Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

The Iron Rose posted:

God I wish I could work remotely for US companies and still live in Canada.

We have more than a handful of remote Canadian employees in my NYC-based company, so they're definetly out there. No clue if we're super rare in that regard, though, this is the first place I've been with a bunch of remotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Iron Rose posted:

Being charming and exaggerating as much as possible helps, but the market you’re in has constraints. Even senior SREs in Toronto only make like $170k CAD.

God I wish I could work remotely for US companies and still live in Canada.

Move to Michigan, we have Tim Horton's

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I was on the "doubling salary every 2-3 years" train for a while, but I developed a very bad anxiety and drinking problem due to it so I took a slight pay reduction for another job with better work/life balance and benefits. Best decision I've ever made.

Also, don't work in Automotive if you care at all for your sanity and mental health.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

*Results may vary based on race and gender identity

Yea absolutely. My first real job is a testament to that.

Staffing agency calls me and asks if I can pass a drug test first, then interview. Seems their candidate they wanted failed his. Oops. Lucky break #1. Also lol that this was working for the county sheriff's office. Being a nervous wreck the night before I mistakenly took a sleep aid (Diphenhydramine aka Benadryl) and proceeded to pop hot on meth and pcp. Being an early 20s white boy dressed appropriately for what I thought was a job interview I am proceeded to be given the benefit of the doubt and they clear my results. Lucky break #2.

Once I start at help desk I am quickly tapped to move downtown to support the medical department's EMR rollout and be the jr system admin\help desk for the doctors and nurses. Lucky break #3. Actual server administration experience early in my career all because someone failed a drug test and I'm white.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bob Morales posted:

Move to Michigan, we have Tim Horton's

I don’t drink coffee but I do love me my timbits

Don’t think I’ve had any since the pandemic started though. I should get my partner to pick up some though. Poor girl is in vet tech and has to commute 4hrs on public transit every day to go to her labs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If US people havent already you should sign up for ssa.gov account. Not only will this prevent people from making an account in your name to commit tax fraud, but it also shows you what you made in years past and gives you an idea of what you can get at retirement age assuming its still around.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I don’t drink coffee but I do love me my timbits

Don’t think I’ve had any since the pandemic started though. I should get my partner to pick up some though. Poor girl is in vet tech and has to commute 4hrs on public transit every day to go to her labs.

drat, that's a long commute! I guess at least it's on public transportation and hopefully she gets to read / watch stuff? Still, I don't think I could do it.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If US people havent already you should sign up for ssa.gov account. Not only will this prevent people from making an account in your name to commit tax fraud, but it also shows you what you made in years past and gives you an idea of what you can get at retirement age assuming its still around.

This is good advice, thank you! I hadn't even heard of that before.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

drat, that's a long commute! I guess at least it's on public transportation and hopefully she gets to read / watch stuff? Still, I don't think I could do it.

the public transit is the problem. jam packed, there's always someone not wearing a mask. She travels in scrubs, with a face shield and double masks (and is commonly mistaken for a nurse!), and the last time she politely asked someone in the cramped subway car/bus to put their mask on they screamed in her face and called her a oval office.

We're city gays. We don't drive. But public transit during covid is uh not great lmao

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My commute pre-covid was a 2 trains for an hour then a 15 min bus ride. The train was so relaxing, I miss it. I would read, listen to music, and people watch. I will gladly take my commute back once this is over, however we're going to be a "hybrid" working model it looks like.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I miss the office, onboarding 100% remotely has been so lonely

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

George H.W. oval office posted:

My keys to success

1) Be charming
2) Lie on your resume and interviews but not too much. It’s a numbers game to see who bites.
3) Only accept 50%+ increase in dosh

My trajectory has been 52, 80, 140.

The system works people!

I always say if the first few bullet points on the job ad seem familiar and you believe you are capable of doing more than half of the work without additional help then you should apply! :haw:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't miss going into an office every day and commuting, but I do miss the once a quarter trips to corporate.

One point I would like to make is COVID hit people who already did WFH for various reasons. Some could be a spouse that's now vying for room. It could be kids that are home from school. It's also as simple as removing the other social support structures.

I shifted to work from home the summer of 2019 because they closed most regional offices for cost savings. I really started WFH part time in May-July of 2019 with full transition after July and complete office closure in September. But I established my routine. I saw friends. Found ways to be social. I was getting into a groove and then the loving pandemic hit and all that establishing work went out the window and every day turned into a gray monotonous expenditure of time.

