Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

The biggest question to me is what terrible quasi sporting event will preempt the Stanley Cup Finals on ESPN like the Kentucky Derby pre-race did on NBC. Water polo Olympic qualifiers? Overlook Championship semi finals? That marble race thing that was briefly popular at the start of the pandemic?

I guess we'll wait and see.
Kentucky Derby analysis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY71ljVzV28

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Western Conference games are a ratings nightmare because they're outside primetime on the east coast. ESPN is just going to pick the Eastern Conference Finals every year unless its an all Canadian matchup.

More east coast media bias.

I find it amusing that there’s basically nothing to watch past 10pm on the west coast, but they get their games pushed earlier than normal puck drop for the playoffs. Basically, why should the fans need to leave work and get to the rink for a 5pm puck drop in the Stanley Cup Finals. Make the east coast stay up late to watch instead.

I’m not a complete idiot and I know they need to sell ad spots, but it’s just disrespectful to the fans of the teams in the west on a work day.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Auston Matthews being Bieber’s best friend is number two or three on the list of most embarrassing things about him, the first obviously being his drunken pants-dropping harassment of Arizona residents and then maybe his fashion sense.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Koopa Kid posted:

Auston Matthews being Bieber’s best friend is number two or three on the list of most embarrassing things about him, the first obviously being his drunken pants-dropping harassment of Arizona residents and then maybe his fashion sense.

Where does his atrocity of a mustache rank on that list?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sharks trying to void E. Kane's contract because of Kane's bankruptcy or something

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mike_V posted:

So does this mean there will be even more blackouts on NHL.tv if there are more 'national' games? Or will things not change?

NHL.tv is gone. You’ll need to sub to ESPN+, and be subject to the same blackout restrictions that you had on NHL.tv.

The only unknown is whether you’ll only have to pay for ESPN+, or if you’ll have to pay for ESPN+ AND for an NHL add-on package or whatever. Everything they’ve said so far seems to suggest it’ll all be included in the base ESPN+ price, but I haven’t seen anyone specifically address this yet.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sharks trying to void E. Kane's contract because of Kane's bankruptcy or something

Sharks trying to dig up gambling debt on E. Karlsson

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

May not be the most appropriate place to talk about it but it's legit crazy how fast Disney became the biggest streaming player of all. They went on a buying spree and got drat near everything.

Does this mean NHL games would be on a streaming platform along with its regular content? Because as a consumer, that would be nice. We all cut the cord because $60+/mo for basic cable was ridiculous, and as much as I like sports in general I'm not down with any $250/year/league offerings, even if they could fix the draconian blackout rules and allow subscribers to actually watch their own team.

It would be nice to have a legal way to watch a sport without having to first be a die hard fan of that sport. Just turn something on when you're sorta bored like it used to be.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
my spicy take is, that i don't give a gently caress where or how many americans watch their hockey, because who cares about them, they can watch college kids play basketball in spokane or whatever the gently caress

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
gonna lol when the first abc final is toronto-edmonton or some variation on canada only

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

clean ayers act posted:

gonna lol when the first abc final is toronto-edmonton or some variation on canada only

you can start lolling now if you think toronto is ever getting past the first round

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ThinkTank posted:

The biggest question to me is what terrible quasi sporting event will preempt the Stanley Cup Finals on ESPN like the Kentucky Derby pre-race did on NBC. Water polo Olympic qualifiers? Overlook Championship semi finals? That marble race thing that was briefly popular at the start of the pandemic?

Stephen A Smith and some other blowhard with opinions discussing Artemi Panarin's anti-Putin views.

E-

fisting by many posted:

Does this mean NHL games would be on a streaming platform along with its regular content? Because as a consumer, that would be nice. We all cut the cord because $60+/mo for basic cable was ridiculous, and as much as I like sports in general I'm not down with any $250/year/league offerings, even if they could fix the draconian blackout rules and allow subscribers to actually watch their own team.

It would be nice to have a legal way to watch a sport without having to first be a die hard fan of that sport. Just turn something on when you're sorta bored like it used to be.

