Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Matheson's contract is drat near endless can we have Edler for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

At least he's been a semi competent play driving forward for much of his career. Heinen is a similar offensive black hole but also a serious defence liability.

Moving a largely ineffective bottom six winger for a even less effective bottom line centre is a brutal decision. Virtanen drives me crazy but he's definitely not at the "dump for whatever we can get" level yet. If there's no upgrade on defence or depth in another area, don't trade him. He's fine and the team is not worse off with him in the lineup.

Not at $3mil a year. Heinen isn't the answer, but Virtanen needs to go.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Danton Heinen has the only thing Jim Benning cares about, games played in Boston.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

honestly i think vancouver would be better off if they got rid of benning instead of virtanen

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Hyman :)

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Having watched only like 10 minutes of the Oilers-Leafs game, the lone comment I will make is that the fact there was only 1 penalty in the entire game is super suspicious refereeing.

(also :rip: any chance the Oilers had at being 1st in the Canadian division after these 3 games)

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Leafs win! :siren: she doesn’t understand why I keep doing these

I don’t know what to make of a Leafs team that doesn’t give up multiple clear cut breakaways to Connor McDavid or blow the shutout for their goalie with minutes remaining

e: it is a travesty that the Oilers didn’t get a single PP, but they definitely took more liberties when it was obvious the refs were putting their whistles away so :shrug:

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
That might have been Toronto's most complete game of the year so far? Didn't really expect that tonight.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Seeing Spezzas classic fake slapper move work always makes my night

https://twitter.com/heresyourreplay/status/1365835882062839809?s=21

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dr Zaius posted:

That might have been Toronto's most complete game of the year so far? Didn't really expect that tonight.

I only caught bits between the Pens periods but they looked pretty damned dominant in the bits I saw.
That they're getting some of the best performances from Spezza and Thornton in a few seasons and have depth scoring going could be all it takes to get the momentum going.
Not to jinx them but when a team can start putting performances like that together consistently that's when they start to believe and once they believe then they will skate through mountains to win. It's how the Pens played in their back to back seasons once everything clicked.
I wouldn't begrudge Joe and Spezza getting the prize in this asterisk season.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

oh lol it's time for garbage montreal hockey too going to laugh when they stink and probably fall down a lot

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I only caught bits between the Pens periods but they looked pretty damned dominant in the bits I saw.
That they're getting some of the best performances from Spezza and Thornton in a few seasons and have depth scoring going could be all it takes to get the momentum going.
Not to jinx them but when a team can start putting performances like that together consistently that's when they start to believe and once they believe then they will skate through mountains to win. It's how the Pens played in their back to back seasons once everything clicked.
I wouldn't begrudge Joe and Spezza getting the prize in this asterisk season.

I’m feeling positive about the Leafs too but let’s remember they were playing Edmonton

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
And that they're the Leafs.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah for sure for sure. I just like seeing a team put on a good show and it's calvinball season so who can say what'll happen

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m feeling positive about the Leafs too but let’s remember they were playing Edmonton

They’re only playing Edmonton/Winnipeg/Montreal should be enough to carry them to the final four.

Stretch Marx posted:

And that they're the Leafs.

But this.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Leafs and Oilers both played well but the Oilers goalering wasn't great, and Jack Cambell was pretty good!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

At least he's been a semi competent play driving forward for much of his career. Heinen is a similar offensive black hole but also a serious defence liability.

Moving a largely ineffective bottom six winger for a even less effective bottom line centre is a brutal decision. Virtanen drives me crazy but he's definitely not at the "dump for whatever we can get" level yet. If there's no upgrade on defence or depth in another area, don't trade him. He's fine and the team is not worse off with him in the lineup.

Leave it to Benning to find a worse option to trade Virtanen for.

Call Your Grandma posted:

honestly i think vancouver would be better off if they got rid of benning instead of virtanen

We know.

Ownership doesn't

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The ending to that Minnesota/LA game was fun

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good soup! posted:

The ending to that Minnesota/LA game was fun

No joke. I saw that go in, but did not believe all that open ice.

Also, people should take a better look at this Kaprizov guy. He’s looking to be something pretty good.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Leafs and Oilers both played well but the Oilers goalering wasn't great, and Jack Cambell was pretty good!

