Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dennyk posted:

I made all of my hard-earned wealth the old-fashioned way: by stealing a bunch of ancient artifacts, bones, and technology of immense cultural and historic value and selling them to the highest bidder until I had enough money to purchase a fleet of frigates, then extracting the surplus value of my unpaid crews' labour and keeping it all for myself.

:britain:

My planets are named things like 'radioactive storms, weird birds' or 'looks nice but sentinels' or 'lots of copper'. When I find my forever planet I'll give it a nice poetic name.

e: Sorry, goon at foot of previous page asked:

'Oh yeah, what's up with refiners having local limits now? When I played on PS4 I'm sure I could place a ton of large refiners in one spot, but now on PC I can only put down 2 before having to move far away to place more. '

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The refiner limit has been a thing for a while now, I think to help large bases avoid losing stuff in a refiner. You can still adjacency glitch as many as you want in, but if you leave the area you run the risk of stuff in the refiner bugging out and being completely lost.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So I found a basalt planet with some wicked mountains and plenty of volcanoes, a supervillain’s dreamland for a volcano-lair. Put my base computer on top of the highest volcano peak I could find, then remembered that you could do the stairway-to-heaven trick to make “floating” bases.

...I managed to get so high up that if I hit my rocket pack on my landing pad, my life support starts dropping as if I’m in space, and upon landing I get the “now entering atmosphere” warning :laffo:

e: sunset, right before heading down to cleanup the stairway.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 25, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

... How many ignitors does that make? Jesus, I have like 5 biomes on my base and a few other bases for gas harvesting.

I honestly don't know, since my activated indium mine is how I make money. I think my original spec was for 10000/day of the resources you could harvest multiples (the bigger wings on the left) and 100/day of the others. In the end the numbers on the wiki were wrong and I get waaaaay more than that. I also had 100k/day for every single resource across multiple bases, or did before Basalt came in, but those are nerfed down to ~4000/day now.

The base is named "An Unreasonable Amount". It's got a comm ball on PC so enjoy. :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Diephoon posted:

Has anyone found a pet that's actually useful as a mount or is the "ride pet" function just there for photos?
I have a mechanical pet whose default walk speed is actually about as fast as my run (not sprinting). There's still the matter of steering but I guess if I'm wanting to take a nice long walk I can just point it in the right direction and sit back.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Welp, so ends my attempt at Survival mode rags-to-riches. At 4:06 I had the industry blueprints for a small solar-powered copper farm, enough rusted-metal-generated ferrite dust to make it a reality, a healthy supply of chromatic and a large store of copper to turn into more, and a functional solar/battery portal for getting out and selling. After that went up the next stop would have been turning that copper mined into chromatic while farming the remaining salvage I'd need for EM generators and then loop sell->expand for a bit to get enough cash/resources to push through to indium. It'd probably take another 3-4 hours. If I cheated and utilized multiplayer from the anomaly I could break the game wide open in under two, but the challenge was doing it without that.

What those four hours don't show is the 3.5 hours lost to crashes. I don't know what they patched in with the last patch but it's gone from something where I could build a nightmare framerate-killing structure without a problem to something that dies almost constantly. I was dragging a save point with me everywhere after losing two hour plus runs to a crash when I got back to base. As I only had a few more hours to go I figured I'd push on and at least get to the point where it was all recursive wealth generation.

Finally, with a packed inventory borne of 45 minutes of farming, I boosted forward about six inches off the ground and instantly died when I set down.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

I have a mechanical pet whose default walk speed is actually about as fast as my run (not sprinting). There's still the matter of steering but I guess if I'm wanting to take a nice long walk I can just point it in the right direction and sit back.

My mecha-deer haul rear end when riding.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I seem to have a broken quest. I have to recruit a Korvax scientist to my base to continue multiple story questlines but the icon/indication of which space station it's in doesn't exist. I checked and I am on the right quest. I've tried hopping between several different Korvax space stations and talking to everyone there, completing some side quests and then re-selecting it, the weird "have you put the terminal in a square room" solution I found on google and still no luck. Anyone got any ideas? Cause I'm talking to every Korvax in the drat galaxy and no one wants to come to my base.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
There's specific npcs for that in a side room of every station, the side with the galactic trade terminal I thought?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

DelphiAegis posted:

There's specific npcs for that in a side room of every station, the side with the galactic trade terminal I thought?

