Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
We posting our pets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Jagged Jim posted:

We posting our pets?

Nice, it comes with an umbrella.

This one had "Untameable" in species description. I guess it was incorrect.

Giant mite, very playful

I found this one in a frozen cave, I want to make his spawn even smaller

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I have an enormous gentle diplo for riding around on, height maxed out and waiting to hatch.

Now I need to make a tiny hyper aggressive cat for combat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is taming/breeding expensive?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Is taming/breeding expensive?

No. Taming just costs a creature pellet, and gene meddling can be done with pretty much every substance in the game. Whatever you have lying around in your inventory will probably be fine. Maxing out my diplos height (so increasing it's height like 20 times until it wouldn't let me anymore) cost me a bunch of chromatic metal, nothing rare is required.

The only pricey bit is unlocking the last couple of creature slots, which cost increasing amounts of nanites, up to 10k for the last one.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

What can I spend such amounts of money on? Buying materials to build bases? Upgrading ships? Gifting them in Nexus?

blarzgh posted:

S-Class Freighter: $180,000,000
S-Class Starship: $8 - $120,000,000 (can own 6 total)
Backpack Slots: $50,000 - $1,000,000 (108 total)
Starship Slots: $1 - $300,000,000/slot (up to 48, across 6 starships)

Plus once you have enough cash you get to just buy whatever materials you want, never have to lazer rocks and trees again.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Maxing out my diplos height (so increasing it's height like 20 times until it wouldn't let me anymore) cost me a bunch of chromatic metal, nothing rare is required.

Need Pics

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

blarzgh posted:

Need Pics

Still got a few hours before hatching! I'm hyped to load it up in VR and see how ludicrously huge it is.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I have finally achieved my own giant Elder God squid beast, by finding a tiny one and sequencing the hell out of its egg.

She is 11.3 meters tall and has 100% devotion to me. For scale, that thing that looks like a little tuft of hair between her eyes is actually me riding. And she's still an infant in this picture (I don't know if that means they still get bigger as they mature?)

I may still try to make a bigger offspring, I don't think she's size capped yet.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Dwesa posted:

What can I spend such amounts of money on? Buying materials to build bases? Upgrading ships? Gifting them in Nexus?

You can't give units directly, but you can give valuable items to other players. Don't go overboard, though; it just ruins the experience for newbies if you just hand 'em like a hundred million units worth of items.

I like to give out drop pod coordinates; sometimes you can buy big bundles of 'em from trade terminals or the occasional tech merchant (the ones in minor settlements or the big archives that sell some random blueprints and components).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

I have finally achieved my own giant Elder God squid beast, by finding a tiny one and sequencing the hell out of its egg.

She is 11.3 meters tall and has 100% devotion to me. For scale, that thing that looks like a little tuft of hair between her eyes is actually me riding. And she's still an infant in this picture (I don't know if that means they still get bigger as they mature?)

I may still try to make a bigger offspring, I don't think she's size capped yet.

beautiful.

From what I can tell, they don't grow anymore after hatching, and 12m (in the description) seems to be the size cap, but there is some weirdness going on with creature heads, as I've hatched several biologicals so far after sequencing their size to max, and there is some point in the sequencing process where the heads start to get larger and larger after the body stops.

I had 2 babies from my yeti, and one baby from a velociraptor thing who were all purportedly 12m tall, but who's mothers were only 3m tall, and the body is not 3x bigger but the head sure is.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

blarzgh posted:

but there is some weirdness going on with creature heads, as I've hatched several biologicals so far after sequencing their size to max, and there is some point in the sequencing process where the heads start to get larger and larger after the body stops.

I had 2 babies from my yeti, and one baby from a velociraptor thing who were all purportedly 12m tall, but who's mothers were only 3m tall, and the body is not 3x bigger but the head sure is.

Ah, that explains a lot about what I've been seeing when trying to increase the size of some of my critters. I keep getting offspring with gigantic heads and not much growth, so I'm probably effectively size-capped unless Big Head Mode is what I'm looking for.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
BTW for anyone on XBox:

You can go to Network > Go Offline, then restart your box.

Fire up NMS, then open XBOX settings, and just change the time and date to fast-forward through egg times and insta-hatch/lay, etc. This works for Void Eggs, and resource respawn as well. You can still save the game while offline.

When you're done, you can just go back to Network > Go Online

I assume there is a similar mechanic on PS and I'm sure the computer nerds have a workaround as well.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

It's a bit awkward to ride

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

blarzgh posted:

BTW for anyone on XBox:

You can go to Network > Go Offline, then restart your box.

Fire up NMS, then open XBOX settings, and just change the time and date to fast-forward through egg times and insta-hatch/lay, etc. This works for Void Eggs, and resource respawn as well. You can still save the game while offline.

When you're done, you can just go back to Network > Go Online

I assume there is a similar mechanic on PS and I'm sure the computer nerds have a workaround as well.

