Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
also a family being considered "proper irish" post-diaspora is a little hosed up but not going to hang that one on echi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
gently caress

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
maybe people crave being connected to a wider culture because american capitalism strips community and belonging from people to better exploit them

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bhodi posted:

maybe people crave being connected to a wider culture because american capitalism strips community and belonging from people to better exploit them
yeah i try not to extrapolate from "my culture, as expressed where located, kind of sucks" to "therefore all culture everywhere sucks" because maybe mine just sucks and that's it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bhodi posted:

i think that's fine

but instead of actually attempting to be a part of their locality or neighbourhood they lay claim to something they aren't. my family isn't irish and i think it's weird to pretend that they are. there's no tradition that they passed down, no food or culture, the only thing is that they like to say "we're irish" and then talk up st patrick's day. they don't actually want to be a part of a culture, they don't want to do any of the work involved in being connected, they just want the lip service of being able to pretend.

meanwhile they'll go out of their way to poo poo on people around them. not every family is like this but a lot of them are

i also don't think it's privilege to "stand outside of it"

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah i try not to extrapolate from "my culture, as expressed where located, kind of sucks" to "therefore all culture everywhere sucks" because maybe mine just sucks and that's it

definitely not what i'm going for here. there's lots of great cultural connections people have and proliferate. i just think, specifically, that claiming irishness and st patrick's day in north america is weird. this often goes hand-in-hand with "well the irish were indentured servants therefore black people don't need reparations."

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah appropriation isn't cool, im just saying i think that's whats driving a lot of it since most of our cultural options are deeply sad and steeped in irony (MLK jr, columbus, thanksgiving)

plus we really fuckin love an excuse to drink, any excuse

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mediaphage posted:

but instead of actually attempting to be a part of their locality or neighbourhood they lay claim to something they aren't. my family isn't irish and i think it's weird to pretend that they are. there's no tradition that they passed down, no food or culture, the only thing is that they like to say "we're irish" and then talk up st patrick's day. they don't actually want to be a part of a culture, they don't want to do any of the work involved in being connected, they just want the lip service of being able to pretend.

meanwhile they'll go out of their way to poo poo on people around them. not every family is like this but a lot of them are
my family is irish and acts basically the same lol

mediaphage posted:

i also don't think it's privilege to "stand outside of it"
yeah. at least for north american irishness.

mediaphage posted:

definitely not what i'm going for here. there's lots of great cultural connections people have and proliferate. i just think, specifically, that claiming irishness and st patrick's day in north america is weird. this often goes hand-in-hand with "well the irish were indentured servants therefore black people don't need reparations."
i should have said i speak for myself there. but agreed for the rest, if you have like even a single inkling of self-awareness and/or social consciousness

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

my favorite is when “Irish” American identities collide with WW2 boosterism

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

more on topic but i'm watching resident alien and it's a fun little show if you like alan twodicks

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i live in a land of plastic paddies and olive garden italians. i also get mad when people list like six western european countries as their lineage. your family being irish welsh scottish and french canadian means nothing if youve been in america for 4+ generations and you have no major ties to the culture.

but i get it. i hate myself for being half white too. i luckily have a cauldron of bullshit and traditions to draw on since both my parents are fobs. id certainly try to spice up my origin story too if i didnt have one. mine is pretty cursed though

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bhodi posted:

yeah appropriation isn't cool, im just saying i think that's whats driving a lot of it since most of our cultural options are deeply sad and steeped in irony (MLK jr, columbus, thanksgiving)

plus we really fuckin love an excuse to drink, any excuse

fair tho i just use the excuse of "its hot and im thirsty"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

more on topic but i'm watching resident alien and it's a fun little show if you like alan twodicks

i havent heard too many other people talking about it so its probably gonna get cancelled which will be a bummer cause its good

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

i havent heard too many other people talking about it so its probably gonna get cancelled which will be a bummer cause its good

i'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't get at least a season 2. i know syfy is awful about keeping shows around but how much original programming do they even have these days

matti
Mar 31, 2019

a report: "this beautiful fantastic" is probably the worst movie ive ever watched all the way through

