Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Nah, this "discussion" started because he said this looks good:

while calling this a "pig nose"

You left out the part where I explicitly said I think the M5 looks better and the "pig nose" was in comparison to the zoomed out picture taken from the right height. That M5 is one of the prettiest cars ever made and I'm glad they took some of that DNA, even if they didn't quite hit the mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I can’t help but feel the hideous grille would look slightly less hideous if the slats were vertical and not horizontal.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Well yes, but at that point we were just pointing out how wrong he was, the stupid part came later :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I can’t help but feel the hideous grille would look slightly less hideous if the slats were vertical and not horizontal.

I 100% agree with this take.

Bape Culture posted:

Also he questioned my design career :(

I'm questioning your existence at this point. Have I gotten rona and is this all a fever dream?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

yeah i mean at some level if you start off trollin don't get all sad when people think you are an idiot

i cannot imagine spending the better part of a hundred thousand american dollars on frankly any new car so i really don't get why of all things the sort of fat, not very attractive, but nice interior M3 is The Joint

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

glyph posted:

Since we're taking a bit of a design diversion here. Did Bangle ever mention the e30 M3 trunk as inspiration for the "Bangle butt"? Why is the trunk like that on e30 m3's? To match the altered rear window and still be able to open? The trunk has always caught my eye and looked kind of off...

Not 100% sure on this but don't think a regular E30 trunk would open properly with the M3 C-pillar and window. The M3 rear window is done for aerodynamics.

Lightbulb Out posted:

that doesn't change the BMW has been traditionally a "luxury" brand in the United States. Most people aren't psychos like me with a retirement plan of E30s
:hfive: Old BMW best BMW. I keep thinking about going back to an E30 daily...as well as some other stupid idea.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i mean at some level if you start off trollin don't get all sad when people think you are an idiot

i cannot imagine spending the better part of a hundred thousand american dollars on frankly any new car so i really don't get why of all things the sort of fat, not very attractive, but nice interior M3 is The Joint

100k is a lot to spend on a troll and I assure you, good sir, I am completely sincere :mad:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

You left out the part where I explicitly said I think the M5 looks better and the "pig nose" was in comparison to the zoomed out picture taken from the right height. That M5 is one of the prettiest cars ever made and I'm glad they took some of that DNA, even if they didn't quite hit the mark.

There is nothing in the style of the G80 that is derived from the E28. You don't even need to design cars for a living to see that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

I was too young to be in the market for M3 or 911 cars at the time but you're saying the old 911s are better inside than the current Cayman and, in turn, that the old M3s were nicer inside than those 911s? I can't really say much to that other than I like the current Cayman interior (in higher trims with all the boxes checked) a lot more than the F90 interior (and actually a bit more than the G80 interior still).
The point is that the M3 has always been more or less on par interior wise (it was the measure to be drawn against) with its actual competition since forever. It hasn't been until the last generation or two that BMW has shifted towards being more of a luxury brand versus a sports-gt car with a gentlemans interior.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

glyph posted:

Since we're taking a bit of a design diversion here. Did Bangle ever mention the e30 M3 trunk as inspiration for the "Bangle butt"? Why is the trunk like that on e30 m3's? To match the altered rear window and still be able to open? The trunk has always caught my eye and looked kind of off...

Vs

I missed this. But I’ve worked with chris and honestly i think he just likes odd converging lines and complex highlights that describe the full body of the surfaces.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

The point is that the M3 has always been more or less on par interior wise (it was the measure to be drawn against) with its actual competition since forever. It hasn't been until the last generation or two that BMW has shifted towards being more of a luxury brand versus a sports-gt car with a gentlemans interior.

Ah. Well, I can't really argue with that much. I will limit my assertion of them being not-as-nice inside as Merc/Audi/Porsche to just the last 10 years and just the cars I've specifically been in, and will reassert that I'm happy they are going in that direction, even if some people aren't.

Also I will point out that "how nice an interior is" is an opinion and not a statement of fact, however I am open to suggestions for other cars that will make my SO happy and still let me shred tires (that isn't a C63 because my friend already has one).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

Ah. Well, I can't really argue with that much. I will limit my assertion of them being not-as-nice inside as Merc/Audi/Porsche to just the last 10 years and just the cars I've specifically been in, and will reassert that I'm happy they are going in that direction, even if some people aren't.

Yeah, I think a lot of people are upset with that movement.

