Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

I feel bad because I saw your post and I meant to go over some things with you, as your experience always seemed off. I’m glad you got to the bottom of it.

I appreciate it anyway. Was that what you were going to tell me to do? Honestly I have no idea how people are supposed to find that or why it's so hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Essentially what you found out (after ensuring a true 24p signal making its way to the TV), I have an older OLED than yours but that 2-option menu is the key really. I'm pretty sure I have mine on 0/0 because I just couldn't deal with anything on either being run but I'd have to check.. I use the two fully programmable modes for my viewing, one for HDR content and one for SDR. The main thing I have on for the HDR is a touch of dynamic contrast as - even though as a caveat I don't like seeing it shift as it adapts - it does provide a better picture for me.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even know setting it to 0 would do anything. I'm gonna try that. Thanks so much! 🍻

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Refurbished with a 90 day warranty. $1399 new.

That said if you're willing to roll the dice it looks like they have the 77" for $2499 as well https://www.microcenter.com/product...c---refurbished

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/25/google-tvs-new-basic-mode-will-offer-a-dumb-barebones-experience/

quote:

Google's latest Chromecast was announced last year and heralded the eventual transition of Android TV to Google TV. But unlike custom skins, this new interface — with features like the Live tab and better Assistant integration — is also being made available to third-party TV manufacturers like Sony and TCL. We're now learning that these sets will also ship with a Basic TV mode that strips them of their smartness.

Spotted by 9to5Google on an ADT-3 dongle, the new mode will be available as an option during the initial setup process on televisions that ship with Google TV. The Basic TV mode only offers Live TV and support for external devices while taking away just about everything else that Google TV offers, including the ability to cast content.

As you'd expect, the homescreen in this mode is pretty...basic. There's a dedicated button for Dashboard, and there will presumably also be buttons to quickly access live TV and HDMI inputs. The screenshot below doesn't show these buttons since the ADT-3 lacks the inputs needed to trigger these UI elements.

Perhaps the good news is that it won't be too difficult to switch to the smart experience if users wish to do so. There's a permanent banner on the homescreen and a prominent notice in the settings menu that will allow users to quickly flip over to the smart side of things. However, users wanting to switch from Google TV to Basic TV look like they'll have to perform a full reset.

Google says that the new mode was designed keeping in mind users who lack internet access. This may satisfy the needs of those who may prefer the simplicity of a dumb TV. Get out those rabbit ears!

Amazon Music is no longer exclusive to the nVidia Shield, it's now available to all Android/Google TV units:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/02/25/amazon-music-is-now-available-on-all-android-tv-and-google-tv-sets/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 25, 2021

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd love the dumb tv experience but all my Sony's settings seem deeply wrapped up in Android biz.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wolrah posted:

That said if you're willing to roll the dice it looks like they have the 77" for $2499 as well https://www.microcenter.com/product...c---refurbished
Oh gently caress me that is tempting.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

"Things with OLED screens" are on a short list of things I personally try to avoid purchasing second-hand or with a short warranty.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VectorSigma posted:

"Things with OLED screens" are on a short list of things I personally try to avoid purchasing second-hand or with a short warranty.
Yeah likewise, I'm sure the bathtub curve would most likely still work out with 90 days, but that's more money than I'd be willing to bet on it.

Now if I had one of those credit cards that adds its own warranty, well I'd be watching my new 77" TV right now...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you've got an extra 400 grand lying around you can install a 165 inch micro LED in the floor of your ultramodern coastal villa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSfNzsY0LSU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
How much for the non-foldable version?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just got a new 4K TV and upgraded my streaming services to allow 4k content. However, my AV receiver is now a bottleneck, only supporting 60hz at 4K.

If I bypass my AV receiver by connecting my devices to the TV directly, and stream using the TV's smart TV apps, then use the AV receiver just to output sound to my speakers, will this solve my problem? I would rather not buy a new AV receiver if I don't have to.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not sure of the problem? Are you concerned about gaming? If so it would be insane to go buy a new receiver. They can write 4K120hz on the box all they like, these new consoles will not be outputting those kind of frame rates at those resolutions unless its 16 bit indie games

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 27, 2021

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

codo27 posted:

I'm not sure of the problem? Are you concerned about gaming?

