Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fits my needs posted:

i mean, what even is a war crime?

Cool and fun activities that troops do and people get angry about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

one advantage a digital dollar would have is that instead of the federal reserve controlling liquidity, it could be done by some rando in cyprus

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

another advantage is that the united states could get hacked and have all its money stolen by some guy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's the deal with 5.11 pants, anyway? Is there more to them than being good pants that happen to be popular with vets, LEOs and 'tacticool' types?

thalweg posted:

It's not real canoeing unless it's from the canoe region of Iraq. Otherwise it's just sparkling war crime

:emptyquote:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Rutibex posted:

war is a crime

Dustcat posted:

one advantage a digital dollar would have is that instead of the federal reserve controlling liquidity, it could be done by some rando in cyprus

So... like now?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Accretionist posted:

What's the deal with 5.11 pants, anyway? Is there more to them than being good pants that happen to be popular with vets, LEOs and 'tacticool' types?

5.11 tactical gear in tom clancy's the division 2 provides a high armor bonus with stacking bonuses to health and recovery with each piece you equip, I assume the same happens in real life

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Cold on a Cob posted:

those are the same people that get the most pissed when the person serving them food or whatever is a bit slow or not great at their job too

that same guy i mentioned earlier said when he went to restaurants to eat he would put a stack of loonies on the table for the waiter's tip and take one away every time the server hosed up. i subsequently learned this is a "joke" that a lot of shitheads tell but i'm 100% convinced he did it for real.

like five years after i worked with him i was doing a bike ride for charity and i accidentally cc'd him when i sent out my "pls support me" email. instead of just ignoring it he sent back a long diatribe about how and why he doesn't support charity

gently caress that dude, I waited tables and bartended for a bit I always tip like 40-50%.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Accretionist posted:

I bought a nylon 5.11 belt online once because my skin hates metal buckles and it had good reviews and now I get tons of conservative 2A spam email. Big mistake.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

digital dollars aint even real yet? my landlord's been gettin' ripped off this whole time lmao.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Accretionist posted:

They are pretty good pants for what you pay for and they last forever. I wear jeans as my daily and to this day I'm still running out of pocket space.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mr Hootington posted:

All troops suck. Shut up about your beloved war crimes and how people steal Valor. Nobody cares

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/StockJabber/status/1364262526729527298?s=20

anyways, the ARK fund is currently imploding, all their holdings are going down together and that correlation across different sectors/cap size is a bad omen for them

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i assume predatory shorts creating performance death spirals is a sign of good fundamentals

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sounds like they need to pause trading to let investors recalibrate their positions.

Blinkz
Oct 8, 2008
Oxsnard has restored my faith in the "doomsday" part of economics. I want to believe!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so is ARK a particularly special fund that's pensions for babies or something or are we just paying attention to it because they happen to be the one hedge fund among a dozen that's imploding right now

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm not saying the mattering is here, but this company blowing up will be a thing

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

oxsnard posted:

the vix is still in contango, not even close to it being fun yet

what does this mean. [action guy voice] can the technobabble nerd put it in english

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

so is ARK a particularly special fund that's pensions for babies or something or are we just paying attention to it because they happen to be the one hedge fund among a dozen that's imploding right now

they're not a hedge fund, they run ETFs which they exclusively sell to retail morons

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

mila kunis posted:

what does this mean. [action guy voice] can the technobabble nerd put it in english

contango is the opposite of backwardation you moron

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

oxsnard posted:

they're not a hedge fund, they run ETFs which they exclusively sell to retail morons

So a sham.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

markets really got canoed today. big beautiful V shape

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
hedge funds charge u 2 & 20 (2% of principal plus 20% of profits) and they generally don't put half their assets in outsized positions in illiquid microcaps. ARK charges 0.75% and takes a huge amount of the risk themselves. It's extremely hilarious

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

markets really got canoed today. big beautiful V shape

:vince:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

nah running an etf is an actual business, you charge a little bit and provide liquidity to market participants

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
These moments where you start having talk of vulture hedge funds taking on heavy short positions to mug another hedge fund are really illuminating. Companies can be broken, jobs disappear, and massive amounts of money will be lost because of people pushing paper back and forth on computers in New Jersey, utterly divorced from the real world performance of the companies.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Dustcat posted:

i assume predatory shorts creating performance death spirals is a sign of good fundamentals

Yes. Capitalism needs a good wildfire to burn away the weeds so the mighty Redwood will flourish.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

These moments where you start having talk of vulture hedge funds taking on heavy short positions to mug another hedge fund are really illuminating. Companies can be broken, jobs disappear, and massive amounts of money will be lost because of people pushing paper back and forth on computers in New Jersey, utterly divorced from the real world performance of the companies.

Nobody even pushes paper anymore. A bunch of math nerds and computer touchers set themselves up in Jersey because they were on a closer fiber optic hop to the markets which meant their automated poo poo hit nano seconds before other firms did and used that to win monies.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
like they don't even get to keep almost any of the profit gains from their extremely risky speculative picks

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

They focus on 'disruption' stuff. Grew 150%+ last year to become the largest active ETF. And broadly speaking, Reddit loves Ark CEO Cathie Wood and think she's the next Warren Buffet.

I haven't looked into them but they seem to have been well positioned to catch all of last year's hypes.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

give me blood I want blood

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
me reading stonk charts and marking them up like a technical trader

https://twitter.com/Keubiko/status/1364226607527854083?s=20

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

MysteriousStranger posted:

Nobody even pushes paper anymore. A bunch of math nerds and computer touchers set themselves up in Jersey because they were on a closer fiber optic hop to the markets which meant their automated poo poo hit nano seconds before other firms did and used that to win monies.

Didn't they move the NYSE computers (meaning the actual NYSE) to Newark or somewhere in Jersey?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
yeah the nyse floor is just theatre now

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Cold on a Cob posted:

me reading stonk charts and marking them up like a technical trader

https://twitter.com/Keubiko/status/1364226607527854083?s=20

Who accidentally fed the TSLA fundamentals? You know that's toxic right...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Last I heard they were putting the infrastructure even closer than that, like smack dab in the middle of Wall Street to decrease latency.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Wall Street traders reacting as stock market plunges:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Provide useful services? :catstare: $13 dollars an hour and you better be loving grateful

Crowding around a network node to move money around a nanosecond faster than the other guy? :hmmyes: Very productive and important work, here is all the money.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

skooma512 posted:

Provide useful services? :catstare: $13 dollars an hour and you better be loving grateful

Crowding around a network node to move money around a nanosecond faster than the other guy? :hmmyes: Very productive and important work, here is all the money.
Making the number go up is the most important job in the world, everyone in this thread knows that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gorson posted:

Last I heard they were putting the infrastructure even closer than that, like smack dab in the middle of Wall Street to decrease latency.

and wall street has boxes full of hundreds of meters of spooled fiber cable to try and slow them down