Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

larkko posted:

Have some predictable Torts quotes about Patrik Laine:

- We are just getting to know each other, but I think he can become an all-round top NHL player - not just a top scorer. If he decides that playing isn’t just about scoring goals. I know he likes goals and he knows he’s a good goal scorer, says Tortorella.

- I read a comment one day in which he said that he is paid to score goals and he is pretty good at it. It was typical of Patty. He’s not shy, and I love it, Tortorella says.

It’s a sign of the swagger mentioned earlier by Tortorella.

But. In Columbus it's Tortorella's way.

- When we talked, in fact, just today in this same office (Interview day was Monday, February 22) between the two of us, I said directly that no, no chance. Here, we don’t just pay you to score goals, Tortorella says.

(source: https://translate.google.com/transl...n%3Dtweet-share)

BLOCK

SHOTS

I mean, Ken Hitchcock turned Rick Nash into more of an all-around player (his ability to pick off D to D passes while on the PK and spring a breakaway was a thing of beauty) but I'm not sure Torts will be able to pull that off with Laine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jhet posted:

Please no. He would be very not popular immediately.

Boudreau wants it, he would be a funny choice. Gallant won’t get it because Vegas already did that. They’re going to want to hire top talent, but that makes me think they’d consider Babcock (lols). There’s not much for top obvious good options unless you dip into the toxic pool of candidates. It doesn’t seem likely with the PR disaster that would follow.

The old boys club is very strong and I don’t think it would even be a PR disaster if they went Torts or Babcock. I mean Babcock got a National TV gig with the weakest of non-apologies and Torts won the Jack Adams.

That being said, I still think they look elsewhere...just seems like an easy opportunity to differentiate yourself from the pack.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

WeaponX posted:

The old boys club is very strong and I don’t think it would even be a PR disaster if they went Torts or Babcock. I mean Babcock got a National TV gig with the weakest of non-apologies and Torts won the Jack Adams.

That being said, I still think they look elsewhere...just seems like an easy opportunity to differentiate yourself from the pack.

Nationally and in the league I’d agree with you. Here in Seattle they would be alienating a large part of their audience in the expansion year. Better to start with someone who isn’t offensive and get your base used to happily spending money before pissing half of them off.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

There’s been a lot of Caps fan chatter about trading Kuzy and/or Vrana to get Forsberg back...

Isn't trading a youngish, underperforming winger for the established but somewhat underwhelming winger just a rehash of the trade that saw Forsberg leave in the first place?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

ThinkTank posted:

I love how those polls of fans suggesting the team trade their promising but unspectacular young player for an established superstar are always 50/50. The best possible outcome for Nick Suzuki and Alex Romanov is they turn into a 1B centre and a middle of the road #2. In what universe is that too much to pay for Jack Eichel a boneafide franchise centre other than it's kinda fun to watch a prospect develop in real time?

Agreed. It would be funny to see a more realistic return in those polls, since if Eichel moves, the return is going to be multiple roster players, multiple blue chip prospects, and multiple firsts. I suppose a lot of fans have just become emotionally invested in and overhyped their own franchises prospects. It would suck to see the Rangers give up half a dozen guys who I think of as the future of the team right now, but if the deal was on the table, I'd still take it.

Now watch LA give up two blue-chip center prospects and still end up with Eichel-Byfield-Kopitar down the middle.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Boudreu’s been sittin on his big jolly butt doing nothing this season but calling in to the Caps pregame and postgame shows. He’s probably the best choice for Seattle unless someone else gets fired that’s better.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Isn't trading a youngish, underperforming winger for the established but somewhat underwhelming winger just a rehash of the trade that saw Forsberg leave in the first place?

Huh? Vrana's not even 2 years younger than Forsberg, and Forsberg was traded in the midst of a pretty good draft+1 year for a 31-year-old Erat. Forsberg's also having yet another great season so I don't see why Nashville would trade him other than his propensity to missing 15-20 games per season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Seattle coach job is a trap IMO. After Vegas' stupidly fluky first year success the expectations are going to be irrationally high for a roster that won't likely be very good.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Counterpoint: Most of the same GMs are still running teams

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah there might be fans disappointed that Seattle doesn't get the rocket start right out of the gate the way Vegas did but that's gonna be about it.

