Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I was going to say Miner 2049er or some Mr Do type of game, but I don't think you'd find a sidescrolling platformer on the Apple II.
Lots of these are ports of arcade titles, so maybe find the arcade original?
Like I remember a friend of mine having a copy of Robocop but it was black and white and ran incredibly slowly and the crosshairs on the the hostage portions taking a long time to draw the closest thing I can find to my memory was the ZX Spectrum port of this. Now why in the hell my friend had a ZX is another mystery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhkliKXIegg

There's this youtube channel with this guy just plowing through all sorts of old stuff that nobody remembers. Lots of bedroom coders in the 8-bit micro days where thirty thousand boxed or bagged copies is a best seller (and warez'd 100x over, lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ON_EBMXhv8

If you're trying to find a specific Galaga-alike on an Apple II, good luck. It's like finding a specific side scroller the NES, there's a thousand of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

I actually found it on an old disk. Thread got me thinking to look through my old crap. It’s a lode runner knockoff called key’s quest that I cannot seem to find in Google. I don’t have a working 5 1/4 drive (or Apple 2) or I’d try and rip it. Might try to eBay something.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How did "ripping" disks ever become slang? Was that the name of the first popular program to do it? It feels like it could be but I don't remember.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The internet is so dumb

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

How did "ripping" disks ever become slang? Was that the name of the first popular program to do it? It feels like it could be but I don't remember.
I used MusicMatch for rip+encode in the late 90's. IIRC a pentium 1 couldn't encode in realtime so you had to rip an entire disk to .wav format. But if you didn't have the HDD space, because you've got a 3 GB drive you had to do it a track at a time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicmatch_Jukebox

"Rip Mix Burn" Apple 2001, which was definitely a statement from them, but a common term.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pleybGLgaEc

DVD ripping and encoding around the DECSS time definitely saw use of the term.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
I have two, neither should be too tough but I haven't been able to find them. The first was probably a starcraft rip off, I played it as a demo in the 90s (or possibly early 2000s). It was an RTS where you played as humans fighting aliens, I believe martians specifically, and they were very typical "greys" with the big heads and all. I remember you could build marines among other units. I don't remember how resources or buildings worked, but I remember it being fairly typical RTS stuff for that era, warcraft, C&C etc style. I don't think it was very good, but that may have been because I was a kid so hard to say. The graphics seemed decent at the time, like more advanced than C&C or Warcaft one

Pb and Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 5, 2020

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
The other game I don't remember as well, I probably also played it as a demo, also in the 90s (or maybe early 2000s). It was a top down shooter in what seemed to be a post apocalyptic ruined city. I don't recall what the enemies were, but mutants/creatures seems familiar (as opposed to robots or some such). I'm sure there were different weapons, and I think you could go into buildings. One distinct mechanic I remember was that there were stations where you could buy ammo or health or some such, sort of like ATMs or vending machines. I feel like it was pixel style graphics. Something like this:

Pb and Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 5, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I have two, neither should be too tough but I haven't been able to find them. The first was probably a starcraft rip off, I played it as a demo in the 90s (or possibly early 2000s). It was an RTS where you played as humans fighting aliens, I believe martians specifically, and they were very typical "greys" with the big heads and all. I remember you could build marines among other units. I don't remember how resources or buildings worked, but I remember it being fairly typical RTS stuff for that era, warcraft, C&C etc style. I don't think it was very good, but that may have been because I was a kid so hard to say. The graphics seemed decent at the time, like more advanced than C&C or Warcaft one

Dark Colony?

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

That is exactly it, thanks!

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

The other game I don't remember as well, I probably also played it as a demo, also in the 90s (or maybe early 2000s). It was a top down shooter in what seemed to be a post apocalyptic ruined city. I don't recall what the enemies were, but mutants/creatures seems familiar (as opposed to robots or some such). I'm sure there were different weapons, and I think you could go into buildings. One distinct mechanic I remember was that there were stations where you could buy ammo or health or some such, sort of like ATMs or vending machines. I feel like it was pixel style graphics. Something like this:

Maybe "Take no Prisoners"?

holttho
May 21, 2007

I'm trying to remember a game I had back on the Sega Genesis that was kind of a jet-fighter bullet-hell type game. The first level was a top-down free-ish roam kind of level cordoned off by a very large grid of walls with gates in them and that you were blowing up bases. The second level was the same controls, but portrayed more as a side-scroller, and had very very narrow, jaggedy cave corridors and a blood-red kind of cave. I think the levels alternated between the top down and side as it went, and I want to say the game may or may not have been well translated into English.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

holttho posted:

I'm trying to remember a game I had back on the Sega Genesis that was kind of a jet-fighter bullet-hell type game. The first level was a top-down free-ish roam kind of level cordoned off by a very large grid of walls with gates in them and that you were blowing up bases. The second level was the same controls, but portrayed more as a side-scroller, and had very very narrow, jaggedy cave corridors and a blood-red kind of cave. I think the levels alternated between the top down and side as it went, and I want to say the game may or may not have been well translated into English.

