Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I loved Bravely Default; I even enjoyed the back half loops for the most part, they were just different enough to keep my interest. I struggled getting into Bravely Second though, and never got very far. It felt like it was super ashamed of its Final Fantasy roots and so was trying everything in its power change up anything related to it. Spellcraft was kind of neat for what it was, and hearing "Mrgrgrgr" and "Unacceptable!" again was always a treat, but I just couldn't stick with it.

I'm excited to pick this one up, but I've got a few games in my queue left to finish first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I haven't been able to find much on the subject but is it ever worthwhile to not equip a second weapon/shield in the off hand? Is it just a straight stat/damage upgrade?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Now use the Free-For-All passive. :getin:

My current team loadout, having finished the first three Major Asterisk Bosses of Chapter 4:

Elvis: Spiritmancer/White Mage. Solely responsible for keeping Gloria the Immovable Object intact. Casts Reraise on her, laughs hilariously.

My opinion of Spiritmancer shot way up once I got to rank 12. It went from this spirit stuff is cool I guess, but I really just want Reraise, to I can never not use this thanks to the free removal of any negative status effect every turn along with constant MP regen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

stev posted:

Speaking of the ruins, that lunch sidequest may be the most tedious bullshit I've seen in the game so far, but the reward was too good to skip it.

I ran it just to get it out off the way but in the time it takes to complete it I could've probably run 2 10-battle chains on the beach in the starting area and gained 10x the JP that the reward gave.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I'm getting ready to go into the obviously telegraphed bard dungeon, but I keep thinking I want to finish hammering out max level freelancer on all my guys for JP up and up. I've only gotten like 2 of the monster chaining items so I'm kind of hesitant on burning one of those for sick nasty chain bonuses. At the moment most of them are most of the way through Freelancer 10, but man even with the +20% it's still taking an age. Am I better just saying gently caress it and spinning up everyone on the jobs since they do all have at least the +20 and maybe hammer out +50 later on?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

So I'm getting ready to go into the obviously telegraphed bard dungeon, but I keep thinking I want to finish hammering out max level freelancer on all my guys for JP up and up. I've only gotten like 2 of the monster chaining items so I'm kind of hesitant on burning one of those for sick nasty chain bonuses. At the moment most of them are most of the way through Freelancer 10, but man even with the +20% it's still taking an age. Am I better just saying gently caress it and spinning up everyone on the jobs since they do all have at least the +20 and maybe hammer out +50 later on?
grinding out jobs early is just a huge time waster and not at all worth it

once you get a bit further in the game you can chain low level mobs and rack up hundreds of jp per fight, with enemies that you one-shot in a single turn.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

stev posted:

Man the party is really enabling Elvis' rampant alcoholism. I assume he's steaming at all times given that booze is all he talks or thinks about but he's high functioning enough that it not noticeable.

I like how underplayed Alfyn's alcoholism from Octopath was.

That dude had a problem.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It bugs me that scenes will sometimes render characters in low-res with jaggies everywhere, then in the next scene it renders them in HD with no jaggies.

How does weapon rating work? Vanguard has a S for axes, does that actually do/mean anything?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I ran it just to get it out off the way but in the time it takes to complete it I could've probably run 2 10-battle chains on the beach in the starting area and gained 10x the JP that the reward gave.

I can't get a chain past 2 or 3 battles, how do you go up past that?

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
someone might've already posted this, but it was a bit of a letdown that the first two asterisk bearers are basically just Holly and Barras again, but more generic. they could've at least mixed it up a bit by swapping the asterisks, big buff white mage guy + tiny stoic knight lady would've been fun and it would've been a good opener for the "person/asterisk mismatch" quasi-theme they've got going

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

do u believe in marigolds posted:

I haven't been able to find much on the subject but is it ever worthwhile to not equip a second weapon/shield in the off hand? Is it just a straight stat/damage upgrade?

The trade off is increased weight and I think for a second weapon the stats are diminished. Maybe there’s a dual wield skill later? As for a shield, yeah it’s weight and iirc you get less of a benefit if the character’s class isn’t proficient in shields.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I can't get a chain past 2 or 3 battles, how do you go up past that?

