Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Getting into keyboards in a weird way. Looking at cool + good custom boards, bought a cheap factory board I mentioned earlier to dabble in switches and now I'm trying to figure out where it was mass produced through clues in the (lovely) software.

Then I stumble upon this.

utamaru fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Linus did a video on it, if you're curious.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

lol, I'll check it out. This is already breaking my brain though, not sure how much more I can handle.

e: ok so chassepot was founded in 2012, and they only sell one product? I'm so confused, I initially thought this was another rebranded chinese board. Maybe they outsourced the production there and the factory just went with it? Software looks like the same garbage I'm using right now. I.. someone help.

utamaru fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 5, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm sure there are more unpleasant keyboards to use out there.
By God I can't think of one.

Side note: christ, half as much for the Freestyle 2's tenting kit (which I mostly just need for the wrist/palm rests thanks to my lovely office desk/chair's forced angles) as for the actual keyboard. Either the kb is underpriced or someone is making an absolute killing on injection molded plastic.

e: taking advantage of being the last post. Having an issue with lining up the right half of the Freestyle. Most of the keystrokes my job requires are arrow keys & Enter for navigating an old-rear end terminal interface. If I line up the home row as a "neutral" position I'm constantly bending my hand/wrist outward to use the arrows, which is what caused all these issues in the first place. If I line up the arrows I'm bending and stretching to reach all the other keys and have to just peck (which, unfortunately, is the option that's actually working so far). The latter ends up something like this, making the arrows somewhat comfortable and regular typing uncomfortable rather than regular typing fairly comfortable and arrows outright painful:

How should I be lining this up to minimize how much I have to twist/bend my wrists? Muscle weakness in the outer fingers from nerve issues means I can only reach out so far on the right side.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 5, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Hare-brained idiot thought from a hare-brained idiot:

Do you do an input, then arrow over, then input, then arrow over some more? If so, would it be possible via software to have a second "layer" where you just bind something in your home row (say, J, I, K, L) as Left, Up, Down, Right? Then just toggle between the layers either with something like a CAPS toggle or (comedy option) some kind of USB foot pedal?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

utamaru posted:

Getting into keyboards in a weird way. Looking at cool + good custom boards, bought a cheap factory board I mentioned earlier to dabble in switches and now I'm trying to figure out where it was mass produced through clues in the (lovely) software.

This is so bizarre. I absolutely hate it, but I would absolutely love to see something like it except not bad.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

Hare-brained idiot thought from a hare-brained idiot:

Do you do an input, then arrow over, then input, then arrow over some more? If so, would it be possible via software to have a second "layer" where you just bind something in your home row (say, J, I, K, L) as Left, Up, Down, Right? Then just toggle between the layers either with something like a CAPS toggle or (comedy option) some kind of USB foot pedal?

Not a hare-brained idiot thing at all and definitely something I've considered. To condense it down, the routine at its most basic is roughly:
down, shift-home, (numbers), enter (repeatedly until it finally processes), enter
fill in a string (arrowing over to where new text needs to begin), 3x enter, fill in another string same way, several dozen enter keys (or just hold the button)
f5, fill in a string no arrows, 6x enter, same original string procedure, f12
5 enters, 3 letter code, f12, f9, alt tab to paste the string I scripted F9 to save
repeat
over and over

So it's mostly just a lot of enter and right arrow.
It gets much more complicated when I'm not on my current project of "some 15,000 nearly identical entries".

I've been tinkering with scripts to automate all that I can of it, but the quirks of three separate layers of software was too much to do it with an external program and I'm fighting my way around terminal/server communication and the lack of signal strings that causes a few steps to lock up. So for now it's still all manual.

My fallback is, indeed, adding a third layer through software somehow (the Freestyle 2 has a built in second layer but it's non programmable, the programmable one is another $100-150). Not my ideal for several reasons, not least our software using literally every key to do something, but a fallback.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

drat, that's a lot :(

I didn't realize you were already on a second layer; yeah, nevermind then heh.

If you had already posted about the foot-pedal layer, then maybe that was where I got the idea from after all :v:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Zarin posted:

drat, that's a lot :(

I didn't realize you were already on a second layer; yeah, nevermind then heh.