Gaming, watching Netflix in 4K. I have a Chromecast that is plugged into my AV Receiver, and I switched my receiver to 4K mode, but the specs on Yamaha's website say that it can only do 60hz. My TV does 120Hz. So I think I should stop using the receiver for video and have it just route audio from the TV to the speakers

Oh and yeah really good point about gaming. Mostly I PC game though; primarily I want my 4K Netflix nature documentaries to be as good as possible!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

blue squares posted:

So I think I should stop using the receiver for video and have it just route audio from the TV to the speakers

No, the sources are not in 120hz even if you have a 120hz TV. Nearly everything out there is 24fps. 120hz TV just means that you can display it at an even cadence (repeat each frame 5 times). Sources will either send stuff to the TV as 4k24hz or 4k60hz (with 3:2 pulldown.)

Only games have the potential to exceed 60hz and that's not very common at 4k yet.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

No, the sources are not in 120hz even if you have a 120hz TV. Nearly everything out there is 24fps. 120hz TV just means that you can display it at an even cadence (repeat each frame 5 times). Sources will either send stuff to the TV as 4k24hz or 4k60hz (with 3:2 pulldown.)

Only games have the potential to exceed 60hz and that's not very common at 4k yet.

So what is the point of a receiver that can put out 120Hz 4K video?

edit:
There is no benefit to plugging my Chromecast directly into my TV so that it doesn't pass through the 60Hz outputting receiver?

Maybe I need to go to Google and do some reading on what refresh rates really mean, since I am confused

edit2: I found this info and it helps
"While a 120Hz TV doesn't inherently produce better motion, it can provide a few advantages over standard 60Hz TVs. One of the most important advantages is the ability to play back content that is meant to be displayed at 24 fps, which is often found in movies. Most TVs can simply lower their own refresh rate to 24Hz when the content is 24 fps, but some sources, such as Chromecast, output video at 60 fps, even if the content is 24 fps. This means that the TV's refresh rate remains at 60Hz, and motion won't appear smooth, which is an effect called judder. A 60Hz TV has trouble removing 24 fps judder because 60 isn't a multiple of 24. To display this type of content, a technique known as a "3:2 pulldown" is used. Basically, 12 of the 24 frames repeat three times, while the other 12 repeat twice, totaling 60 frames. Not everybody notices this, but it causes some scenes, notably panning shots, to appear juddery. However, 120Hz TVs have an advantage here because they can simply display each frame five times since 120 is a multiple of 24."

Now I just need to confirm that my receiver is indeed in 4K mode. I changed the setting, but when I played my first video (for only a couple minutes) I wasn't 100% sure.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 27, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There isn't.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

blue squares posted:

So what is the point of a receiver that can put out 120Hz 4K video?

Gaming.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks! That's good to know. I won't be doing a ton of gaming on that TV

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

codo27 posted:

I'm not sure of the problem? Are you concerned about gaming? If so it would be insane to go buy a new receiver. They can write 4K120hz on the box all they like, these new consoles will not be outputting those kind of frame rates at those resolutions unless its 16 bit indie games

Rainbow Six Siege is my most played game and is 4k/120. But yeah 99% of people won't miss anything at 60

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

One month elapsed with my new CX, and the spectacle has begun to wear off. Not because it is no longer spectacular, but because I have become hyper-normalized. This is just how it's supposed to be now. This is the new baseline. Even the best LCDs are dogshit next to this. Sure, that QLED or whatever might look it can hang if you see it under bright store lighting, but throw a starfield on that bitch in a dimly lit room and you get to see what it looks like to be an astronaut with cataracts.