That's gotta be Thunder Force II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv5c6Dq7_Yg

holttho
May 21, 2007

Success!

Thanks!

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Flannelette posted:

Maybe "Take no Prisoners"?

That looks like it, thank you! The screen movement is disorienting looking at gameplay now

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Probably an incredibly long shot, but: 1999/2000, freeware (?) Linux game, 2D sidescroller perspective. Big expansive arena-style levels with multiple floors linked by stairs/ladders, maybe. Range of playable characters to choose from. Gameplay was in a skirmish/deathmatch kind of format; the levels didn't have any objectives or end states and they were packed with characters running around trying to kill each other. I don't remember it having anything resembling a campaign. Felt like it was designed with multiplayer in mind but I only ever played against bots. I remember the environment being grey and maybe there was a tall red guy I liked playing as???

It was a contemporary of XBill if that helps at all.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

XEvil

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh my god that's it, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhYkiGniyBk

It's a lot more mid-90s Piss poo poo Edgy than I remember it being!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Pretty good posted:

Oh my god that's it, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhYkiGniyBk

It's a lot more mid-90s Piss poo poo Edgy than I remember it being!

Oh poo poo, I remember playing the Windows version of this. What a weird thing.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

I'm trying to remember the name of a PS1 FPS that I played a demo of from the UK Official Magazine at the time. I remember that it had coloured lighting and I seemed to drop a lot of flares. It may have been made by Psygnosis, Codemasters or other UK dev?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Anonymouse Mook posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a PS1 FPS that I played a demo of from the UK Official Magazine at the time. I remember that it had coloured lighting and I seemed to drop a lot of flares. It may have been made by Psygnosis, Codemasters or other UK dev?

Assault Rigs maybe?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Lifeforce Tenka?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HOZI2KuxQQ

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think i tried this one before with no real luck: it was a dos action platform game that i had on a shareware cd, main character was a punk looking guy with rockets for legs, he had a strange walk animation and the controls were really slippery, you could propel yourself upward using his rocket legs, the game's most notable thing were the graphics, there was a lot of parallax scrolling and every platform was 3d or pseudo-3d although the game itself was just a normal 2d type of game

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As a kid I had/played some game or possibly edutainment software where the badguy's catchphrase was "Uk yuk, rotten luck", and I remember nothing else about it. Probably ran on Mac. The only hit on Google is a Japanese site rehosting a video and comments on a Gigglebone Gang LP where someone says it in the comments, and while the publishers intro looks vaguely familiar, none of the titles they put out jump out.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Some Goon posted:

As a kid I had/played some game or possibly edutainment software where the badguy's catchphrase was "Uk yuk, rotten luck", and I remember nothing else about it. Probably ran on Mac. The only hit on Google is a Japanese site rehosting a video and comments on a Gigglebone Gang LP where someone says it in the comments, and while the publishers intro looks vaguely familiar, none of the titles they put out jump out.

Definitely sounds like Gigglebone gang game though, there's a character who had that exact catchphrase and he's voiced by Stephan Weyte of all people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okdSyPV-ndM&t=461s

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Flannelette posted:

Definitely sounds like Gigglebone gang game though, there's a character who had that exact catchphrase and he's voiced by Stephan Weyte of all people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okdSyPV-ndM&t=461s

Upon further digging it was "Gigglebone Gang in Infinitely City", though I might have just had a demo that either came with something or was just on one of those shareware compilation disks.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Looking for 2 titles:

- arcade game from the 90s, with Spider-Man and 3 other characters to choose from. It changed perspective so some stages played like a classic beat'em up and some like a platform game.

- DOS game, similar to Archon in that you have a main boardgame map but when pieces meet they duke it out in an action part. Instead of a pseudo-chess board, it had an actual map and you bought units, traps and other stuff (spells? items?) with points. I remember two units - an emaciated ghoul that was invisible for most of the fight and an extremely muscly red demon that barely fit into its square.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 22, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Pierzak posted:

- arcade game from the 90s, with Spider-Man and 3 other characters to choose from. It changed perspective so some stages played like a classic beat'em up and some like a platform game.

That was just called Spider-Man: The Videogame.

quote:

- DOS game, similar to Archon in that you have a main boardgame map but when pieces meet they duke it out in an action part. Instead of a pseudo-chess board, it had an actual map and you bought units, traps and other stuff (spells? items?) with points. I remember two units - an emaciated ghoul that was invisible for most of the fight and an extremely muscly red demon that barely fit into its square.