If you had already posted about the foot-pedal layer, then maybe that was where I got the idea from after all :v:

Nah, second layer is hardware level. Freestyle 2 is technically an 80% if I have my definitions right, so the numpad and several control buttons are on a second layer with a dedicated control button.
And yes, it's a lot. It's telling that on the same hardware I had no issues for the year and a half prior to working on this system, and once I was swapped over things rapidly got very bad. But hey, 40 years of "efficient use of budget" by never updating anything!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

utamaru posted:

holy loving poo poo that is cursed.
I'm impressed and I have seen some poo poo.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Request for the thread: I have a friend who is just having a fuckin' awful time of it dealing with the Corsair iCue software. I guess it just keeps doing dumb poo poo and is overall just making her mad as hell.

Was it this thread that discussed different open-source softwares that can be a single source for almost any/all RGB stuff in a machine, allowing users to avoid using proprietary software that comes with each device?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have so many questions.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

holy loving poo poo that is cursed.

the F is in weird arrow shaped island cluster and the J isn't but they both still seem to have scooped profiles like they're still supposed to be home keys and the T is offset from the top row and the space bars are different sizes and what the gently caress is going on here

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This keyboard is violence

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thirst Mutilator posted:

the F is in weird arrow shaped island cluster and the J isn't but they both still seem to have scooped profiles like they're still supposed to be home keys and the T is offset from the top row and the space bars are different sizes and what the gently caress is going on here

oh oh oh don't worry, we got a fix for that.
https://store.aeternus.co/products/gb-dss-solarized-dark?variant=38105709969588

r1 TFGH arrows (and a bbq key)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Zarin posted:

Request for the thread: I have a friend who is just having a fuckin' awful time of it dealing with the Corsair iCue software. I guess it just keeps doing dumb poo poo and is overall just making her mad as hell.

Was it this thread that discussed different open-source softwares that can be a single source for almost any/all RGB stuff in a machine, allowing users to avoid using proprietary software that comes with each device?

Take a look at project Aurora

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

CyberPingu posted:

Take a look at project Aurora

Neat

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I decided that, if I have the patience to paint an entire army of Ultramarines, I probably have the patience to lube some keyboard switches; so I'm going to try and fix the leaf ping on my Glorious Pandas by lubing them. I've got a guide to fixing the leaf ping, along with some Krytox 205g0, some TriboSys 3203 and some tiny brushes. Hopefully, I won't ruin them through over-lubing!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

utamaru posted:

Reminds me a little of the datalux which a poster in the previous thread tracked down because they liked it. This one's quite used but here's an example on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Datalux-Ciroue-White-Usb-Space-Saver-Keyboard-Muguw-Dd-e231/174550447928

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Got my first set of nice keycaps in the shape of GMK Kaiju.

Not my board, but they look like this:

Will be nice to have something cool looking.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
I was eyeing those off earlier this year. They look so cool, but were too pricey for me

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Screama posted:

I was eyeing those off earlier this year. They look so cool, but were too pricey for me

Yeah I知 trying really hard to talk myself into one of those fancy GMK sets. $150-$200 feels like so much though. :sigh:

I did at least talk myself into a set of Akko Neons as sort of a half step. Looking forward to when those arrive in a few months from AliExpress.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Worth remembering that any GMK set will resell for more than you purchased it for. The same is not so for AliExpress caps.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

feedback loop posted:

Worth remembering that any GMK set will resell for more than you purchased it for. The same is not so for AliExpress caps.

Yeah I値l probably talk myself into it next time I see a set that I really like.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BGrifter posted:

Yeah I知 trying really hard to talk myself into one of those fancy GMK sets. $150-$200 feels like so much though. :sigh:

I did at least talk myself into a set of Akko Neons as sort of a half step. Looking forward to when those arrive in a few months from AliExpress.

I'm taking a bit of a sabbatical from GMK, particularly after their recent decision to not run GMK Retrowave. Not because I particularly liked Retrowave, but because they said they decided no to run it because it infringes on IP since someone else has already run a set that is vaguely in the same style (80's vaporwave), except it isn't at all.

There's a lotta hullabaloo that I'm not gonna go into but the short of it is that I'm not paying them $300+/set to babysit the designers of this hobby when I can get twice as many keys out of epbt for less than half the price.

