Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Homora Gaykemi posted:

It was a bumper week in the trans ire mine for the Arse last week

And then there's some more of it in today's letters

I think I mentioned recently that I once had a friend who went down the "trans acceptance is erasure of women" hole and I'll never understand it.

You know someone who seems intelligent, understanding and open-minded, then they find that onc thing that turns them into this incredibly hateful and intolerant person like a switch got thrown in their brain.

Racism, sexism, and even homosexuality have been fought and "won"* in that you will very likely be called out on your bullshit if you try it. But hating on transgender people is the new hotness and you can do it while pretending to be woke :sigh:

But bigots have always done it like that, haven't they? It's incredibly rare to see someone say they hate gay people just because they think it's icky and wigs them out. It's always "natural order" "tradition" and blah blah blah.

Now it's "two genders at birth" "erasure of women" "standing up for my identity" and oh my god shut the gently caress up and leave people alone!

* Caveats apply!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I think I mentioned recently that I once had a friend who went down the "trans acceptance is erasure of women" hole and I'll never understand it.

You know someone who seems intelligent, understanding and open-minded, then they find that onc thing that turns them into this incredibly hateful and intolerant person like a switch got thrown in their brain.

Racism, sexism, and even homosexuality have been fought and "won"* in that you will very likely be called out on your bullshit if you try it. But hating on transgender people is the new hotness and you can do it while pretending to be woke :sigh:

But bigots have always done it like that, haven't they? It's incredibly rare to see someone say they hate gay people just because they think it's icky and wigs them out. It's always "natural order" "tradition" and blah blah blah.

Now it's "two genders at birth" "erasure of women" "standing up for my identity" and oh my god shut the gently caress up and leave people alone!

* Caveats apply!

See, I don't think it's necessarily pretending to be woke. After all, they are called TERFs: Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists. Their feminist beliefs inform their transphobic beliefs, though I feel like most people think it's the other way around. To give a recent example, I think I can understand why a feminist who was in the middle of the second wave would react negatively to the term 'birthing parent' rather than 'mother.' Reduction to a biological function and relation rather than a well-established term with history (and baggage), removal of the feminine in favour of a neutral term... I mean, if you fought for or were close to the fight for things like reproductive rights in the '60s and '70s, I can see where people would feel alienated. (One problem: I think on average TERFs are in their 30s and 40s, so they're still a generation away from even that.)

It's still a stupid thing to argue about, it's just changing up some formal language, there's no secret trans police force-feeding estradiol to doctors who say 'mother' outside of those very specific formal procedures. But I look at that and just see a field in a form being changed, lacking the delusions of erasure that comes from being a TERF.

It makes the problem much worse, though, because how do you stop them from believing this stupid poo poo? They honestly think they're doing the right thing, and you'll have trouble convincing them otherwise because you're asking them to compromise on a moral touchstone. It's one trend that really makes me worried about the future of progressive politics: people are going to accept all kinds of reactionary, regressive ideas while honestly, genuinely believing it all exists in a moral framework that makes it near-impossible to argue against. Not just TERFs, but also anti-fascism in America will likely be used to expand the security state domestically and justify intervention abroad, and the defense contractors who will implement all this are going to use things like how many marginalised people they hire as shields and standards.

freebooter posted:

Unhinged rusted-on ALP partisans who are usually also boomers and therefore have a dim grasp of how Twitter actually works, i.e. they love hashtags. This is the only write-up on them I've seen outside of Twitter itself:

https://medium.com/@catherinebouris/raindrops-keep-falling-on-my-head-5e8a0af63b5

I find them genuinely fascinating because they're the only time I encounter conspiracy theories in Australia that emanate from the left (or the "left" - they're Labor devotees based on tribalism more than anything else) rather than the right. For example around Christmas it was being put forth that NSW Health was deliberately concealing positive COVID cases at the behest of Berejiklian.

