Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
reading people talking about the dungeons being long makes me feel insane. they are super short and i haven't spent more than 30 minutes in any of them, and i've hovered around being underleveled up to this point (late ch4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the tower in ch2 was pretty long i guess. maybe if you have a 'single target boss killing' party comp 24/7 and fight every battle at 1x speed it would be long?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Farg posted:

the tower in ch2 was pretty long i guess. maybe if you have a 'single target boss killing' party comp 24/7 and fight every battle at 1x speed it would be long?

the numbers that monk give you are bigger though! why bother with targeting multiple enemies at once

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you are murdering every monster in the dungeon you are a very mean person who loves to beat up innocent monsters just to feel good about yourself.

If you want real self-esteem go sail on a boat for twelve hours.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hahahhahaaha i just realized you can grind endgame spoilers:the archway job upgrade battles for hugely powerful rare drops

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is there a decent place early in Chapter 2 to do some grinding? I'm not having trouble, I just want to unlock some skills before I get moving. Frankly the grinding and class tetris is the best part of the game so I prefer that to the rest tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I did some grinding in Bernard's mansion early chapter 2 to get JP Up for everybody and it seemed ok. It only has humanoid enemies on the first floor so if you have the right bait it's easy to get chains.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
PSA: Shakedown is affected by passives like magpie.

Wasn't sure if it was or not until I used shakedown and stole a Genji helm from the ork king(?) in chapter 2 and then promptly fled with it (god bless 100% flee rate skills). Berserkers get a lot of weight to play with, enough that they were able to use it with a bigass axe+sword combo and a pair of power bracers to just become a big wall-o-death. :getin:

Natural 20 posted:

Which route did you take? One of those dungeons is absolutely fine and the other is far too long. In Ch2 I was largely oneshotting everything with Pressure Point.

I've gone through 3 dungeons and they all seemed fine, though most monsters fled from me in the 2nd (not that it helped with how many I ran into due to the camera and tight pathways). I think I'm going to put beast whisperer on everyone while killing through dungeons because I had it on 2 people and ended up with 6 paralyzing attack uses in the 3rd dungeon and they seemed to land on the boss pretty consistently. Freelancer being able to dispel enemy buffs is a godsend too.

Phoix posted:

You can switch weapons in combat with no BP cost, although to be fair I don't think it ever explains that.

...the game definitely never says this, though you can select your weapon/shield in combat so maybe they figure people would try because who'd pla for 15-20 hours and never try to use their weapons in combat? :shepicide:

e:

LiefKatano posted:

I'm convinced monkzerker is the god combo.

I was kind of annoyed/confused on fists not having an element but as it turns out if it doesn't have an element it can't be resisted!

Yep! The downside to fists is it never hits a weakness and the crit rate sucks but eh.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 7, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Srice posted:

In the red mage fight there's also a monster immune to physical attacks but I was able to immediately nuke it down with beastmaster captures. The idea that killing it would take an hour like that reviewer said, is absurd.

I think I know what they're talking about, but I wouldn't have even noticed if those monsters hadn't come back in the next boss fight, lol. I just melted all those things by Off The Chaining Petunias into them, and I think they were still vulnerable to Pressure Point but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Complaints like that are honestly silly when you not only have an easily purchased item to show you enemy stats and weaknesses, it's also literally the first skill you get in the game. Almost as though the game wants you to use it.

stev posted:

What if you actually used the jobs the game gave you instead of levelling freelancer like a drat chump?

I don't know what you think you're accomplishing with this weird attempt at a flex, but in the prologue you scarcely have enough jobs to go around without doubling up (which would be an incredibly loving stupid thing to do) and by the end of the first chapter you should be able to cycle everyone through in between mastering other available jobs. Not to mention that mastering freelancer helps you master other jobs much faster. But then, I'm not the one complaining about how hard the bosses allegedly are so what the gently caress do I know

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 7, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levantine posted:

Is there a decent place early in Chapter 2 to do some grinding? I'm not having trouble, I just want to unlock some skills before I get moving. Frankly the grinding and class tetris is the best part of the game so I prefer that to the rest tbh.

You can go back to the interlude area and either chain stuff on the beach for JP or you can farm the rare enemy up by thew waterfall north of town. There's a screen transition right nearby so fight-kill-leave-return-fight takes about a minute per cycle and iirc it's 1500ish xp and like 300jp. Their rare drop is a main gauche which isn't amazing but is a fairly solid dagger.