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mediaphage posted:

the worst part about st p in north america is how many people use it to pretend they’re irish. like my cousin (who’s actually in my parents generation) will post things on my ig “that’s your irish coming out.” blah blah blah. she gets super offended when i tell her i’m not irish, just an american mutt

like maybe my grandmother was an immigrant but all the culture i got out of that was poverty so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

people are so desperate to have some kind of romanticized identity and i find the whole thing super grating

if you just want to be considered an american and no more, move to ireland

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

if you just want to be considered an american and no more, move to ireland

pretty obviously not my point?

besides i don't live in the us

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

i'd be pretty surprised if it doesn't get at least a season 2. i know syfy is awful about keeping shows around but how much original programming do they even have these days

i dont even know whats on that channel. i just use the internet to watch it

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

the magicians is probably my favorite stoner show

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Casual Encountess posted:

the magicians is probably my favorite stoner show

i loved it and i thought the books were heinous

Shaggar posted:

i dont even know whats on that channel. i just use the internet to watch it

:yossame:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

dredd is so good, it was the last movie I saw with my dad before my parents hosed off to the east coast

it's SO GOOD

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

as an irish person, i appreciate the posts on culture itt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kenny Logins posted:

its p good. the writing is all over the place i guess cause its network tv, but the acting is dece and theres some good jokes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also, im finishing up adrian tchaikowski doors of eden, and i think its got some good representation of trans/gay people in it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1367172246830161921
ill make this point again: almost every piece of nerd (or nerd-adjacent) media, no matter how bad, has some contrarian willing to defend it, saying that is was misunderstood or ahead of its time or better than you remember or a hidden gem. ive even seen some mutterings in defense of the star wars prequels.

ive never seen a single person step up in defense of the simpsons seasons 12+. not once

i like some eps in seasons 13 and 14 just because i remember watching them as a kid.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gonna claim the quad

suck it rotor :hehe:

e: gently caress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

the lady from silicon valley does a great job too

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

its p good. the writing is all over the place i guess cause its network tv, but the acting is dece and theres some good jokes
it wouldn't work without twodicks who can both commit to the bit but also have a lot of fun with it. his delivery is most of the show but it's pretty fun

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Carthag Tuek posted:

as an irish person, i appreciate the posts on culture itt

hell is the boston st patricks day parade. but cool fact: schools in boston and the surrounding suburb cities used to get March 17th off as Evacuation day, the day we beat the british out of Boston. washington's first victory of the revolution, even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_Day_(Massachusetts)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Casual Encountess posted:

hell is the boston st patricks day parade. but cool fact: schools in boston and the surrounding suburb cities used to get March 17th off as Evacuation day, the day we beat the british out of Boston. washington's first victory of the revolution, even.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_Day_(Massachusetts)

im extremely not irish but i figured it would be appropriate to claim i was

i do hate the english though, and black 47 is a fantastic movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6znv9iBGX6w

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Carthag Tuek posted:

gonna claim the quad

suck it rotor :hehe:

e: gently caress

nice try, kid [flicks cigarette butt away]

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

please, rotor. he had a family

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

rotor posted:

:negative:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
in Tenet. in the movie Tenet, where they’re going backwards in time. when they spend a week going backwards in time. do they have to suck pee into their dickhole and then puke up water

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

indigi posted:

in Tenet. in the movie Tenet, where they’re going backwards in time. when they spend a week going backwards in time. do they have to suck pee into their dickhole and then puke up water

yes, also poo into their butts

the truly depraved go through the turnstile multiple times so they can poop back and forth forever, with themselves

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
only if they're holding the reverse matter up their Butt

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Chris Knight posted:

only if they're holding the reverse matter up their Butt

once they go through the turnstyle everything in their butt becomes reverse matter

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
turdrut

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a stream of cum just entered my dick and it felt amazing but now i gotta jack off until i go soft :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Starting a restaurant in the Tenet universe where I suck turds in my butt and spit out gourmet food