Before this you more or less had Mercedes on one end and Porsche on the other end. Lexus was the reliable Mercedes, Audi was closer to Mercedes and BMW was closer to Porsche. BMW has started moving away from Porsche and closer to Audi in the last couple of generations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of people are upset with that movement.

Before this you more or less had Mercedes on one end and Porsche on the other end.

Merc on the luxury end or the sporty end? I assume luxury?

Remember I'm ~30, so "old car" to me doesn't mean what it does to a lot of other people here. My memory of the E chassis BMWs are those things that were going away when I was in highschool.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, luxury to sporty axis.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, anyways, the M4 is finally in the part of that axis where my SO will let me buy one as a daily so I'mma go for it and I hope BMW keeps making the M2 forever because it, too, is a cool car if that's what you're into.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

Merc on the luxury end or the sporty end? I assume luxury?

Remember I'm ~30, so "old car" to me doesn't mean what it does to a lot of other people here. My memory of the E chassis BMWs are those things that were going away when I was in highschool.

I'm roughly the same age but have a ton of experience with e-chassis cars :shrug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'm roughly the same age but have a ton of experience with e-chassis cars :shrug:

That's cool, but people (not necessarily always the same people) are simultaneously trying to say the E-chassis is the yardstick the current gen must be measured against but also it's not fair to compare them because technology has improved in 15 years. I can't really make a cohesive argument against both of those things at the same time. From my perspective, I'm leasing this thing because I'm not interested in a daily that is broken down half the time, so the fact that E-chassis cars even exist doesn't really factor into my buying decision. I'm cross shopping other new cars.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KillHour posted:

That's cool, but people (not necessarily always the same people) are simultaneously trying to say the E-chassis is the yardstick the current gen must be measured against but also it's not fair to compare them because technology has improved in 15 years. I can't really make a cohesive argument against both of those things at the same time. From my perspective, I'm leasing this thing because I'm not interested in a daily that is broken down half the time, so the fact that E-chassis cars even exist doesn't really factor into my buying decision. I'm cross shopping other new cars.

It's not fair to compare 15 year old cars to new cars, yes. It's not unfair to compare E-chassis code cars with other cars of the same vintage. The impression I got was that you were doing the former, not the latter.

You have the money get whatever car floats your boat. This tension between sportiness and luxury has always been a BMW enthusiast thing.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yall.

If someone wants to buy a G code M car, let them, it's only going to drive prices down for older cars in the market. It may be idiotically hideous, but progress is going to march regardless of what a bunch of insular idiots on a dying comedy forum think.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

It's not fair to compare 15 year old cars to new cars, yes. It's not unfair to compare E-chassis code cars with other cars of the same vintage. The impression I got was that you were doing the former, not the latter.

You have the money get whatever car floats your boat. This tension between sportiness and luxury has always been a BMW enthusiast thing.

I'm honestly not trying to compare anything except the current M cars to the current offerings from Audi/Merc/et al. (and I guess their n-1 generation stuff) but the conversation got really weird and confusing with like 6 people making totally different arguments so :shrug:

Crunchy Black posted:

Yall.

If someone wants to buy a G code M car, let them, it's only going to drive prices down for older cars in the market. It may be idiotically hideous, but progress is going to march regardless of what a bunch of insular idiots on a dying comedy forum think.

I just embraced the Stockholm syndrome by staring at the G82 configurator for hours and hours at a time. You, too, shall all succumb eventually.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 3, 2021

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My argument is this:
I’m cool and the fastest bmw driver in this thread. Posting is my life and I love to Lol. Also I’m very handsom e

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KillHour posted:

E chassis cars are what made BMW into the brand it is today, BMW enthusiasts are definitely going to use those cars as a basis to compare more modern versions to.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rscott posted:

E chassis cars are what made BMW into the brand it is today, BMW enthusiasts are definitely going to use those cars as a basis to compare more modern versions to.

That's fine but it doesn't help me pick a car to buy. I'm not a [manufacturer] enthusiast, I'm a car enthusiast. I really couldn't care less about the badge (evidenced by the ridiculous selection of cars I've owned).

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

KillHour posted:

The last E code BMW was from 2008 MY, so 14 years ago.

If that's too esoteric of an E chassis for you, then 2013:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

glyph posted:

I went by when production started, not when it ended.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

NitroSpazzz posted:

:hfive: Old BMW best BMW. I keep thinking about going back to an E30 daily...as well as some other stupid idea.

