Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm kind of down on non-Nintendo AAA games but I did actually quite enjoy TLOU2. That being said I put like 60 hours into AC Odyssey lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

Unfortunately that's not going to happen. Silicon and semiconductor shortages are so incredibly bad that it would be insane to release a new console right now, and Nintendo is so gun-shy they wouldn't be willing to make that risk.

*runs into room out of breath* BUH ACCORDING TO SOME RELIABLE SOURCES NINTENDO WILL ANNOUNCE THE SWITCH PRO IN JUNE AND

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Suddenly, nintendo announces the Switch Pro, available in three months!! You are so surprised and excited by this news that your jittery hands immediately drop your switch--right into the toilet you were sitting on while playing.

With a broken heart you flush the switch (there was no saving it, also you take giant shits and have the plumbing to handle it).

You have three months before Switch Pro is released. Welcome to hell!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've always felt like a consistent art style and tone will carry a game a lot further than any amount of cinematography. I've got like 45 hours in Valheim already and that game is basically PS2-era with modern rendering.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Everyone keeps talking about valheim but yeah it looks really dull in the graphics department. Must have something good going on under the hood, I've been meaning to check out some videos.

What specifically is the draw? Is it just another competent survival game or does it do something a little different?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

PantsBandit posted:

Sometimes yes sometimes no. Last of Us 2 has really excellent gameplay imo and manages to have "cinematic" animations while still feeling responsive in the right places.

tlou 2 and red dead 2 made me really hate those kind of cinematic AAA games but i realize that's probably not going to be a widely held view. when a game tries to be a movie the end result is a bad movie that is way too loving long. imo.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

KingSlime posted:

Everyone keeps talking about valheim but yeah it looks really dull in the graphics department. Must have something good going on under the hood, I've been meaning to check out some videos.

What specifically is the draw? Is it just another competent survival game or does it do something a little different?

Yeah, I was skeptical of an early access survival game, but I ended up hooked. It looks really good in motion. It's mostly just a competent survival game with a kind of odd aesthetic, but it really hits in how things feel really satisfying to do. The building is pretty involved with some good options for an early access game and the sailing is pretty chill. Combat's a little eh, but it's got parrying the like making combat a bit more dynamic. I've been playing with two friends and we're just going out logging, mining, hunting, fighting giant bullshit bosses, that sort of thing.

Anyway, an on-topic complaint: Still mad about the Zelda Joycons. I do not feel like paying 100% markup on some controllers. If I was going to do that, I'd just get a set of matte gold ones from Colorware.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1364636213911683072

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

:siren: MULTIPLAYER :siren:

Will this include bots?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:woop::worship:

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Foul Fowl posted:

tlou 2 and red dead 2 made me really hate those kind of cinematic AAA games but i realize that's probably not going to be a widely held view. when a game tries to be a movie the end result is a bad movie that is way too loving long. imo.

Yeah I feel like if a game wants to be cinematic it should be paced like a movie. Instead they’re usually a chopped up movie where you go play a game for awhile between scenes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

Red Dead 2 just looks really annoying to play. I feel like "being cinematic" and "being too long" are separate issues that both happen to plague RDR2 from the criticisms I've seen. You could definitely do a cinematic experience that's a little more reasonable in length.

Foul Fowl posted:

if a game is cinematic it's usually not a very good game
I think they can be good once in awhile, or at least, I'm generally a "gameplay first" kind of person and I really enjoyed GOW18. The very cinematic nature was a bit of a change of pace from what I regularly played.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Social Animal posted:

I contacted support and they shipped me replacement pads but it took like three months to arrive from China. In the meantime yeah I used a SNES membrane I bought somewhere but keep in mind it's not an exact fit still. Most likely you'll need to cut a bit of the rubber off to get a fit. Also you should buy a pro controller anyways, it's way better IMO.

I thought i'd be clever and just install the membrane upside down so it would be one of the slightly less used buttons. But it's shaped just slightly different that you cant put the controller back together without slightly cutting it and I didn't have the time so I just put it back together.

It's no longer sticking now but it definitely feels a bit off. Kinda tempted to take apart one of my never used snes classic pads to see if its similar.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

I said come in! posted:

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

:siren: MULTIPLAYER :siren:

Will this include bots?

Nope. We have no code for that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hopefully the next GoW goes back to it's roots based off the success of Hades and how beating the gently caress out of things like crazy is way more fun.

