Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Hot new product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Eox posted:

is wandavision actually good or are people just falling over themselves for Hot New Product? every still image i've seen has made me furious

lol why are the still images making you furious

i'm sure for a lot of people it's largely the dazzle of the mcu doing something new and weird relative by their standards/the absence of anything else, and the central gimmick doesn't always work for me, but they do a lot of interesting stuff with it from a formal perspective.

if you're generally allergic to mcu poo poo, i doubt this'll be any different, but otherwise i'd say it's good so far. if you like bettany or olsen but didn't like how tertiary they've been in other mcu stuff, they get a lot to do here, and kathryn hahn and teyonah parris are real good as well.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Eox posted:

is wandavision actually good or are people just falling over themselves for Hot New Product? every still image i've seen has made me furious

If you like marvel movies you will like wandavision. If you do not like marvel movies you will not like wandavision.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Wasn't there some '60s-'70s anarchist protest theorist who was literally CIA?

Gene Sharp? I don't think he identified as anarchist, but anarchisty liberals love him.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Conservatives absolutely love loving around with other cultures for the hell of it

The first season of the revived series Doctor Who with Eccleston addressed this but the fans didn't seem to realize it at the time. The Doctor helps defeat some bad guys on a space station that are controlling earth and leaves. A few episodes later he comes back to the same space station 100 years later and even worse bad guys have taken over. It turned out his liberal interventionism achieved nothing and probably made the situation worse. This was in 2005, so Blair was still PM at the time.

The show never really explored that viewpoint any deeper, at least through the 12th Doctor. I haven't watched in a few years.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Eox posted:

It's an interesting concept which is competently (albeit very safely and unsubtly) executed. Its a good 30min time sink to get stoned to once a week.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

thatfatkid posted:

It's an interesting concept which is competently (albeit very safely and unsubtly) executed. Its a good 30min time sink to get stoned to once a week.

and seven of those minutes are foreign language credits

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

takes like this are so loving interminable. I guess up until 2013 we had overwhelming success getting through to the far right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i like the gimmick of wandavision but i don't like anything that happens outside of that world. i don't like the MCU but i watched a lot of nick at nite as a kid

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

indigi posted:

takes like this are so loving interminable. I guess up until 2013 we had overwhelming success getting through to the far right

republicans were respectable* back then and were so much more reasonable** to work with

*acted exactly the same but didn't say the word "pussy" in public
**literally no different in any way

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Seth's just sad his buddy rush died

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i saw a picture of daft punk unmasked and they look like loving nerds. I'm glad theyre dead

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

DoubleDonut posted:

republicans were respectable* back then and were so much more reasonable** to work with

*acted exactly the same but didn't say the word "pussy" in public
**literally no different in any way

the most respectable Republican being John McCain, who is dead, who once said that Chelsea Clinton was the product of Hillary and Janet Reno.

liberals are hogs

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/NickLutsko/status/1363877016920072193?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

if you won't accept the jesus joker into your heart, are you even really alive?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Low Desert Punk posted:

i saw a picture of daft punk unmasked and they look like loving nerds. I'm glad theyre dead

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

In a very Disney move that last episode of Wandavision had a good villian song

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn't watch Wandavision because I'm fully invested in the latest Goon darling sci-fi show that gets bad after a season and a half.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I didn't watch Wandavision because I'm fully invested in the latest Goon darling sci-fi show that gets bad after a season and a half.

Oh, are we obsessing over Firefly agai-

Whoops!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wheeee posted:

the first iron man movie that started this whole mess was pretty good

Yeah it told a story about how america actually did get to win the war on terror after years of fuckups, it was great despite the weak third act. Don't forget the casting of RDJ as a rich playboy with alcohol problems

That summer had iron man, dark knight and hellboy 2 in a months time

What drives me nuts about wandavision is all the journalists calling it "lynchian" when it wasn't, then it doing a "let's change each episode to reflect an era of tv" and skipping right past twin peaks

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Feb 23, 2021

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

indigi posted:

I'm curious what, in Seth's view, "getting through to the far right" entails, or why that's a thing we'd even want to do

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Hell, who even is "we" here lmao

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Low Desert Punk posted:

Their last album was released over seven years ago.

Edit: Discovery still holds up, tho.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

mastershakeman posted:

What drives me nuts about wandavision is all the journalists calling it "lynchian" when it wasn't, then it doing a "let's change each episode to reflect an era of tv" and skipping right past twin peaks

Lol yeah the Media Blitz at the start of wandavision calling it lynchian was hilarious. Literally babies first exposure to "surrealism".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wandavision's pacing is so bad. It's taking them forever for anything to happen.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I enjoyed the 4th episode where the showrunners recap the previous 3 episodes and more or less spoonfeed the audience.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Batman protected money changers

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
at one point Marvel Entertainment was going to do a pilot for Damage Control as a workplace comedy a la that one DC sitcom where characters would go "Whoah look at that big fight between Superman and his nemesis the Noncegobbler! No you can't see it." but that fell through

god, they'll probably try to renew the idea but as a prestige tv show pitched as The Wire With Superheroes

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Gene Sharp? I don't think he identified as anarchist, but anarchisty liberals love him.

The first season of the revived series Doctor Who with Eccleston addressed this but the fans didn't seem to realize it at the time. The Doctor helps defeat some bad guys on a space station that are controlling earth and leaves. A few episodes later he comes back to the same space station 100 years later and even worse bad guys have taken over. It turned out his liberal interventionism achieved nothing and probably made the situation worse. This was in 2005, so Blair was still PM at the time.

The show never really explored that viewpoint any deeper, at least through the 12th Doctor. I haven't watched in a few years.

I hear the most recent incarnation of the Doctor helped save Planet Amazon from irascible workers so :guillotine:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Eox posted:

i have not and will never see it but i think you know the answer to this

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Someone plz tell me what's good to watch apart from allegedly DS9

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Wrath of Khan is a genuinely fun dumb space opera even when removed from everything else Star Trek related.

unless you’re talking about just wanting, like, things to watch in general

Gremlins 2 then OP

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/1363623437466431488

im the guy at disney marathoning the muppet show to try and figure out which bits were offensive enough to warrant a disclaimer

We almost deprogrammed Chud Johnson, who expressed his hatred of Jews and his belief that they control the media. Then Disney put a disclaimer on their old 70s show and he relapsed.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Babylon 5

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Tricky D posted:

Babylon 5

Avenue 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Zr3f-_Ft8

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

whoa i've never heard of this

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Seth MacFarlane worried about getting disclaimers put in front of his old episodes.

New episodes, too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Seth MacFarlane worried about getting disclaimers put in front of his old episodes.

New episodes, too.

Family Guy is still incredibly transphobic in season 18 or whatever it's up to now

I don't know if that's just a tic that McFarlane can't get out of his head or he keeps doing it out of audience expectations

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

first they came for the muppets and i said nothing because i was not a muppet

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Helluva problem you got there bud

https://twitter.com/EastWestAllis/status/1364053341534306304

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

does the muppet 2015 reboot with explicit sex jokes also have a content warning or is everyone just doing their best to pretend that never happened