If you want to break the game (probably, I haven't done this yet myself and don't plan to until after I beat the game) the undead horse things that spawn on the map by this rare mob drop speed buns as their rare drop/steal item. Put the rare drop boost from gambler on all 4 characters and you will see these (and every other rare drop) constantly. IDK how many you'd get if you did this for even 20-30 minutes but I imagine it'd be a lot and if you boosted someone's speed by 50-100 I imagine their godspeed strike will go from "well this is OP" to "9999 damage non-crits" or something equally insane, considering that with 95 speed I was critting for over 4.5k on the rare down on the beach and I'm guessing the dmg ramps up exponentially as your speed does. They drop from a ch2 enemy as well. I think I ended up with 15 drops just by going through a dungeon and not farming anything. At this point I'm leaving the passive on everyone just to see what all drops.

Magpie and Rare Talent rule though. I was stealing from ch2 mobs to see what their rares were and ended up with 4 power bracers from a single fight due to the final thief passive. Seth has been using the unarmed passive pretty much since I got monk so these drops were quite the dmg boost for him (since the drop i got in ch1 is on Adelle).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 7, 2021

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Levantine posted:

Right outside wisward theres a lap you can run with like 7 insect enemy configs in a row. Pop the food for it at nighttime and just run a couple laps to level up your jobs real quick. Use fire magic or hit all attacks against the groups of 6 ants or spiders or moths

(I’m terrible at corralling enemies to maximize jp gains so I did this for like 2 insect foods worth of time and was good to go)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

once Bard comes into play a bunch of poo poo starts to get interesting

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

In Bernard’s Mansion I had Seth as Beastmaster with a pitchfork and the ability that lets you go first with a spear equipped then just did Mow Down over and over on the human enemies and beat most of them in like 20 seconds lol

I also grabbed a bunch of Minotaurs who are absurdly powerful. Beastmaster is pretty cool.

Edit: Dungeons seems like a reasonable length to me. Then again I am also playing Astral Chain rn and the chapters in that game are loooooooooong so maybe my perspective is kinda skewed.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 7, 2021

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Carlosologist posted:

once Bard comes into play a bunch of poo poo starts to get interesting

How do you use your bard? I've gotten Elvis to 11 on the job, but haven't really clicked with the songs for most fights. Currently in the Ice Cave, and burning through MP trying to kill darkness mobs without a real gameplan atm.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

raditts posted:

I don't know what you think you're accomplishing with this weird attempt at a flex, but in the prologue you scarcely have enough jobs to go around without doubling up (which would be an incredibly loving stupid thing to do) and by the end of the first chapter you should be able to cycle everyone through in between mastering other available jobs. Not to mention that mastering freelancer helps you master other jobs much faster. But then, I'm not the one complaining about how hard the bosses allegedly are so what the gently caress do I know

By the time I'd cleared chapter 1 I'd mastered maybe one job per character. Does Hard mode reduce JP gain or what?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Pillow Armadillo posted:

How do you use your bard? I've gotten Elvis to 11 on the job, but haven't really clicked with the songs for most fights. Currently in the Ice Cave, and burning through MP trying to kill darkness mobs without a real gameplan atm.

basic bitch bard is hurts so bad x4 -> physical damage ability of your choice x4.

but you can also use it to severely limit incoming damage if a given boss or rare fight relies heavily on magical or physical damage with don't let 'em [x] you.

higher level abilities let you make certain types of gameplay strategies extremely reliable.

because it is good with a bow, it can be paired well with a ranger job, allowing you to have an offensive debuff and damage element on the same character.

the aim buff can help you hit the game's metal slime equivalents, and certain other enemies that are maddeningly high in evasion (although there are other, more reliable ways of addressing these problems)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Borsche69 posted:

the numbers that monk give you are bigger though! why bother with targeting multiple enemies at once

If you could perhaps assume I know the basics of the upside of Area damage instead of being incredibly condescending then that would be good. I'm in Ch4 and running an auto attack mug/sweep build that one rounds everything. The dungeon I'm in has once again, taken nearly two hours to run through.

I think the dungeon pacing on this is badly off. Even if my build was off the experience of killing full packs in two rounds being so suboptimal as to make a dungeon take four times longer would still be ludicrous by almost any standard.

Mainly I don't think we're actually getting anywhere with discussing this so imma just call it there and try not to respond if I get needled more.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's stopping me from putting MP saver on everyone and just sleepwalking the entire game with a party godspeed striking every boss to death

Also just started chapter 4 Sad Gladys died. Weird feeling as she is kind of a Problem, but least she went out in a cool enough way. Lot of the twists had me smirking because on Adelle's backstory and knowing this series. I swear if she backstabs the party then I'm just gonna laugh :v: .
Decided to go after the zombie dude as I hate him the most but I kinda appreciate how diseased some of his line reading is. Still gonna shove him into a locker.

