Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr.Radar posted:

Just want to call out this bit in particular:

Chicken flavored with ball bearings :psyduck:
That's probably the least weird thing in the posts. People swear up and down that leaving lead or steel shot in their game birds during roasting makes it taste better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The second big banquet was...less well-received.

quote:

The meal, beyond the wildest expectations of those present, many of whom felt a churning in their gastric cavities which could be put down not entirely to appetite but also to understandable fear, began with a Timbale of Tomorrow: a sort of appetizer perhaps too poetic to be appreciated by the needs of the stomach, which as everyone knows, is a crude materialist. This timbale was composed of the head of a newborn calf, miserable and disconcerted, in the middle of a superabundance of pineapples, nuts and dates: these dates once bitten into revealed themselves pregnant with an almost Cyclopean surprise: they were, in fact, carefully stuffed with anchovies so that out of this innocent head, out of these pineapples and African fruits with the added complexity of fish, a sort of pudding was born that left every oesophagus choked with admiration.

We proceeded then impetuously to Taste Buds Take Off: a name indicating a soup of fairly bizarre nature, composed in almost equal parts of concentrated meat stock, champagne and liqueurs: on top of this mixture, which for initiates is said to have extraordinary appetitive qualities, floated some large rose petals, graceful and fragile. Confronted with such a masterpiece of brothy lyricism the guests courageously tried the experiment of swallowing; but more than one, with obvious aversion, forebore to continue to the end and contented himself with just taking a rose petal from the bowl, drying it with his napkin and placing it inside his wallet as a souvenir of the meal and evidence of a banquet of which he would later tell his grandchildren.

The third course, the ‘Ox in the Cockpit’, consisted of some very mysterious meatballs over whose composition it is neither good nor helpful to speculate, placed on top of aeroplanes made of bread. The planes were fine, the meat balls less so. However, this dish was among the most appreciated, being one which offered many of the guests the chance to still their hunger with bread, which had never before appeared to be such a divine and precious food.

And now the waiters appear with great trays bearing the ‘Vegetal Flight Booster’, consisting of a discreetly diabolical mixture in which slices of beetroot and slices of orange nestled together, united by oil and vinegar and a little pinch of salt. By this time many of the diners had already put their digestive systems into a not quite normal condition, so they could not really be blamed for being unable to repress an instinctive gesture of terror when the tray carrying the ‘conclusive foods’ appeared. These foods gloried in the extremely dynamic name of ‘Candied Atmospheric Electricities’. These dear and unforgettable ‘electricities’ looked like little brightly-coloured bars of marbled soap, containing a sweetish cream made from ingredients that only an exhaustive chemical analysis would be able to define. I have to say, with a journalist’s scruple, that only a very few of the banqueters dared to put these bars of soap into their mouths: unfortunately I don’t know the names of those daring souls. I say unfortunately because a cluster of heroes like these deserves, at the very least, eternalization in bronze.

And so we arrived at the Landing on Water Digestive: a landing that not everyone managed to carry out, since a good number had already sunk at the moment of takeoff. Marinetti rose to speak and, with a marvellous eloquence which sprang from him so spontaneously it was as if he had not touched the food, he launched into an outburst worthy of a Public Prosecutor against the infamy of pasta and the ignominy of ravioli, exalting Futurist dishes by contrast, particularly those amphibious dates we were able to taste so memorably at the beginning of the banquet.

After Marinetti sat down, the poet Farfa jumped to his feet and declaimed with aviatorial impetuosity a quasi-Pindaric ode entitled ‘Song of the Tubers’.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zedprime posted:

That's probably the least weird thing in the posts. People swear up and down that leaving lead or steel shot in their game birds during roasting makes it taste better.

I'm pretty sure that lead will make it more sweet, I mean that's why the romans used it so much for wine

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I worked on a film last summer where the actor went in Keto for six months before shooting to achieve a nothing but skin and bones look.