Corral a bunch of fleeing mobs (using a coastline and moving them into a map corner works best) and pop a bait item before the fight.

Or use a bait item and get a bunch of stuff to chase you until you have a big group to chain, but the first method is faster tbh. The Sahaugin in the intro area can drop fresh fish as a rare item as well so it's pretty self-sustaining.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just did the Berserker fight and yeesh. I won first try, but just barely and only because I had unlocked Arise on WHM already; otherwise I wouldn't have been able to keep up with the damage he was dishing out. It was actually not a battle of attrition, since the sheer damage he dealt out pressured me to try and kill him sooner rather than later (since the wrong combination/timing of his attacks could have wiped me out easily). I think I would have had an easier time if I had leveled up Bard (which I'm going to do as soon as Elvis maxes Black Mage, since he's really close now). On the upside, it probably says something good about the boss fights that nearly every single one involves me barely winning. Feels like you have to put more thoughts into things and that I would have lost if I had made worse decisions.

Others have mentioned this, but don't sleep on Poison. It seemingly lasts forever against bosses once applied. I was also able to Confuse the aforementioned boss, though it didn't do much good since his allies were already dead.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Same. I can burn 60+mp for a 3-400damage -aga spell or 99mp for a 1500 damage monk skill, or 1bp for 1k or so damage and just have someone do that 2x for their first action in random battles to blow through trash at breakneck speed.

In the boss fight mentioned above, hitting his weakness with Firaga did ~700 damage, but he countered fire damage and the damage was still dramatically inferior to both Monk and Beastmaster releasing a Minotaur. Speaking of the latter, I wish there was some way to get a description of Beastmaster abilities - it only says if they have an elemental alignment but some obviously aren't even attacks - there's one monster's ability was called Advance and targeted a party member, but I had no idea what it would do (ended up not using it since I was in the middle of a boss fight). I'll probably look them up online, but that information would ideally be in the game somewhere.

I get the impression that BLM might be the sort of job that is better as a subjob for a job that can do better magic damage. I could also see something like Aspir Attack being good on other jobs, since many melee jobs use MP for attacks.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 3, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

One of the classes gets the 2 handed passive that you can then inherit down the line.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ytlaya posted:

So I just did the Berserker fight and yeesh. I won first try, but just barely and only because I had unlocked Arise on WHM already; otherwise I wouldn't have been able to keep up with the damage he was dishing out. It was actually not a battle of attrition, since the sheer damage he dealt out pressured me to try and kill him sooner rather than later (since the wrong combination/timing of his attacks could have wiped me out easily). I think I would have had an easier time if I had leveled up Bard (which I'm going to do as soon as Elvis maxes Black Mage, since he's really close now). On the upside, it probably says something good about the boss fights that nearly every single one involves me barely winning. Feels like you have to put more thoughts into things and that I would have lost if I had made worse decisions.

Others have mentioned this, but don't sleep on Poison. It seemingly lasts forever against bosses once applied. I was also able to Confuse the aforementioned boss, though it didn't do much good since his allies were already dead.

In the boss fight mentioned above, hitting his weakness with Firaga did ~700 damage, but he countered fire damage and the damage was still dramatically inferior to both Monk and Beastmaster releasing a Minotaur. Speaking of the latter, I wish there was some way to get a description of Beastmaster abilities - it only says if they have an elemental alignment but some obviously aren't even attacks - there's one monster's ability was called Advance and targeted a party member, but I had no idea what it would do (ended up not using it since I was in the middle of a boss fight). I'll probably look them up online, but that information would ideally be in the game somewhere.

I get the impression that BLM might be the sort of job that is better as a subjob for a job that can do better magic damage. I could also see something like Aspir Attack being good on other jobs, since many melee jobs use MP for attacks.

Spoiler for the CH2 boss mentioned.