That's one thing that people have to realize that WFH during pandemic != WFH in normal times. There are some distinct differences and it's also brutal on people who were already WFH.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

CLAM DOWN posted:

My commute pre-covid was a 2 trains for an hour then a 15 min bus ride. The train was so relaxing, I miss it. I would read, listen to music, and people watch. I will gladly take my commute back once this is over, however we're going to be a "hybrid" working model it looks like.

I’m sure that those who want to can still go to the office on a daily basis.

From what I see the world is split fairly even in groups that want to WFH entirely, those that want to work at the office full time and those who like a mix of the 2.

I hope the choice will be more or less free, so nobody gets forced (back) into a way of working that will be a burden on them.

Personally I love 100% remote as it goves me so much more freedom to work when I want to and spend more time woth the family but given the choice I’d probably go to the office for 1-2 (partial) days.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
jaegerx I took your advice to just give up and moved my RDP ports to 3390 and my SSH ports to 24. It's uncreative, but my logging volume has dropped by several orders of magnitude in exchange for the obnoxiousness of having to reconfigure everything that accesses it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Lots of industries are gonna say forget owning office space moving forward. I went from a forced WFH situation due to COVID to choosing to be WFH, just weird not seeing literally anyone in person.

Eventually I’ll have to travel every month which I’m really looking forward to whenever that’s possible

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Biowarfare posted:

jaegerx I took your advice to just give up and moved my RDP ports to 3390 and my SSH ports to 24. It's uncreative, but my logging volume has dropped by several orders of magnitude in exchange for the obnoxiousness of having to reconfigure everything that accesses it

Wait what you had RDP exposed? Put that poo poo behind a gateway.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Wait what you had RDP exposed? Put that poo poo behind a gateway.

wild personal use question: I have several dozen Windows servers that are not centrally managed. They are on the public internet, this is not for work, and they are not on the same LAN nor is there any private network access. There is no consistency, they are at random providers, not aws/azure/etc.

How would you secure RDP for this case? Have everything run through a central IP and then acl 3389 to only respond to that IP?

edit: yeah these are random colos, VMs, etc - RDP is effectively my only point of access in most of them, and they're all on diverse networks scattered around. I do stuff like network monitoring/uptime checking, run some random ASP.NET apps, etc., all fuckaround/dev things

Impotence fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 25, 2021

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Front it with an RDP gateway in windows or use Guacamole instead of directly exposing RDP on a port

Edit: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-plan-access-from-anywhere

https://guacamole.apache.org/

Edit 2: actually based on what you’re saying I might have no fuckin idea lol maybe Boundary? https://www.boundaryproject.io/

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 25, 2021

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

12 rats tied together posted:

re: salary chat, once you start pushing 160 total comp you either really want to get married and start filing jointly, or you're now in the zone where the best way to increase your take-home is to take a remote position and move to a low cost of living area. I did this and cut my rent by 1300/mo which ended up being a 21k raise for that tax year.

I got married and now I'm broke all the time. I even tried having a kid to get that write off and now I'm EVEN MORE broke.
Can confirm this is not good advice.

i am a moron posted:

I miss the office, onboarding 100% remotely has been so lonely
Once we go back to working in the office, if I ever have to see anyone again as a part of the onboarding process I think I'm just going to quit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Biowarfare posted:

wild personal use question: I have several dozen Windows servers that are not centrally managed. They are on the public internet, this is not for work, and they are not on the same LAN nor is there any private network access. There is no consistency, they are at random providers, not aws/azure/etc.

How would you secure RDP for this case? Have everything run through a central IP and then acl 3389 to only respond to that IP?

It seems bizarre to me to create this much infrastructure but not understand some security basics. But the internet has proved this happens all the time and yet I still am somewhat surprised when it happens.

You want those servers in question to only response to RDP sessions (an basically anything really) coming from locations and resources you would use to connect to them through. If these are cloud servers this can be done a number of different, trivial ways. On prem a little less trivial, but still very doable.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

jaegerx posted:

On a side note. Starlink says I can order it now so I did. I have to know if it’s actually viable

Everything I've been seeing about it seems good.

Most speed tests seem to be around 100-150Mbps. Latency is low too. I have seen some lower tests, but from the videos I've seen it appears to be dependent on signal strength and/or how many constellation members your dish can see.

I'd imagine it will only get more consistent and better as the constellation gets bigger.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

It seems bizarre to me to create this much infrastructure but not understand some security basics. But the internet has proved this happens all the time and yet I still am somewhat surprised when it happens.

