Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

porfiria posted:

The French knights fought mostly dismounted at Poitiers and Agincourt, two of the classic battles where French Fancy Lads were slaughtered by English yeomen.

So Brettonian mounted knights are actually Non Flavorful and Bad.

However, the Bretonnians are not French. They are English with their rightful and original accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Cythereal posted:

However, the Bretonnians are not French. They are English with their rightful and original accents.

Well, English knights fought dismounted even more than the French.

Also, Brettonians live in Brittany.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

porfiria posted:

Well, English knights fought dismounted even more than the French.

Also, Brettonians live in Brittany.

Look, if you want Bretonnian new infantry, get some shirtless woad-wearing madmen.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fuligin posted:

apropos of nothing, i really hope the norse dwarves get an LL eventually

Hell yeah

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gonkish posted:

Bretonnia needs to confederate less conveniently when I'm trying to murder them off. loving Louen is always like "YOU THOUGHT I WAS DOOMED, BUT NO!" whenever I get him down to one city that is under siege. loving notFrench horse fuckers. I will burn-kill your world-barn down with warpfire!

In general I would very much like if, at least for some factions, recent military expansion / contraction affected confederation chances. like if you just went from 11 cities to 1, nobody should be joining that under any circumstances... and by the same token if I just steamrolled Lustria in like 20 turns, Itza should be willing to confederate goddamnit >:(

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Look, if you want Bretonnian new infantry, get some shirtless woad-wearing madmen.

Albion exists. They even have models! Once.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Norse Dwarfs would be the... how long can you last campaign wouldn't it? I can only imagine them getting fuuuuucked. It would be awesome to try to defend Krakka Drak vs Norsca, then WoC, and finally Daemons too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

albion would be a cool swerve dlc

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

give Be'lakor an Albion startpos

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
CA add the moot this is a lawyer

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Since they're finally expanding the map and lore to the far east it's time to introduce people to the most dangerous and powerful Warhammer faction of all... Chaos Halflings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

albany academy posted:

That would be cool. Duels would be sick in general though, just need to grab it from 3K.

There's a ton more animation work to do though. Unless the duels are just them trading generic blows instead of animated 3K style which would be kinda lame.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
My kokoro wish is still a drycha-like gnoblar lord. Just hordes upon hordes of even shittier goblins fighting with scraps and riding pigs. It will literally never happen but a man can dream right?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

albany academy posted:

That would be cool. Duels would be sick in general though, just need to grab it from 3K.

3K could do it because all their lords are humans and have like 5 weapon types they can reuse models for. Meanwhile TWW has a plethora of not only monstrous non-human lords who would need animations both for fighting human-sized lords and each other but also a ton of weird bespoke mounts that change a lot about the characters. Not to mention special one offs like Skarsnik or the sisters who have multiple models acting as one 'lord'

Like you'd be looking at doing roughly the equivalent of doing all the animation work they did for TWW2 combined again for a feature that most people don't even really like in 3K.

Or they could limit it to roughly human-sized dudes but that would be lame as hell.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Imagine a kholek duel lol

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Collapsing Farts posted:

How the hell did Norsca of all places manage to muster up armies massive enough to gently caress over the world

The Empire was based off the historical 30 Years War period Holy Roman Empire which was at the time getting its rear end kicked by Sweden.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Psycho Landlord posted:

Imagine a kholek duel lol

Just reuse the Space Marine vs Bloodthirster animations from Dawn of War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKHsj5y8UL8

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I'd legit like to ask the "more toys always good" posters if there's a line, and where it is. Like, if your view is "more units always good" why wouldn't the end-goal be to have every factions in a vaguely all-rounder state, with access to every category of unit at least once, and differences be mainly in tuning and aesthetics? If you can always just choose not to use the units, what's wrong with adding one or more dragons, one or more monsterous infantry, one or more monstrous cavalry, etc... until no faction is missing anything major? So, where do you draw the line? Again, I'm legit very curious to know, not posting this rhetorically.

This is a weird turn to see the thread take, because up until now every time someone brings up a big overhaul mod that adds tons of units the response has generally been "that mod is bloated to gently caress". I'm aware that SFO has apparently gotten good (?) and the major overhaul mods are no longer riddled with nazi devs (???), was that what turned the previous opinions?

I lurk the thread and have posted before, but by all means run this dumb conversation-gatekeeping retort into the ground. "You must have X posts ITT to be valid", lol

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

KPC_Mammon posted:

I hate seeing proven to be false libertarian nonsense in my videogames and this is why I won't use SFO.

That and it makes battles into a slog and slows down the campaign even more.