Thanks for this. They remind me a little of the K-Hive, just without the devotion to a single politician.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Solemn Sloth posted:

The tear is cum

barnaby nutted

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

freebooter posted:

Twitter teardrops think they've Cracked The Case, one of them inserts what they think is pertinent information into Porter's Wikipedia article, Wikipedia editors remove it because they don't think being on the uni debating squad is relevant to his life and career, teardrops seize upon this as a self-fulfilling conspiracy theory.

seems like it could be increasingly relevant as we find out more about the allegations, but it’s good of you to run the LNP line here and stop this becoming an echo chamber

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
The LNP line of lolling at deranged wiki edit wars

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I have made one edit to wikipedia ever.

It was to add 3 whales to casualty list of the Falklands war. Complete with source and citation.

My edit was reverted with only the comment "no".

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Add it back in 10 years later with 'whale lives matter'

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Can someone explain this to me:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-01/why-interest-rates-are-soaring-and-what-it-means-for-you/13201602

quote:

In the past fortnight, and especially last week, global money markets have cratered and interest rates have soared. For many, it's a shrug-your-shoulders incident, an obscure and esoteric event that has little bearing on everyday life.

The health crisis caused by COVID-19 was a once-in-a-century event. The financial cost of 2020 has been millions of jobs, countless businesses, and soaring debt and deficits.

Except it isn't. What has just occurred could have a profound impact on our future. It has the potential to delay and possibly derail the economic recovery now underway across the developed world. And, if it continues, it will wreak havoc with global stock markets during the next few months.

It also is a direct assault on the power and authority of central banks, including our own Reserve Bank. For the past year, across the globe, they've acted in unison, throwing everything at their disposal at an unseen enemy in a desperate effort to stave off the most serious economic collapse in more than a century.

Suddenly, they've been left bruised and bloodied, run down by a growing mob that has flagrantly ignored their predictions and overturned their view of the world and our future.

The Money Markets are all betting that inflation will go up. Central banks are spending taxpayers money on it not. And Wages Will Not Go Up Because That's Government Policy. So inflation hasn't happened, isn't happening and won't happen.

So who exactly is wrong here? I need someone to explain this too me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sierra Madre posted:

See, I don't think it's necessarily pretending to be woke. After all, they are called TERFs: Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists. Their feminist beliefs inform their transphobic beliefs, though I feel like most people think it's the other way around.

You are absolutely right.

I segued into how generic bigots use the language of inclusion to push their agenda without realising it there. The end result's the same, but they are coming from different head spaces.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 1, 2021

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Comstar posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-01/why-interest-rates-are-soaring-and-what-it-means-for-you/13201602

The Money Markets are all betting that inflation will go up. Central banks are spending taxpayers money on it not. And Wages Will Not Go Up Because That's Government Policy. So inflation hasn't happened, isn't happening and won't happen.

I thought the general idea is that large govt spending (pandemic stimulus) creates inflation so the central bank tries to slow down the economy to prevent this by raising interest rates. The article seems to say that interest rates are increasing independent of the reserve bank, I don't really get how that works. If we get inflation we need wage increases cos our wages buy less.

I wanted to buy a house this year and the promise of rising interest rates and house prices shooting up at record levels right now is pretty cool

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Probably tons of shitheads went to Sydney in 1988 for the bicentenary?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Comstar posted:

The gist as I understand it is that for a while now, the trading houses that help fund government and commercial debt buy buying bonds/bills that pay a certain amount (the yield) have been willing to accept ultra low yields because inflation isn’t really happening. So they might part with their money for a given time for a yield return of 0.8% if inflation is at 0.5%.

The traders, seeing a US$1.9tn stimulus package, think this will cause inflation to rise and will no longer accept the central banks offering super low yields on bonds. They’re now only buying bonds that pay more, which will make interest rates rise because the cost of banks’ (commercial and central) funding has increased.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Watching Australian Story as background noise waiting for 4 Corners and what the gently caress lmao.