Literally minutes after he wrapped a few people from the crew walked in with a stack of pizzas and beer and he dug in. Never seen anyone as happy.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

zedprime posted:

That's mostly a joke around here. Finding shot in your cooked goose meat is considered super extra bad luck. Like the rest of your hunts for the year are cursed bad vibes. It comes from people going bat nuts from lead poisoning.

Also lead in your pheasant just tastes godawful. Yeah it's sweeter but also metallic and it bruises worse.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Mar 2, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
How is it I always hit plagerize instead of revise? The buttons aren't that close. This is ridiculous.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

quote:

that left every oesophagus choked with admiration.

That is a masterful turn of phrase.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

I worked on a film last summer where the actor went in Keto for six months before shooting to achieve a nothing but skin and bones look.

Literally minutes after he wrapped a few people from the crew walked in with a stack of pizzas and beer and he dug in. Never seen anyone as happy.

i'd probably eat myself to death. i only tried the keto thing briefly and it can suck the poo poo out of my rear end.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

It is not only that Futurist Cooking proposes a complete revolution in the nourishment of our race, with the aim of making it more joyful, spiritual and dynamic. Futurist Cooking also proposes, through the art of harmoniously combining Futurist dishes, to evoke and provoke essential states of mind which cannot otherwise be evoked or provoked. We have put together some dinner programmes that we call PROVOCATIVE AND EVOCATIVE.

Behold: The Heroic Winter Dinner

quote:

A group of soldiers who at three o’clock on a January afternoon will have to get into a lorry to enter the line of fire at four, or go up in an aeroplane to bomb cities or counter-attack enemy flights, would seek in vain the perfect preparation for these in the grieving kiss of a mother, of a wife, of children or in re-reading passionate letters.

A dreamy walk is equally inappropriate. So is the reading of an amusing book.

Instead these fighters sit down round a table, where they are served a ‘Drum Roll of Colonial Fish’ and some ‘Raw Meat Torn by Trumpet Blasts’.

DRUM ROLL OF COLONIAL FISH: poached mullet marinated for twenty-four hours in a sauce of milk, rosolio liqueur, capers and red pepper. Just before serving the fish, open it and stuff it with date jam interspersed with discs of banana and slices of pineapple. It will then be eaten to a continuous rolling of drums.

RAW MEAT TORN BY TRUMPET BLASTS: cut a perfect cube of beef. Pass an electric current through it, then marinate it for twenty-four hours in a mixture of rum, cognac and white vermouth. Remove it from the mixture and serve on a bed of red pepper, black pepper and snow. Each mouthful is to be chewed carefully for one minute, and each mouthful is divided from the next by vehement blasts on the trumpet blown by the eater himself. When it is time for the Peralzarsi; the soldiers are served plates of ripe persimmons, pomegranates and blood oranges. While these disappear into their mouths, some very sweet perfumes of roses, jasmine, honeysuckle and acacia flowers will be sprayed around the room, the nostalgic and decadent sweetness of which will be roughly rejected by the soldiers who rush like lightning to put their gas masks on.

The moment they are about to leave they swallow the Throat-Explosion, a solid liquid consisting of a pellet of Parmesan cheese steeped in Marsala.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The stupid(er) part about this is that they say in the comments that it’s a shame that composting produces all this free heat and energy that no one uses but then they put the steak on the grill anyway.

Seems like this is the type of heat more suited to like, passive environmental heating or something, not cooking... but what do I know, I'm not a whackjob

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Brawnfire posted:

Seems like this is the type of heat more suited to like, passive environmental heating or something, not cooking... but what do I know, I'm not a whackjob

In a climate with mild winters you can put a bunch of manure and other compostables in a flower bed, then a layer of soil on top to have a winter flower garden that grows things just slightly out of season for your climate. The compost material takes months to break down and keeps the soil warmer.

Too labour intensive to be practical for anyone but posh twits back in Victorian England with gardeners on staff.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

In a climate with mild winters you can put a bunch of manure and other compostables in a flower bed, then a layer of soil on top to have a winter flower garden that grows things just slightly out of season for your climate. The compost material takes months to break down and keeps the soil warmer.

