Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Live Free and Post Hard imo

I kinda want to see nerd fandoms write a response to that Schulman book about discourse lol

"Actually, Conflict IS Abuse: except of course when I personally do it now if you will excuse me I need to use the language of harmful criminal acts like brainwashing/stalking/rape/etc to describe not enjoying a fantasy movie"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

:golfclap:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Who cares that Twitter's still bad when there's gonna be a goddamned Piss Christ Joker, in IMAX.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AdmiralViscen posted:

Rando Snyder haters routinely Kramer into this thread to deliver some ice cold take about how lovely or objectivist these movies are, what’s your point

The point is that there are definitely people who do it, even on these very forums, and there's no point to pretending otherwise

McCloud posted:

Please stop exposing yourself :(

lol

double lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Who is pretending that 0 Snyder fans have ever “provoked a response” lol

You’re provoking right now

Edit - for content: I think the question is typically “are Snyder fans more toxic/provocative than the average fandom, or specifically Snyder haters” and the answer is “no” IMO

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 22, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AdmiralViscen posted:

Who is pretending that 0 Snyder fans have ever “provoked a response” lol

You’re provoking right now

quote:

Like, they’re selling this idea that Snyder fans online are uniquely toxic and terrible to everyone and it’s like, no, I think they’re just reacting to the blue checks who intentionally provoke them and start the fights in the first place.

No side is innocent in internet war, that's all

quote:

Edit - for content: I think the question is typically “are Snyder fans more toxic/provocative than the average fandom, or specifically Snyder haters” and the answer is “no” IMO

I agree with that answer

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

“Not uniquely toxic” /= “never toxic”

As far as I can tell, the only thing unique about the Snyder fandom is the massive donation drives for suicide prevention. It also happens to be measurable. The criticism of the Variety piece in this thread was that the donation drive is relegated to the end of the article, after repeated unsupported references to the fanbase’ toxicity.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 22, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AdmiralViscen posted:

Don't get me wrong here, I know it's mostly harmless and I'm personally here for the catty drama and fun shitposting, but it's not just reaction is all I'm saying. I agree with the rest!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is parallel to a convo on the Discord where this thread got posted:

https://twitter.com/benbattinsonv3/status/1363895240193572871?s=20

Now, this is the most toxic poo poo you can find from anti-Snyder folk on Twitter and it's important to note that nobody on SA is doing anything remotely close to this. Even the most obnoxious person I've interacted with hasn't been at the "Snyder's daughter killed herself because of his lovely movies lol" level or frankly anywhere close. I wouldn't expect anyone here to answer for the worst of these tweets and legitimately all I ask is that people that are pro-Snyder don't have to acknowledge or answer for idiots on Twitter sending death or rape threats, because none of us are doing that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it owns that people see Joker dressed up as Jesus and take it at face value that Snyder thinks the Joker is Jesus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Roth posted:

I think it owns that people see Joker dressed up as Jesus and take it at face value that Snyder thinks the Joker is Jesus.

I legit want a whole film about this now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Roth posted:

Same, lol.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Makes me sad we didn't get Judge Joker in DKR for comparison. We could get an entire "Pyramid of Capitalism" of Jokers!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
The fact Snyder isnt getting paid for any of his additional work on JL should shut anybody up about the $70mil they spent.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
There were definitely some goons who made those "jokes", and will again, guaranteed. But it is less common/accepted here, which is nice.

AdmiralViscen posted:

The criticism of the Variety piece in this thread was that the donation drive is relegated to the end of the article, after repeated unsupported references to the fanbase’ toxicity.

The article tries to be sympathetic with everyone, even the "critic" who can't understand the difference in comic fan reaction to their glowing review of Shazam or BoP and their tweets about Snyder masturbating while smashing things lmao

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 22, 2021

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

CelticPredator posted:

Now that daft punk broke up I don’t have to watch his slithering weird rear end all over Tron

Aww, what terrible news to see in the 'Dome! :negative:

In regards to the 'toxic Snyder fans', I think it's rather telling how in other threads you can go "Snyder Bad!" all day and no one cares. It's only when someone pushes against that narrative that it becomes intolerable Snyder chat.

In short though, this:

Guy A. Person posted:

Now, this is the most toxic poo poo you can find from anti-Snyder folk on Twitter and it's important to note that nobody on SA is doing anything remotely close to this. Even the most obnoxious person I've interacted with hasn't been at the "Snyder's daughter killed herself because of his lovely movies lol" level or frankly anywhere close. I wouldn't expect anyone here to answer for the worst of these tweets and legitimately all I ask is that people that are pro-Snyder don't have to acknowledge or answer for idiots on Twitter sending death or rape threats, because none of us are doing that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

That people saying that horrible crap in these tweets sure are... something, but that person could have blocked out their names and profile pictures because this kind of crap will just send people who otherwise wouldn't know about those tweets their way to harass them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Otoh, gently caress around and find out

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah obviously, which is why I say in that very quote you just made “uniquely terrible.”

If one of the most warped fanbases on the internet was that of a children’s cartoon about ponies, I don’t think there’s any use in trying to attach the “toxicity” of a fanbase to its subject - let alone how the definition of toxicity has changed. I remember when it meant feminists were interrupted on the street by people who recognized them online threatening to kill them, now apparently it means rude tweets and snake emojis. The people Snyder fans direct their ire at are the very same people whose job it is to report on the movie industry, because their reports are repeatedly outright wrong, so these individuals wind up having a skewed perspective. Like, imagine interviewing a squirrel on the “toxicity” of dogs.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jimbot posted:

That people saying that horrible crap in these tweets sure are... something, but that person could have blocked out their names and profile pictures because this kind of crap will just send people who otherwise wouldn't know about those tweets their way to harass them.