Chapter 3's big final boss but is there any counter to bomb arm? I got my first boss wipe because he just started spamming it relentlessly and gently caress me I guess. Would of lost the second time around but just said gently caress it and godspeed strike spammed him so only Adelle was left alive. Thank god for EXP and JP orbs for catch up :effort:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

So far I’m pairing Bard with White Mage since I’m still early in on Chapter. I just picked up Beastmaster (beat the boss in one try!) and I feel this will pair well with Vanguard or Monk. Curious to see how it’s gimmick will come into play

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's stopping me from putting MP saver on everyone and just sleepwalking the entire game with a party godspeed striking every boss to death

Also just started chapter 4 Sad Gladys died. Weird feeling as she is kind of a Problem, but least she went out in a cool enough way. Lot of the twists had me smirking because on Adelle's backstory and knowing this series. I swear if she backstabs the party then I'm just gonna laugh :v: .
Decided to go after the zombie dude as I hate him the most but I kinda appreciate how diseased some of his line reading is. Still gonna shove him into a locker.

Chapter 3's big final boss but is there any counter to bomb arm? I got my first boss wipe because he just started spamming it relentlessly and gently caress me I guess. Would of lost the second time around but just said gently caress it and godspeed strike spammed him so only Adelle was left alive. Thank god for EXP and JP orbs for catch up :effort:

MP Saver Godspeed Strike: Nothing other than if you got the optional job in ch3 then you can just use that to fuel your MP which gives you a spare slot.

CH 3 boss: Fire resistance/immunity will work so going in loaded with fire charms helps. But honestly it becomes a dps race because of how quickly he generates BP and how offensively he uses it

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

If you could perhaps assume I know the basics of the upside of Area damage instead of being incredibly condescending then that would be good. I'm in Ch4 and running an auto attack mug/sweep build that one rounds everything. The dungeon I'm in has once again, taken nearly two hours to run through.

I think the dungeon pacing on this is badly off. Even if my build was off the experience of killing full packs in two rounds being so suboptimal as to make a dungeon take four times longer would still be ludicrous by almost any standard.

Mainly I don't think we're actually getting anywhere with discussing this so imma just call it there and try not to respond if I get needled more.

Are you running this on the lowest speed or some poo poo? I am also enjoying you ignoring the like 20 or so other people that have chimed in to say that 2 hours on a dungeon is totally insane.

Although maybe not totally crazy. I have taken two hours on a dungeon in this game before. I was in the switch menu or just looking at equipment/jobs poo poo for like an hour and a half, but yeah starting and finishing the dungeon took two hours total.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Natural 20 posted:

I just... how? If you're one rounding things, then each battle is what, 20 seconds, maybe 30? And if you fight enough things, they'll start running away from you? You are on speed 4 for trash encounters, right? You're also using Y to repeat commands, right?

I mean yeah, there are a couple of dungeons that are super long, but those tend to be climactic end chapter areas with multiple places to teleport out to take a break. A lot of dungeons loop back on themselves, which can make getting all the treasures kind of a pain, but even with getting all the treasures it doesn't take that long.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Impermanent posted:

hahahhahaaha i just realized you can grind endgame spoilers:the archway job upgrade battles for hugely powerful rare drops

Yep, they're loving hilarious.

(same end-game spoilers)

The passives DOUBLE UP AND STACK if you wield two of them. My Adelle has two instances of Last Resort, which given that she sits at 1 HP all the time, means she cranks out 99,999 damage non-crit Death's Doors.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

raditts posted:

I think I know what they're talking about, but I wouldn't have even noticed if those monsters hadn't come back in the next boss fight, lol. I just melted all those things by Off The Chaining Petunias into them, and I think they were still vulnerable to Pressure Point but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Pressure Point should work because Monk skills, afaik, don't inherit your weapon "element", so they're always non-elemental (or pure fire-elemental for Firebird/Flames of War).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, they're loving hilarious.

(same end-game spoilers)

The passives DOUBLE UP AND STACK if you wield two of them. My Adelle has two instances of Last Resort, which given that she sits at 1 HP all the time, means she cranks out 99,999 damage non-crit Death's Doors.

Even better, they stack if you equip the ability too. Dual thief knives with the rob blind passive equipped as well means that you steal 4 copies of items from enemies.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m about to start this game (Persona Strikers distracted me)

I’m a big big BD1 fan, but was a bit disappointed with the battle system in the demo - how are people finding it in the full game
Extremely good if you got a mind for job strats. I see a lot of people struggling and I'm not sure what to really say - a lot of the combos practically write themselves now with how the explanations are written. The gameplay is easily the best it's ever been.