It's so refreshing to have Campbell back. I wasn't dreading practically every shot anymore, like with Hutch. Very solid play.

Also would like to say I really like a lot of the jerseys in the NHL this year. Good stuff.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/JamieRivers08/status/1365889363285008387

You okay there Binnington, errrrr

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: Columbus remembered how to play defense and is no longer getting at least a point out of games where they both score and allow 5+ goals.

V: Columbus has forgotten how to score goals and is not getting at least a point out of games where they only allow 1-2 non-EN goals. :suicide:

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I appreciate the Jets OT strategy of putting 3 forwards on the ice. I don't appreciate their regular strategy of putting no defensemen on the ice.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the canucks should trade virtanen and basically everyone else. they have a mediocre core and an awful supporting cast. even if the core somehow becomes excellent the supporting cast will doom them and swapping out the supporting cast isn't gonna elevate their mediocre core

what they should do is get rid of everyone who isn't either cheap (hoglander, motte) or irreplaceable (pettersson) and wait out their pile of awful, awful contracts. eriksson, beagle, roussel, edler and holtby will all be done by the end of 2021-2022 and ferland is basically retired. maybe you can convince seattle to take myers or schmidt. at that point hope that you have a good young core of cheap and/or irreplaceable players that you can supplement by picking up a supporting cast that won't obliterate your roster flexibility again

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
wild good, dumba good, hockey good

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1365871664790142979?s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sheng_Peng/status/1365913014310825988?s=20

Zybl0re
Aug 10, 2002

I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SHIT!

oh lol it's time for garbage montreal hockey too going to laugh when they stink and probably fall down a lot

Obviously still lots of problems in Montreal, but that game was pretty fun to watch.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1366074902793449477

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It's good that Stalock is finally almost not injured anymore. I hope he gets some game time somewhere. He's just going to end up sitting 3rd choice goalie right now though with Kappo Kahkonen playing well.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Finally. Now Coach Q can never put him on the first line again.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Jhet posted:

It's good that Stalock is finally almost not injured anymore. I hope he gets some game time somewhere. He's just going to end up sitting 3rd choice goalie right now though with Kappo Kahkonen playing well.

He has to be of interest somewhere. 151 career NHL games with a 2.61 GAA and .909 SV% makes him a serviceable backup, especially in a Covid season. Ottawa would be a likely taker, although it would be a miserable playing experience for a goalie. Even Calgary, Anaheim, Buffalo, Chicago or St. Louis, maybe?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CocoaNuts posted:

He has to be of interest somewhere. 151 career NHL games with a 2.61 GAA and .909 SV% makes him a serviceable backup, especially in a Covid season. Ottawa would be a likely taker, although it would be a miserable playing experience for a goalie. Even Calgary, Anaheim, Buffalo, Chicago or St. Louis, maybe?

Yeah, and he doesn't complain about not playing first fiddle. With all the suspect goal tending this year, I can see someone picking him up before he clears. Not that I want to lose him to anywhere, but he's not going to get any ice time if he stays and I'd like to see him get some games. Except for Ottawa and Buffalo. I wouldn't wish that on any goalie this year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CocoaNuts posted:

St Louis could really use a better backup goalie. Husso wasn’t quite ready.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

If I could trade Benning and Aquilini for a bag of pucks, with Pettersson as a sweetener, I'd do it.

uh, conditional on not getting Chiarelli or whatever dumbfuck old boys club GM back.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pungry posted:

Finally. Now Coach Q can never put him on the first line again.

Until nobody claims him.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Ralph Kreuger cannot possibly have a job for much longer.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers with B2B shutouts of the Sabres

I think Buffalo is quite bad

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is it too early to try and get the jump on the Kraken getting Bruce Boudreau or Gerard Gallant? Asking for a friend.

e- That friend is Jarmo, not Kevyn Adams, for what it's worth.

e2- https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1366154779848761344

Don't worry, Central. The Preds will stop getting wins again soon enough.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 28, 2021

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm still thinking Gallant has a deal with the Red Wings after they tank this year with Blashill. They've gotta be looking to turn the corner in a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
What happened to Connolly? I thought he continued being good last year.

In other news, though Samsonov won, he let in a couple softies. I think the Caps will have to ride Vanecek through the season. Hopefully no more Craig Anderson at least.