I'm not active on twitter but is it really etiquette to block out people's names on stuff they publicly post? I know it is on FB because those are as a rule only available to their friends and typically use real names. This seems like it's just...sharing what people feel comfortable publicly saying.

If the OP did breech etiquette tho that sucks, but just furthers my argument that Twitter is a live cesspool to be avoided at all costs

Violator
May 15, 2003

Robot Style posted:

An interesting early idea from the Vanity Fair article:

"She was my world, and you took her from me"

:aaa: Obviously the original rumor was Darkseid or Steppenwolf killing Lois in the Batcave with Batman powerless to stop it, but this is super interesting too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can’t even think of a movie I hate off the top of my head. Let alone dedicate part of my day to angrily tweeting about. The Great Wall was poo poo and actually awful politically but at no point have I gone after Zhang Yimou.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm not active on twitter but is it really etiquette to block out people's names on stuff they publicly post? I know it is on FB because those are as a rule only available to their friends and typically use real names. This seems like it's just...sharing what people feel comfortable publicly saying.

If the OP did breech etiquette tho that sucks, but just furthers my argument that Twitter is a live cesspool to be avoided at all costs

its actually considered good form to block out names.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah. The one in the first group of picture said some truly deranged poo poo and I honestly think they should go seek help. It's on the levels of political pundits saying Bernie's speech tone and body language remind them of their abusive dad or some poo poo. If you're that upset at a Zack Snyder film that you have to post that garbage then you need to take a step back and re-evaluate your life. But despite that, I don't think including their name accomplishes anything other than directing people towards that person. If people saw it at the time and dragged their rear end for that nonsense then so be it but at that point, like I said, you're just showing people who don't know who this random weirdo is and giving them cause to go pile on them.

You can't have a productive conversation about Zack Snyder with that person. They're clearly broken. It's good to have receipts of people being jerks to use to make your case, but block out their names and profile pictures.

Unless the person in question is being horribly racist or a nazi. Then expose that trash.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 22, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

MacheteZombie posted:

But delightfully, if you're a big enough e-celeb it's actually not enough to block out names because a sufficient quantity of people will search the text to find the user anyway. Twitter!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah that's all fair, but like josh is saying it sounds like the best way to win at Twitter is to not play the game lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

josh04 posted:

But delightfully, if you're a big enough e-celeb it's actually not enough to block out names because a sufficient quantity of people will search the text to find the user anyway. Twitter!

Oh for sure. Quote and put twitter in the search will pull up just about any tweet iirc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah that's all fair, but like josh is saying it sounds like the best way to win at Twitter is to not play the game lol

Isn't that obvious?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jimbot posted:

You can't have a productive conversation about Zack Snyder with that person. They're clearly broken. It's good to have receipts of people being jerks to use to make your case, but block out their names and profile pictures.

I mean, the problem is starting to become that you can't have a productive conversation about Snyder period. It's this weird culture war where everyone is on a hair trigger because of past experiences that even the mildest poo poo will set people off, on either side

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I would consider myself a huge fanboy of Snyder and as much as I love the man and his movies, he absolutely should not be this controversial and really hasnt made anything that I think deserves as much drama as his movies stir. Like I get why people dont jive with something like BvS but it should hardly be such a loving hot button movie. Its absolutely unique to the time and place Hollywood is in right now.

Maybe that's part of the destructive feedback loop that surrounds his movies. A lot of very mad critics/nerds and a lot of confused and defensive fans forever struggling to level with eachother because they cannot fundamentally understand the others mindset.

And then a lot of confused and annoyed normal people who have no dog in this fight wondering why the hell any of this is even such a big deal to literally anyone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

I don't see why, if you don't want lasting notoriety and infamy for your hideously lovely opinions then don't post them to a widely used public forum. It's not like Facebook where it easily enables doxxing.

In summary,

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Otoh, gently caress around and find out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can say without even looking for it that there are some people who are angry that Snyder wanted to do a Bruce Wayne/Lois Lane romance who use the the DCAU as a counter-example for everything they hate Snyder about who will conviently ignore when it happened in Superman TAS. (Sorry for the run on sentence)

It's also been nice to see people gatekeeping the Leonard Cohen song eating crow today.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I can say without even looking for it that there are some people who are angry that Snyder wanted to do a Bruce Wayne/Lois Lane romance who use the the DCAU as a counter-example for everything they hate Snyder about who will conviently ignore when it happened in Superman TAS. (Sorry for the run on sentence)

It's also been nice to see people gatekeeping the Leonard Cohen song eating crow today.

The Not My Superman people (at least the relatively younger ones) love to bring up Superman TAS/Justice League and always get egg on their face for it. And that's not in the least to the DCAU's detriment.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Eh, igoring the twitter stuff cause honestly it's not worth it, but yeah it's no surprise that cover of hallelujah holds a very special place in his heart, the Autumn parts of this story are heartbreaking.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Is Army of the Dead the first feature film Snyder has shot digitally?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

KVeezy3 posted:

I think so, If you don't count Legend of the Guardians as being "shot" digitally. He's used digital Phantom cameras for slow mo stuff, but never as the primary camera.

He also did the Snow Steam Iron short with an iphone, but that wasn't feature-length.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Thank you! I'm curious if if we'll be able to detect any differences in his shooting style in AOTD, and if he will continue to shoot digitally going forward. But he does love IMAX cameras so, it will probably depend on the project.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

He also did his own cinematography, so that'll be interesting.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

KVeezy3 posted:

Man, Christopher Nolan is having a bad year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Man, Christopher Nolan is having a bad year

Speaking of him, I would love to see his and Deborah Snyder's reaction to Josstice League.

Probably a mix of :catstare: and :smithfrog:.