Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Bape Culture posted:

I’ve got some massive silicone cubes. Is it possible for me to make a ghetto version of this ? Hmm

I think you would need two sets to even try. The way it works is basically that there are two nested silicone trays, with the bottom one being double-insulated, encouraging it to freeze from the top down. The bottom of the upper tray is perforated so that both chambers freeze together as one block.

Then, when your water is frozen solid, you can remove the inner chamber and use the bottom of the upper tray to snap the lower half of the ice block off, thus discarding the foggy bottom of the block and separating off the crystal clear top half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Bape Culture posted:

I’ve got some massive silicone cubes. Is it possible for me to make a ghetto version of this ? Hmm

Cook's Illustrated adapts Dave Arnold's version using silicone cubes and a baking dish. Dave Arnold's method is to use a small coleman cooler with the lid removed so you get one big block of ice.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
For me, $40 was about the perfect price point for this. It’s a total no fuss device, and the DIY alternative is like use a small cooler, get ice pick, get a knife, get a mallet, manually chisel out ice from a cooler. I love a good DIY manly feeling project, but I looked hard into my eyes in the mirror and at that moment I knew I’d never do that.

But this way, I will have legions of perfectly clear ice to impress upon the world.

My first cubes had some bubbles in them however, but I’ve learned to pour water in very slowly, which has basically removed that problem.

Thanks for the tip on silicone soaking up smells and stuff, I have this in our chest freezer that’s filled with mainly vacuum packed stuff, and we use our other freezers for the normal groceries/jobs.

If you were just working with a fridge/freezer combo this would likely be a pretty ridiculous purchase, but I thankfully had the room available.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I never had any of the Willett Family Estate before, and last night I managed to get a pour of the 4yo rye. I'm glad I never bought a bottle without tasting, cuz it's interesting, but the flavor profile was so strongly fruit and not enough of the rye spice I was hoping for. It's definitely not the whiskey for me.

OTOH, I also had a pour of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch C920 and wow :eyepop: It definitely punches at 132 proof, but the ethanol nose and burn isn't overwhelming. This is a fantastic bourbon and now I understand why it gets bought up so quickly.

A local store just did a barrel pick of a 10yo EC:

quote:

Elijah Craig Small Batch Single Barrel Select

Barreled On: 01/27/2011, Dumped On: 01/05/2021
Barrel #6022707 Warehouse EE, Floor 5
Bottle Age: 9 YRS & 11 MO, Bottle Proof: 94°, Total Production: 144 Bottles

Retail Price: $29.99

If the small batch is anything like this barrel proof, I definitely need to score a bottle.

----

I'm also still on the (likely impossible) search for a bottle of High West Midwinter's Night Dram. If anyone has one, I'd def make it worth your while. :negative:

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 27, 2021

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Casu Marzu posted:

I never had any of the Willett Family Estate before, and last night I managed to get a pour of the 4yo rye. I'm glad I never bought a bottle without tasting, cuz it's interesting, but the flavor profile was so strongly fruit and not enough of the rye spice I was hoping for. It's definitely not the whiskey for me.

OTOH, I also had a pour of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof Batch C920 and wow :eyepop: It definitely punches at 132 proof, but the ethanol nose and burn isn't overwhelming. This is a fantastic bourbon and now I understand why it gets bought up so quickly.

A local store just did a barrel pick of a 10yo EC:

If the small batch is anything like this barrel proof, I definitely need to score a bottle.

----

I'm also still on the (likely impossible) search for a bottle of High West Midwinter's Night Dram. If anyone has one, I'd def make it worth your while. :negative:

The pick isn't going to blow your pants off like batches of ECBP can, but it should be a solid daily drinker at half the price. I mentioned this in discord; I wouldn't buy a bottle of EC small batch unless it was barrel a pick.

MWND is going to be tough to find at a fair price right now (if you see it on the shelf it will probably be over $150), you're better off just waiting until October when act 9 should drop; and hunt for Double Rye! barrel picks in the meantime - sometimes they're even better than MWND

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
How is Templeton Rye?

Please tell me it sucks. Because I just lost a bottle to a shelf collapse, unopened.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GD_American posted:

How is Templeton Rye?

Please tell me it sucks. Because I just lost a bottle to a shelf collapse, unopened.

Mehhhh, it's okay. I've had a lot better rye than theirs.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Templeton rye is mgp product. I wouldn't be broken up about it

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I know this isn’t the cocktail thread, but I haven’t really posted there before. I’m going to try my first ever boulevardier later tonight I think, with my fancy clear ice cubes.

