Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Objurium posted:

First big weekend ride after my homie helped me get my tubeless setup going last weekend.

I managed to throw and bend my chain 6 miles into my planned 52 mile route lmao, and somehow the chain got wedged in exactly two places against the frame and I left the house without a multitool. By some stroke of luck this occurred like 200 feet from a local bike shop and they got me unfucked and I did the rest of the route without issue.

Put in another 44 miles today and am feeling good. I'm thinking a saddle upgrade might be in the cards in the future here as my rear end starts to get real unhappy at about the 30mi mark I've noticed. Do any of you have saddle recommendations for folks with wider sit bones?

I really like the Shimano Pro Stealth in it's wide sizeway. That being said, you should measure your sitbones to figure out the right size - wide hips do not necessarily mean wide sitbones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a loathsome bird posted:

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/media/madison/product-files/495267/MY21_Genesis_Fugio_30.pdf

Looks like it maxes out at 42t for a 1x or 50/34t for a 2x setup (but as pointed out above, both those options are going to be expensive and a 2x setup might be a hassle).

A Shimano GRX 1x only goes to 42t but you can buy bigger aftermarket rings that’ll be compatible with the crank.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

A Shimano GRX 1x only goes to 42t but you can buy bigger aftermarket rings that’ll be compatible with the crank.

I get that, but if they have 42t as the max 1x chainring in the frame spec doesn't that mean that you're going to hit the chainstay if you go bigger?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a loathsome bird posted:

I get that, but if they have 42t as the max 1x chainring in the frame spec doesn't that mean that you're going to hit the chainstay if you go bigger?

Maybe? You’d have to measure to see what would actually fit. There is usually a lot of margin built in.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

bicievino posted:

I really like the Shimano Pro Stealth in it's wide sizeway. That being said, you should measure your sitbones to figure out the right size - wide hips do not necessarily mean wide sitbones.

To add to this, if your rear end is sore in the proper place (sit bones) it could just be a conditioning thing. It takes some time for your butt to feel comfortable even with the perfect saddle.

If you find that you do need a different saddle, I recommend the Ergon SM line, they have a wide option and also gel options I think.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
is a Kilo WT set up as a freewheel single speed a good option for city riding+gravel?

I want fat tires and single speed solidity/simplicity for tooling around poo poo Boston area roads, and the price is very right, but I’m worried that I’ll get stuck somewhere without the appropriate gear if I decide to take it out on a trail or gravel ride.

Half the reviews seem to love it and think it’s an even better value than the TT Pro and the other half say that the frame’s way too old and there are way better bikes to be had. That may be true, but it’s hard to beat $550, esp when you compare Reynolds 520 and poo poo like the sugino crank/alex rims/tektro brakes BikesDirect tosses in to the unbranded generic poo poo that everybody else in the price bracket seems to use.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

drat bikesdirect still looks like it did 12 years ago, when it it looked like it was designed 12 years before that

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ok Comboomer posted:

is a Kilo WT set up as a freewheel single speed a good option for city riding+gravel?

I want fat tires and single speed solidity/simplicity for tooling around poo poo Boston area roads, and the price is very right, but I’m worried that I’ll get stuck somewhere without the appropriate gear if I decide to take it out on a trail or gravel ride.

Half the reviews seem to love it and think it’s an even better value than the TT Pro and the other half say that the frame’s way too old and there are way better bikes to be had. That may be true, but it’s hard to beat $550, esp when you compare Reynolds 520 and poo poo like the sugino crank/alex rims/tektro brakes BikesDirect tosses in to the unbranded generic poo poo that everybody else in the price bracket seems to use.

I commuted downtown on a single speed, and cuz of the hills, I was running 42x20. 120rpm only gets you 20.4mph.
Extremely spinny but never got caught out on steep grades (steepest I'd regularly ride is Park St up to the State House).
That'd probably be good for riding flat on true gravel.

