Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
does the tax credit child benefit plan try to even consider people who may not file because of insufficient income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Shipon posted:

does the tax credit child benefit plan try to even consider people who may not file because of insufficient income

no

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shipon posted:

Yeah this is why I want to know exactly if it's just a credit since I have to imagine the vast majority of child poverty is from families that don't even file or taxes aren't the main expenditure they are facing.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love the messaging on "We will cut child poverty in half!! :D"

Like uh... why don't you just eliminate child poverty? No? Am I crazy? What if we did something that just eliminated child poverty instead. Am I asking for too much? Is this a symptom of my whiny leftism?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1367923172792803328

deeply funny reminder that arizona already has a boosted minimum wage despite the state being run by republicans

i'd be willing to put money on sinema's no vote being based on $15/hr being a bernie campaign plank

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dolphin posted:

remember that time bloomberg was accused of sexual harassment onstage during a debate and his reply was that "women might not have liked some jokes"

The best thing about the Mini Mike Organization is they required sexual harassment allegations at Bloomberg Media companies to go through the arbitration process.

Mini Mike had quite the record of settlements and PR spin over the last few years!

https://www.thecut.com/2020/02/mike-bloomberg-accused-of-workplace-sexual-harassment.html

quote:

According to the Post, when Bloomberg learned that former salesperson Sekiko Sakai Garrison (who sued the billionaire in the late 1990s) was pregnant in 1995, he reportedly told her to “kill it.” Other employees allegedly overheard the remark, but still, Bloomberg called Garrison shortly after the incident, denying that he’d insinuated she should terminate her pregnancy. Garrison was fired a few months later.

In her lawsuit, Garrison also recalls Bloomberg taking another female employee to task for her pregnancy, responding “what the hell did you do a thing like that for” upon learning the woman was having a baby. In another instance, according to the lawsuit, he allegedly screamed at a woman who was looking for a nanny, “It’s a loving baby! … All you need is some black who doesn’t have to speak English to rescue it from a burning building.”

In depositions from Garrison’s case, which they settled for an undisclosed sum, Bloomberg repeatedly denied the claims. “I never said those words and there would be no reason to do so, it’s ridiculous and an outrage,” he said, according to the Post.

Sexual harassment
In 2001, New York magazine published excerpts from a booklet compiled by a Bloomberg executive in 1990, cataloguing some of the boss’s more colorful workplace remarks. “Make the customer feel like he’s getting laid when he’s getting hosed,” he allegedly said.

“If women wanted to be appreciated for their brains, they’d go to the library instead of to Bloomingdale’s,” read another alleged Bloomberg quote, along with: “I know for a fact that any self-respecting woman who walks past a construction site and doesn’t get a whistle will turn around and walk past again and again until she does get one.”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how could he possibly know that for a fact did he actually see one do that

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Dolphin posted:

I love the messaging on "We will cut child poverty in half!! :D"

Like uh... why don't you just eliminate child poverty? No? Am I crazy? What if we did something that just eliminated child poverty instead. Am I asking for too much? Is this a symptom of my whiny leftism?

they are going to cut poor children in half with a chainsaw, is what they meant

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it sounds like a comedy sketch a woman walking past a construction site in increasingly angry and sexy costumes to try and get a whistle with the punchline being that the construction workers are all gay

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news everyone! The democrats have reduced live infant cannibalizations by 20 percent!!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's focus on the good.

Like how good stuff should happen that hasn't?

No. Just ruminate on vaguely good stuff that happened, don't think about the fact that nothing good will ever happen.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

that anime cartoon of sinema is amazing in how it just cuts through all the bs, I wouldn’t be surprised if it costs her enough votes in her election by itself

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://mobile.twitter.com/PelosiMorning/status/1368544963290562569

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

were up to five now by the way

https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1368402144278306817

any comment from the woman who said four was going too far
it's the price is right rules

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Just like Obamacare, we will discover some arcane and draconian rule or law has been passed with the stimulus that charges everyone $700 a month if they live in a house.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Didn't they stick some ghastly trans-athletes poo poo in the bill?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

sexpig by night posted:

nah, it failed because Murkowski's nay made up for Manchin's yea

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

galenanorth posted:

nah, it failed because Murkowski's nay made up for Manchin's yea

ah so they just narrowly avoided it because at least one dem 100% did support it, cool

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Manchin and Collins voted for it but it lost by one vote

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Nichael wanna come down to the hospital to hang out? I can show you some cool dimly lit basements.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dolphin posted:

Good news everyone! The democrats have reduced live infant cannibalizations by 20 percent!!