I’m also making my first ever milk punch, for those that are familiar with those. My wife loves pina coladas, so I’m clarifying a big batch of pina colada to store in the fridge. On demand pina colada sounds pretty amazing, I’ll let you all know how it turns out.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

DoctaFun posted:

I know this isn’t the cocktail thread, but I haven’t really posted there before. I’m going to try my first ever boulevardier later tonight I think, with my fancy clear ice cubes.

I’m also making my first ever milk punch, for those that are familiar with those. My wife loves pina coladas, so I’m clarifying a big batch of pina colada to store in the fridge. On demand pina colada sounds pretty amazing, I’ll let you all know how it turns out.

Come hang out, clear ice is nerdy af. I spent more time than I care to admit working on it years ago. Just don’t ask us for a cocktail that’s not too sweet.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
There‘s a deal for Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof around here for around 25€ instead of 33€. I love Bulleit bourbon and think Knob Creek / Knob Creek Rye is okay. Is the Rittenhose right for me?

Edit:

Casu Marzu posted:

A bottle of Rittenhouse 100 is cheap as hell and it's a fantastic rye for the price

Sounds good to me!

Neco fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 1, 2021

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Follow up on my cocktail post.

Boulevardier gets a B+ from me! Personally though, I’m not used to the bitterness that Campari adds to a drink, so I needed to dial it back just slightly. My recipe called for:

1.5oz bourbon
1oz Campari
1 oz sweet vermouth
Orange peel garnish

I cut that Campari back to 3/4 oz, and stirred with ice for a longer time, and poured over a fancy clear ice cube. It started off a touch on the bitter side for what I’m used to, but as it slowly diluted over time it got better and better! Definitely recommend trying it.

I have a bit of a sweet tooth though, so I’m his may be sacrilege, or turn out too sweet for others!

At this point, I think my whisky related cocktail ratings, from highest to lowest, are:

Amaretto sour
Gold rush / old fashioned
Whiskey smash
Boston sour( whiskey sour with egg white)
Boulevardier
Whiskey sour (no egg white)
Manhattan*

Need to add some more to the list though, need to pickup some absinthe to try a sazerac!

* need to revisit this as my last one was made with willett pot still and it sucked.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Somebody recommend me a nice Irish whiskey in the $50-$70 range. I was thinking Redbreast 12 but I've already had that recently and want to try something new. I'm considering Green Spot since it sounds like it's pretty well regarded around here.

Also suggest an Irish whiskey that is truly awful. As a former Catholic I want to suffer a little in this time of Lent.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Tullamore Dew is pretty terrible I think, enjoy your penance!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's not The Worst, but we drank a lot of Paddy in college and it was not a great experience ever

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Somebody recommend me a nice Irish whiskey in the $50-$70 range. I was thinking Redbreast 12 but I've already had that recently and want to try something new. I'm considering Green Spot since it sounds like it's pretty well regarded around here.

Also suggest an Irish whiskey that is truly awful. As a former Catholic I want to suffer a little in this time of Lent.

Awful how? Because Proper 12 is from Conor McGregor if you want to support an awful person too.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Alarbus posted:

Awful how? Because Proper 12 is from Conor McGregor if you want to support an awful person too.

Eeeeeh, I don't follow fight sports but I'm vaguely aware of him. I thought he was just a spokesperson, or is it his company too?

Thanks for the suggestions. Pretty sure my local bottle shop has Paddy in stock so I'll probably go with that?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's pretty much his company iirc.

None of the cheap Irish whiskey is particularly bad I'd say, by virtue of Irish whiskey being generally a pretty light spirit. There's a lot more bad scotch than bad Irish whiskey, imo.

The worst Irish whiskeys I've had were all supermarket brands.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

DoctaFun posted:

Follow up on my cocktail post.

Boulevardier gets a B+ from me! Personally though, I’m not used to the bitterness that Campari adds to a drink, so I needed to dial it back just slightly. My recipe called for:

1.5oz bourbon
1oz Campari
1 oz sweet vermouth
Orange peel garnish

I cut that Campari back to 3/4 oz, and stirred with ice for a longer time, and poured over a fancy clear ice cube. It started off a touch on the bitter side for what I’m used to, but as it slowly diluted over time it got better and better! Definitely recommend trying it.

I have a bit of a sweet tooth though, so I’m his may be sacrilege, or turn out too sweet for others!

At this point, I think my whisky related cocktail ratings, from highest to lowest, are:

Amaretto sour
Gold rush / old fashioned
Whiskey smash
Boston sour( whiskey sour with egg white)
Boulevardier
Whiskey sour (no egg white)
Manhattan*

Need to add some more to the list though, need to pickup some absinthe to try a sazerac!

* need to revisit this as my last one was made with willett pot still and it sucked.