The WT ships with at 16T, though, so you'd want a 34t chainring to get comparable gearing. Might be worth getting a freewheel instead of chainring, depending on what you see for sale and if you have the tools. I have a freewheel wrench if you need to borrow it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyone have a comment on the quality of carbon wheels from LightBicycles or Nextie?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Anyone have a comment on the quality of carbon wheels from LightBicycles or Nextie?

Good poo poo (I've got 3 wheelsets on LB rims), but the prices have crept up over the years to the point that I question if it's worth the savings vs. a domestic wheel with a full lifetime warranty.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

semi related I’ve had good luck with ican wheels

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait am I seeing this right that a LB carbon rim is $170 per? Compared to we-are-one at $450 a pop? I'm casually not super seriously shopping around for a 50mm rim for a 29x3 wheel build so that is interesting.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Biggus Duckus posted:

To add to this, if your rear end is sore in the proper place (sit bones) it could just be a conditioning thing. It takes some time for your butt to feel comfortable even with the perfect saddle.

If you find that you do need a different saddle, I recommend the Ergon SM line, they have a wide option and also gel options I think.

I suppose it could be that, but I've logged ~860mi from late November til now, and that's not counting any mileage from the summer before I started using Strava. There's probably not a clean answer for this, but is there any sort of "goal" I should be working towards to figure out if it indeed is a conditioning thing?

I've currently just got the stock Volt WTB 142 on there and it's definitely not terrible, it would just be cool to snag something comfier for longer rides when that dull rear end ache starts to set in lol.

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks! Gonna measure my donk and start looking at a few.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Your rear end should stop hurting after about 2-4 weeks of consistent riding in proper gear. If you're wearing underwear and gym shorts you're probably chafing yourself up massively and that will extend the time it takes.

If your rear end is still hurting, its probably the wrong saddle for you.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I'm casually not super seriously shopping around for a 50mm rim for a 29x3 wheel build so that is interesting.

I got my 50mm rims built by them some years ago. Communication was good, though they overreached on capability a bit. You could order offset drilling on the one 50mm model they had back then, but when the engineer sat down to model in CAD the actual hole locations, it was deemed not safe enough. They were transparent about it, but I was deep enough in the process that I didn’t want to switch vendors.
The rims were ultimately well built to the eye and survived my running around on trails on a rigid fat bike frame converted to 29x3. If it weren’t for those weird qr fat hubs, I would have sold the wheelset separate from the bike, as they were nice wheels.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

bicievino posted:

Good poo poo (I've got 3 wheelsets on LB rims), but the prices have crept up over the years to the point that I question if it's worth the savings vs. a domestic wheel with a full lifetime warranty.

Yeah probably this. For a normal wheelset definitely add up all the costs (shipping has been a challenge lately - either delays or high costs) and compare to the more affordable name-brand lines that have launched recently. If you want something weird (*cough* undrilled/son/onyx gravel wheels) it's a decent option.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

serious gaylord posted:

Your rear end should stop hurting after about 2-4 weeks of consistent riding in proper gear. If you're wearing underwear and gym shorts you're probably chafing yourself up massively and that will extend the time it takes.

If your rear end is still hurting, its probably the wrong saddle for you.
what if my whole body hurts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The spare bolts for the Madone brakes came in and I was able to make the adjustment I wanted on the rear.
First, I had to take off the old bolts. They were pretty chooched. One had no head exposed. I lucked out in getting a nib of solder in there and setting my hex key into the molten solder to take out the extra space. Don't think it would have worked if it weren't for the 3-4Nm of torque involved to bust it loose.

The last pair of pics there is the stuck bolt. One thing that caught me off guard is that the paired bolt on the other arm was a different length and didn't come to a fine point. More on that later.

