Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This one might be tough because it might be lost forever. It was a macromedia shockwave game on a coolmath4kids type website where you played a fat ugly guy named Skunk or something when robots invade, and you could hack the robots to control them to accomplish stuff since if they saw you they'd kill you. The robots were represented with white circles with a different color border telling you what type of robot it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I remember playing an old shareware/freeware game, probably from one of those old 200-game CDs they'd sell at Staples or wherever, in which you were some kind of space knight venturing to "the red planet" for some reason. I vaguely remember it being an RPG with a turn based battle system, and I think it was a sequel. I think you fought with some kind of blaster. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this game and I haven't been able to find anything resembling it on any lists of old shareware games from the late 90s/early 00s.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

That Ultima that takes place on Mars?

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Nope, those graphics are more detailed than what I can recall. Also I remember the color scheme being more green/white.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing
Ultima II perhaps?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Why does the ending screen hype up Ultima 3-D and 4 [sic] -P?

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

Why does the ending screen hype up Ultima 3-D and 4 [sic] -P?

Garriott was hoping that technology will have moved beyond mere dimensions at that point.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I remember playing an old shareware/freeware game, probably from one of those old 200-game CDs they'd sell at Staples or wherever, in which you were some kind of space knight venturing to "the red planet" for some reason. I vaguely remember it being an RPG with a turn based battle system, and I think it was a sequel. I think you fought with some kind of blaster. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this game and I haven't been able to find anything resembling it on any lists of old shareware games from the late 90s/early 00s.

Not sure about the knight, but Space 1889 maybe?

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Last Visible Dog posted:

Alright, this one might be a little vague?

It's some sort of educational software, most likely Windows, from around 2000/2001, and it was either about, or included a section about, electronic circuit design. I never played it myself, but I was in a school computer room where it got played a whole bunch.
All the different circuit components would have different personalities and would introduce themselves to the player. The transistors were some sort of cheerleaders whose chant is now burned into my brain:

"I'm a transistor sister!
I get an electric charge!
Then I open up a valve
To make the current very large!"

Holy crap I think I remember this. I had some kind of electronics...learning...toy thing, and that software went with it. It was like a cardboard box with springs poked through, and you’d connect wires to springs to make circuits using the resistors, caps, piezo speaker, etc.

No idea what it was called. Definitely awesome though.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I remember my dad had a game for the super nintendo that I always thought was extremely cool but I wasn't old enough to play yet. All I really remember is that you controlled a spaceship and could choose from multiple different planets to land on, you could even choose the sun but everytime I tried to go there it said I couldn't land. Not really a lot to go on but it's been bugging me for years what this game was.

Jello Robot
Feb 17, 2011
Big Sky Trooper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf-XjLPHo4w

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
No I definitely remember it being more serious in tone and appearance. Like, a serious sci-fi game.

Edit:The plot may or may not have something to do with crystalline alien life forms. I'm really not sure. That idea seems to stick out to me for some reason.

unknown butthole fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 27, 2020

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

unknown butthole posted:

I remember my dad had a game for the super nintendo that I always thought was extremely cool but I wasn't old enough to play yet. All I really remember is that you controlled a spaceship and could choose from multiple different planets to land on, you could even choose the sun but everytime I tried to go there it said I couldn't land. Not really a lot to go on but it's been bugging me for years what this game was.

Could it have been the Star Trek: TNG game?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Could you be thinking of Starflight for Genesis/Mega Drive? The plot has you trying to destroy the Crystal Planet.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain

Action Jacktion posted:

Could you be thinking of Starflight for Genesis/Mega Drive? The plot has you trying to destroy the Crystal Planet.
This definitely seems like it could be, and we did own a sega genesis, but it doesn't feel entirely correct to me. I specifically remember there being like, one solar system worth of planets you could select from and if you tried to land on the sun it would go to a screen of your ship with the background as the sun and text saying your ship can't handle it or something. I remember as a kid I definitely felt like it was alluding to needing some sort of upgrade to be able to go there. I also remember a text box describing the crystalline aliens, it said that it was only recently discovered they were actually a form of life, as their metabolism was so slow that they lived for ages and ages.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

unknown butthole posted:

I also remember a text box describing the crystalline aliens, it said that it was only recently discovered they were actually a form of life, as their metabolism was so slow that they lived for ages and ages.

That sounds like the Horta from Star Trek.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
There was also a Sega version of Star Control. But Starflight did have a special message if you tried to land on a star:

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain

Action Jacktion posted:

There was also a Sega version of Star Control. But Starflight did have a special message if you tried to land on a star:

Honestly, this was probably it and I'm just getting memories muddled up because it was so long ago.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

i think i tried this one before with no real luck: it was a dos action platform game that i had on a shareware cd, main character was a punk looking guy with rockets for legs, he had a strange walk animation and the controls were really slippery, you could propel yourself upward using his rocket legs, the game's most notable thing were the graphics, there was a lot of parallax scrolling and every platform was 3d or pseudo-3d although the game itself was just a normal 2d type of game

Was this Rodge Rock in Retroactive?

For my own thing - back when I was a kid I used to play this weird edutainment game on the school Apple IIe computers where you would choose an animal and go through a series of minigames with it. I remember a particular nonsense section where after choosing the Giraffe, you'd go down a straight hallway with a single block sticking down from the top of it which would make the giraffe scatter into a sliding block puzzle where you needed to reassemble it agian.

I think there were other modes for the same game including a game where you needed to select a certain object ("green table", etc) which was naturally impossible to play on the monochrome output IIe screens that we had.