In other news, I thought I fixed my sync issue, but it seems not. Extensive testing has revealed that when ALLM is activated, real-time audio (games, etc) lags behind the picture by ~120ms with Atmos enabled, ~60ms without. Optical output from the TV inherits the base 60ms. Is this just some ALLM fuckup where the audio signal isn't switching to low latency mode? If I try it without ALLM, it matches up perfect, but of course there's input lag which is way worse. I did solve the issue by just keeping the TV out of the loop for PC gaming audio, but that results in having to actually push a button to change inputs on my soundbar like a goddamn caveman.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I played CoD for like 2 months at 120hz then had to try to play it at 60hz and it was unplayable after playing 120hz. It's a massive game changer for gaming.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I finally ordered bias lighting, curious to see how it works out.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I was going to get a TV and soundbar together but my current speakers are dying and need replacement now. At ~$300-ish or less what would be my options?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wandler20 posted:

I played CoD for like 2 months at 120hz then had to try to play it at 60hz and it was unplayable after playing 120hz. It's a massive game changer for gaming.

The people who say 60Hz video games are fine are people who haven't gone higher or aren't able to.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

qirex posted:

I finally ordered bias lighting, curious to see how it works out.

Static, or dynamic? Govee has been doing sponsored ads on Androidpolice for their dynamic option, and even their own ad video showed severe latency.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Static, or dynamic? Govee has been doing sponsored ads on Androidpolice for their dynamic option, and even their own ad video showed severe latency.

Boring old 6500K, Medialight had a 20% off coupon last week.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Last year I went OLED (specifically a LG 65CX) and right afterwards I stopped watching DS9 after making it through the first two seasons because I was uncertain about burn-in. Five more seasons of DS9 is a lot of hours of pillarboxed TV - if I do watch all of that is it likely to cause any permanent overbright areas on the TV or whatever is classed as burn-in these days?

Also, not sure if this is the right thread for it, but is there a way I can capture 4K movie screenshots on it? My player is a PS5 and I know most discs have copy protection to prevent you from trying to do this very thing, but would something like an Elgato capture card passing through to my PC let me take shots with streaming software like OBS?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Black bar content will not cause any noticable differential aging.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bull3964 posted:

Black bar content will not cause any noticable differential aging.
I think the poster is worried that the center 4:3 area will be dimmer since those oleds were working while the pillarboxed sides were 'off'

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

I think the poster is worried that the center 4:3 area will be dimmer since those oleds were working while the pillarboxed sides were 'off'

Right, that's what I addressed. It's not a problem.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 1, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah, that's how I thought it worked with OLEDs. And thanks for the answer!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And this is based on testing. Here's what rtings found in the B6 which has next to no aging mitigation.

quote:

Black letterbox bars have been displayed for almost 5,000 hours (equivalent to 208 days of continuous letterboxing). Some letterboxing is starting to become noticeable on full-screen slides, but not in normal content. As a result, we don't expect letterbox bars to cause any issues for people.

So you could watch DS9 through 37 times before you might see something on slides.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 1, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My B6 that has watched 1000 hours of ESPN and now has a brighter bottom strip begs to differ.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

American McGay posted:

My B6 that has watched 1000 hours of ESPN and now has a brighter bottom strip begs to differ.

I think issues from displaying the same image too long would be different from issues from displaying black bars for too long though?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

qirex posted:

Boring old 6500K, Medialight had a 20% off coupon last week.

This is cool, I wasn't aware of bias lighting before this post. Think I might have to buy the 6500K system too, even without a coupon it's really reasonably priced.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You can probably get them on Amazon for cheaper, most bias lighting is literally just a few pre-wired LED strips with a power supply and remote

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You can probably get them on Amazon for cheaper, most bias lighting is literally just a few pre-wired LED strips with a power supply and remote

This but also you're still going to want true 6500k if you can - and while you can get them cheaper on Amazon, they aren't quite as cheap as the "just for fun" ones. This is one I have and it's great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788Z13K2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonoMan posted:

This but also you're still going to want true 6500k if you can - and while you can get them cheaper on Amazon, they aren't quite as cheap as the "just for fun" ones. This is one I have and it's great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788Z13K2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BonoMan posted:

That is true, the cheapo hobby ones tend to be all over the place even if they have a stated color temperature.