Freelancers can dispel his berserk which trivialises everything

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I discovered chain battles and it really breaks the job exp curve since I'm at chapter 3 and staring at multiple job classes mastered. Moves like Pressure Point and Godspeed Strike have no business doing so much damage. Thief never has to worry about MP costs much either. Mastering Vanguard gives it a huge attack boost the more aggro gear you put on and its final skill is just another big damage nuke for only costing MP.

The only disappointing class is Beastmaster because you have no idea what monster abilities do. I used one ability and it missed, and decided that was it I'm not going around catching everything just for a bunch of attacks that don't do anything. Pick up MP Saver and move on.

I destroyed the Thief asterisk boss by capturing a bunch of minotaurs and just Brave x4 slamming those bitches on him one after another, easy 2-3k each.

Is it just me or is Elvis kinda poo poo at everything? His black magic is weak, his physical attacks are weak, he only really seems useful in jobs that don't scale on stats.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Andrast posted:

The steal rates in this game are abysmal so I wouldn't do it even if there was stuff to steal

It's kind of goofy given the existence of Forage, which is a 100% chance to get stuff like ethers, hi-potions, and attack items as many times as you want. Since equipping someone with Thief I've attempted to steal like 20 times against random normal mobs without success.

Natural 20 posted:

Spoiler for the CH2 boss mentioned.

Freelancers can dispel his berserk which trivialises everything

:monocle:

Somehow it did not occur to me that he could have had the status effect.

raditts posted:

I destroyed the Thief asterisk boss by capturing a bunch of minotaurs and just Brave x4 slamming those bitches on him one after another, easy 2-3k each.

Is it just me or is Elvis kinda poo poo at everything? His black magic is weak, his physical attacks are weak, he only really seems useful in jobs that don't scale on stats.

At the very least any stat discrepancies should be easy enough to address with all the stat buffing items you get from the boat (and occasionally other gameplay).

I think BLM itself is just kind of underwhelming. Early on it's useful as your only way to do AoE attacks, but that's not an issue once you get a couple other early jobs.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 3, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

stev posted:

This bard dude is destroying me. I feel like I just have to grind to stand a chance against his triple brave party wipes.

Level a freelancer up until you have the "Square One" ability (which removes all buffs from an enemy) and bravex4 that every time he sings, then make the rest of your party wreck them before he can sing again, and/or get a bunch of stones / other all enemy items from the shop and pelt them into the shadow realm. After they're dead, brave up to max, unload all your attacks on him, rinse and repeat until he dead.

Eopia posted:

Hey, so I never managed to get through Bravely Second and I kinda want to know what happens in it before I play this, does anyone know of any decent Let's Plays for it?

Have you played Undertale? If so, you've pretty much already seen the ending to Bravely Second.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I feel like they should remaster BD1 and maybe even BSecond for the popular nintendo switch console. That's my controversial opinion

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I mean, the 3DS is still a perfectly good system, but then they went and did it with Alliance Alive so :shrug:

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like they should remaster BD1 and maybe even BSecond for the popular nintendo switch console. That's my controversial opinion

sorry, not until after xenoblade chronicles x

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

raditts posted:

The characters in this game have indentical base stats. There is no difference between the characters.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

boy elvis sure likes a drink huh

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Andrast posted:

The characters in this game have indentical base stats. There is no difference between the characters.

Pretty sure it's like ff5 where there is differences, but they are minute enough to where it's basically a non-factor in the grander scope of things.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

Pretty sure it's like ff5 where there is differences, but they are minute enough to where it's basically a non-factor in the grander scope of things.

Nope, identical stats this time around

(unless you have fed them those permanent stat boosts)

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

someone might've already posted this, but it was a bit of a letdown that the first two asterisk bearers

The only disappointing thing about the first two asterisk bearers is that they're not recurring characters.

