Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only plastic you need in a bathroom is the hoses. I guess many gaskets might also be petroleum-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Go compare the cost for PVC waste pipe and PEX water lines versus cast iron and copper.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
also how much plastic is in modern shower / tub inserts

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Petroleum for plastics, the plastic revolution is what made multiple bathrooms affordable for normal people to begin with along with a million other modern amenities.

yep

there's a reason why "nice" bathrooms use all porcelain and tile and granite and marble - plastic is for poors, it's a status signifier

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the shortage is always the nurses who are doing the actual poking. this was a drive thru with 6-10 lanes depending on traffic volume, so enough nurses to staff that from 8 am to 8 pm, and a doctor on site too. then you need people to handle everything else so that the nurses can keep doing an injection every 2-3 minutes.

non medical volunteer spots for each day usually fill up within 2 minutes of a shift getting announced. but there is a lot to do, directing traffic, making sure people queue and wait the required 15 min observation time after the jab before getting their vaccine card, tons of data entry, and carting around medical supplies to keep the vaccine stations stocked. it’s also just nice that everyone who shows up is happy to get vaccinated.

has anyone built a bot for CA to find volunteer slots yet?

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

I have never lived anywhere with more than one toilet and having multiple bathrooms really only started being a thing for normal people in post-1980 construction.

I was reading Peter Hook's book about Joy Division and he said that they constantly poked fun at Steve Morris and called him posh because his dad's house had two toilets.

I think this might be true further east, but honestly I never lived anywhere from Ohio and westward that didn't have two bathrooms. But yeah, since moving to PA and then NY, everywhere has only had one, usually lovely retrofits.

When we bought our house in PA there was a toilet in the basement, and apparently it was pretty common for people to just drop toilets on top of open floor drains without like... connecting it really, or making sure there was appropriate ventilation so that flushing would work. I never used it until flushing it to rip it out, at which point water just leaked out everywhere on my basement floor, because there was no wax ring.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The plumbing was usually an optional add-on for the sears houses.

There's one of these houses a few blocks from me, they're pretty distinctive with the Queen Anne turret.

i'm the D e c e p t i o n H a l l

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

lament.cfg posted:

2 at home, 1 at my mother in law's

does someone want to put together the google doc or should i

i’ll make the wiki map

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fully vaccinated and making GBS threads at the mall. Hell yeah

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

:911:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yours was occupied huh?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ansible Adams posted:

yours was occupied huh?

if you were married to him, you'd want to hide, too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

my condo has two toilets

almost every 2BR condo built since the late 90s has two. a 2BR with one bathroom easily sells for 75k less right now, so the few that are out there we've been targeting because we can get by with one.

i’ve heard the word condo many times and I can only assume it’s short for condom

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echinopsis posted:

i’ve heard the word condo many times and I can only assume it’s short for condom

condominium. youre half right

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

echinopsis posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

see you on the other end of the shark :patriot:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Hearing the toilet flush of freedom, the teen manning the Orange Julius wipes away a tear and salutes.

It's morning in America.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

(this was part of an ongoing storyline that seemed to last forever :corsair:)

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 10, 2021

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i get my first jab on the 18th. wife and parents are all vaxxed up already. soon we’ll be able to at least see them as we normally would. :unsmith:

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I should probably look into this whole "getting vaccinated" thing, huh

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fortaleza posted:

I should probably look into this whole "getting vaccinated" thing, huh

:same:

i'm waiting for my parents to get vaccinated first. or maybe i'm just lazy

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

i get my first jab on the 18th. wife and parents are all vaxxed up already. soon we’ll be able to at least see them as we normally would. :unsmith:

Congrats. I'm jealous. We're still completely unknown but my parents are all done and I think my mom is waiting to mash "buy" on her plane tickets out here the second I tell he we're scheduled.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Petroleum for plastics, the plastic revolution is what made multiple bathrooms affordable for normal people to begin with along with a million other modern amenities.
This idea of the cost of fixtures inside a house being anywhere near a significant part of the cost is confusing my silicon-valley brain

brb putting a 2 million dollar bid on a burned out shack

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Go compare the cost for PVC waste pipe and PEX water lines versus cast iron and copper.

iirc california banned PEX because there's a 0.0000001% chance it could leak carcinogens (california is the weirdest loving place) and now everything new being built is back to 1 bath per unit. absolutely bonkers.