Definitely give a Manhattan another visit and try an Improved Whiskey Cocktail or a Coffee Old Fashioned! Depending on the coffee liqueur you use, you may have to add some simple to make it a proper dessert drink.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Professor Wayne posted:

Definitely give a Manhattan another visit and try an Improved Whiskey Cocktail or a Coffee Old Fashioned! Depending on the coffee liqueur you use, you may have to add some simple to make it a proper dessert drink.

The coffee old fashioned has been a real revelation to me in the last few months. I got Mr Black on a whim and it's been so good compared with Kahlua. Add in a bar spoon or two of simple though to balance it out. I make mine either Knob Creek 9 year, but I bet a lot would taste good. The big difference maker is a twist of orange peel. That really elevates it!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:hmmyes:

Mr Black is fantastic.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If we’re looking at an improved whiskey cocktail for dessert, late I have been enjoying adding a split portion of licor 43 and amaretto to mine in place of the maraschino, and using black walnut bitters. Tastes like an Italian pastry.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

oh good, trump's stupid loving tariff on scotch is over
maybe prices will go back to normal and I can start to get laphroaig and springbank at reasonable prices again

zhel
Aug 2, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

I would definitely recommend Green Spot. So much apple. I have a bottle of that and Yellow Spot and both are good. Looking forward to trying Red Spot one day.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

How is Templeton Rye?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-templeton-rye-settlement-20150714-story.html

They're basically a marketing gimmick.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Deceptive Thinker posted:

oh good, trump's stupid loving tariff on scotch is over
maybe prices will go back to normal and I can start to get laphroaig and springbank at reasonable prices again

I've had mixed results buying stuff from Europe to ship to the US so this makes me happy.

I recently ordered a pour of Highland Park 25 after dinner one night. It was one of the best things I've ever tasted. I was still thinking about it days afterward, and ended up buying a bottle. It's....not the same. :negative: I've had disappointing neck pours before so I'm hoping it'll open up and reveal its delicious secrets after being opened and sitting on my shelf for a few weeks.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Professor Wayne posted:

I’ll try these, although I’m not a big coffee guy so I may skip that one.

I did pickup a bottle of allspice dram last night, and made my first Lion’s Tail today. That was definitely good!

2 oz bourbon
1/2 oz allspice dram
1/2 oz lime juice
Bar spoon simple syrup
2 dashes angostura

Shake with ice, strain.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Magma take: bourbon is better than scotch, and the only reason everyone in the world doesn’t acknowledge that is because of Old World elitism.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For a long time I felt bourbon was the best value category. The low to mid priced stuff you could buy was leaps and bounds better than similarly priced bottles of scotch etc. I think there's definitely been some shift in that bottles I used to buy for cheap no-problem (ie:Welller) have gotten more expensive, but I still think the middle market stuff is fantastic/amazing. But honestly it's a taste thing, I know some people who really don't like the bourbon but can drink/enjoy scotch. That might be the case for you but in matters of taste I dunno how you separate out marketing, expectation, price, culture etc and judge something just on it's so called merits.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Bourbon and scotch are distinct grain spirits and imo lateral comparisons between the two seem a little bit like apples and oranges.

e: or maybe like, pomelos to mandarins

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 6, 2021

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Fair enough. An amendment: Bourbon is very good. And in a fair world, it would have equal status with scotch whisky in the international marketplace.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Bourbon can be incredibly good. The best bourbons are world-class spirits, without question. That said, with regards to its flavor, bourbon is significantly more restrictive a category than scotch is. Widen "bourbon" to "American whiskey" so you can include rye, wheat whiskey, corn whiskey, etc. and you can start to compete with scotch on the range of flavors available, but even then I'm not sure as a category I'd take it over the whole world of scotch.

I think the fact that pretty much all American whiskey styles (and in particular all bourbons) are required to be aged only in new American oak barrels restricts their flavors significantly more than the mashbill restrictions scotch is produced under. Pretty much everything tastes first and foremost of vanilla and wood, and then you get into the details.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ogmius815 posted:

Magma take: bourbon is better than scotch, and the only reason everyone in the world doesn’t acknowledge that is because of Old World elitism.

There's definitely some elitism going on among a lot of scotch drinkers that pull their nose up at bourbon, and that's undeserved, but thankfully this is changing. For the past decade or more a lot of whisk(e)y people are on the flavor chase and are very much into trying new things. Bourbons are absolutely part of that.

However, quality wise, sure, it can be just as good, but flavor wise bourbon has nothing on scotch. Bourbon has a very narrow range of flavors while scotch has an incredibly wide gamut. There is no comparison. Not even close.