This is a schematic of the adjustment process:

(I did take care of that out of alignment right pad)

There's 3 components:
- left and right springs connected by a center bolt, all hidden behind the center cam and cable. These are not adjustable afaict
- the top adjustment bolts, which sort of define the shape of the brake, the tightness with which it curls toward the brake track. Tightening increases the curve of the brake arm, effectively tightening it toward the brake track
- the side adjustment bolts, which affect the pad distance to the track, but very unintuitively, aren't independent on each side. Loosening the bolt brings the pad closer to the rim; tightening backs it off

Even though I took pictures of the depths of the old bolts, I tried to wing it from the top, hoping to touch the bolts as little as possible, to protect the hex holes from extra wear.
The procedure I arrived at was something like:

- tighten pairwise the top bolts until the pads are a few mm away from the track, at least on one side
- even out the pad gap from side to side. Here's where it took me a few iterations to figure it out: closing in one side's gap does open up the opposite gap. Iow, each bolt operates on both sides at once, roughly with the same amount of travel on each side. I can't picture how this kind of balance/feedback is accomplished. I guess the spring tension on one side pulls on the cam a certain amount, and the cam position affects the other arm. If one pad is touching the rim and the other is clear, you screw in the touching pad to add gap and also back out the gapped pad to narrow.
- once the side to side is balanced, check to see if the arms are balanced above the cam (they're a smidge off in the photo). If they're not balanced, the arms will close in at differing rates, pretty much the same woe you have with cantis. Whichever side is higher is looser, and you want to tighten in that side's top bolt, and possibly loosen the opposite top bolt. As you do this, the pads will rebalance, so...
- repeat pad gap balancing. Don't worry about total gap; that's addressed by the top bolts.
- finalize pad gap on both sides by symmetrically tightening or loosening the top bolts.

So the major bugbear I had here was that one of the springs was a lot looser than the other. So I was starting the whole process pretty imbalanced.
What PO or their shop had done to address this was to use a longer side bolt. It looks the same length as the top bolt, but has no loctite on it. You can see the reach of this long bolt (which I reused with some loctite) in the above pic, where the bolt comes out behind the brake arm and sits on that triangular landing. The right arm needs way more adjustment before the spring is tensioned enough.

The Trek bolt kit (527895) comes with side bolts for both front and rear (yeah, the brakes aren't even the same front to back), but not this fixit bolt for when your springs are out of whack.

Even though it was a long process, I didn't stress the new bolts much, and honestly, the whole process is much more predictable and precise than cantis. gently caress cantis. It was about the same as V-brakes once I used the long bolt, and would prob be faster the next time I needed to do it, especially if not starting with all bolts out.

Now to ride outside and see if I got the pads too tight. I'll put on the rear cover plate once everything is dialed in, even thought the cover doesn't obstruct the adjustment bolts.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 3, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Really enjoying following this process

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
:same:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Enjoying this, but am expecting to enjoy the discovery of how much lateral flex the wheels have even more.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cycling/canyon-handlebars-mathieu-van-der-poel-b1812080.html

Just Canyon things. Every day I’m reaffirmed by my decision to return it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Just came here to post that. Tell everyone you know.

Dodgy seatpost and lethal handlebars.

Also lmao that Van Der Poel still managed to do a lead out for his sprinter with half a handlebar.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 3, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone know what happened to Raleigh's line of nice, fun steel bikes? For a few years they had the Roper and Furley, and then eventually the Stuntman. But looking at their site now it looks like they've completely dropped anything steel or that had drop bars. Did their corporate owners make them a 'lifestyle' brand or something? It looks like Diamondback is in the same corporate family and they have more 'gravely' offerings.

Edit, after doing a little research it seems that line of bikes was referred to as the 'Landlord' series, and the guy who was the product manager responsible at Raleigh (last name Landsaat) left a few years ago. Bummer!

frogbs fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 3, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know what happened to Raleigh's line of nice, fun steel bikes? For a few years they had the Roper and Furley, and then eventually the Stuntman. But looking at their site now it looks like they've completely dropped anything steel or that had drop bars. Did their corporate owners make them a 'lifestyle' brand or something? It looks like Diamondback is in the same corporate family and they have more 'gravely' offerings.