President Beep posted:

grats. our timeline in BC is all a gently caress now, originally it was going to be everyone done by september, then everyone gets at least one dose by july, then they discovered that there are some communities where more than one percent of the population is actively infected and now the goal is to fully vaccinate everyone up in those places by april so we don't get to summer and three quarters of the people living up there are too dead to vaccinate

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

iirc california banned PEX because there's a 0.0000001% chance it could leak carcinogens (california is the weirdest loving place) and now everything new being built is back to 1 bath per unit. absolutely bonkers.

grats. our timeline in BC is all a gently caress now, originally it was going to be everyone done by september, then everyone gets at least one dose by july, then they discovered that there are some communities where more than one percent of the population is actively infected and now the goal is to fully vaccinate everyone up in those places by april so we don't get to summer and three quarters of the people living up there are too dead to vaccinate

as I understand it, they can give all of prince rupert a jab with less than a single shipment of whatever the newest vaccine they approved was, so it shouldn't affect the one-dose-by-july thing

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

as I understand it, they can give all of prince rupert a jab with less than a single shipment of whatever the newest vaccine they approved was, so it shouldn't affect the one-dose-by-july thing

yeah, iirc a shipment is something like 50k doses a week and prince rupert's population is only 12k

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
prince rupert is when they stick a massive piercing in the end of your dick except unlike an albert this is a cowbell

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

prince rupert is when they stick a massive piercing in the end of your dick except unlike an albert this is a cowbell

eh. could be worse

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

a real cowbellend, that one.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

a real cowbellend, that one.

better than a cowbellwether

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I've never been to Prince Rupert but a friend of mine loves it. he talks about moving there someday

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

calling the local tobacco store and asking if they have prince rupert in a can

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

epstein is dead so it’s probably safe to let him out now

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truman Peyote posted:

I've never been to Prince Rupert but a friend of mine loves it. he talks about moving there someday

it has a quaint charm to it and it's not bad to visit but if you told me I had to choose a frozen northern backwater to live in I'd go with whitehorse

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

do you have any prince rupert in a can?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

TOOT BOOT posted:

calling the local tobacco store and asking if they have prince rupert in a can

my dumb rear end brain skipped right over this post

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The standard Finnish word for condom is "kondomi", but the colloquial term is "kortsu", which is short for "kortonki", probably a play on "kartonki" i.e. paperboard, much like concrete is "betoni" but sometimes referred to as "petonki" a play on "patonki", i.e. french bread (which is technically a bread baton).

Oh uhh anyway, the guy who played Matlock played a racist grandfather in some movie and called them condrums and I wish I had a clip of that.

e: My dad used to say "orankitunki" instead of the standard "oranki" for an orangutan. Thanks for reading.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 11, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coronavirus chat: a customer has two plants in different towns (well, more, but I'm just talking about these two). One has mandated the normal surgical-type paper masks for everyone, and banned the ones with vents that are normally used in dusty or whatever environments, not a medical mask at all. The other has mandated masks but allows the ones with vents. Guess which one closed down? The excuse was "our glasses keep fogging up with a ventless mask!"

(As I understand it, the ventless masks protect everyone else and the vented ones only the wearer.)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
the vented ones are still better than nothing because they direct your exhalation downwards instead of directly at whomever you’re speaking to, but the unvented ones are much better yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The standard Finnish word for condom is "kondomi", but the colloquial term is "kortsu", which is short for "kortonki", probably a play on "kartonki" i.e. paperboard, much like concrete is "betoni" but sometimes referred to as "petonki" a play on "patonki", i.e. french bread (which is technically a bread baton).

Oh uhh anyway, the guy who played Matlock played a racist grandfather in some movie and called them condrums and I wish I had a clip of that.

e: My dad used to say "orankitunki" instead of the standard "oranki" for an orangutan. Thanks for reading.

chinese calls it “safety covering” or “anti pregnancy sheath”