Yeah I've been talking to them in that room, in every Korvax space station I have (so I'm up to five at least), no icon indication and no luck. I actually got dialogue from a Vy'keen trying to join my base but the terminal it needed is the next stage, so I had to decline. Which makes me worry I've somehow skipped the right order and dead ended the quest.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

You can go to your quest log and restart a quest. I had to do that when needing to find a Gek cartographer.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

coolusername posted:

Yeah I've been talking to them in that room, in every Korvax space station I have (so I'm up to five at least), no icon indication and no luck. I actually got dialogue from a Vy'keen trying to join my base but the terminal it needed is the next stage, so I had to decline. Which makes me worry I've somehow skipped the right order and dead ended the quest.

They often aren't in that room, try talking to every Korvax in the station.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I did something dumb. I made a galaxy jump but forgot to exchange my multi-tool for the cheap, empty back-up I kept for this exact thing. I also remembered to take my bio-ship but then forgot to move all the tech inside into the protected technology-slots.

So now everything is broken. Everything. :shepface:

This may take a while, ha ha. :suicide:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

marktheando posted:

They often aren't in that room, try talking to every Korvax in the station.

I want to say the one I hired was just milling about near the teleporter.

Speaking of the terminal staff, is there any benefit to hiring one with higher rank? Will a cadet Armourer make worse multi-tools than say, a captain?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Libluini posted:

I did something dumb. I made a galaxy jump but forgot to exchange my multi-tool for the cheap, empty back-up I kept for this exact thing. I also remembered to take my bio-ship but then forgot to move all the tech inside into the protected technology-slots.

So now everything is broken. Everything. :shepface:

This may take a while, ha ha. :suicide:

I did this just the other day, completely forgetting that things would break.

So My 24 slot Multitool was wrecked. My extensive collection of upgrades in my suit were wrecked. Like three things in my ship (:confused:) were wrecked.

Fortunately I was able to call in my freighter with my ample collection of materials in storage containers and I fixed everything immediately except my underwater jets which wanted living pearls.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

coolusername posted:

I had exactly this, it isn't broken if you also get other options at the same time, don't worry.

Two possible issues
- you need to select the secondary mission that asks you to hire the scientist, not the main-mission saying to progress the same thing. It should then suggest one to you with the icon. Somehow this doesn't always work, so you can jump around a bit and restart it and then it should.
- General to all the hires, it can seem to only spawn them at trade outposts, so land at those instead and ask them all. The easiest way you can locate these is with the x-menu with an economy scanner installed to your ship.

The main place the scientist is meant to be, is in the back-room where the second market hub is.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AirRaid posted:

So My 24 slot Multitool was wrecked. My extensive collection of upgrades in my suit were wrecked. Like three things in my ship (:confused:) were wrecked.

Fortunately I was able to call in my freighter with my ample collection of materials in storage containers and I fixed everything immediately except my underwater jets which wanted living pearls.

One helpful thing to remember is the repair kits you get from derelict freighters (you can also buy them from the scrap dealer with the tainted metal from the derelicts if you don't find one directly). Very useful to fix stuff that requires some pain in the butt component for repair.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

One helpful thing to remember is the repair kits you get from derelict freighters (you can also buy them from the scrap dealer with the tainted metal from the derelicts if you don't find one directly). Very useful to fix stuff that requires some pain in the butt component for repair.

And it is only now that I realise I actually have a stack of those somewhere. In my ship inventory probably. :doh:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AirRaid posted:

And it is only now that I realise I actually have a stack of those somewhere. In my ship inventory probably. :doh:

Yup, I do that too, that's why I posted about it! Might as well use the buggers if you have them but I always forget I have like two stacks in freighter storage

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And now I remember that I forgot to use my stacks of repair kits the last time that happened to me, and instead spent ages looking for the needed items. Oh well.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
None of that worked, but I read that sometimes going long distances can trigger a cue to reset quests. Did my first portal and voila, it was up for reset and now it's all working fine again except for the portal dumping me on an extreme planet mid firestorm ages from my ship which, rude. But I made it! I also did my first derelict freighter and drat the sound direction is really on point for the horrifying loving nest stirring bits.