No taxes for the homeland with constant foreign invasions for looting isn't a libertarian thing. It's an expansionist pillage economy, and real nations did pull it off for a short while. Bellum se ipsum alet. Eventually one runs out of places to easily conquer or loot. But that's a problem for the future.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I mean the response to that question is just gonna be some "well the units have to be good and thematic and kosher and whatever" because this was always an extremely dumb conversation the way it was presented and was never going to have a resolution beyond "lol" as soon as people decided shitposting about Brets being perfect needed to be the battle you died fighting

It's just that all the units suggested were also bad

I mean for an honest, no bullshit, genuinely earnest "it'd be cool to add" standpoint, the Bret roster wouldn't be remiss with some actual unmounted Grail Knights or something. But here's the thing - They already have Foot Squires. Foot Squires legit fill this role. They aren't the best at it, at all, and they don't need to be. Because, again, the Brettonian roster isn't actually missing any tools. It doesn't have the same tools as everyone else does for every situation, and that apparently short circuits people, but there is no area of the game where the Brets cannot present an answer in the form of a combat unit - unlike several races and flying units, I might add.

People tried to turn this into some kind of meta "oh well people just don't like change or whatever" and completely ignored the actual retorts people gave to this while claiming no one read their posts, which was pretty great.

PS Unnerf Questing Knights, what could go wrong (again)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Psycho Landlord posted:

I mean the response to that question is just gonna be some "well the units have to be good and thematic and kosher and whatever" because this was always an extremely dumb conversation the way it was presented and was never going to have a resolution beyond "lol" as soon as people decided shitposting about Brets being perfect needed to be the battle you died fighting

It's just that all the units suggested were also bad

I mean for an honest, no bullshit, genuinely earnest "it'd be cool to add" standpoint, the Bret roster wouldn't be remiss with some actual unmounted Grail Knights or something. But here's the thing - They already have Foot Squires. Foot Squires legit fill this role. They aren't the best at it, at all, and they don't need to be. Because, again, the Brettonian roster isn't actually missing any tools. It doesn't have the same tools as everyone else does for every situation, and that apparently short circuits people, but there is no area of the game where the Brets cannot present an answer in the form of a combat unit - unlike several races and flying units, I might add.

People tried to turn this into some kind of meta "oh well people just don't like change or whatever" and completely ignored the actual retorts people gave to this while claiming no one read their posts, which was pretty great.

PS Unnerf Questing Knights, what could go wrong (again)

i started writing something that more or less came to 'i really don't know what they're missing' a couple of times and just gave up because it was way more fun to shitpost

but i legit want graildivers as a RoR, how do i get this to CA's attention

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the French won the hundred years war but english speaking people only know the battles the english won

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

KazigluBey posted:

I'd legit like to ask the "more toys always good" posters if there's a line, and where it is. Like, if your view is "more units always good" why wouldn't the end-goal be to have every factions in a vaguely all-rounder state, with access to every category of unit at least once, and differences be mainly in tuning and aesthetics? If you can always just choose not to use the units, what's wrong with adding one or more dragons, one or more monsterous infantry, one or more monstrous cavalry, etc... until no faction is missing anything major? So, where do you draw the line? Again, I'm legit very curious to know, not posting this rhetorically.

This is a weird turn to see the thread take, because up until now every time someone brings up a big overhaul mod that adds tons of units the response has generally been "that mod is bloated to gently caress". I'm aware that SFO has apparently gotten good (?) and the major overhaul mods are no longer riddled with nazi devs (???), was that what turned the previous opinions?

I lurk the thread and have posted before, but by all means run this dumb conversation-gatekeeping retort into the ground. "You must have X posts ITT to be valid", lol

I just went and did a quick-and-dirty count - excluding lords, heroes, campaign-exclusive units, subfaction-unique units, and Regiments of Renown but including "variant" units like poison arrows or whatever (it was easier to count quickly that way). The current rosters are as follows:

Bmen: 21
VC: 22
Bret: 24
TK: 24
VSea: 25
Dawi: 26
WElves: 26
Emp: 27
Norsca: 27
WoC: 27
DElves: 29
HElves: 29
Skaven: 29
Lizards: 33
GS: 37

Looking at the highest counts, Greenskins are very much a kitchen-sink faction but the Lizardmen really aren't IMO. I'd say that each race could easily get to 30-35 units before having any risk of... thematic dilution? I guess would be the term. The monster-mash factions are at a bit more of an advantage, but even for the more traditional lineups there's I think there's plenty of opportunity. The big overhaul mods feel bloated because their new units have lazy design, not because of the raw number of units. The DLCs have only partially been about filling roster gaps; they're more often just adding more to existing strengths or giving out well-designed toys that remain pretty niche. I think the only "essential" things that have come out of the WH2 DLCs are Silverin Guard, the Skaven weapons teams, and maybe Wolf Rats, Sisters of Avelorn and/or Scourgerunner Chariots. None of the other additions have ended up being race-defining.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Nah one of the early WH1 DLCs added some much needed stuff to the greenskins, they were really lacking at launch.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think the best part of SFO getting dragged into this conversation is that it adds six units to the Bretonnians:

1) Men-at-Arms with Maces, which are still garbage and are just there so your trash infantry feel like they're doing something against anything that isn't other chaff units;
2) Men-at-Arms with Longbows, probably the only notable addition to the roster since they're legit better than, say, Empire Crossbowmen and have a decent place in the army;
3) Herrimaults, which are a tad bit better than the Longbow Men-at-Arms but inflict a leadership penalty to allies, along with stripping them of Immune to Psychology (which is very painful);
4) Hermit Knights, a unique Legendary Unit squad of 13 weaker Paladins, just there to be a neat gimmick thing;
5) Lost Sons of Bretonnia, a hero version of the above, made as an experimental foray into multi-model heroes based on that one bit of Bretonnian lore;
6) and Knights Errant on Foot, which are unique to garrisons and can't be recruited at all.

So yeah, SFO "bloats" the Bretonnian roster by adding some fun gimmick stuff for funning around in the campaign, and also a pair of archer units that aren't complete poo poo and are largely still made irrelevant by flying cavalry.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 23, 2021

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
bloat isnt even relevant. you can put every unit in the game into one faction and most of the time your armies are still only gonna contain 3 unit types because of recruitment limitations

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Haha, what.

Bretonnian archers are incredibly good for their cost and are seen in MP all the time. Hell, they're plenty usable in campaign too, because poison is an incredibly powerful debuff - particularly since it doesn't effect your own stuff anymore - and fire damage is very useful against quite a few dangerous targets - like, say, practically anything with regen (plus tree spirits, helpful given you're right next to Athel Loren). Even the basic ones have decent damage if that's all you need. Getting a pseudo-T2 archer unit for Bretonnia isn't a huge lore problem, but they don't remotely need them for army balance.

If you want to build some super archer deathstack, maybe you should play a faction that actually makes sense for? But for combined arms, Bretonnian archers are perfectly fine.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

All the SFO complaints were actually levelled at the dumbshit campaign map mechanics more than unit additions, they were just happening in tandem with BretGate

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Psycho Landlord posted:

All the SFO complaints were actually levelled at the dumbshit campaign map mechanics more than unit additions, they were just happening in tandem with BretGate

This.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i want my goddamn graildivers

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Zore posted:

3K could do it because all their lords are humans and have like 5 weapon types they can reuse models for. Meanwhile TWW has a plethora of not only monstrous non-human lords who would need animations both for fighting human-sized lords and each other but also a ton of weird bespoke mounts that change a lot about the characters. Not to mention special one offs like Skarsnik or the sisters who have multiple models acting as one 'lord'

Like you'd be looking at doing roughly the equivalent of doing all the animation work they did for TWW2 combined again for a feature that most people don't even really like in 3K.

Or they could limit it to roughly human-sized dudes but that would be lame as hell.

Its 100% just wishful thinking, and i dug the duel mechanic but i also ran it with a bunch of dynasty warriors mods lol

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

I just went and did a quick-and-dirty count - excluding lords, heroes, campaign-exclusive units, subfaction-unique units, and Regiments of Renown but including "variant" units like poison arrows or whatever (it was easier to count quickly that way). The current rosters are as follows:

Looking at the highest counts, Greenskins are very much a kitchen-sink faction but the Lizardmen really aren't IMO. I'd say that each race could easily get to 30-35 units before having any risk of... thematic dilution? I guess would be the term. The monster-mash factions are at a bit more of an advantage, but even for the more traditional lineups there's I think there's plenty of opportunity. The big overhaul mods feel bloated because their new units have lazy design, not because of the raw number of units. The DLCs have only partially been about filling roster gaps; they're more often just adding more to existing strengths or giving out well-designed toys that remain pretty niche. I think the only "essential" things that have come out of the WH2 DLCs are Silverin Guard, the Skaven weapons teams, and maybe Wolf Rats, Sisters of Avelorn and/or Scourgerunner Chariots. None of the other additions have ended up being race-defining.

Armor piercing goblins

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

orangelex44 posted:

Your entire schtick is dumb.

Brettonia is good because it has limitations. If it didn't have limitations that make sense in the context of it's fluff, it would be the Empire. Or it would water down the game and make it Total War: Rome original.

The best way I learned the value of limitations was through poetry. I thought poetry was dumb, and boring. But I had a good teacher who took the time to explain that setting parameters and forcing yourself to limit your choice to a very small amount makes each word more important.

Similarly, having the cheesy oui oui French knights have a comical peasantry of unmotivated foot troops and powerful cavalry let's their strengths shine all the more because if you want to play an all cav army you are probably gonna go Brets. I've done so, it is hilarious and fun to play an all Knights of the Realm army and smash undead and orcs and rats underhoof.

