Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Somehow pleased to see that cartoons-in-the-real-world movies in 2021 don't look any better than Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel like he's not entirely wrong, though. We have seen people react very positively to the depiction of homosexual relationships in cartoons, and despite that Disney will still push against it. Their brand is just that precious to them.

Actually, was there any pushback against the increased amount of LGBTQ presence in cartoons? I didn't notice any but I might've just missed it.

Pretty much just the usual internet nazi and poorly disguised nazi whiners no one sane pays attention to anymore. There really isn't a Moral Majority anymore worth speaking of.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much just the usual internet nazi and poorly disguised nazi whiners no one sane pays attention to anymore. There really isn't a Moral Majority anymore worth speaking of.

Don't some countries censor that stuff though? I remember they made Ruby a dude in SU, and I'm really curious to know how they handled the (unskippable, really important to the plot) wedding episode where she's wearing a dress.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Didn't they make that episode kind of explicitly as a gently caress-you to the people/countries who would otherwise be able to handwave their way past it?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Elman posted:

Don't some countries censor that stuff though? I remember they made Ruby a dude in SU, and I'm really curious to know how they handled the (unskippable, really important to the plot) wedding episode where she's wearing a dress.

They just skip the episode. The guy censoring gay weddings in Russian children’s cartoons doesn’t care about preserving the lore or plot line.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's less to please the fractured moral majority in the US - it's more not to lose out on that China money, movies that do poorly in the US can still make money hand over fist in China.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just watched Disney's Atlantis. It's definitely one of the more made by committee animated films I've seen.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Schwarzwald posted:

I just watched Disney's Atlantis. It's definitely one of the more made by committee animated films I've seen.

I think they were getting spooked by stuff like Titan A.E. and Dreamworks things and tricking themselves into thinking they were doomed unless they followed the trends of the upstarts (didn't help that they were fresh out of fairy tales to adapt). I remember a CalArts friend telling me the studio pitch one-liners were "Fewer songs, more explosions" and "Not a dry pair of pants in the house"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I enjoy Atlantis, but what I think that movie really suffered from was just having WAY too many characters. You could've gotten rid of The Mole, Ernest's old man character, the old lady, Helga really didn't serve a huge purpose, you could've probably merged her with Rourke into one character. I would keep Sweets and Audrey, and I would never cut Vinny.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Atlantis is a pretty solid movie until they get to Atlantis

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It felt like a film without an audience. The less exaggerated designs and older cast seemed to be pushing for an older audience than the typical Disney family film, but the relentless pacing, punched-up script, and constant repetition of plot points made me feel like it was aimed at squarely at five-year-olds.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I've said it before in the thread, too, but the character designs are all over the place; Mole and Sweet really don't seem like they belong in the same movie.

Also, quoting myself here - shout outs to what has to be the highest body count in a Disney movie (that entire sub, just full of redshirts), and the weird rear end way the villain died, which had the distinct feeling of two people arguing for their versions in the writers room until someone else side "gently caress IT WE'LL DO THEM BOTH"

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
it has a very similar vibe to Hercules: really fun and pretty fleshed out characters that deserved to be in a better movie. even the villains felt neutered

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Megera posted:

it has a very similar vibe to Hercules: really fun and pretty fleshed out characters that deserved to be in a better movie. even the villains felt neutered

I've really come around on Hercules over time. The main character himself is dull but the others make enough for me, and the humor is pretty great.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Such highs and lows. Way-too-intense Rip Torn Zeus is amazing, but Hera as doting mother is lmao. Crazy cool Gerald Scarfe art design, godawful CGI on the hydra. Rad motown/R&B twist on the music, but I'm not so sure the Rocky/prizefighting reframe works. Hades is fantastic in concept and execution, but it's hard to watch him knowing it's James Woods. Etc

e: also it's about where I started thinking it's a little weird and off-putting that Disney keeps insisting on having the story center around the hero/heroine moping about finding "the place where I belong"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Such highs and lows. Way-too-intense Rip Torn Zeus is amazing, but Hera as doting mother is lmao. Crazy cool Gerald Scarfe art design, godawful CGI on the hydra. Rad motown/R&B twist on the music, but I'm not so sure the Rocky/prizefighting reframe works. Hades is fantastic in concept and execution, but it's hard to watch him knowing it's James Woods. Etc

Yeah it’s a weird feeling, I like Woods’ performance as Hades in everything the character’s been in but I despise the actor as a person. The movie itself is ok for the most part though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And I honestly like Meg as a character, someone who romantically as she said 'been there, done that' showing you can love again after your True Love turned out to be a scumbag.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I watched a bunch of the Hercules cartoon as a kid and felt it made a decent accompaniment to the movie. It was pretty silly.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Larryb posted:

Yeah it’s a weird feeling, I like Woods’ performance as Hades in everything the character’s been in but I despise the actor as a person. The movie itself is ok for the most part though.

