Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Zzulu posted:

Yeah if you're going to have an "evil idiot race" it's probably a bad idea to base it on a real culture :stare:

Counterpoint: Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Dr Christmas posted:

I wonder if the fact that most of the candidates for new armies are populated by humans who are also the Warhammer equivalent of good guys gives GW and CA pause in implementing them, despite the wildly varying cultures and armies they’d be based on. You’d want to throw in some good and evil non-humans in there. For that we just have the snake men of Khuresh. The oceans are probably home to some dudes we haven’t met yet.

sea aelves :getin:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Counterpoint: Australia.
Australians have no culture. Point still stands.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think the mongol expies might be the tribes of mounted hobgoblin archers who are ruled by "khans" but idk.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There are multiple Mongol expies in the form of the Hobgoblins, Mung, and the Ogres, much like white people get multiple expies in the form of not-Germans, not-French, not-Spanish, not-Italians, and both demonic and non-demonic not-Vikings

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Every kind of steppe person GW employees have heard of through late night History Channel specials and half remembered Dan Carlin segments will get their own bespoke racist caricature.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm still holding out hope for Tilea and Estalia one day. poo poo just hire that dude who made the mod tbh.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There's more steppen nomads in history than just the Mongols.

The hobgoblin wolf riders are active in the dark lands mostly IIRC and though they could their own race, they could also just be represented by a Greenskin DLC or FLC lord that has some new hobgoblin units as their centerpiece, Chaos Dwarfs would also have hobgoblin units.

The Kurgan are human, worship the Chaos gods like the Norscans and are steppe nomads who practice horse-archery and hunt chaos spawn for food. They aren't terribly well-established beyond being said to make up the bulk of the manpower of the Chaos Hordes, but they're loosely based on a mix of Scythians, Turkic peoples (their names are mostly Turkic) and Conan (the Cimmerian, who were an early historical steppe people).

toasterwarrior posted:

There are multiple Mongol expies in the form of the Hobgoblins, Mung, and the Ogres, much like white people get multiple expies in the form of not-Germans, not-French, not-Spanish, not-Italians, and both demonic and non-demonic not-Vikings

The Ogres aren't really Mongol expies or expies of any Central Asian culture as much as just being put in somewhat the same geographical area and taking some visual cues from there, and incoproating stuff like yetis from Himalayan folklore.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 2, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Terrible Opinions posted:

Australians have no culture. Point still stands.

so make one up and make drat sure that their currency is dollarydoos

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

Ohsh!!!!! Save us!!!

from what

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

I'm still holding out hope for Tilea and Estalia one day. poo poo just hire that dude who made the mod tbh.

I mean, that's Dogs of War. The Dogs of War army books from 5th and 6th edition are more or less the Tilea army book, with the addition of, since they are mercenaries, the units being able to be fielded by other armies as well where appropriate, a Dogs of War army on the other hand is a Tilean army, as the Tileans exclusively build up their armies via mercenaries (most of whom are actually Tilean, but there are fighters from every race and culture there a well).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 2, 2021

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mario and Luigi legendary lords when?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'd be down for throwing in the sea elves from Age of Sigmar in warhams equivalent of oceania and indonesia, but only if they get australian accents.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Mario and Luigi legendary lords when?

You say that, but many of little lore blurbs in the 5th edition Dogs of War book have dialogue by Tilean characters essentially written in Mario-speak.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Dogs of War seems like a very plausible addition. The only reason it's not a certain addition is because their primary stomping grounds were already covered in WH1. They have a lot more to go on than Kislev/Cathay/Vampire Coast ever did though, and of the primary Old World nations they had the most interaction with the East. I personally don't care if Tilea/Estalia themselves are ever playable, so long as mercenaries show up... and hopefully include Albion/Amazons/Araby auxiliaries along with the Tilean pikes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zaphod42 posted:

Punching down is different than attacking other white people.

Does anyone else think this is a really hosed up sentence?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lmao anyone else get an angry Zaphod PM or just me?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've always been at Total War™ against white people

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

I've always been at Total War™ against white people

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Randarkman posted:

I'd be down for throwing in the sea elves from Age of Sigmar in warhams equivalent of oceania and indonesia, but only if they get australian accents.

I was thinking how cool a Total War: Age of Sigmar would be with the Idoneth Deepkin as a playable faction. Not sure how CA would allow the sea turtles and eels to fight on land though. May ruin my immersion too much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jokes posted:

Does anyone else think this is a really hosed up sentence?

Do you just not know what punching down means, or are you attempting some "the people who talk about racism are the real racists" bullshit?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Zzulu posted:

Yeah if you're going to have an "evil idiot race" it's probably a bad idea to base it on a real culture :stare:

The evil idiot race is instead based on their own lower class.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

I was thinking how cool a Total War: Age of Sigmar would be with the Idoneth Deepkin as a playable faction. Not sure how CA would allow the sea turtles and eels to fight on land though. May ruin my immersion too much.

In lore the Sea Elves create an ethereal tide of magic to allow all their sea monsters to swim/swarm over land.

The Sea Elves are cool.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I dont know posted:

The evil idiot race is instead based on their own lower class.

yeah but they're white so its cool

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Age of Sigmar has Cow Aelves

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Sea elves Aenchovies

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Khorne-fed beef.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mordja posted:

Khorne-fed beef.

Khorned Beef

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Why are the elves now themed around surf and turf?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Cow elves would be actually pretty rad, but Lumineth are really just elves with ridiculous hats. :(

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

jokes posted:

Khorned Beef

please i am BEGGING you gw rename the minotaurs

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

AoS may have cow elves, but Oldhammer has COW-WORSHIPPING DWARVES WITH EVEN BETTER HATS THAN THOSE loving COW HORNS.

Praise Hashut and poo poo, motherfuckers. Lord of Hats.

Also, I finally got an Imrik game off the ground. The one good thing about the growth changes is that it slowed down Grimgor enough so that he could only spam endless Big 'Uns stacks at me, instead of non-stop Black Orc doomstacks on turn 50. So now I'm the only High Elven faction on the map, Grimgor is holding out at Karak Zorn against Karl and Gelt, and Malekith is in control of Ulthuan and most of everything west of it and is currently hellmarching the Old World now that Archaon is dead.

This is actually super dope and HOLY gently caress is Imrik a beast.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 2, 2021

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Gonkish posted:

This is actually super dope and HOLY gently caress is Imrik a beast.

It really is beautiful :allears:

Flying Monster indeed!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is the a silent in aelves? Or do you pronounce it?

EYY-elves

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

toasterwarrior posted:

Is the point of contention that "Nippon" is racist because Nippon is quite literally one of the names used to refer to Japan by the Japanese in some point of their history

Nippon is what they call their country right now. Or Nihon, but I hear both, it's kind of hard to hear the difference sometimes.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Looking forward to future faction Nippoff

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Looking forward to future faction Nippoff

Sworn enemies of Slaaneshi titty demons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also it it racist or stereotypical to have Ninja's and Samurai in an army. Cause Ancient Japan did have that, and they make tons of media about that stuff.

Like the Japanese would probably think it's cool that they got a faction based on them in the game.