Too labour intensive to be practical for anyone but posh twits back in Victorian England with gardeners on staff.
Winter compost gardens are poo poo easy but gently caress the pests that come with it. Why caterpillars and giant gently caress off cicada. Why you gotta show up in November. You keep killing my knockouts and squashes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I had a burrito like this once in Ohio. Everybody had a choice of chicken or beef. I wasn't feeling either option, so I asked if they could do a veggie burrito.

They said no problem.

It was just a tortilla full of pinto beans, little bit of cheese and salsa.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fizzymercury posted:

Winter compost gardens are poo poo easy but gently caress the pests that come with it. Why caterpillars and giant gently caress off cicada. Why you gotta show up in November. You keep killing my knockouts and squashes.

I fall down hard on pest control, it's my gardening blind spot to be certain

Oh, to have lush and beautiful lilies

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/bunchofbats/status/1366799282364440576?s=20

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nobody's gonna eat the entire watermelon

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

Look at this fatass

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
That slice of cheese cake is not 1000 calories by a long shot. It might be closer to 400.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

chitoryu12 posted:

Behold: The Heroic Winter Dinner

Is... is this book easily available?

e: yes, very.

gschmidl has a new favorite as of 22:49 on Mar 2, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

That slice of cheese cake is not 1000 calories by a long shot. It might be closer to 400.

You're thinking of New York Cheesecake

This is Neutron Star Cheesecake.

easy mistake to make

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
My husband would easily eat half of that watermelon at one sitting, though. He eats ridiculous amounts of watermelon.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yes, they took the calorie count of an enormous Cheesecake Factory cheesecake slice and tried to hang it on a normal restaurant cheesecake slice. :(

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:mods:

That last one should earn at least a dozen bonkings…

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure I've read the second and third on recipe blogs. If anything, they're less pretentious.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Seafood and halva sounds pretty terrible, but those peaches sound amazing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

As someone who carried around a printed out copy of Marinetti's Futurist Manifesto when I was a young pretentious art student in the 90s, then found a passion for cooking --- chitoryu, these posts are resplendent. I need a copy of this book.

(Also my phone tried 3 times to autocorrect your username to "chicory")

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As someone who carried around a printed out copy of Marinetti's Futurist Manifesto when I was a young pretentious art student
...Courtney? No way in hell there's two of you that did that. Were you super into maroon hair, clove cigarettes, and very small cardigan sweaters?

Also you need to be from deepest Texas. Man Courtney was cool.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Watermelon is the opposite of keto, it's loaded with natural sugar.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Everything I lookk up says watermelon is 10calories per cup.

e;
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1366497318711791623?s=20

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Mar 3, 2021

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Someone was asking for people trying out dump dinners about 400 posts ago when ramen dinners came up.

https://youtu.be/og9Ozr7S5JA

https://youtu.be/v4fypAlp3f8

https://youtu.be/imf-egoRaEg

Enjoy!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Futurist recipes all sound like joke recipes from Achewood

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I made "breakfast fried rice" for dinner tonight. Veggie bacon, apple & sage veggie sausage, tofu (redundant, upon reflection), egg and green onion. It didn't look pretty but it was mighty tasty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah but a weirdass looking example

Is it supposed to look like something else? That's what it normally looks like afaik?

I don't know what else reconstituted hardened meat slurry shavings could possibly look like?

fizzymercury posted:

...I still nip out of the worcestershire bottle though. My roommate wandered in on that once. We don't talk about it.

That's probably not unhygenic, I don't think anything you have would survive proximity to the sauce.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Watermelon is the opposite of keto, it's loaded with natural sugar.

It's also, and this might be a bit of a surprise, mostly water.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You could have a single gummy bear... or you could drink three hundred gallons of pond water for the same amount of calories and no refined sugar. I think we can see the more health conscious choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You can pickle under-ripe watermelon. That's keto and really delicious. I never have ripe watermelons at the end of the season cause I pull them too soon for pickles.