He really elevates the movie and it shows when he explode in anger and still play the sardonic side of his Hades. Its a shame he is a shithead in real life cause its a great performance.

For what its worth, I've always thought the characters of Atlantis deserve a better movie than Atlantis.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Atlantis feels like it was more of a setup for a TV show than a movie. Ironically they were actually going to make a spinoff TV show but it got cancelled so they threw together the episode and concepts they had made into a direct to video sequel.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, too bad mini-series weren't really a thing when Atlantis was released, because it would've worked much better as a two-season series than a crammed 96 minute movie (also is it me or did it seem like every animated movie in the early 2000s tend to stop around the 90-minute mark)

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I was one of the many kids that learned about Greek mythology through Hercules and is now kinda getting it by playing Hades. I really need to watch it again.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I was one of the kids that already knew about Greek mythology and was mad they didn't reflect it accurately. Hera is the one who tried to kill Hercules, not Hades, and why didn't Hercules kill his family and then go on a journey to redeem himself??

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Is it kinda weird that they refer to Hades' purpose as "the gospel truth"??

Otherwise I'm still loving Hades. I can ignore the James Woods just because of how good the animation on him is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Realised/remembered suddenly that it makes sense the Hercules TV cartoon uses a variant of Zero to Hero as its theme song, since it takes place during the period of time the montage covers.

It also covered about as many Greek myths as they could manage in almost Asterix inspired style. The Prometheus episode is an old favourite.

ed: Rewatching that episode for old times' sakes and I didn't realise just how Jewish all these Greek deities were. I presume the eagle eating Prometheus' liver is doing an impression from before my time.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 28, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I watched a bunch of the Hercules cartoon as a kid and felt it made a decent accompaniment to the movie. It was pretty silly.

The cartoon was really funny indeed. Why did Disney ever stop with those accompanying cartoons. Aladdin and Hercules are both very enjoyable cartoon series.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Darth TNT posted:

The cartoon was really funny indeed. Why did Disney ever stop with those accompanying cartoons. Aladdin and Hercules are both very enjoyable cartoon series.

They still do them from time to time. I think Big Hero 6 and Tangled were the most recent. They've also got series for Monster Inc. and Zootopia in the works.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still chuckle to this day over how DuckTales got its start as a weird accidental spinoff from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggmVm2ljDuw

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Darth TNT posted:

Aladdin, Hercules, Emporer's New School, etc, almost all of the TV shows that were based off of movies did absolutely nothing for me. I hated how they looked, the voices not all being the same, nothing about them were funny.

The one exception for me was the Timon and Pumba cartoon, which I thought was hysterical and I enjoyed that, even though Timon's voice was clearly not the same (except for that one weird short where they sing Stand By Me)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

J-Spot posted:

They still do them from time to time. I think Big Hero 6 and Tangled were the most recent.

Tangled: The Series was absolutely better than it had any right to be.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The songs in Hercules are so, so good. Gospel was an inspired choice of genre for a movie about a God, and Go the Distance is an incredibly strong song.

Mostly, though, I just wanted to post the bit of the Magic kingdom fireworks show that uses it as the climax, because it gives me chills every time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bN5b11H4_s&t=888s

Should queue to about 14:45.

The fans at 16:15 :swoon:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 28, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Also apparently it's not over yet. I think I heard that a new season got greenlit recently.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Larryb posted:

Also apparently it's not over yet. I think I heard that a new season got greenlit recently.

Really? It ended on a pretty definitive note.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Really? It ended on a pretty definitive note.

Not sure how reliable this is but here:

https://releasedate.me/rapunzels-tangled-adventure/

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

One of these days I should watch that series.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
The Aladdin tv series inspired a lot of stuff for my dungeons and dragons campaign. The show was basically Al-Qadim: the Series, but better because it also had insect-themed steam robots and Vikings.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The Aladdin tv series inspired a lot of stuff for my dungeons and dragons campaign. The show was basically Al-Qadim: the Series, but better because it also had insect-themed steam robots and Vikings.

And sand witches!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Everyone should read some of the arabian nights. They're vivid stories and full of people being beaten up and thrown into chests due to highly improbable circumstances and misunderstandings. Better than the aladdin cartoon even!!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

paradoxGentleman posted:

One of these days I should watch that series.

Tangled? It’s actually stupid how good it is. It actually continues the story and expands on the lore and characters and world in ways that are really great and interesting. Plus Bruce Campbell plays Flynn’s dad, which is just some of the most inspired casting ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Can confirm. Finally started it up after multiple recommends from this thread and it's incredible how it's already hit it's groove on episode 1.