If you don't like the flavor profile of bourbon, well tough poo poo because they all taste by and large the same. Don't like a scotch? Try some from a different region and chances are you'll find something you like.

This is largely due to bourbon having a very strict set of laws governing its production. This ensures quality and consistency but also means that there is not a lot of wiggle room for producers to differentiate their product. One of the biggest contributors to this fact is having to use new charred american oak barrels every time. This makes it that the wood influence is the biggest contributor to bourbon's flavor profile. Second to that is the 51% corn mash bill requirement. Together with the oak is what makes bourbon bourbon, and it's absolutely fine and delicious, but other grains like barley just inherently have more complex flavors and aromas and this requirement makes it that bourbon has painted itself into a corner.

A big factor is also climate. In hot climates like kentucky where bourbon traditionally is made maturation occurs far quicker than in more temperate climates. This means that there is a LOT of wood influence. Again this new oak requirement limits you in aging for long periods of time. In places like Scotland you can leave a refill cask for decades and it won't go all woody and tannic, (or just straight up evaporate completely), all the while developing a complexity that most bourbon could only dream of.

Of course, finely aged bourbon absolutely exists, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Then there's availability. If bourbon is ever to be anywhere near as successful as scotch in the global market it needs to get its poo poo together wrt. volume and availability. This whole bottle chasing rigamarole and secondary market price gouging that you have to endure to get the good stuff keeps it out of reach of the vast majority of people, and the non-americans who are actually interested (like me) are dissuaded by this. I've been wanting to get a bottle of Old Forester 1920 for a while now, which I don't think is even a rare release, but there is no distribution in Europe so what am I supposed to do there? Pay someone three times the amount it's actually worth just to get it here? Nah, instead I'll just buy a Scotch (or Irish).

Now, America has an opportunity here to change this with the rise in popularity of domestic malt whiskey and also light whiskey. Bourbon regulations are just too restrictive, as I said it ensures a consistent quality product but hinders innovation. Light whiskey for example is allowed to be distilled to a higher proof, allowing distillers to have more control over the cuts they make that define the profile of their new make. They can also use other barrels than new charred oak, giving more flexibility in aging. Using other grains than corn gives lots more opportunities there. Heck, even using other types of corn like blue corn like Balcones does can yield great results.

Lots of smaller "craft" distilleries are innovating with these things and they are making some excellent stuff (Stranahan's, Westland, Balcones, New Riff, etc).

I'm sure that in a decade or two the American whiskey industry will have caught up more to scotch but this will be because of new distilleries innovating, and not because of the scotch snobs finally realizing bourbon is better.

Because it's not. :q:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

so the death of a family friend resulted in me acquiring this

pretty cool to have a bottle of whiskey almost twice my age, but i'm afraid to open it

I also got a couple bottles of this calvert extra which apparently is from sometime in 1945-77 according to the format of the bottle stamp. i cracked this one open and had a little taste, it's very butterscotch-y

are these at all notable or interesting? i know nothing of super old whiskey.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Not really tbh. Seagram's is bottom barrel stuff today. I think it was a bit more upmarket in the 60's but it's still not very noteworthy. I've never heard of the other brand.

What I would do is to get a contemporary Seagram's to compare it with and to do a little tasting. That would be fun! (Well, it's my idea of fun anyway.)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A bottle label with a picture of drinks in glasses is sure saying something. I’m not sure what

E: “Serving suggestion”

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The whiskey doesn't really continue to age like wine does. So when people have these old bottles, it's really just 3 year old (or whatever age) whiskey that's been sitting in a bottle for years.

Wine and champagne on the other hand will continue to age, given they are stored properly.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

The whiskey doesn't really continue to age like wine does. So when people have these old bottles, it's really just 3 year old (or whatever age) whiskey that's been sitting in a bottle for years.

Wine and champagne on the other hand will continue to age, given they are stored properly.

Still, it is an interesting time capsule.

Processes were different and less automated, master distillers were different, climate was different during the aging, and at least with american whiskey, older bottles were usually aged longer than the modern version of the same expression.
"Dusty" hunting is a real thing and trade value reflects the age of the bottle even though it hasn't aged within the bottle

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My dad gave me an old bottle of cutty sark that I keep meaning to open and see how it tastes. I dunno how old it is or why he bought it, but it comes in a whole box and everything. It's in a leaded crystal decanter now that I think about it, not sure on the safety of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Carillon posted:

My dad gave me an old bottle of cutty sark that I keep meaning to open and see how it tastes. I dunno how old it is or why he bought it, but it comes in a whole box and everything. It's in a leaded crystal decanter now that I think about it, not sure on the safety of that.

Spirits are above EPA limits in less than a week in lead crystal. That old... Yikes.