The story kind of sucks at the start and takes awhile to pick up, but it's good once it does. The side quests are too many and many are bad, but several are fully voiced and those are mostly good. Audio is great except the main theme gets riffed on too much. I hear the English dub is kinda bad though.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm probably not optimal but I have Elvis as my Bard with white mage secondary. I have him maining bard for the abilities to do extra random songs and extend duration so I have a break to heal if needed. White mage secondary just so I can free up gloria for a job that's not dedicated healing, and he just does attack or defense buffs up as appropriate (or 4x if I'm bursting). There might be a better way to micromanage bard but this gives simple but big gains.

Finally hit chapter 3 and my monk is falling more behind now doing half the damage of my vanguard. Even with the berserker combo for free abilities it's still not anywhere near as reliable or damaging as just 4x neo slash; my only guess is my vanguards chance to target is jumping his physical attack significantly. Definitely ready to sub in another offensive job at this point since i must be doing something

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Mar 7, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I can't believe anyone actually kept up with cutting grass beyond the first time you get like a 60g drop and realise it's not worth it.

I've gotten most of my gear from cutting grass. It frequently gives top-level gear.

Evil Fluffy posted:

including time I spent capturing monsters ans testing what their beastmaster effects are (which needs to be in the bestiary or something because come on game)

Yeah this is extremely annoying and dumb. I don't want to have to waste my captured monsters just to find out what they do (and even then it'd probably be hard to remember all of them).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 7, 2021

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Was I suppose to fight The Arcanist 3 times in his boss fight or did I miss an opportunity to use the branch as an item on him sometime during the fight to end it early? I felt a bit silly forgetting about it entirely because it starts out easy enough that I got cocky after easily beating his first form and then panic set in after he started using the AOE attacks that healed himself

At least getting a chain bonus in that situation was something different :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question about the Arcanist myself but was he even a boss? Everything in his dungeon had to be planned around but dude did like 200 damage at best to anyone he was trying to hit and was only healing himself like 300 when he was trying to absorb elements. It felt like something REALLY broke that fight because he was just a punching bag and all 3 forms died in like 5 turns tops.

Also regarding that job is it even worth using? Half of it's list is 'kills yourself' and after meteor or whatever did like 300 damage it just seems like giga poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

18 hours in just got thief asterisk. I'm playing at a completely normal pace!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

My journey of "see a new rare, swap to thief with passives, use shakedown to grab 2 rare drops from it" just resulted in me getting a pair of 55wt 172 attack bows from the rare demon on the ice floats (Astaroth?) in Ch3). Sure, I don't think I can actually use this on the relevant jobs without some -weight accessories but holy moley.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah this is extremely annoying and dumb. I don't want to have to waste my captured monsters just to find out what they do (and even then it'd probably be hard to remember all of them).

On the upside, I was testing the ch3 optional class's dungeon captures on the boss and one of them (the undead horse, I think) was 8-9k damage when unleashing them so having 5 of those certainly made that boss go quickly since white mage Elvis was able to easily keep up with the damage and captures didn't set off the boss's stupid counter.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I tried to level gambler for a while but it's so annoying randomly not getting JP.

I effortlessly killed the thief with off the leash (or chain? The second one) minotaurs

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao the story just forced me to run away from the beefcake at the beginning of chapter 2 but I was quite easily smashing the poo poo out of him.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Dirk the Average posted:

I just... how? If you're one rounding things, then each battle is what, 20 seconds, maybe 30? And if you fight enough things, they'll start running away from you? You are on speed 4 for trash encounters, right? You're also using Y to repeat commands, right?

I mean yeah, there are a couple of dungeons that are super long, but those tend to be climactic end chapter areas with multiple places to teleport out to take a break. A lot of dungeons loop back on themselves, which can make getting all the treasures kind of a pain, but even with getting all the treasures it doesn't take that long.

I run at 2x speed because 4x speed gives me a headache. But yes I know all of the above. The important thing to note is, if you just play the game without grinding then enemies will never get to the point that they run away from you in level appropriate dungeons. So you end up fighting everything and even with fights lasting 30 seconds dungeons are long as sin.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do think that most dungeons are like one floor too long, whether or not enemies are running from you.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

I do think that most dungeons are like one floor too long, whether or not enemies are running from you.

Yeah pretty much this. Most could end at the second teleporter and I don't think the game would lose anything.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Berzerker passive to attack everyone combo’d with Swordmaster’s Multitask and Double Attack is grinding made easy.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

^burtle posted:

Berzerker passive to attack everyone combo’d with Swordmaster’s Multitask and Double Attack is grinding made easy.

also throw dragoon's Full Force on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I tried to level gambler for a while but it's so annoying randomly not getting JP.

I effortlessly killed the thief with off the leash (or chain? The second one) minotaurs

I had 3 10 battle chains in a row where Elvis got 0 JP and I just said gently caress it and burned a ton of orbs to get rare talent on him since he'd missed out on 5-6k JP in like 10-15 minutes. That class's trait is just awful.