Anyways this is the Switch thread.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Can't decide if I want to play persona 5 strikers on console or on switch. Performance is obviously much better on console, but will I miss the portability once I get into the grindier/more repetitive parts of the game and the initial novelty has worn off?

What a dilemma. Kind of excited about the idea of a proper sequel to persona 5 though

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Wait, what the hell? The bot code was lost to time?! Out of curiosity, what kind of dev manpower would it take to build new ones?

And if you can speak to it at all, any chance of 3 or Rage Wars coming? I'll take all the Turok you can give!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Kirios posted:

Wait, what the hell? The bot code was lost to time?! Out of curiosity, what kind of dev manpower would it take to build new ones?

Turok2 never had bot code. You might be thinking of Golden Eye?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Rocket Pan posted:

I think Perfect Dark was the one with bots. Maybe the only N64 game with multiplayer bots?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Nah I was thinking Rage Wars but I thought it started with 2.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I never took a good look at mythra before now, and I'm weirded out by her eyes being so drat huge, especially in comparison to pyra, who looks normal. she looks like one of those kigurumi masks, it's weird

it's especially jarring when you consider they're supposed to have the same face, so there was no need to make it look noticeably different

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ghosts and Goblins looks rad but gently caress $30. I’ll pick it up on sale and beat the original and Super in the meantime.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

KingSlime posted:

on console or on switch

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Breath of the Wild with Valheim mechanics would own. I wanted to build my own horse farm, gdi, such a shame that buying a house is only so you can store more gear

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It took me ages to realize that Gears of War's "have your character walk slowly as he talks in his earpiece" was just a way to mask loading.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rocket Pan posted:

Bummer, but that is okay! Apparently cross platform play is available? So hopefully it will be easy to find matches.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I got my hands on a leaked vid of this, he spends about three hours recapping the plot to xenosaga and twelve minutes showing gameplay

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Narcissus1916 posted:

It took me ages to realize that Gears of War's "have your character walk slowly as he talks in his earpiece" was just a way to mask loading.

See also: having to crawl under something or squeeze through a crevice

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Grapplejack posted:

I got my hands on a leaked vid of this, he spends about three hours recapping the plot to xenosaga and twelve minutes showing gameplay

Ah so he's speedrunning the recap, bold.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sakurai gives a whole presentation about how xenogears was given a raw deal and then right at the end remembers to mention that the DLC is out tonight.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This last level in world Flower in 3D World is straight loving impossible, there's literally no way to beat six goddamn bosses in that time limit, I'm already under 100 seconds by the time I get to the last one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The bottleneck is definitely the snakes. You can hit them both at the same time (bounce off of one onto the other) which should theoretically halve the time of that fight.

It's still pretty tight though, but it's basically the penultimate level so it makes sense that it's difficult.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Twelve by Pies posted:

This last level in world Flower in 3D World is straight loving impossible, there's literally no way to beat six goddamn bosses in that time limit, I'm already under 100 seconds by the time I get to the last one.

Yeah that's a real pain in the rear end. There's a final funhouse stage too that's just a merciless gauntlet. And then champions road.

Be willing to walk away when you need to.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yep, abuse killing both snakes on time or you're hosed. The other hurdle is the wall that falls down - if you miss just 1 you most likely won't finish it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

The bottleneck is definitely the snakes. You can hit them both at the same time (bounce off of one onto the other) which should theoretically halve the time of that fight.

It's still pretty tight though, but it's basically the penultimate level so it makes sense that it's difficult.

About the only things I cheated and looked up for 3d World was one particularly lovely stamp (and when I saw the answer I realized I would've never gotten it on my own) and that gauntlet. There's a way to bounce off the snakes that drastically saves time.

I played Champion's Road for like an hour and said to hell with that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

square guy: just stand in front of him at the start and hit him when he comes down, then back up to the middle square and do it again, then back up on more time and do it again
boom boom and pom pom: just hit them as soon as they pop out lol
fire boulder dude: jump on two of the little guys, throw one at him then pick up the other and run around with it until he stop spinning and throw that rock at him. do the last hit normally
snakes: jump between their heads to hit both of them in one cycle
bubble marx: just hit him :shrug:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Definitely do the snake fight first, and restart if it takes you much more than 100 seconds. Rosalina can get up onto their heads the fastest because her spin attack is effectively a double jump.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Twelve by Pies posted:

I just completed this like an hour ago. You can hit the oversized koopa guy when he's standing, no need to wait until he collapses. Also you can hit both the sand worm bosses in one go.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Release Turok Rage Wars you cowards, it was great multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

The switch is a portable