Dark Legions?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I think so. Apparently it was too generic of a title to avoid false positives.

That's it!

Thanks!

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 22, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I bought Dark Legions immediately upon playing it two-player at my buddy's house, because the concept was fantastic, but it definitely needed the "fog of war" of modem play to really work (hard to surprise someone with traps when you could just watch them being placed).

I never played it again. Truly the greatest gaming tragedy of all time

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Watching a let’s play of Outer Wilds recently jogged some very blurry childhood memories of a (most probably) C64 space game. You explored a solar system, I think overrun with hostile aliens, in your spaceship and the view would transition from each planet surface to the entire solar system by zooming out. I remember one gas giant with half a dozen satellites around it that you could visit, tho going to the gas giant itself would crush your ship. On each world there were physical puzzles to solve and I think there was a tight time limit too. Frankly I’m not even sure whether I ever played this thing or if I’m remembering a childhood dream.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Captain Blood, maybe? https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/captain-blood/screenshots

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
No, but I played hours upon hours of captain blood as a kid. The language interface was fun.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It didn't have puzzles as its main thing, but maybe Star Control?

E:

This hinges on you misremembering things, but maybe it can push your memory in the right direction.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A game that I have been wondering about for, like, 10 years. I tried posting it once in one of these threads many years ago but no luck. But who knows, time to try again!

It's a top-down game where you controlled a red character. The game had screens, so no scrolling but you walked off one screen on to the next. You started with a knife but you could find various different weapons, I remember a pistol and a machine gun specifically. Every weapon was in the game twice and if you found both versions, you'd get an improved version: I remember finding both pistols gave you a handgun for example, that shot farther and faster (I think?), and finding a second knife made you able to stab things faster.

I also remember that there was a lake that you had to cross, but first you had to obtain a boat. There was also a church, I even think it was on the same screen as the lake, but I'm not sure.

Time period must have been late eighties at the latest I'm guessing: I'm not sure if I played this in DOS or Windows 3.1, but I think it was a very early VGA game.

E: MSpaint!

The character, currently using his knife, is quite close to what he(?) looked like in my memory, the rest is more vague.

Martian fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 28, 2020

vaudeville
Feb 27, 2013

Martian posted:

A game that I have been wondering about for, like, 10 years. I tried posting it once in one of these threads many years ago but no luck. But who knows, time to try again!

It's a top-down game where you controlled a red character. The game had screens, so no scrolling but you walked off one screen on to the next. You started with a knife but you could find various different weapons, I remember a pistol and a machine gun specifically. Every weapon was in the game twice and if you found both versions, you'd get an improved version: I remember finding both pistols gave you a handgun for example, that shot farther and faster (I think?), and finding a second knife made you able to stab things faster.

I also remember that there was a lake that you had to cross, but first you had to obtain a boat. There was also a church, I even think it was on the same screen as the lake, but I'm not sure.

Time period must have been late eighties at the latest I'm guessing: I'm not sure if I played this in DOS or Windows 3.1, but I think it was a very early VGA game.

E: MSpaint!

The character, currently using his knife, is quite close to what he(?) looked like in my memory, the rest is more vague.

Sounds a lot like Hoosier City:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/hoosier-city/screenshots

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Yes, that's it! Awesome, thank you.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
What in the world, I would have been all about this game back in the day, and it is just one of at least three games in the same style according to MobyGames.

Is this as obscure as it seems to me, or did I just somehow miss this corner of the shareware market in 1992?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think it's pretty obscure, over the years I tried a lot of combinations in google to find it, but never did. Apparently it has three acts , I didn't know that either; presumably because only the first act would have been shareware. I never managed to finish act 1 as a kid, iirc.

It looks better than I remember and is (fittingly) very difficult. And yes, the church is on the same screen as the lake!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BlueHeron posted:

Seems like it could be this, although it's a compilation of different games:
https://www.giantbomb.com/power-plays/3030-48997/images/

gently caress me drunk, those particular games don't seem to match but that's definitely the YOWZA BRILTOID thing I remember. :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Alright, this one might be a little vague?

It's some sort of educational software, most likely Windows, from around 2000/2001, and it was either about, or included a section about, electronic circuit design. I never played it myself, but I was in a school computer room where it got played a whole bunch.
All the different circuit components would have different personalities and would introduce themselves to the player. The transistors were some sort of cheerleaders whose chant is now burned into my brain:

"I'm a transistor sister!
I get an electric charge!
Then I open up a valve
To make the current very large!"