Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes agreed that's what we just said they should do. :v: But if you're calling on the old GW faction of "Nippon" you're gonna be walking through a minefield.

Why? It's an older reading of the name of Japan in Japanese. It's shifted to Nihon now but Nippon is not just a racist mispronunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That's a heckin big oof there

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zaphod42 posted:

You're really going to respond to "they should probably avoid the racist stuff" with "I have never seen a more wrong opinion" ???? Yikes. Major yikes.

You're either intentionally misreading the post you're responding to or you're defending racism.

British people clowning on other white people isn't the same, jesus christ.

I was not trying to defend racism, I was pointing out that "avoiding the racist stuff" does not require you to not include Ind or Nippon, admittedly a better name for Ind should probably be found. But there's literally nothing wrong with Nippon as a name, it's what Okami uses and Okami is made by japanese people about japanese mythology (it's also extremely cool and good and has the best dog god).

I'm not going to say that the old portrayal of these places was okay, I am going to say that throwing the baby out with the bathwater (which is what Age of Sigmar did) being a good thing is a very wrong opinion, which maybe I didn't explain well enough.

Speaking as a Scotsman and a Welshman, I actually do have an issue if the British do poo poo portrayals of all the various cultures and peoples they screwed over in their long imperial history, I don't see Nippon (and whatever better name for Ind they come up with) having to reflect that.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 2, 2021

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Nippon, Araby and Ind i admit are on the lazy uninspired end of a spectrum of names but Cathay is kind of fine? So it doesnt take much really.

I think people will accept any implementation of these factions as long as its not a lazy hack job.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

toasterwarrior posted:

Is the point of contention that "Nippon" is racist because Nippon is quite literally one of the names used to refer to Japan by the Japanese in some point of their history

Just read this: https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Nippon

Eimi posted:

Why? It's an older reading of the name of Japan in Japanese. It's shifted to Nihon now but Nippon is not just a racist mispronunciation.

No but the GW lore about it is all classic Japanese stereotypes. Just doesn't seem like a great thing to start with. And all y'all freaking out and defending "this is the worst take I've ever seen" is ... bad. Why are you all frothing at the mouth to attack someone just being concerned about racism? Not healthy. At all. Even if you think it isn't racist, someone being concerned about racism shouldn't be something that drives you into a rage.

Its not like myself or maev actually has power to change the game, we're just discussing things on a game forum.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cathay is just as lazy and it'd be the only one you could call racist, because it's the old timey European name for China, entirely unconnected to what anyone from that region would've called their homeland. :v:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

there's only one poster frothing at the mouth here lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think it's fine to lean into stereotypes in a game like Warhammer, as long as they are fantasy stereotypes and not racial ones. The Aztec dinosaurs get a pass because there is no long standing tradition of portraying Mayans or Mexicans as lizards, for instance.

Eimi posted:

Cathay is just as lazy and it'd be the only one you could call racist, because it's the old timey European name for China, entirely unconnected to what anyone from that region would've called their homeland. :v:

It's derived from "Qara Khitai", a steppe nomadic empire that occupied northern China during the middle ages, so not entirely unconnected.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 2, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yes zaphod, clearly CA intends to copy the old lore wholesale and not change it in any way, and that's why Fimir are still rapists in the vein of Goblin Slayer

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

toasterwarrior posted:

Is the point of contention that "Nippon" is racist because Nippon is quite literally one of the names used to refer to Japan by the Japanese in some point of their history

I think it's because there's difficulty seeing a difference between a caricature of a culture in fiction and making fun of the predominant ethnicity of a culture, since racist whites have been doing that since forever to establish non-white people as "others" or just for cheap bigoted laughs

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

jokes posted:

I think it's because there's difficulty seeing a difference between a caricature of a culture in fiction and making fun of the predominant ethnicity of a culture, since racist whites have been doing that since forever to establish non-white people as "others" or just for cheap bigoted laughs

Nobody's saying they should include Nippon as a joke.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Ah, Zaphod again

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sinteres posted:

Nobody's saying they should include Nippon as a joke.

And nobody said they shouldn't change what's there to something else!

I literally said they should do that and you're acting like I've said they can't do anything to the East as a result.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They shouldn't turn Nippon/Ind/Cathay into jokes, because the only 'joke' caricature are the greenskins. They are all, however, caricatures of real-world cultures

Much like every faction in Warhammer lol

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

CA is absolutely going to make a full faction based exactly on early 80s gw fluff lmao

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I do, however, propose they add humans to Albion that are designed to get bodied instantly by Nakai as a joke

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Gentlemen. You can't fight here. This is the Total War: Warhammer thread!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zaphod42 posted:

You're really going to respond to "they should probably avoid the racist stuff" with "I have never seen a more wrong opinion" ???? Yikes. Major yikes.

You're either intentionally misreading the post you're responding to or you're defending racism.

British people clowning on other white people isn't the same, jesus christ.

How is it racist to include armies based on india and japan? Or is Nippon referring to something racis I dont know about

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The entire reason we want to see Ind and Nippon is because in universe all we are really rumors about what they are like. That can easily change/be corrected when they become real full factions and get actual lore. The lore is set up to be easily changed since nothing is 'official' canon, just someone's best guess in universe.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

albany academy posted:

CA is absolutely going to make a full faction based exactly on early 80s gw fluff lmao

Yeah lol clearly GW worldbuilding peaked in the early 80s lol

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

Gentlemen. You can't fight here. This is the Total War: Warhammer thread!

:orks:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

How is it racist to include armies based on india and japan? Or is Nippon referring to something racis I dont know about

Its stuff GW wrote in the 80s and decided was icky so they dropped it and haven't touched it since.