"My dad was gay. He was a gay man."

"Mum used to joke about saving dad from being gay."

"I don't understand how my gay dad married my mum."

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

dad gay, so what

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

EoinCannon posted:

If we get inflation we need wage increases cos our wages buy less.

But we know we won't get increases in wages. They know we won't get increases in wages because they spent 20 years stopping us getting increases in wages. Inflation is not happening except in assets (housing) and capital gains. And they continue and do everything in their power to stop any increases in wages.

..so I don't understand why they are betting money that inflation will happen and wages will increase.

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

freebooter posted:

I find them genuinely fascinating because they're the only time I encounter conspiracy theories in Australia that emanate from the left (or the "left" - they're Labor devotees based on tribalism more than anything else) rather than the right.

Have you spent any time around right-wing Australians at all? Liberal branches are pretty much up to their ears in *actual* Qanonites.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

seems like it could be increasingly relevant as we find out more about the allegations, but it’s good of you to run the LNP line here and stop this becoming an echo chamber

Thanks for letting me know I can put you on the mute list

TheLoneAmigo posted:

Have you spent any time around right-wing Australians at all? Liberal branches are pretty much up to their ears in *actual* Qanonites.

Yes, they are dime a dozen, that's why I find the left-wing conspiracy types interesting

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Comstar posted:

But we know we won't get increases in wages. They know we won't get increases in wages because they spent 20 years stopping us getting increases in wages. Inflation is not happening except in assets (housing) and capital gains. And they continue and do everything in their power to stop any increases in wages.

..so I don't understand why they are betting money that inflation will happen and wages will increase.

I understand you mainly want to rail against the lack of wage increases but they are not betting that wages will increase (although that may be likely in places like China, Africa, South America and SE Asia where there is a strengthening demand for quality of life improvements relative to the rest of the world), they (groups like Black Rock which has $8.7USD trillion under management) are betting that inflation is going to increase over the next 10 years beyond the <1% that the various central banks have been selling bonds at.

Considering we just went a year where productivity had to have been impacted by lockdowns and the like and that the world population still increased and that the desires of the aforementioned countries for improved standards of living probably didn't go away and that governments around the world are printing or tipping in huge money to try and keep economies going, it implies that there will be less goods and services around for an increasing demand. Even just from a risk point of view I can understand why investment houses would not want to lock in hundreds of billions of dollars in investment for 10 years at rates of 0.8%. Maybe they have assessed that they are better off writing off a year of returns (ie, give up on 0.8 c in the dollar return for a year) and invest when the yield offers price in the inflation risk.

Those that really want to sell bonds now can still get them but need to pay more than the central government headline rate and hence the topic of the article.

TLDR, the private sector buying of debt is now dominating the prices instead of the official central bank rates as had been the case for quite some time and that is putting upward pressure on interest rate overall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 'feminist' part of TERF eventually becomes pure branding and falls away, since they have to align with fascists.

freebooter posted:

Yes, they are dime a dozen, that's why I find the left-wing conspiracy types interesting

That's fair, but I really couldn't call ALP partisans meaningfully 'left-wing' in any imaginable sense, especially now the party itself seems to be a UK tier non-entity.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Comstar posted:

They’re thinking they can jack prices up without wages increasing because gently caress the plebs.

Slightly more charitably they could be thinking that spare employment capacity can be used to help inflation, again without increasing wages

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Comstar posted:

The government thinks it can control these things but it's like writing a law that bans cyclones, unless they want to cut off all contact with the outside world and completely control everyone's spending.
Wages never go up until they do because no one can buy anything and inflation won't go up until it does and house prices will keep rising until they don't etc etc...

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

So ScoMo has had a word with the Cabinet Minister accused of rape, (Porter?), and he says he didn't do it. Indeed he vigourously denies it.