The only level of sport that gets trigger happy as hell on firing coaches is college football and that's its own bizarro universe. North american pro sports league leadership by and wide is patient to a fault.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

Yeah there might be fans disappointed that Seattle doesn't get the rocket start right out of the gate the way Vegas did but that's gonna be about it.

The only level of sport that gets trigger happy as hell on firing coaches is college football and that's its own bizarro universe. North american pro sports league leadership by and wide is patient to a fault.

I don’t know many people here who expect a rocket start like Vegas did. I just know people who want them to be less depressing than the Mariners.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TJ Oshie is gonna be on Seattle as Captain. Gonna be sad to see him leave the Caps though, but he’ll be a rockstar on that team. He’s once again playing lights out this year.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Eeli maybe turning a corner might be the only good thing that’s happened for the Preds this year

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Huh? Vrana's not even 2 years younger than Forsberg, and Forsberg was traded in the midst of a pretty good draft+1 year for a 31-year-old Erat. Forsberg's also having yet another great season so I don't see why Nashville would trade him other than his propensity to missing 15-20 games per season.

Erat has a ppg of .71 in the 2.5 years leading up to his trade. Forsberg's ppg over the last 2.5 years is .81. Erat was older but it's not like Forsberg is a spring chicken anymore.

Vrana would presumably not be the only asset going Nashville's way (McMichael would likely be a key figure in the discussions). I agree there's no harm in Washington making a trade like that, but no one should expecting Forsberg to go gangbusters with the Caps. He's a good first line winger on a team with a lot of good first line wingers. I sure as hell wouldn't trade Kuznetsov for him, even with a couple mill of cap space coming back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DJExile posted:

Counterpoint, Gerard Gallant was fired a year and a half after taking a first year expansion team to the Stanley Cup final, with the team 24-19-6.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Counterpoint, Gerard Gallant was fired a year and a half after taking a first year expansion team to the Stanley Cup final, with the team 24-19-6.

Has that ever been explained beyond the front office being disappointed with underperformance? because that firing still seemed so loving bizarre

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vegas got so goddamned lucky snagging Marchessault and Karlsson bursting out like he did. Not to mention getting Shea Theodore for not picking Josh Manson, man what a steal.
Tuch and Haula packaged from Minnesota so they wouldn't take ???
Nate Schmidt while he was still pissing radioactive

I really can't wait to see how seattle shakes out

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

ThinkTank posted:

I love how those polls of fans suggesting the team trade their promising but unspectacular young player for an established superstar are always 50/50. The best possible outcome for Nick Suzuki and Alex Romanov is they turn into a 1B centre and a middle of the road #2. In what universe is that too much to pay for Jack Eichel a boneafide franchise centre other than it's kinda fun to watch a prospect develop in real time?

Umm, actually, Suzuki's already a 1B. :colbert:

But yeah, the best possible argument I could see is the need for having cheap players under control because the team already has like 20 million tied up to two awful contracts, but if you can get Eichel, you take him and you figure out the details later.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MAF was a drat good grab for them too, especially considering they agreed they owed the Penguins a favor for taking him off their hands (which JR cashed in to dump Ryan Reaves)

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Vegas got so goddamned lucky snagging Marchessault and Karlsson bursting out like he did. Not to mention getting Shea Theodore for not picking Josh Manson, man what a steal.
Nate Schmidt while he was still pissing radioactive

I really can't wait to see how seattle shakes out

Marchessault and Reilly Smith because Florida had no idea what they were doing. I think Fleury being good was probably the single most important thing for that group, Seattle’s gonna be hard pressed to find a proper starter and without one...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So they wouldn’t take any of the D core. Only this time I have a bad feeling that Dumba or Brodin will end up in Seattle. Either one would be a good addition.

Vegas also pulled a coup with MAF playing off his head again after the move. Bit more of a goalie shortage this year, but that’s because everyone is trying to carry two solid goalies. Either way I’m looking forward to going to NHL games again without a bunch of traveling.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

eXXon posted:

He's only got one more year on his contract and the team seems due for a rebuild so trading him isn't the worst idea.