I miss my daily E30 so much. It was so good and so much fun in the winter. But it was just rotting in my driveway outside barely being driven, so it's good that I moved on but.... :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

Before this you more or less had Mercedes on one end and Porsche on the other end. Lexus was the reliable Mercedes, Audi was closer to Mercedes and BMW was closer to Porsche. BMW has started moving away from Porsche and closer to Audi in the last couple of generations.

This is a pretty great summary, and puts in to words why I'm uncomfortable with where BMW is moving. If you only have room for 1 car, maybe the middle makes sense, but if you can have more than 1 car, why not get a car that tilts towards luxury and also get a car that tilts towards the sports side of things?

Of course what I did is right.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

This is a pretty great summary, and puts in to words why I'm uncomfortable with where BMW is moving. If you only have room for 1 car, maybe the middle makes sense, but if you can have more than 1 car, why not get a car that tilts towards luxury and also get a car that tilts towards the sports side of things?

Of course what I did is right.

Doesn't this just mean the BMW is an option for your luxury car and you pick another marque as your sporty car though? That's what I'm doing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Doesn't this just mean the BMW is an option for your luxury car and you pick another marque as your sporty car though? That's what I'm doing.

I guess it's more how I feel about the M3 specifically. If I have space for two cars, BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Porsche/Lexus make a lot of cars that can fit the bill for a daily driver. For a daily driver, I want something with enough room for the dog/future kids/etc, with comfortable seats, low NVH, and suspension that glides over the terrible roads of our crumbling infrastructure. Right now, we have a Macan/E450 wagon for those roles, although I admit I go back and forth on occasion on whether I might want to try something sportier down the road.

The M3 feels like a compromise for the DD role as well as the sports car role. I've driven them a few times, but admittedly I've never owned one.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
This MPG comparison is always funny to me and was actually reversed until just recently. Also, any car feels like a Lambo after driving a big rear end truck around.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Every BMW I've ever owned except my eta E30 has gotten about 17 MPG combined, it's pretty funny really

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The e89 got poo poo on when it was new but in retrospect it was good so......

Also yes my 6.2 AT4 gets better gas mileage than my M2 ha...let's not talk about the ETA stroker, even presuming it ever runs again.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My 325e would get 28mpg with the o2 sensor unplugged :smug:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

glyph posted:

Because I'm a pedantic rear end in a top hat (i.e. a BMW owner) the only 2013 E9X was the 335is and the M3. The F30 went on sale for the end of the 2012 model year, so basically a decade ago. Also, nobody really gives a poo poo about the Z4.

rscott posted:

The F80 M3 is better in every way than the E9X M3 before it except the way it sounds.

The F30 340i when properly equipped (i.e. non-xdrive with the m-sport suspension) was the best non-M 3 series until the M340i.

For the record, I've driven an e90 M3 and a smattering of regular 3 series including a 330 and N54 and N55 335. I would 100% pick the F30 F340 over any of them with the only exception of the M3.

I have a feeling that a lot of the people bitching about new BMWs don't drive them.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think the new M3 is really ugly but I don't think basically any new car really drives badly

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

Every BMW I've ever owned except my eta E30 has gotten about 17 MPG combined, it's pretty funny really

I can get 17 mpg city in the f80 if I drive at all like a normal person. It’s usually around 15.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
My 850Ci got 11mpg around town and 18 when operated exclusively on the highway (282 net hp). Is there some kind of losers award for bad gas mileage?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I regularly get single digits in the Aston. I don't look at the gas mileage indicator anymore.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Lightbulb Out posted:

I miss my daily E30 so much. It was so good and so much fun in the winter. But it was just rotting in my driveway outside barely being driven, so it's good that I moved on but.... :(
I keep looking at them and test drove a few before covid and everything. They've held up well compared to other cars of the time, less rose colored glasses than most at least. Another month or two down here and it'll be time to bring out the old BMWs again which I'm really looking forward to. Need to put some miles on everything this summer to make up for lack of miles last year.

E21, E30 and E28 all get 12-15mpg in the mountains. Last, and first, tank on the i3 got 783.1 mpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bape Culture posted:

My argument is this:
I’m cool and the fastest bmw driver in this thread. Posting is my life and I love to Lol. Also I’m very handsom e

Post pics of your Supreme gear.

I am not the market for the new G80. I appreciate that one of our forum members is getting one though and look forward to vicariously experiencing that and reading thoughts on it.

mpg edit: the E90 has a baby size fuel tank and I get like 200 miles between fillups. Last fill up netted 12 mpg barely