The ones that I can do are already accessible only via some form of SDN VPN and don't listen publicly (I use zerotier/wireguard for this).

A handful of them are on very weird or rare networks (think a VM Kazakhstan, being SSL MITMed by law, and used for checking which sites are censored there as a side project), some that drop all UDP traffic so I can't establish a ZeroTier or Wireguard link, some in China (hosting guacamole as a webserver there is illegal with extreme penalties, the provider port scans automatically looking for HTTP responses without an appropriate government licence, also used for censorship-checking side project + multi path latency/route monitoring), etc. There is no console, if I turn on the firewall before enabling the port it just drops offline for a month+ until someone cares enough to drive to whatever basement is hosting it.

None of them support any form of "security groups" or "VPCs" or the like. Most of them don't have the ability to console in, even the VMs. At this point I just kind of keep them up to date on windows update, change the port, and hope they don't get popped. I'm sure this is an absurd edge case in the world of hosting, but I'm curious if there is a "better way"

Impotence fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 25, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

i am a moron posted:

Lots of industries are gonna say forget owning office space moving forward.

WeWork will finally make money :lol:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Biowarfare posted:

The ones that I can do are already accessible only via some form of SDN VPN and don't listen publicly (I use zerotier/wireguard for this).

A handful of them are on very weird or rare networks (think a VM Kazakhstan, being SSL MITMed by law, and used for checking which sites are censored there as a side project), some that drop all UDP traffic so I can't establish a ZeroTier or Wireguard link, some in China (hosting guacamole as a webserver there is illegal with extreme penalties, the provider port scans automatically looking for HTTP responses without an appropriate government licence, also used for censorship-checking side project + multi path latency/route monitoring), etc. There is no console, if I turn on the firewall before enabling the port it just drops offline for a month+ until someone cares enough to drive to whatever basement is hosting it.

None of them support any form of "security groups" or "VPCs" or the like. Most of them don't have the ability to console in, even the VMs. At this point I just kind of keep them up to date on windows update, change the port, and hope they don't get popped. I'm sure this is an absurd edge case in the world of hosting, but I'm curious if there is a "better way"

Not sure if Duo is an option (or some other MFA provider); Duo you install their application proxy on the server, enter some info from the Duo account and it now protects RDP/Console access with MFA. Not sure if other folks are logging into those servers or not so this might cause issues there.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe not the right thread for this, but are there any benchmarking sites for on-call pay / benefits? We're still getting the same paltry amount as we did in 2010 and while talking to your peers about how much they get paid for being on-call, the organizations aren't really that comparable and I'd rather have solid ammunition to propose improvements (like saying "hey, we're x% below market rate").

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jeoh posted:

Maybe not the right thread for this, but are there any benchmarking sites for on-call pay / benefits? We're still getting the same paltry amount as we did in 2010 and while talking to your peers about how much they get paid for being on-call, the organizations aren't really that comparable and I'd rather have solid ammunition to propose improvements (like saying "hey, we're x% below market rate").

In SF/SV I haven't heard of any incentives or benefits for being on-call. In the EU IIRC you have to pay people extra to be available after hours, and then pay them for hours worked on incidents. When I was on-call in Sweden it was great, you got extra cash for being on-call and any incident was at least "a pizza and a six-pack" worth of pay (each started 30 min period paid you your hourly rate times a multiplier for weekend/holidays).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I know a lot of people have issues with Krebs for things, not undeservedly, but he has a really good article here on "Planting your flag" that I've shared with a lot of friends and family. Well worth a read for anyone in the US.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/08/why-where-you-should-you-plant-your-flag/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm just starting to dive into File Server Resource Manager and I wish I had known about this a year ago when I was trying to untangle our file server. Good lord. Lol and its been in Windows since 2008

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Jeoh posted:

I'm not aware of any standard or benchmark out there. I can share my prior experience as a Windows Admin for large enterprises.

2006 to 2011 I was one of the IT people for our call center operations. 24/7/365 support. We never ever closed. I was paid 300 dollars net (grossed up to 360ish to cover taxes) extra for the week I was on call at the time. It was unwritten if oncall was super heavy, or had a major outage that you could come in after lunch, or leave early, something like that. The rough part was a 15 minute response time. Had to take my laptop everywhere I went. 15 minutes to respond, 30 minutes to start working on it, and couldn't be physically more than an hour away from the local office. At the time I was making like 42-45K a year though, so the extra 3600-4500 bucks from being on call was welcome cash.

