Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress that. If I'm buying a shithole, it'll have a shithole price.

E: house AND a church for $60k in Illinois. Hours from anywhere relevant.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...-DktgWSJp1Z6a-K

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Feb 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
we were very seriously considering buying a condo or townhouse but the investors have swooped back in and everything is on loving fire again

one townhouse we looked at that hadn't been updated since the 80s and reeked of cat piss sold for 700k iirc

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

gently caress that. If I'm buying a shithole, it'll have a shithole price.

E: house AND a church for $60k in Illinois. Hours from anywhere relevant.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...-DktgWSJp1Z6a-K

At least it's in Northern IL, anything south of i-80 is basically Missouritucky

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 04:43 on Feb 27, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zeno-25 posted:

At least it's in Northern IL, anything south of i-80 is basically Missouritucky

Yeah.

Yeah.

I grew up between Kankakee and Champaign, so, yeah. :smith:

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah.

Yeah.

I grew up between Kankakee and Champaign, so, yeah. :smith:

Went to school in Peoria :hfive:

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

the further i get into tech career the more convinced i am that in a few decades it transformed from knapsack problems and logstics nerdery to a sort of departmental branch of the aristocracy, where success is measured by your ability to rapidly digest and regurgitate a constantly shifting cant, and your entire livelihood is just memorizing and reciting these long patterns of jargon to your colleagues to prove youre still part of the club

this but all C level

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zeno-25 posted:

Went to school in Peoria :hfive:

It's just so much goddamn cheaper there. Lots of small town houses no one wants, that were last updated in the 70s/80s when Silents were retiring from the farms. Perfectly livable, just hours from a job that isn't in nursing or trucking. Also water full of pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, etc.

I could coast on my veterans benefits and afford a different life back there, but it's not Colorado, and I'm not ready to leave here yet. Housing prices are definitely steering me out of state though.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's just so much goddamn cheaper there. Lots of small town houses no one wants, that were last updated in the 70s/80s when Silents were retiring from the farms. Perfectly livable, just hours from a job that isn't in nursing or trucking. Also water full of pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, etc.

I could coast on my veterans benefits and afford a different life back there, but it's not Colorado, and I'm not ready to leave here yet. Housing prices are definitely steering me out of state though.

I do almost miss the place, it was pretty racially diverse and the university and caterpillar kept things from being too backwater, at least when i was there in the late 00s

It's tempting to move back around there or maybe western Michigan now that weed is legal in those states but i can only imagine how ugly rural areas have gotten since Trump. And moving back east is the wrong direction

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

god drat

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the democrats are about to start mass evictions gently caress off about how you can’t buy a new house, no one can, we know

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
And if you're worried about Climate Change, the Great Lakes should fare better than most of the US.

Operation: Cheap House could easily be a great idea in the long run.

(Everyone everywhere will be affected. It's just a question of how soon and how hard.)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
joe biden will have failed to protect many future homeless people. joe cucked by the courts is my favorite new genre

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
what country could i go to if i wanted to escape much of the devastation. maybe russia?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

And if you're worried about Climate Change, the Great Lakes should fare better than most of the US.

(Everyone everywhere will be affected. It's just a question of how soon and how hard.)

Sudbury is going to be a powerful city state in the new world

Judakel posted:

what country could i go to if i wanted to escape much of the devastation. maybe russia?

the woods of beautiful Sudbury of course

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Judakel posted:

China's eyeing Siberia speculatively what with the Himelayan glaciers expected to dry up by late century, but good luck with that lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Complications posted:

China's eyeing Siberia speculatively what with the Himelayan glaciers expected to dry up by late century, but good luck with that lol

why can't i go i am going

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Accretionist posted:

I'm moving to Detroit and buying houses for this reason. Then Sault Ste Marie. And it's close to Canada, if there's a need to slip over the border 'cause things are getting frosty.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Frequent Handies posted:

I'm moving to Detroit and buying houses for this reason. Then Sault Ste Marie.

and given your username we know how'd you afford it

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Judakel posted:

Turns out it's not very valuable there, I'll have to figure something else out

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
perhaps the answer doesn’t lie in individual escapism and planning for somewhere secure to ride things out but in solidarity with other people where you are now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frequent Handies posted:

I'm moving to Detroit and buying houses for this reason. Then Sault Ste Marie. And it's close to Canada, if there's a need to slip over the border 'cause things are getting frosty.

