Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bape Culture posted:

I wish people would pay me for my thoughts instead of troll me on the worlds most troll free forums aboit cars :(

Look at this guy, can't even spell "about" goodly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i'm not a bmw poster in any way but god drat i just came here to post about how horrible the new 2 gran coupe looks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

There's probably some truth to the idea that BMW is going after a different market this time because it's the first time in my entire life I've ever even considered a BMW as a car I'd want.

Lack of taste is one of the most common symptoms of covid, have you had a test lately?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Mmmm. Delicious, pure, thought provoking design. Definitely not just a twisty piece caused by cheaping out anf panel sharing. The mismatch of highlights like they’re from three different vehicles really gets the blood pumpin. I am a genius anf I don’t just take the opposite of common opinion in place of a personality or original thought. This is beautiful and sorth one hundred thousand dollars

It doesn't look like that in person. The "gap" is the reflection of the fender in the door. The whole point of the M3 was that it's an ugly homologation of different parts to make a regular 3 series at home in DTM. The sedans always look kind of goofy, it's part of what makes them endearing.

Wild EEPROM posted:

i'm not a bmw poster in any way but god drat i just came here to post about how horrible the new 2 gran coupe looks.

This we can all agree on.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rscott posted:

Lack of taste is one of the most common symptoms of covid, have you had a test lately?

:captainpop:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It does look that bad in real life. I’ve seen a bunch of them in person at the ring.
None of that is true. The m3 up until the F series was always pretty well resolved and not such a wank bodge.
Smh.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

i saw one for the first time yesterday and it looks even uglier in person. there are people paying north of $45k for these things, good god

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
CATuned finally got my coilovers built and shipped them yesterday night!

Hopefully I have them Friday.

:getin:

rscott posted:

lmfao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Glaring door/fender flare discontinuities are a horrible break from tradition

:v:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah. That looks good and makes sense and isn’t remotely comparable to a modern car.
The reason the new ones look so poo poo is because of bean counters and absolutely nothing else. To pretend it’s a nod to classic M cars is laughable.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean I agree with you fully except I'm pretty sure the E30 flares could have been integrated better if not for the exact same cost savings that led them to reuse the door panels then. I'm not convinced it "makes sense" on that style of car, more so than a fully redesigned side slab could have

I mean lol it literally goes convex-concave-convex under the seam

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But it's old so it must be perfect

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They made 18,000 E30 M3s and thought they were going to make less. They’ve made 100,000 F8x M cars. It was a quick homologation race car. Not a cynical marketing lead piece of poo poo. Obviously you guys have dedicated some sort of cult to this heavy, ugly, awful car and aren’t actually interested so that’s fine. But if you think it looks good and is good youre mad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't think the new 3 series looks good at all just for the record

Nor do I think that flare is good

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I don't think anyone is earnestly arguing that the new 3erM is "good" aesthetically, and its very obvious, if you've been paying attention, that BMW no longer cares about actually making good *cars* and hasn't for quite awhile. Its genetics notwithstanding, its big and dumb and no one should buy it. Plenty of folks will though.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I don't think the new M3 looks good. Okay maybe.

Also I think that the base E30 looks better than the M3.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

I don't think anyone is earnestly arguing that the new 3erM is "good" aesthetically, and its very obvious, if you've been paying attention, that BMW no longer cares about actually making good *cars* and hasn't for quite awhile. Its genetics notwithstanding, its big and dumb and no one should buy it. Plenty of folks will though.

BMW realized they need to make cars people actually want to be in and not just cars people deal with because they drive well. This has caused the subset of people who like cars that are loud, miserable, horrible places to be to completely lose their goddamn minds.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
it’s wild that the new g80 m3 weighs nearly 4,000 lbs with the DCT

that is bang on what an e60 M5 weighed and nearly 400lbs more than a f80

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Also I think that the base E30 looks better than the M3.

i share this lukewarm take

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

BMW realized they need to make cars people actually want to be in and not just cars people deal with because they drive well. This has caused the subset of people who like cars that are loud, miserable, horrible places to be to completely lose their goddamn minds.

i suppose i would i want to be inside of the new M3 because then i wouldn't have to see the outside

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i suppose i would i want to be inside of the new M3 because then i wouldn't have to see the outside

you'd melt everytime you drove past a row of windows though

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

KillHour posted:

What the heck are you talking about! What's like a normal good car to you lol

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i share this lukewarm take

Same

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KillHour posted:

They don’t though. They’re bloated, over priced, ugly garbage.