Streaming services were novel when they started because they were cheaper and there were like 3, but it's well past the point that everyone and their brother has their own and, if you want a little bit of everything, it will almost cost more than cable.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 10, 2021

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

what i am saying here is that i think the russians have as much right to their sphere of influence as do we and i think putin is the man to make that happen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Streaming services were novel when they started because they were cheaper and there were like 3, but it's well past the point that everyone and their brother has their own and, if you want a little bit of everything, it will almost cost more than cable.

Unless you need constant access to a bunch of networks you can save some money. New Disney show? Pay for a month and watch it then cancel. New HBO show? Pay for a month then cancel.

Yeah it's a little more work but at least none of them have complex cancellation, just login and click the cancel button. Even after paying for NHL.tv we're spending way less a year than we did for cable, it's maybe $30 a month all told.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
ESPN cant shoehorn their current way of covering sports to hockey because im not sure they realize that most hockey players have the personalities of robots
no subtweets to spend 30 minutes on first take about

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

clean ayers act posted:

ESPN cant shoehorn their current way of covering sports to hockey because im not sure they realize that most hockey players have the personalities of robots
no subtweets to spend 30 minutes on first take about

"Just gotta get pucks in deep 'n finish our checks, boys."

"Interesting insight. Max Kellerman, what do you think the message was that Seth Jones was trying to get across there? How do you think this will affect their budding rivalry with Carolina Panthers?"

"Well, I think it's a shot across the bow. We all know there's been tension in the past between Jones and Teddy Bridgewater, so..."

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Baby Yoda between the boards.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

goldrush posted:

my spicy take is, that i don't give a gently caress where or how many americans watch their hockey, because who cares about them, they can watch college kids play basketball in spokane or whatever the gently caress

Nobody goes to Spokane, so the joke's on you.

Honestly, I just don't want to pay $250/month for sports cable with a bunch of garbage cable channels of non-sports that I'll never watch. Like I don't need HGTV or reruns of Psych on USA because it's 40% commercials and yikes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

Unless you need constant access to a bunch of networks you can save some money. New Disney show? Pay for a month and watch it then cancel. New HBO show? Pay for a month then cancel.

Yeah it's a little more work but at least none of them have complex cancellation, just login and click the cancel button. Even after paying for NHL.tv we're spending way less a year than we did for cable, it's maybe $30 a month all told.

the other problem is figuring out where a series has gone if it's not an exclusive and just some license you like watching. like up here in canada I was gonna watch law and order criminal intent next, but it's apparently leaving amazon prime later this month and going who knows where

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Arivia posted:

the other problem is figuring out where a series has gone if it's not an exclusive and just some license you like watching. like up here in canada I was gonna watch law and order criminal intent next, but it's apparently leaving amazon prime later this month and going who knows where

there's also the part where canadian amazon prime has like six shows (well, five now)

Great if you live in the US, any other country and a lot of western media is completely unavailable.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Arivia posted:

South Park was on Netflix, then South Park Studios with all episodes free, then South Park Studios powered by Hulu with some free but most paywalled, then just Hulu, and now it's on HBO Max. I'm not sure if it's on Paramount Plus or not, but it would be logical given its a Viacom product.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Where does his atrocity of a mustache rank on that list?

Actually Auston is exploring his cultural heritage via tribute to a Netflix show that nobody cares about anymore and I think we should support his endeavour to look like a dollar store Pedro Pascal

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ThinkTank posted:

Jovial Cow posted:

NBA G League

I know this is a joke, but ESPN also has the rights to the NBA and airs the NBA Finals on ABC. They also get the rights to one of the conference finals (TNT gets the other, rotating depending on the year). If they run into both NHL and NBA games being on the same night and both are intended to be on ABC, it'd be 99% that the NHL gets bumped to cable. And since ESPN also has the rights to MLB, and if they're airing something that draws (Yankess-Red Sox or whatever), then it wouldn't surprise me at all if an NHL playoff game (Potentially in the conference or Stanley Cup finals round!) then ends up on ESPN2 or ESPNEWS, unless the broadcast rights somehow stipulate that playoff/finals games must air on ABC or main ESPN, which feels incredibly unlikely...