:hmmyes:
i love Windsor. Sault Ste Marie is no Sudbury though.....

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

perhaps the answer doesn’t lie in individual escapism and planning for somewhere secure to ride things out but in solidarity with other people where you are now

I live in yuppie central, there's no solidarity here. I'll set up somewhere else and have something ready if people get tired of drought and fires. Otherwise, I'd rather join a community somewhere that isn't going to be a baked desert where houses cost a million on the low end.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frequent Handies posted:

I live in yuppie central, there's no solidarity here. I'll set up somewhere else and have something ready if people get tired of drought and fires. Otherwise, I'd rather join a community somewhere that isn't going to be a baked desert where houses cost a million on the low end.

if you move to detroit we can start a vanguard party and seize the city at an opportune moment

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

FIRE is not a new concept the problem is that it only works if you have income you can invest. Don’t take any vacations, drive old cars until they are uneconomic to fix, live in a rat hole, buy everything in bulk and never eat out... for decades.

:lol:guess who's 33 and lives with their mom?:shepicide:

almost every cent I get from Unemployment goes into CEF DRIPs and occasional Bank Equities like $BK, $UBS, $SBT, $PBCT etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

almost every cent I get from Unemployment goes into CEF DRIPs and occasional Bank Equities like $BK, $UBS, $SBT, $PBCT etc.

thats hosed up dude maybe buy food instead of securities

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Judakel posted:

nice av/post combo

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Rutibex posted:

if you move to detroit we can start a vanguard party and seize the city at an opportune moment

Excellent. In the meantime, I'll leverage my left coast computer touching job into land bank auctions and local contractors to make a DAZ

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Centrist Committee posted:

Escape together.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Rutibex posted:

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

almost every cent I get from Unemployment thats left over goes into CEF DRIPs and occasional Bank Equities like $BK, $UBS, $SBT, $PBCT etc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rutibex posted:

food is temporary. retirement is forever

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Escape together.

People gotta actually believe it's A Thing and not '3 feet of sea rise by 2100 that's a concern'

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Part of the problem is where 80+ percent of people live is places that are probably going to be wet in my lifetime.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Accretionist posted:

The UP of michigan will become a vacation hotspot in 30-40 years once the climate starts approaching Florida North. You will have a mostly unpopulated peninsula filled with beautiful nature that is ripe for being turned into beach communities

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
griddy is shutting down lol

for those who missed it, griddy was the power company that gave Texas customers 5-digit heating bills during the recent Day After Tomorrow extended ARG

quote:

To our loyal Griddy members,

It was not a choice we made.

On February 16th we asked ERCOT for emergency help when our members needed it the most and they did not take action. This is after the PUCT mandated the maximum price for days – a decision they made to take the price out of the hands of the market in a 6-minute meeting.

Today, ERCOT took our members and have effectively shut down Griddy. On the same day when ERCOT announced that it had a $2.1 billion shortfall, it decided to take this action against only one company that represents a tiny fraction of the market and that shortfall.

We have always been transparent and customer-centric at every step. We wanted to continue the fight for our members to get relief and that hasn’t changed.

We will send you updates with more information as we get it. You will always be a Griddster.

A heartfelt thank you,  
The Griddy Family

the griddy family is pissed

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

The UP of michigan will become a vacation hotspot in 30-40 years once the climate starts approaching Florida North. You will have a mostly unpopulated peninsula filled with beautiful nature that is ripe for being turned into beach communities

The Soo will also be an actual port city since the locks are being upgraded and it'll be the nexus for commercial shipping in the new Great Lakes Commonwealth

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

its blackpills and landlords this weekend at the Doomsday econ thread

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

same, honestly

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

griddy is shutting down lol

for those who missed it, griddy was the power company that gave Texas customers 5-digit heating bills during the recent Day After Tomorrow extended ARG

the griddy family is pissed

our incredible journey (away from the lynch mob as fast as possible)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

Sudbury is going to be a powerful city state in the new world

the woods of beautiful Sudbury of course

You can't grow poo poo in Sudbury. Buy in Azilda.

Do they still have that crappy mall with the department store that sucks more than Giant Tiger?