You’re taking this oddly personally haha.

I’m honestly baffled.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Previous generation M3s had terrible interiors relative to their price. Way worse than the competition. The current gen is a big step up interior-wise and has way less NVH, which translates to being a better daily.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

yeah BMW has traditionally been a boy racer car brand not a luxury brand :rolleyes:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mods rename this chat CHASING NVH PERFECTION

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

yeah BMW has traditionally been a boy racer car brand not a luxury brand :rolleyes:

We're not talking about the 750i here.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

They made 18,000 E30 M3s and thought they were going to make less. They’ve made 100,000 F8x M cars. It was a quick homologation race car. Not a cynical marketing lead piece of poo poo. Obviously you guys have dedicated some sort of cult to this heavy, ugly, awful car and aren’t actually interested so that’s fine. But if you think it looks good and is good youre mad.

I'm not even arguing that this car looks good, just that some of the criticism is stupid and in particular the fender flare. The M3 sedans have always looked completely weird, in particular the fender flares because of how to car gets built. BMW builds something that the M division has to hack apart until it's faster than the last M3.

It's definitely not the prettiest M3, that goes to the E46. However, it's a sedan that passes the wife test that has a 6 speed and AWD available with 470+ horsepower.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
the way it feels to me is BMW used to be the leader. i remember when the e60 came out and everyone was like "wtf" and then all cars started looking like e60s. now everyone has big grilles and now bmw suddenly has a big grille. they're doing it wrong!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

We're not talking about the 750i here.

so you agree they're a luxury brand? i agree!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kronix posted:

It's definitely not the prettiest M3, that goes to the E46. However, it's a sedan that passes the wife test that has a 6 speed and AWD available with 470+ horsepower.

It's this (except the 6 speed is RWD only). I'm buying it because my SO will let me have it as our daily, not because it's the car I would buy if practicality and WAF were 0 concern (that would be a GT4)

Lightbulb Out posted:

so you agree they're a luxury brand? i agree!

They are a luxury brand but M3s aren't particularly luxurious cars for the $80-90k price bracket. That's changing and they're getting more nicely appointed, at the cost of weight. Which is a good thing, IMO.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m glad my car is worse, heavier and more expensive acrually

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I’m glad my car is worse, heavier and more expensive acrually

More comfortable is not worse. Buy a Miata.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Since we're taking a bit of a design diversion here. Did Bangle ever mention the e30 M3 trunk as inspiration for the "Bangle butt"? Why is the trunk like that on e30 m3's? To match the altered rear window and still be able to open? The trunk has always caught my eye and looked kind of off...

Vs

glyph fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 3, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KillHour posted:

More comfortable is not worse. Buy a Miata.

I literally bought a miata yesterday

You should go and buy a phantom ajd leave alone M3s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I literally bought a miata yesterday

You should go and buy a phantom ajd leave alone M3s

I'm sorry they made a car I like and you don't? They didn't make it for me. If I call my rep and say "Nah, I don't want it" they're not going to go "aww shucks now we have to redesign it to appeal to the purists"

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh hve you bought one?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

glyph posted:

Since we're taking a bit of a design diversion here. Did Bangle ever mention the e30 M3 trunk as inspiration for the "Bangle butt"? Why is the trunk like that on e30 m3's? To match the altered rear window and still be able to open? The trunk has always caught my eye and looked kind of off...

Vs

It's because they literally put a shell over a regular E30 body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Oh hve you bought one?

I'm on the waitlist for AWD allocations, which haven't opened up yet, but I plan on at least putting down a refundable deposit. I want to test drive it before I pull the trigger though.