I guess that I'm saying is...
Please Consider ePBT Aesthetic.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I'm down to Carbon and Sky Dolch as my only remaining GMK kits but I really wish I hadn't sold my Laser kit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I have enough keyboards at the moment but I bought the hell out of the print of that deskmat design. Thanks for the link!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Midjack posted:

I have enough keyboards at the moment but I bought the hell out of the print of that deskmat design. Thanks for the link!

wait wait... the print on 1stGarden's website is not a deskmat, it's a print. (it is FULLY sick though. I got one in metallic)

Deskmats will be available from vendors with the set on Monday.

e: there's a surprise deskmat that hasn't been posted yet also. That's the one I'm getting.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i decided to reserve a GMMK pro despite actually kinda needing the numpad
and also the fact i already have a regular GMMK

i am still debating if its worth buying 3 whole-rear end boxes of glorious pandas to use on it when it gets here because god drat theyre like 25 bucks a box

also i live in the UK so im gonna have to swap " and @ around and remap them

Gunder
May 22, 2003

hbag posted:

i decided to reserve a GMMK pro despite actually kinda needing the numpad
and also the fact i already have a regular GMMK

i am still debating if its worth buying 3 whole-rear end boxes of glorious pandas to use on it when it gets here because god drat theyre like 25 bucks a box

also i live in the UK so im gonna have to swap " and @ around and remap them

FYI, the glorious pandas have some pretty nasty leaf ping when unlubed. I got them with my GMMK TKL, and initially thought that the awful metallic resonance coming from it during typing was due to a noisy case, but after swapping in Kaihl Box Whites, the noise vanished. I知 gonna try and fix them with some lube next week, as the tactile feel is :discourse:.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gunder posted:

FYI, the glorious pandas have some pretty nasty leaf ping when unlubed. I got them with my GMMK TKL, and initially thought that the awful metallic resonance coming from it during typing was due to a noisy case, but after swapping in Kaihl Box Whites, the noise vanished. I知 gonna try and fix them with some lube next week, as the tactile feel is :discourse:.

im unsure if i have the effort required to lube every. single. switch.
but rn im using fuckinn gateron blacks lmao

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I guess that I'm saying is...
Please Consider ePBT Aesthetic.

As someone who's new to this, what places should I visit for the group buy? I see several vendors listed in the OP, do I just go their website, then?

fake edit:

also, is the Maxkey Berserk 3 SA a good value? I like the look of it a lot but unsure about quality

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

As someone who's new to this, what places should I visit for the group buy? I see several vendors listed in the OP, do I just go their website, then?

Near the bottom is a table of vendors and prices. Go with the one that uses your local currency. If you're in the US, I'd go with Cannonkeys, but KBDFans would be fine, too.

hbag posted:

im unsure if i have the effort required to lube every. single. switch.
but rn im using fuckinn gateron blacks lmao

There are also people that offer switch lubing service. That said, the difference between lubed and unlubed switches is night and day for most switches I would highly recommend lubing pandas.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 7, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Gearman posted:

Near the bottom is a table of vendors and prices. Go with the one that uses your local currency. If you're in the US, I'd go with Cannonkeys, but KBDFans would be fine, too.

There are also people that offer switch lubing service. That said, the difference between lubed and unlubed switches is night and day for most switches I would highly recommend lubing pandas.

i also dont really trust myself to take apart each switch without either breaking or losing something
how long does lube last anyway?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

hbag posted:

i also dont really trust myself to take apart each switch without either breaking or losing something
how long does lube last anyway?

If you get a switch opener, the parts really don't go anywhere. Have a few bowls on hand to keep things organized and you'll be fine. Put on a movie on netflix and you'll be done by the time the movie is over.

Lube lasts pretty much forever. It'll only really move off the switch if you don't use it for a very long time (years).

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
A switch opener is really worth it when you consider how long it takes to lube just a single board's worth of switches.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Lord help me, I僧 seriously considering buying this stupid rear end keyboard. My brain is the size of a marble and just as smooth.

Getting into keyboards was a mistake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that website altered my brain in negative ways

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

What is the obsession with rotary knobs at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

What is the obsession with rotary knobs at the moment?

they're "rare" except not anymore i guess
also haha dial go spinny