Dag's accent was delightful.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

any more thoughts on the plot? i haven't picked this up yet, but i am intrigued. never played the other two or ff5, but i've read those plots were fantastic. but reviews here say the story is...blah.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

abelwingnut posted:

any more thoughts on the plot? i haven't picked this up yet, but i am intrigued. never played the other two or ff5, but i've read those plots were fantastic. but reviews here say the story is...blah.

the plot of ff5 was absolutely not fantastic, lol

HisouTenshi
Dec 15, 2020

No Mods No Masters posted:

The first two games did funky stuff with the 3DS camera, so any port's gonna have to figure out how to work around that.

abelwingnut posted:

It's more down-to-earth, that's for sure. The plot's definitely not as outlandish as those in the first two games. It's not even as comedic as FF5's GBA translation. Expect a few twists, but nothing insanely jaw-dropping. I think the dialed-backness works in the game's favor-- Bravely Second in particular got so ridiculous at times you couldn't take it seriously even when the writers wanted you to. If you don't expect anything mind-blowing, I think it's acceptable. Of course, I haven't thought about it hard enough to find any real problems with it, so this could very well be subject to change.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tatsuta Age posted:

the plot of ff5 was absolutely not fantastic, lol

Yeah, FF5 has a horrible plot even by the thin standards of Final Fantasy. It's poorly translated, the plot beats read like they were written by a 6 year old (....and then, the evil tree god goes to space, and then everyone's dead dad is there for some reason, and then....), and it's incredibly short The battle mechanics are solid though. Had it not been for Four Job Fiesta I probably wouldn't of ever beaten it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FF5's was the Saturday morning cartoon version of JRPG plots.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Yeah, FF5 has a horrible plot even by the thin standards of Final Fantasy. It's poorly translated, the plot beats read like they were written by a 6 year old (....and then, the evil tree god goes to space, and then everyone's dead dad is there for some reason, and then....), and it's incredibly short The battle mechanics are solid though. Had it not been for Four Job Fiesta I probably wouldn't of ever beaten it

IDK what crack you're smoking but short rpg in a day and age where every rpg is a massive "crack open a tome, you're now doing homework assignments" a short fun campy rpg would be neat

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

The only disappointing thing about the first two asterisk bearers is that they're not recurring characters.

Dag's accent was delightful.

Someone hasn't been doing all the sidequests!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

IDK what crack you're smoking but short rpg in a day and age where every rpg is a massive "crack open a tome, you're now doing homework assignments" a short fun campy rpg would be neat

Literally what Octoboath Traveller was and people love to complain about how the simple and straightforward thing SE promised didn't actually end up being some different and super complex dream ideal RPG.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Octopath Traveler was not a short game unless you only played a few of the character’s stories and just stopped.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah octopath was pretty long (and had a horrible encounter rate even with the ability that reduced them)

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Black Mage is just really weak early. Maybe there's some weird scaling issue with M. Atk at lower levels?

Now that I'm in chapter 3, magic is a bit more viable. My Red/Black Mage can output some decent damage. Still a bit behind the physical jobs but nowhere near as bad as at the start of the game where it was pathetic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

Unless it just completely jumps the shark later I've been a little confused by the negative plot-related reviews, since so far (having finished the first "full" chapter after the prologue) it seems to basically be on par with Bravely Default 1 and is doing a fine job of holding my attention (I had a harder time caring about the plot in Octopath).

I kind of like how it's leaning into the idea of asterisks as a plot device.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Srice posted:

Someone hasn't been doing all the sidequests!

I'm somewhat frustrated at you for bullying me into interfacing with their poorly-implemented side-quest system.

They're so inconsistent as to whether they'll be voiced and amusing or phoned in yet require running back and forth between two locations roughly 6 times, and I can't figure out how they decide when things are gonna have icons and when they aren't.

Can you at least spoiler which town such quests show up in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm somewhat frustrated at you for bullying me into interfacing with their poorly-implemented side-quest system.

They're so inconsistent as to whether they'll be voiced and amusing or phoned in yet require running back and forth between two locations roughly 6 times, and I can't figure out how they decide when things are gonna have icons and when they aren't.

Can you at least spoiler which town such quests show up in?

In the desert town there's a guy who wants you to find a vase from an old mansion, the two of them make an appearance during that quest.