Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

Bo-Pepper posted:

i had some smoked pork from a farmer’s market that basically demanded it be used in the dish

it spoke to me

that sounds delicious. it would be madness to deny smoked pork its rightful place in a nest of starchy carbs and savory spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Bo-Pepper posted:

i’ve made a bunch of things in recent months

four and a half gallons of chili

a roast chicken

hot sauce and pickled corn

apple butter

red beans and rice

tomato sauce

hot chili oil

fried chicken

dumplings

strawberry jam

https://i.imgur.com/W0eDFyb.mp4

hmm?

These food pictures are missing something.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Escape From Noise

I was just thinking about making some chili oil! Not that much though! Unfortunately, I have a small kitchen!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Robot Made of Meat posted:

These food pictures are missing something.

and what is that

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
fixins

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I used to have that same kind of druid mug in highschool, or maybe one of my friends did. I remember whoever owned it keeping acorns in it but then the acorns got bugs. The sauce and the chili oil look so beautiful and I want to eat both of them right away but what I really want is to know whatever happened to that mug, I hadn't thought about those beautiful eyes and that sly smile in so long.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Robot Made of Meat

Bo-Pepper posted:

and what is that

An dogge.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

chateau pepper has no dogs so alas i shall forever disappoint you

Areola Grande

they must have meant... prepared dog :concerned:

Areola Grande

pretty messed up thread for byob

Escape From Noise

Made a potato and turnip hash for breakfast today. That's healthy, right?

Entropic

patriarchy sucks

:treemike:

Finger Prince

Coq au vin avec baguette and Englished up with some mushy peas.

Areola Grande

that crusty bread is looking bodacious

Finger Prince

prepuce repurposed posted:

that crusty bread is looking bodacious

It is really good. It's from a local bakery Blackbird

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

white bean stew with spring vegetables, mint pistou and shaved parmesan

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
mint pistou!!!!!!!!

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Escape From Noise

Bo-Pepper posted:

Oh man! What a wonderful veggie feast!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

it felt very good and healthy to eat

Prof. Crocodile

Bo-Pepper posted:

magnificent! :kiss:

Finger Prince

I made fresh hummus today. I don't know how store bought hummus gets it so wrong. I mean, store bought is fine, but fresh made is a whole other level.

Prof. Crocodile

Finger Prince posted:

I made fresh hummus today. I don't know how store bought hummus gets it so wrong. I mean, store bought is fine, but fresh made is a whole other level.

I think about this a lot, because the very best store-bought hummus is way worse than lazy homemade hummus. I'm guessing it comes down to the orchestrations that food must be subjected to to allow it to live for months in a grocer's cooler.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I think about this a lot, because the very best store-bought hummus is way worse than lazy homemade hummus. I'm guessing it comes down to the orchestrations that food must be subjected to to allow it to live for months in a grocer's cooler.

I can sometimes eat my store bought hummus a month or so after opening it and I am not sure the white mold that always grows eventually is that harmful.
What is wrong with the world/me.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

I would like the general hand waviness of the mint pistou, please. I'm looking for something to do with all this loving mint that survived winter.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Teddy Thunders posted:

I would like the general hand waviness of the mint pistou, please. I'm looking for something to do with all this loving mint that survived winter.

a pistou is basically a pesto with fewer ingredients and more olive oil since it's more of a condiment than a sauce

finely chopped mint (or whatever herb you like)
olive oil
grated garlic
salt
pepper

mix it in whatever ratio tastes good to you

that's pistou (not much what's pistou with you)

Nexein

"Donuts of
Champions"
Barging into the cooking thread because I didn't know we had a cooking thread

Today I made what I think is a pretty close approximation of Gyudon for someone who has never actually had Gyudon, sorta.

I omitted the sugar because I'm coming off a fast and I didn't wanna spike my heart into oblivion and added oyster sauce so it was probably more savory and less caramely than it could have been but I'm happy with it.

https://giant.gfycat.com/FragrantGorgeousLeech.mp4
Spring masterpiece courtesy of Prof. Crocodile, thanks!

Prof. Crocodile

Nexein posted:

Today I made what I think is a pretty close approximation of Gyudon for someone who has never actually had Gyudon, sorta.

I omitted the sugar because I'm coming off a fast and I didn't wanna spike my heart into oblivion and added oyster sauce so it was probably more savory and less caramely than it could have been but I'm happy with it.

I will wait on SWR or Teddy Thunders for an official opinion, but goldang that looks good to me. :eyepop:

Finger Prince

I made my own vanilla extract.
I had this dried out old vanilla bean on top of the fridge so I broke it up into bits and put it in a little glass ramekin with maybe about a tablespoon of armagnac and it's been soaking in there for a few days now.
Omfg. I just used like a quarter tsp of it to make some cashew cream to put on a waffle. So much vanilla. So delicious.
Do this. You could use cognac, or even bourbon or aged rum. Get a bean, break it up, put it in a little bit of brown booze, use it for anything that needs vanilla extract.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

brilliant

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Nexein posted:

That looks pretty good!!!! The sugar is kinda important to the overall caramelization and yeah it's kinda sweet but I like the idea of swapping I'm what you've got to fit your diet. Gyudon is the best unfussy just beef bowl meal ever, and yours looks great.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

a pistou is basically a pesto with fewer ingredients and more olive oil since it's more of a condiment than a sauce

finely chopped mint (or whatever herb you like)
olive oil
grated garlic
salt
pepper

mix it in whatever ratio tastes good to you

that's pistou (not much what's pistou with you)

Thank you! I'm gonna try it with a couple of different types of mint and see what works best with this lamb shank tonight

Robot Made of Meat

Nexein posted:

This is beautiful.

Escape From Noise

Finger Prince posted:

I had this dried out old vanilla bean on top of the fridge so I broke it up into bits and put it in a little glass ramekin with maybe about a tablespoon of armagnac and it's been soaking in there for a few days now.
Omfg. I just used like a quarter tsp of it to make some cashew cream to put on a waffle. So much vanilla. So delicious.
Do this. You could use cognac, or even bourbon or aged rum. Get a bean, break it up, put it in a little bit of brown booze, use it for anything that needs vanilla extract.

Ooooh! My vanilla extract is still extracting.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Finger Prince posted:

I leave them in granulated sugar to get v-sug, so I'll have to try this as well.

I wonder if this would work with tonka...
:devil:

Finger Prince

Oh I forgot to mention, make sure you have a lid for the container you're making your extract in so it doesn't all evaporate!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Op have you tried just shoving a bean into a 350ml bottle of vodka and forgetting it in the back of your pantry for 3 months because I did and it's real good

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also today is :ducksiren: sous vide duck tiddy day :ducksiren:.

It's almost done puddlin so I'm gonna sear it and then let it rest while I heat up a blackberry-sage sauce I made:

-pureed blackberries, strain for seeds trust me
-a bunch of white or green sage from wherever you can get it, fresh is best
-butter, salted
-cracked black pepper

Boil the gently caress out of the blackberries and sage and pepper. Take the sage leaves out when it reduces to half. This is good. Finish with butter to make it velvety, this is to taste.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

Teddy Thunders posted:

Op have you tried just shoving a bean into a 350ml bottle of vodka and forgetting it in the back of your pantry for 3 months because I did and it's real good

Also works well with citrus peel (scrape the pith off) or peppercorns!

Gramps

Chicken soup day m'babies. Got an entire head of garlic ready to go in here. Sautéed the chicken thighs already, they'll go back in at the end of cookin. Will post finished product pics later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps

Came out real good you guys. I still think maybe I could improve it slightly with some herbs but it's really good as is.