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

fartknocker posted:

I know this is a joke, but ESPN also has the rights to the NBA and airs the NBA Finals on ABC. They also get the rights to one of the conference finals (TNT gets the other, rotating depending on the year). If they run into both NHL and NBA games being on the same night and both are intended to be on ABC, it'd be 99% that the NHL gets bumped to cable. And since ESPN also has the rights to MLB, and if they're airing something that draws (Yankess-Red Sox or whatever), then it wouldn't surprise me at all if an NHL playoff game (Potentially in the conference or Stanley Cup finals round!) then ends up on ESPN2 or ESPNEWS, unless the broadcast rights somehow stipulate that playoff/finals games must air on ABC or main ESPN, which feels incredibly unlikely...

Stanley Cup Finals and NBA Finals are never scheduled on the same days (under normal circumstances anyway). Conference finals will probably be on ESPN rather than ABC anyway and they won't care if it clashes with NBA.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
:siren:

quote:

So, the big question. How interested would Thorne be in connecting with ESPN again to call games?

“I’d love to talk to them about it,” Thorne said.

Thorne said neither he nor his agent had reached out to ESPN yet but said he would love to hear the details.

“I’d love to talk about it with ESPN and see what direction they’re going to take with it, what the schedule is going to look like, all of that,” he said. “But from the primary foundational question of, ‘Is that something that interests me?’ Yes, it does.”

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

if you aren't mentally preparing yourself for some Bucci & Barry commentary teams, you're not thinking with ESPN brain

also gary thorne is way too old to be doing this poo poo, don't bring him back

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

OldSenileGuy posted:

NHL.tv is gone. You’ll need to sub to ESPN+, and be subject to the same blackout restrictions that you had on NHL.tv.

The only unknown is whether you’ll only have to pay for ESPN+, or if you’ll have to pay for ESPN+ AND for an NHL add-on package or whatever. Everything they’ve said so far seems to suggest it’ll all be included in the base ESPN+ price, but I haven’t seen anyone specifically address this yet.

This is what I'm expecting (at least for people in the US), but I'm wondering what they will do for the overseas streaming market. As someone who does not live in the US or Canada, NHL.tv works great for me since they allow international subscriptions (with no blackouts). ESPN+ does not work at all outside the US, and my country (Korea) still doesn't even have Disney+ so I'm really hoping I don't get totally hosed here.

e: guess I missed the part of the statement where they mention international stuff, but it would be nice to get some info for anyone not in "parts of europe"

quote:

International rights in Latin America, the Caribbean and parts of Europe are also part of the deal, as are extensive highlight rights for ESPN's digital platforms.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 11, 2021

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1369818343906107394?s=19

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That is an A+ jersey foul.

Dying for somebody to get the player on their team they hate the most on a Krakens jersey before the expansion draft.

Don't bring back Thorne without Clement. :colbert:

I hate hate hate most of ESPN's talking heads programs. Just a bunch of meat-heads talking in circles. Actual journalism like Outside the Lines, or 30 for 30 are ok, but on the whole I'm not interested in anything other than the actual games. As far as the costs go, I'm going to illegally stream games anyway, so :shrug:.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
The Habs @ Canucks game tonight doesn't start until 8pm Vancouver time, so you should all be cheering for another Vancouver shootout victory, which would mean some Habs fans would stay up until 2am to watch a loss.

Also cheer for Benning to be fired please.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1369837285940813827

The Oilers had more goals (6) than the Sens had shots (4) halfway through this game.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1369837285940813827

The Oilers had more goals (6) than the Sens had shots (4) halfway through this game.

This Sens team is really bad, and Matt Murray is somehow worse

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Where the gently caress are these Sens whenever my team plays them?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1369839215425511427

'grats to that dude

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/mckennaconor/status/1369799365116633088

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1369858123075362816

Somehow I think Draisaitl is going to be at the top of this list at the end of the season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:laffo:

Related, I wonder if there will be any defections from NBC to ESPN. I could see Pierre telling NBC to take his demotion and shove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

CBJSprague24 posted:

:laffo:

Related, I wonder if there will be any defections from NBC to ESPN. I could see Pierre telling NBC to take his demotion and shove it.

Maybe, but possibly not. NBC will still probably have the other half of the contract.