Seriously just read this stuff:
https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Nippon

Its better to just invent new factions for that region than draw on those old stereotypes. That's all. That seems reasonable to me, but a bunch of goons are shouting me down now and going "AH ZAPHOD" because concerns over racist depictions apparently deserves mockery on SA.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

GW: CA you can include nippon :)
CA: hell yes going to appeal to new demographics and make us both a lot of money!
GW: well, actually

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Its stuff GW wrote in the 80s and decided was icky so they dropped it and haven't touched it since.

Seriously just read this stuff:
https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Nippon

Its better to just invent new factions for that region than draw on those old stereotypes. That's all. That seems reasonable to me, but a bunch of goons are shouting me down now and going "AH ZAPHOD" because concerns over racist depictions apparently deserves mockery on SA.

Or they could use the names and ignore the lovely old lore and thus have their cake and eat it too? Like no-one is asking for the lovely old lore stuff, they're asking for the names to have actually good lore to them because there's nothing wrong with the names (again Ind could probably get a different better name, as could Araby, Nippon is fine though and something I've pointed out Japanese developers actually did for a fantastical take on ancient Japan).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

They absolutely won't use the word Oriental or have kamikaze units if they do include Nippon, so I don't think you have to worry.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Or they could use the names and ignore the lovely old lore and thus have their cake and eat it too?

The names? Like naming Japan-land "Japan" ? (The Lizardmen aren't called Aztecs)

Or names like these

quote:

Sanyo Kawasaki - The tale of Sanyo Kawasaki is typical of those stories honoured so much by the Samurai cast of Nippon. Kawasaki was bitterly opposed to the government of his country, which he regarded as weak and liberal. Matters were brought to a head when a foreign ship was seen off the western coast, and the lazy authorities made no attempt to sink it. Such a lost opportunity to cause mayhem and destruction was anathema to the true Samurai, and caused widespread disgust. Sanyo Kawasaki assembled an army and laid siege to the capital. The siege was not a success, however, and Kawasaki committed ritual suicide as a gesture of disdain. This he achieved by the celebrated manner of standing on his head in a bucket of cold water. Sanyo wore plate armour and fought with the magic sword Toyota.[1a]

Nissan - Sanyo Kawasaki's most trusted rice-bowl bearer. During the siege of the Nipponese capital, he led 9 Samurai with plate armour, swords and long bows.[1a]

Honda Susuki - Another companion of Sanyo Kawasaki during his siege of the Nipponese capital, he was a mighty hero who freed the Vim-to monks of Asigawa from the domination of their repressive lord. Those 15 Vim-toists now followed him in his travels, offering him mystic advice and religious solace and beating up anyone who didn't show him the proper respect. He had plate armour and a magic sword.[1a]

Like, comeon. It shouldn't be so radical to say that there's not much to draw on there and they need to invent a whole new faction. Why are y'all making such a big deal out of this!

Sinteres posted:

They absolutely won't use the word Oriental or have kamikaze units if they do include Nippon, so I don't think you have to worry.

That's all there is to GW Nippon though. What else is there? Why is it such a big deal to just do something wholly new? What are you so afraid of throwing away if you agree the Kamikaze units are bad?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sinteres posted:

No you don't understand, Zaphod is the arbitrator on all things videogames

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Steam rolling Malekith with my legendary lord Honda Suzuki.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

CA had never invented stuff from whole cloth. Nope. Sanyo Kawasaki is in the old fluff that GW admittedly pretends doesnt exist. Guess their hands are tied. Hope his red line skills are good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Listen I know the Tories are in power for at least half a decade but I'm sure CA and GW won't be legally mandated to be as racist as possible in their new take on this hypothetical addition

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Sighing as I look at the lord pool. "Honda Camry." CA has really outdone themselves with this one.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One thing I absolutely do believe is that GW considers TW3 to be good advertising for Old World. We've already seen a couple of the new Kislev units from the trailer in the promotional materials for Kislev in Old World, and I'd imagine that anything else new we see in TW3 is liable to be in Old World.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ah yes terrible joke reference are never a thing. My good friend Kroq-Gar riding Grimlock or his buddy Tiktaq'to or the most feared ork warboss Mag Uruk Thraka. No place for that indeed. Or you know the evil necromancer Heinrich Kemmler.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

That's all there is to GW Nippon though. What else is there? Why is it such a big deal to just do something wholly new? What are you so afraid of throwing away if you agree the Kamikaze units are bad?

Approximately zero Japanese people will ever have a problem with not-Japan being named Nippon and having samurai, sorry. Like I think there's so little lore there, and what is there is so old that yeah obviously it's going to need a major rework if it gets in the game at all (which I don't even think is overwhelmingly likely in the first place), but coming at it from a standpoint that this is obviously on track to be a huge racist disaster seems like hyperbole.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 2, 2021

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

How did i not notice mag ururk thraka before lmao

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

The vim-to monks? Holy gently caress GW.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Approximately zero Japanese people will ever have a problem with not-Japan being named Nippon and having samurai, sorry.

If anything, mobile fighter g gundam would imply theyd love it

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's hosed up that Warhammer 3 will have Mr. Yunioshi as the only playable lord at launch

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ohsh!!!!! Save us!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The names? Like naming Japan-land "Japan" ? (The Lizardmen aren't called Aztecs)
It's only about as lazy as most of the Brettonian names, which are often just slightly mispelled or mispronounced names of actual French places and people. To the point that the French translations of GW material just corrects them and has them read as the real life places.