Republicans wanted to decrease them by only 10 percent! while also funneling money into attacking Syria!!!

The Republicans also negotiated the bill down to a 12 percent reduction in per-capita nationwide infant cannibalization while also arming the border with matrix style caretaker robots that steal migrant infants and process them into giant "Overflow Facilities."

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Mar 7, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
are we just all going to pretend that sinema isn't an alternative name for premium cable dirty movies like skinemax

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Progressives need to learn to not let perfect be the enemy of good. Also, they need to kick rocks because this isn't the perfect bill to vote on minimum wage.

a new study bible! has issued a correction as of 15:38 on Mar 7, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

spending bills, on the other hand, those are perfect for sneaking in raising the minimum smoking age to 21

Nothing against that, it's just an example of how non-germane amendments happen all the time and they never had a problem with it tanking a bill until now.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/thotteusstevens/status/1368535171616673795?s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/punishedhoover/status/1368421644042125317?s=19

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

galenanorth posted:

spending bills, on the other hand, those are perfect for sneaking in raising the minimum smoking age to 21

Nothing against that, it's just an example of how non-germane amendments happen all the time and they never had a problem with it tanking a bill until now.

But the parliamentarian issued a nonbinding advisory opinion

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Hunger Games extras from the Capital scenes?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i still have no loving idea what they meant by this

“I gotta vote blue but Joe is bad so I’ll spoil my vote in the dumbest loving way possible to square this circle”

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

I was also annoyed by nicheals posts

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Some Guy TT posted:

in other cuomo bad news

https://mobile.twitter.com/quasimado/status/1368235359977476101

cant wait until we find out he massaged these numbers too

Even my chud rear end superTrumper governor has prisoners in a priority tier.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vim Fuego posted:

Spider hyphen man voted for her in the general instead of biden

Still completely defending it and biden as valid in every thread btw :laffo:

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i still have no loving idea what they meant by this

I wrote-in Kamala Harris because I wanted my protest vote to make clear how appallingly low my standards are when the alternative is Trump. I could not bring myself to vote for a rapist, or for someone who is suffering cognitive decline. A write-in vote of Bernie seemed utterly pointless to me. I live in Massachusetts and if I lived in a swing state I very may well have voted for Biden. But my life would probably be really different if that were the case, so I can't really say for sure.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The gaslighting going on about this bill is hilariously blatant.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

OctoberCountry posted:

I wrote-in Kamala Harris because I wanted my protest vote to make clear how appallingly low my standards are when the alternative is Trump. I could not bring myself to vote for a rapist, or for someone who is suffering cognitive decline. A write-in vote of Bernie seemed utterly pointless to me. I live in Massachusetts and if I lived in a swing state I very may well have voted for Biden. But my life would probably be really different if that were the case, so I can't really say for sure.

That is not how this protest vote would have been interpreted by any other person, hth

Probably writing in Mickey Mouse or Jimmy McMillan would have been more effective

Also Jimmy McMillan was right and ahead of his time and we should have listened to him

This country did Jimmy McMillan a grave disservice

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1368398070011093009?s=19

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
This big dumb corporate handout bill was not a good spot to try to walk that 15$ min wage in.

HOWEVER, it was the only possible spot to do it because now congress is going to go on another hard earned vacation and never pass another meaningful bill for the next 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chris James 2 posted:

Still completely defending it and biden as valid in every thread btw :laffo:

Too much of a pussy to post in the succ zone threads; will post in threads before they become succ zone