2011 I moved out of call center ops and went to corporate. I was never really on call for that, but if something serious broke you might get called. We we're global though, so I had co-workers in India, the UK, and West Coast US that could handle things, so after hours work was really really rare. I was never restricted or had any sort of response time requirement. I was not compensated for being on call at this point. Comp time was unofficial for major issues after hours. The usual come in late the next day, leave early friday type stuff.

My new job has an oncall rotation. We only get called for production issues, and that's after they've been through frontline, and second line support. We get an extra 30 dollars a day while on call. After hours calls are rare, but do happen. After not having to deal with being on call for 10 years I was hesitant to take the job and go back to an on call rotation again, but the environment is not as demanding, and the new job was a huge pay bump.

There's multiple opinions about this. I've had bosses in the past say being on-call is just part of being an IT employee and part of the salary. I personally feel any time my ability to do something is restricted due to being on call, compensation is warranted. I couldn't see a movie, go to the beach, or really do much of anything the week I was on call working for the call center.

So I think it depends on a bunch of factors really. Hope that helps.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Biowarfare posted:

What kind of shady poo poo are you doing?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

My first thought as well. I can’t think why someone would go through those kinds of lengths to host a loving server and it gives me illegal vibes.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

Censorship monitoring from several countries as a side project SaaS of sorts, and routing monitoring. Like "is my site blocked in beijing"-type of API. You also get different filtering based on whether you're in a real datacentre or not, or even what city your server is in. More well known/major cities might be more relaxed on which sites are blocked, and rural areas might be heavily filtered to prevent them from 'getting ideas'

In general many of these places do not have the kind of formal hosting you're "used to" and this is the norm. FWIW, I used to have colos in every southeast asian country for a 10m pv/day+ esports analytics fansite that used reverse engineered game clients to scrape match details. In Taiwan almost every small hosting provider used business class FTTH lines to a home/office/basement - not an actual DC, this is standard practice and some premium providers would explicitly advertise "we're not on ADSL/VDSL!!"

The cost difference between "an actual DC" and "an office closet" was 100x-500x+, or straight up impossible as nobody would serve private customers or foreign customers.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 26, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

It’s shoe bots isn’t it. Don’t lie to me. You’re just trying to cop the new yeezys.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

It’s shoe bots isn’t it. Don’t lie to me. You’re just trying to cop the new yeezys.

I wear crocs

Also setting up duo for login because why not

I don't have space for a homelab in my micro-studio, so it kind of evolved into this

Impotence fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 26, 2021

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

You seem sus

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Love 2 finish half my work for the week in 45 minutes at midnight after thoroughly pissing away the day with things like "meetings" or "incident response" or "therapy for my recent brush with death"

Something about not having to pay attention to slack just does it for me.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Biowarfare posted:

Censorship monitoring from several countries as a side project SaaS of sorts, and routing monitoring. Like "is my site blocked in beijing"-type of API. You also get different filtering based on whether you're in a real datacentre or not, or even what city your server is in. More well known/major cities might be more relaxed on which sites are blocked, and rural areas might be heavily filtered to prevent them from 'getting ideas'

This is actually pretty fascinating stuff! I'd like to know more.
Is there actually a market for this kind of poo poo?

I'm not in that field, but I read an interesting nerd tourist's account of trying to email home while in china, and thus wrestling with vps and the great firewall. you might find it interesting too.
http://blog.zorinaq.com/my-experience-with-the-great-firewall-of-china/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm getting so tired of Microsofts infatuation with UTF-16LE+BOM. gently caress you MS and your BOMs.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

i am an IT manager for a medical school & today i have a job interview for a position with a capital firm that would may me ~60-100% more depending on range and bonus.

but im not sure i want it... i have it so cushy now, i work more or less 9-5, i get holidays, almost no after hours support.

ugh i cant tell if im just being a wussy baby who has been coddled for 10+ years and doesnt want to work anymore or what, years ago i'd have jumped at "hard work for lots of pay" like its life changing, I dont make a lot of money now (trade for the schedule/benefits).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

bus hustler posted:

i am an IT manager for a medical school & today i have a job interview for a position with a capital firm that would may me ~60-100% more depending on range and bonus.

but im not sure i want it... i have it so cushy now, i work more or less 9-5, i get holidays, almost no after hours support.

ugh i cant tell if im just being a wussy baby who has been coddled for 10+ years and doesnt want to work anymore or what, years ago i'd have jumped at "hard work for lots of pay" like its life changing, I dont make a lot of money now (trade for the schedule/benefits).

Do it, bank your money for 10 years, then get a cushy senior level job and relax.