I can see why Caps fans are thinking about it to sort of redeem or purge the stink of that trade, but I think trading Vrana or Kuzy is just doubling down on the stupid. You'd be selling low on Kuzy who has looked pretty crappy. And Vrana still has plenty of upside if they would just deploy him differently. Dude has 8 goals playing 15 minutes a night almost entirely 5v5.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Dear Sabres. Please fire Kreuger.

Please hire Boudreau, Gallant, Julien, or someone of that caliber. I'm even tempted to suggest Babcock at this point.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1369015063995154432

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1369016252275056652

Kilza fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 8, 2021

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Pointless

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
These changes would just be moving forward, correct?

So if, in a hypothetical situation, a team had won the lottery in the past two years, they’d still be eligible to win it in this next draft?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Am yes what a surprise they changed the lottery rules again just as the Canucks were about to be in a position to benefit.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I'm not sure the NHL even knows the purpose of having the draft decided by lottery.

Was Edmonton sweeping it a travesty? Yes. Was NYR making the postseason and picking 1OA a joke? Absolutely. But the point of having a lottery is that it's fair because anything can happen. If you say "lottery, but not this because it would be bad" then just go all the way and throw out the lotto balls.

Limiting it to 10 spots doesn't stop tanking. It means a team in 19th or 20th is more incentivized to tank.

Practically, it also means a team can be penalized for winning the lottery -- drafting high in bad draft years and then being locked out of good draft years, or having their draft picks become "poisoned" and preventing them from making trades.

Anyway, just implement the Gold Plan you absolute cowards.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 8, 2021

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

These changes would just be moving forward, correct?

Correct.
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1369026000575733765

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

Anyway, just implement the Gold Plan you absolute cowards.

The gold plan just encourages teams that are bad early on to give up even sooner.

Honestly, last place gets first overall works well in the NFL which is a much better managed league. Outside of Lemieux and McDavid has tanking actually been that much of a problem? And if so, why not just lottery the first overall pick between the bottom three or something? The current system is so bad and no longer has any connection to the idea that the worst teams should get the best young players to aid with their improvement.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

or, since the NHL wants to control the results of random chance, just do like the AFL where you draft based on seeding but the league can give you pity picks if you suck too much.

(Haha don't do this there would be riots)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Just give all non-playoff teams equal odds and lotto the whole 15 picks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

or, since the NHL wants to control the results of random chance, just do like the AFL where you draft based on seeding but the league can give you pity picks if you suck too much.

(Haha don't do this there would be riots)

If we're bringing AFL rules into the mix let's implement the father-son rule complete with its insanely complicated value bidding system for maximum chaos.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If the point of the lottery is to improve lovely teams, then gating teams from repeatedly picking first overall seems silly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It would actually be pretty awesome if the draft were scrapped and instead each team gets a max amount of money they're allowed to spend on amateur players that year, with the worst team getting to spend the most and decrementing a tiny bit downward until the Cup winner gets the least. Let 'em spend it however they choose, let the prospects sign with whoever they want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

If the point of the lottery is to improve lovely teams, then gating teams from repeatedly picking first overall seems silly.

Well regularly sending top talent to Edmonton where they do jack poo poo for the rest of their lives is silly too.

So how about a system where every time a team drafts first the GM has to retire.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
The draft won't be fixed until the league retroactively rescinds Edmonton's 2015 1st overall pick and re-allocates Connor McDavid to my team.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

e: wait I'm a year off gently caress

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

The best part is this is all the NHL's own doing. If they'd just given the first overall pick to the last place team the Oilers would've only had Hall and RNH. It was the NHL's flailing attempts to fix their own imagined problem that started handing the Oilers all the extra picks.

If they'd done nothing Columbus would have Yakupov, Florida would have Mackinnon, Buffalo would have Ekblad and McDavid, Arizona would have Eichel, the Leafs would still have Matthews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The best part is this is all the NHL's own doing. If they'd just given the first overall pick to the last place team the Oilers would've only had Hall and RNH. It was the NHL's flailing attempts to fix their own imagined problem that started handing the Oilers all the extra picks.

That and the fact they apparently are too incompetent to figure out how to rig the lottery, something David Stern and the NBA sorted out 40 years ago, yeah.