Have you played Brettonia? I understand the idea of them needing love and maybe an update. However your ideas aren't really bringing discussion around that, mostly you're drive by posting and then everyone is spending pages explaining why you're wrong. Then you come back and go "Well, it would be really cool if they had this though!!"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i want my goddamn graildivers

:hmmyes:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well, I was able to turn that HElves campaign around literally just by buying the DLC and using the Sisters of Avelorne unit. Finished the final battle with only 150 casualties. I could go for a domination victory now but that would require sailing to the bottom of not Africa to take out the last of Naggarond and I can't be assed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I played more co-op with my brother, and between us we control everything on the donut now except for a few settlements Cothique has. I was going to leave Chrace alone too, at least until we or they finished off Skaelings (which I've since wiped out) and Aghol, but my brother confederated them and hosed up any possibility for pretty borders since he's Tyrion and I'm Alarielle and had already confederated Eltharion. I finished off Sartosa, so for the time being Noctilus showing up every now and then to get owned is really the only threat we're seeing so far since the blood voyages never showed up. Alith Anar seems to be doing a good job of dealing with the dark elves on his own so far, so I think I'll let my brother decide if there's more stuff he wants to do (like finishing off Noctilus or taking the fight to Malekith) or if he wants to try another campiagn start now that elf island is turning into a snooze.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 23, 2021

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Me over here, playing albion on OvN

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nah one of the early WH1 DLCs added some much needed stuff to the greenskins, they were really lacking at launch.

albany academy posted:

Armor piercing goblins

orangelex44 posted:

I think the only "essential" things that have come out of the WH2 DLCs are...

Psycho Landlord posted:

while claiming no one read their posts,

I loving wonder why.

stackofflapjacks posted:

Your entire schtick is dumb.

Brettonia is good because it has limitations. If it didn't have limitations that make sense in the context of it's fluff, it would be the Empire. Or it would water down the game and make it Total War: Rome original.

The best way I learned the value of limitations was through poetry. I thought poetry was dumb, and boring. But I had a good teacher who took the time to explain that setting parameters and forcing yourself to limit your choice to a very small amount makes each word more important.

Similarly, having the cheesy oui oui French knights have a comical peasantry of unmotivated foot troops and powerful cavalry let's their strengths shine all the more because if you want to play an all cav army you are probably gonna go Brets. I've done so, it is hilarious and fun to play an all Knights of the Realm army and smash undead and orcs and rats underhoof.

Have you played Brettonia? I understand the idea of them needing love and maybe an update. However your ideas aren't really bringing discussion around that, mostly you're drive by posting and then everyone is spending pages explaining why you're wrong. Then you come back and go "Well, it would be really cool if they had this though!!"

None of this is relevant at all to the quoted post? Someone asked a question ("I'd legit like to ask the "more toys always good" posters if there's a line, and where it is") and I answered it ("I'd say that each race could easily get to 30-35 units"). I included pertinent information (what the current numbers are), and discussed the second claim from the other poster ("every time someone brings up a big overhaul mod that adds tons of units the response has generally been 'that mod is bloated to gently caress"'"). Please, explain how I'm the drive-by poster here.

It's basically impossible to both a) reply to multiple people while b) keeping a reasonable total post length. Especially when the conversation lasts for more than one day. What frustrates me (and, increasingly, just pisses me off) is that when I make an honest attempt to address all the individual points being made, people just go "lol gently caress off tryhard you're a moron" at worst, or "let me pull out this three-word sequence of a three-hundred word post and ignore everything else". There's no good reply to either position; another long post would also get ignored, while a short memey one just pisses people off. If you, or anyone, has a good suggestion on how to answer posts like this one please let me know.

There's no way to progress a coherent discussion when poo poo like that continually happens, and it leads to more and more mischaracterization of my position. I do not have an issue with limitations. I think they are fun to work around and core to what a "game" even is. I do not want Bretonnia to become a generalist faction like the Empire. That's almost the exact opposite of my goal. What I want is give them some units that aren't loving infantry or carbon copies of existing units on other rosters, in order to make them stand out more. The Wood Elves could have just been High Elves, but more shooty... but instead they also get these crazy wood spirits and their Wild Hunt lines of light/medium cav. I just think it would be nice if Bretonnia could be characterized as "Empire, but more knightly... and they also get XXXX and YYYY." I don't especially care how to reach that point, I'm not dedicated to my unit suggestions specifically.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

You're a pedant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just want Cathay info, and I want to burninate Louen without him confederating literally every other Bretonnian faction to end up sending stack after stack of Grail Knights at my rear end while also somehow being an unkillable, flying tank of doom.

But mostly I want Cathay info.