So that's that all over and done with then eh? How good's coal?

gently caress all of these rape facillitating fuckwits. And especially gently caress them for their lack of anything resembling sympathy, empathy or support for the victims.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Animal Friend posted:

Watching Australian Story as background noise waiting for 4 Corners and what the gently caress lmao.

"My dad was gay. He was a gay man."

"Mum used to joke about saving dad from being gay."

"I don't understand how my gay dad married my mum."

:same: but my mom

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

So ScoMo has had a word with the Cabinet Minister accused of rape, (Porter?), and he says he didn't do it. Indeed he vigourously denies it.

So that's that all over and done with then eh? How good's coal?

gently caress all of these rape facillitating fuckwits. And especially gently caress them for their lack of anything resembling sympathy, empathy or support for the victims.

https://twitter.com/shanebazzi/status/1366266339766136832?s=21

good bunch of blokes in gov eh?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Apparently Turnbull speculated on radio this morning it wasn't a suicide???

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

freebooter posted:

Apparently Turnbull speculated on radio this morning it wasn't a suicide???
he’s gone full conspiracy nut

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't believe (I mean I can but you know) that Morrison didn't even loving read the letter.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Re the markets, I don't think anyone really knows what's going on anymore, other than that government (and rba) is going to do it's damnest to continue the asset price pump, and that seems to necessitate keeping interest rates low. Anything else is political suicide (at least for now). People's fortunes, whether those are in real estate, shares, superannuation etc, are tied to keeping asset prices high.

Is this creating inequalities? Probably. Dunno what you do if you want to, say, buy a house. Credit is cheap now, but houses are incredibly expensive. What happens if interest rates rise over the course of your mortgage? Nah don't think about it.

In other news the aged care RC report is even more hosed up than expected. The commissioners don't see eye to eye on numerous potential reforms or recommendations either, which is probably going to hamstring whatever skerrick of appetite for reform even exists at this point. If you have some spare time you really ought to read it, it is truly revolting.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Buck Turgidson posted:

In other news the aged care RC report is even more hosed up than expected. The commissioners don't see eye to eye on numerous potential reforms or recommendations either, which is probably going to hamstring whatever skerrick of appetite for reform even exists at this point. If you have some spare time you really ought to read it, it is truly revolting.

my work involves providing support and training to aged care providers. we've been reading through it this morning and yeah it's all over the loving place. recommendations on things like "train up your staff", gee, wow, glad we had a commission for this!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't believe (I mean I can but you know) that Morrison didn't even loving read the letter.

If you don't read the letter, then *officially* you were never informed of anything in the letter.

So if you are informed by the media, or someone else who did read the letter, then you can technically claim that anything in the letter is third hand information and heresay, so you can immediately disregard it.

It's a weasally cunty move.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2021/03/02/christian-porter-stand-aside-after-allegedly-cartier-watches/

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A Liberal MP that “absolutely rejects” a claim he raped a teenage girl in the 1980s is said to be doing “not good”.

That’s according to people close to him that have spoken to The West Australian.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Jesus Christ, they've already started developing the True Crime Drama about the ponzi scheme lady whose currently washing up on various beaches

https://tvtonight.com.au/2021/03/nine-confirms-crime-drama-on-melissa-caddick.html

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/cporterwa/status/1168745645869387783

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Prince Phillip going to die?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

We all are eventually

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nah they'll just make a new skin suit for him.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

what is dead may never die.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Letter to the Arse posted:

In the 1970s and 80s, I thoroughly enjoyed being a pregnant woman, giving birth and breastfeeding. I now realise how selfish and discriminating I was. To make up for this, I would now like to make two previously female-only functions available to everyone. These are menstruation and menopause. You will notice that no name changes will be necessary. Enjoy!

these people seriously have no idea what they're complaining about lmao. like yeah, trans men definitely have no experience with menstruation, i'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Be a real shame if he goes at 99, he'll miss out on his telegram from the Queen.