They fired all the staff that designed those bikes four or five years ago and have been letting the brand languish.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think they couldn't sell any except with the ~50% off corporate discount (and why would you pay more if you knew about the discount?) so they gave up. I have my Tamland frameset set up for grocery runs so I still ride it more than any other bike

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bicievino posted:

They fired all the staff that designed those bikes four or five years ago and have been letting the brand languish.

Ah man what a bummer, my Tamland was an incredible value, especially with that easy to get corporate discount a few years ago.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I rode 70 miles today and had my first sealant shower

also everything people said about steel bikes is true

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Dodgy seatpost and lethal handlebars.

Lethal shifter clamps, prompted by having square handlebar ends, which are optimized for ????

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
TFW when you bought a canyon endurace 3 months ago and only just started riding it daily, feeling better than ever, and then this happens.

Unrelated: I just started the clip in pedal life. It’s amazing save for some numbness in my toes particularly on the left foot after 8~ miles (guess I need to adjust cleat or saddle or maybe even get a larger size shoe? Idk there’s too many variables, may spring for that bike fit service)

Does anyone use a “clip in to flat pedal adapter” when taking their bike short distances? I found https://www.flypedals.com/, not sure if it’s worth. Haven’t tried pedaling in normie shoes yet on clip ins but guessing it’s about it as awkward as w bike shoes

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Thom ZombieForm posted:

TFW when you bought a canyon endurace 3 months ago and only just started riding it daily, feeling better than ever, and then this happens.

Unrelated: I just started the clip in pedal life. It’s amazing save for some numbness in my toes particularly on the left foot after 8~ miles (guess I need to adjust cleat or saddle or maybe even get a larger size shoe? Idk there’s too many variables, may spring for that bike fit service)

Does anyone use a “clip in to flat pedal adapter” when taking their bike short distances? I found https://www.flypedals.com/, not sure if it’s worth. Haven’t tried pedaling in normie shoes yet on clip ins but guessing it’s about it as awkward as w bike shoes

Not worth, honestly. I ride my MTB short distances. If I have to ride my road bike to the store, I just use gym shoes and press on my spd-sl pedals poorly. But I don't want to use a $2000 bike for errands

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Haven’t tried pedaling in normie shoes yet on clip ins but guessing it’s about it as awkward as w bike shoes

Which pedal are you on? I find Shimano 3 bolt pedals to be fine for biking in normal shoes if you're not trying to go fast. I've commuted with normal shoes on SPD, but that's less pleasant.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My CX bike with SPD pedals has plastic removable “clips” on one side that provides a better platform for your foot. I mostly rode that bike 2.5 miles at a time commuting and they were fine.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Thom ZombieForm posted:

The endurace is completely fine, design wise

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Flypedals are a solid piece, but that means they're heavy enough to always be upside down. You have to do the "Look-style toe pickup" trick every time you get back on after a light or whatever.

I think they make sense if you have one bike and no allen wrenches. Swapping pedals takes what, 2 min?

The original kickstarter advertisment for them proposed a much different use case than I think most people intuitively consider - putting flats quickly on a pure road bike after a long ride for the jaunt to a cafe. I think it was like "after 100 miles take off those tight road shoes and slap these on, wear sandals to the cafe, profit."

Of course, what self respecting roadie doesn't wanna clip clop around the coffee shop to show off their $500 Sidis?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Use old school toe clips or fixed gear-style straps with flats and get the best of both worlds

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Except for maybe speedplays and eggbeaters most pedals are big enough to just ride on with regular shoes any ways.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Well, dropped car off for oil change and biked back a couple miles with my (non bike) trail shoes on spd sl, it was bearable, good to know that the product is quality though.

Now I just need to find how many bike commuting miles I need to offset the carbon footprint generated by producing my bike+gear so I can feel better about my life

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

my mom's cousin lost a big toe to a bike crank as a child, pictures like this really wig me out