Spades fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 12, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Spades posted:

Was this Rodge Rock in Retroactive?

whoah, yeah thats it, finally, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p64h3e8B1nA this looks and sounds DOS as gently caress, the game looks exactly like how i remembered

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

God, now I'm trying to remember the one Mac 4X game I had where the different species/empires terraformed the hex-map planets when they invaded or colonized, and each species had a different idea of a good planet.

It was a color game, and garish neon colors too. Short clip of electronic music on the main screen.

Sorry that I can't add more detail, it's been years.

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
This wasn't Spaceward Ho! was it? I don't think that had hexmaps, though.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This is probably a long shot: when I was little, my cousins had a handheld game that I used to play. I don't think it was one of the Tiger ones. It was in a rectangular case that may have been a deep orange (?). I distinctly remember that the 'overworld' music was Fur Elise.

I estimate that I was playing this game when I was about 7, 1991 or so.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 6, 2021

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is probably a long shot: when I was little, my cousins had a handheld game that I used to play. I don't think it was one of the Tiger ones. It was in a rectangular case that may have been a deep orange (?). I distinctly remember that the 'overworld' music was Fur Elise.

I estimate that I was playing this game when I was about 7, 1991 or so.

Any chance it was Ghost Catcher?

Googling handheld games featuring Fur Elise lead me to that and a soccer game.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

48 Hour Boner posted:

Any chance it was Ghost Catcher?

Googling handheld games featuring Fur Elise lead me to that and a soccer game.

It might have been, actually. I was going to say that I thought the game had a spooky theme, but it's such a vague memory that I'm not sure. Thanks!

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Edilaic posted:

This wasn't Spaceward Ho! was it? I don't think that had hexmaps, though.

Nope. Spaceward Ho didn't have a planetary development submenu.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Here's a doozy, I remember I had an old DOS text adventure game as a kid where you started off in a courtyard and the only detail I remember is if you went east or west(one of the two) you would run into a wild boar for some reason that unless you found a rusty sword first he would just kill you immediately.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for an RPG, on either Amiga or DOS VGA era, all I remember is that the title started with A and that it was set during an ice age. I thought it was Aarklash as it sounded similar, but that's another game altogether.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Pierzak posted:

Looking for an RPG, on either Amiga or DOS VGA era, all I remember is that the title started with A and that it was set during an ice age. I thought it was Aarklash as it sounded similar, but that's another game altogether.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/aleshar-the-world-of-ice ?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Aleshar: World of Ice?

E; fb

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Martian posted:

Aleshar: World of Ice?

Yes this is it, thanks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Space Invaders -like game that was called possibly something like Revenge of the Space Invaders or Space Invaders Strike Back! or... not. I think it was shareware, and definitely didn't have the polish of a major release. I'm thinkin hi-res VGA or EGA but maybe it just used colour sparingly. I played it around the turn of the millennium - probably DOS but possibly Windows (it was a Windows XP machine). It had some gimmick gameplay-wise but I can't even remember the loving gimmick! It was really a lot of fun and smooth to play once you got the hang of it.

It may have used :siren: STOP PRESS! OK I just now remembered what it was called, it's Rescue from Space Invaders. I'm still leaving this post here because it's a fun game. https://www.facebook.com/RescueFromSpaceInvaders/

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

I just tried to find an old Atari game I vaguely remember by googling “Atari game jumping across alligators” and google just returned a million fake sites. What’s up with that? Very annoying.

So anyway, I have a vague memory of an Atari game where you play a quite blocky guy seen from behind who has to jump across crocodiles over some water, moving vertically across the screen Frogger style. Is my memory mixing up several games, or does something like this exist?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Pitfall has you famously jumping on alligators, but it's a sidescroller. (Except the lack of scrolling but w/e).

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Wasn't there a Frogged clone where you're a chicken? Did that have alligators? I want to say it was called freeway or somesuch.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Wasn't there a Frogged clone where you're a chicken? Did that have alligators? I want to say it was called freeway or somesuch.

Some Goon posted:

Pitfall has you famously jumping on alligators, but it's a sidescroller. (Except the lack of scrolling but w/e).

Yeah, I’ve played some pitfall not long ago, but that’s not it. Maybe it was logs that you had to jump on. I remember that the main character was quite big and blocky, and possibly only one colour.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Could it be Frostbite?
I played so much of this as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1jGOu5No0

The Frogger reference made me think it may be

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
This is a long shot, I'm not looking for the name of a game but info on an arcade machine.

In 1993 or 94, I went to some sort of outdoor expo somewhere around the SF bay area and there were two (i think) arcade machines running Star Fox Weekend Competition inside full size, sit down, arwing replica cockpits. I'm pretty sure it was Star Fox Weekend because I remember being thrown off by the time limit and getting mad seeing Slippy's big dumb frog gently caress face on the game over screen. At this point I'm thinking they were built from scratch by the people running the competition booth because I can't find any photos or evidence that these arwing machines ever existed at all. Anyone know anything about this?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I know that they did used to make machines for specific events, I did a load of artwork for Namco and a couple of other things for the cabinets, that was to coincide with a Space Invaders launch on a console, I think PS2.
It may well have been a one off, it did happen frequently, stuff like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Tac Dibar posted:

Yeah, I’ve played some pitfall not long ago, but that’s not it. Maybe it was logs that you had to jump on. I remember that the main character was quite big and blocky, and possibly only one colour.

Congo bongo? Has logs and alligators.