On PC, you can just change the system clock, yeah. I did it to run through the living ship quest in an afternoon.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
It's...beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuaajeKRnqk

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

question about multiplayer:

i have a base on a planet that is the "capital" of the galactic hub project. in xbox on creative mode. my base is on a hill overlooking a portal, and i have several neighbors that i can see from my windows. there are also a ton of other bases all over that planet as well as a few on some of the others in the system.

at least, sometimes. but sometimes some or all of the other players' bases are missing. if i go to the anomaly i'll see other players there so the multiplayer is still working in that sense, but for some reason no bases are loading in the actual system

anyone know whats up with that?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

dummy thicc

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

It looks like its going to speak to a manager.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Earwicker posted:

question about multiplayer:

i have a base on a planet that is the "capital" of the galactic hub project. in xbox on creative mode. my base is on a hill overlooking a portal, and i have several neighbors that i can see from my windows. there are also a ton of other bases all over that planet as well as a few on some of the others in the system.

at least, sometimes. but sometimes some or all of the other players' bases are missing. if i go to the anomaly i'll see other players there so the multiplayer is still working in that sense, but for some reason no bases are loading in the actual system

anyone know whats up with that?

Xbox has trouble loading in all the information, thats all.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
To be honest huge bases on densely populated planets have trouble loading in properly on PC too sometimes. I jumped to one of the "featured" bases from the anomaly, and it just wasn't there. I teleported to empty ground. After a minute of being confused a few parts of it started loading in, but it seemed very disjointed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dwesa posted:

In theory you could use it to completely buy out a carrier's slots in one day. Completely upgrading ship slots isn't as expensive but it's still drat expensive. Cash also converts to nanites via scrapping, and converts very very quickly if you're willing to lose tons of it because you have a mine that makes it faster than you can spend.

You build a reasonable activated indium mine in a couple of hours because you want to eliminate credits as a limiting factor forever. You build a wealth-generating nightmare because it's fun to build.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I wish it was possible to feed and tame flying creatures because my god. Look how cute this loving thing is! I want it!

coolusername fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Feb 24, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I didn't get around to taming anything

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

For gameplay and actually feeling like you're doing something instead of just getting a ton of money all at once, I like the crafting of fusion ignitors. Building the biomes, going to the manufacturing places and getting the blueprints is actually engaging and gives you something to do. Then the growing is all passive.

In my first run, I found an activated indium farm and then got 600 million credits, which then was boring because I could buy anything I wanted. Base planning, building, and setting up the gas farming made things interesting.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm really enjoying just stumbling on weirdo planets. The exploration in this game is fun even if it lacks the ever-building tension subnautica had.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

For gameplay and actually feeling like you're doing something instead of just getting a ton of money all at once, I like the crafting of fusion ignitors.

This was considerably less fun and interesting to build than the post-nerf money machine.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Has anyone found a pet that's actually useful as a mount or is the "ride pet" function just there for photos?

Also, is there an auto pet summon function somewhere?

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 24, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's just useful for photos or goofing around, mounts move much slower than players on foot and can't do anything unique

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea its unfortunate that creatures are so much slower when you are riding them, the first one i tamed was fast as hell and i only caught him because he got trapped against a cliff and i was able to run up underneath, but riding him just makes him way way slower for some reason

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My height boosted diplo hatched!

Quite a difference between parent and child. I mutated his height to the max, appearance genes slightly, and kept the colour the same.

Shame he lost his parents head beak thing. Might hatch another egg without changing appearance. That’s me at the bottom of the second pic.

Visiting a trading outpost.

And going for a swim.

Says he’s 12m but seems way taller than that.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

haveblue posted:

It's just useful for photos or goofing around, mounts move much slower than players on foot and can't do anything unique

You can make the mount run by clicking in the right stick, but I'm not sure it's faster than running normally and almost certainly slower than melee jetpacking.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I made all of my hard-earned wealth the old-fashioned way: by stealing a bunch of ancient artifacts, bones, and technology of immense cultural and historic value and selling them to the highest bidder until I had enough money to purchase a fleet of frigates, then extracting the surplus value of my unpaid crews' labour and keeping it all for myself.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I made most of my early game money the lazy way, just installing three S-class scanner upgrades into the multitool and then scanning critters for like 300k a pop.

Then I built a couple of activated indium farms and that was pretty much it on the credits side forever.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

My height boosted diplo hatched!

Quite a difference between parent and child. I mutated his height to the max, appearance genes slightly, and kept the colour the same.

Shame he lost his parents head beak thing. Might hatch another egg without changing appearance. That’s me at the bottom of the second pic.

Visiting a trading outpost.

And going for a swim.

Says he’s 12m but seems way taller than that.

Hot drat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StarkRavingMad posted:

You can make the mount run by clicking in the right stick, but I'm not sure it's faster than running normally and almost certainly slower than melee jetpacking.

Huh, the normal sprint button didn't work when I tried it with a Move in VR so I gave up. I guess that would make them a little better

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Mailer posted:

This was considerably less fun and interesting to build than the post-nerf money machine.

... How many ignitors does that make? Jesus, I have like 5 biomes on my base and a few other bases for gas harvesting.

Somewhat related, but does anyone name their bases? My main base on my second save is "Unbent but Broken" base since the original name was Ubent Base.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I named my first planet base (1st base), first "real" base on a fire world (HECK BASE ALPHA), and the place i found my noodle monster (Noodleholm). After that it's just names based on what the base is for (Indium Depot, Metal Base, etc)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I name them after whatever resource is there, except for my main base. It’s my underground monstrosity with ~70 biodomes, all my processors, storage units, etc.

I named it Tourian :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, what's up with refiners having local limits now? When I played on PS4 I'm sure I could place a ton of large refiners in one spot, but now on PC I can only put down 2 before having to move far away to place more.