I also found a radioactive abomination planet with constant gamma cyclones which is now my storm crystal base if I ever need some, so that's handy.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

beautiful.

From what I can tell, they don't grow anymore after hatching, and 12m (in the description) seems to be the size cap, but there is some weirdness going on with creature heads, as I've hatched several biologicals so far after sequencing their size to max, and there is some point in the sequencing process where the heads start to get larger and larger after the body stops.

I had 2 babies from my yeti, and one baby from a velociraptor thing who were all purportedly 12m tall, but who's mothers were only 3m tall, and the body is not 3x bigger but the head sure is.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Ah, that explains a lot about what I've been seeing when trying to increase the size of some of my critters. I keep getting offspring with gigantic heads and not much growth, so I'm probably effectively size-capped unless Big Head Mode is what I'm looking for.

Update:

I'm seeing online that perhaps juveniles with HUGE HEADS actually DO continue to grow into their head size, and that it takes about a week of real-time.

I will need to test this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

I'll probably do something similar soon, I just hope I have enough bio-poo poo like hypnotic eyes lying around. Ugh. As soon as repairs are done I'll move those bio-machines into the tech-inventory, because otherwise the exact same thing will happen again next time :shepface:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Update:

I'm seeing online that perhaps juveniles with HUGE HEADS actually DO continue to grow into their head size, and that it takes about a week of real-time.

I will need to test this.

Update: THEY GROW UP.

if your baby has a big rear end head, after something like a week they will grow into their head size.

And they get fuckin big.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

blarzgh posted:

if your baby has a big rear end head, after something like a week they will grow into their head size.

And they get fuckin big.

Okay, back to bioengineering GIANT HEADED BABIES then

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

blarzgh posted:

And they get fuckin big.

poo poo my diplo is going to be absurd

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Story: I'm getting the feeling that every time an option to euthanise or let something die appears, I should take it. Literally every other "can we maybe find another way? no??" I've run into is YOU HAVE COMMITED A GRAVE SIN after. It's like Artemis, random sick animal in a lab I can feed or euthanise, convergence cube, the only good option is "KILL" whoopsy-daisy.

However, I hatched my first egg! not a diplo or a robot horse or anything special, but I love my gummy t-rex child.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
They get BIG

That tiny dot at the base of his neck: me.

Next experiment: does the size cap apply to the next generation?!?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Btw I think the mechanical pets are born at max size

Wrong, they grow up, too.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 27, 2021

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

It does. Once a creature reaches its size cap, you cannot sequence the offspring to be even bigger.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

blarzgh posted:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The question was: is the size cap tied to the creature, or the species - If I sequence the first egg to it's maximum size, will the egg from that creature be able to again sequence to a new maximum size, or is the size cap tied to the species.

It's the latter.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
One last thing: while it's simple to clock-scum the eggs, the pet's age appears to be tied to the calendar.

After moving the date forward to have the creature grow, going back online reset the calendar to today's date.

When doing so, the creature that I currently had summoned stayed an adult, but the other two reverted back to infants in my creature catalogue, and we're back to their Big Head/smaller body size when summoned.

The solution is either to have them summoned when you set the date back to the present day, or perhaps to scum the date back several weeks, hatch them on the fake past date, then return the date to normal and they'll stay grown.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Everything I've learned about raising pets so far:

blarzgh posted:

Egg sequencer ingredients, according to reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...utm_medium=mweb

Also it appears your companion will, after their timer is up, only produce an egg in their "natural environment" so you have to check what it is in the companion screen and travel to a world with those conditions to have them lay an egg.

blarzgh posted:

You Can sequence an egg multiple times, however when you hit the height/weight limit of the creature the same variable, the output will say, "inherited" instead of "increased".

blarzgh posted:

BTW for anyone on XBox:

You can go to Network > Go Offline, then restart your box.

Fire up NMS, then open XBOX settings, and just change the time and date to fast-forward through egg times and insta-hatch/lay, etc. This works for Void Eggs, and resource respawn as well. You can still save the game while offline.

When you're done, you can just go back to Network > Go Online

I assume there is a similar mechanic on PS and I'm sure the computer nerds have a workaround as well.

blarzgh posted:

And they get fuckin big.

blarzgh posted:

Once a creature reaches its size cap, you cannot sequence the offspring to be even bigger.

blarzgh posted:

One last thing: while it's simple to clock-scum the eggs, the pet's age appears to be tied to the calendar.

After moving the date forward to have the creature grow, going back online reset the calendar to today's date.

When doing so, the creature that I currently had summoned stayed an adult, but the other two reverted back to infants in my creature catalogue, and we're back to their Big Head/smaller body size when summoned.

The solution is either to have them summoned when you set the date back to the present day, or perhaps to scum the date back several weeks, hatch them on the fake past date, then return the date to normal and they'll stay grown.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

coolusername posted:

Story: I'm getting the feeling that every time an option to euthanise or let something die appears, I should take it. Literally every other "can we maybe find another way? no??" I've run into is YOU HAVE COMMITED A GRAVE SIN after. It's like Artemis, random sick animal in a lab I can feed or euthanise, convergence cube, the only good option is "KILL" whoopsy-daisy.

However, I hatched my first egg! not a diplo or a robot horse or anything special, but I love my gummy t-rex child.

Hard disagree here. I always took the survival option at all times, and it always went great. :colbert:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Finished the main story and left Euclid for the green galaxy! I want to take Atlas with me as a companion

Honestly, I'm pleasantly surprised at how fun this game has been since it has such a rocky notorious beginning. I'm glad I took the risk with the half price sale given I've barely even scratched half the systems in this game.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I just downloaded this off PC Game pass and I was having fun with it, poking around the first couple of systems and starting to understand the fundamentals, when I landed on an ice planet that my PC seems to loving hate and doing random things on there causes a hard crash to desktop. Also, I spent a few hours running around a planet digging up technology modules and then landed in that anomaly station and bought a bunch of base blueprints. I had to reload back to the start of the station for some reason and didn't think anything of it, but when I next went to build a base I saw I had none of the blueprints unlocked yet I was still missing the 60+ buried technology modules I'd spent. Is buggy poo poo like this par for the course or is there something I can do? I built my PC in December and have all the latest drivers/whatever so there's nothing wrong with the hardware. I tried disabling the GeForce experience control panel but to no avail.

It's a shame because I was enjoying getting into it but if I can't really do poo poo if it's going to be unstable as gently caress.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Butterfly Valley posted:

I just downloaded this off PC Game pass and I was having fun with it, poking around the first couple of systems and starting to understand the fundamentals, when I landed on an ice planet that my PC seems to loving hate and doing random things on there causes a hard crash to desktop. Also, I spent a few hours running around a planet digging up technology modules and then landed in that anomaly station and bought a bunch of base blueprints. I had to reload back to the start of the station for some reason and didn't think anything of it, but when I next went to build a base I saw I had none of the blueprints unlocked yet I was still missing the 60+ buried technology modules I'd spent. Is buggy poo poo like this par for the course or is there something I can do? I built my PC in December and have all the latest drivers/whatever so there's nothing wrong with the hardware. I tried disabling the GeForce experience control panel but to no avail.

It's a shame because I was enjoying getting into it but if I can't really do poo poo if it's going to be unstable as gently caress.

I only ran into two major bugs (one mission wouldn't trigger properly and I had to do some random poo poo to trigger a reset, and one time I accidentally landed clipped into the building and I almost had to restart but managed to get out of it) and one crash over about fifty hours, so it definitely wasn't that unstable for me. But I have a pretty hardcore PC.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

coolusername posted:

I only ran into two major bugs (one mission wouldn't trigger properly and I had to do some random poo poo to trigger a reset, and one time I accidentally landed clipped into the building and I almost had to restart but managed to get out of it) and one crash over about fifty hours, so it definitely wasn't that unstable for me. But I have a pretty hardcore PC.

I just built with a 3080 and a 5600x, so hardware shouldn't be an issue for me either. Also it's weird how the game seemed totally stable for the first 7 hours or so but just since this last planet it seems to have poo poo the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Did you play it all in one session? Since the last patch, the game does seem to get slightly more unstable if you visit a lot of different places at a time.
I've generally had no issues, even going back a couple of years, but recently if I try to keep the game open a while and alt-tab, I can seem to get it into a situation where it just wants to run out of memory (a guess) and then doing something like visiting a large base or the anomaly will kick it over.
I'd try just restarting the game every couple of hours until it's addressed.

Having said that I've never lost anything from a re-load.