Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Steakandchips posted:

I've been interviewing internally and externally since maybe September.

We got our bonus and raise announcements last month. Bonus will be paid out in 2 weeks time. 8% bonus, meh. 3% raise, poo poo.

Last week I asked my boss if I could have the last week of March off and it was approved. This would mean I've cleared out all my leave for last year (leave calendar starts on 1 April).

I've received an offer for a promotion (comes with a 20% raise) and a transfer to a different department in the same company; I just gave notice to my current manager after confirming it with HR that, yes, I keep the bonus.

I've also timed it so that my new role starts the day I get back from leave.

:yotj:

gently caress yeah, get your money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks mate, yeah, quite pleased.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

A Fancy Hat posted:

Upper management: Why the HELL are people so angry here? And why is turnover so high?

More likely, upper management high five each other every time someone leaves because of the bonus/redundancy money they don't have to pay out (even if they weren't going to spend that money either way)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I remember being told about someone at work who did a month in prison and no one knew about it because he just took annual leave.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I remember being told about someone at work who did a month in prison and no one knew about it because he just took annual leave.

Lmao, chill in prison for a month and still get PTO.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Kuros posted:

Lmao, chill in prison for a month and still get PTO.

Prison Time Off

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

72nd bday virgin posted:

Prison Time Off

There has to be a company somewhere where this is just a formal absence reason.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pekinduck posted:

Trump administration?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Outrail posted:

I bought a bunch of toilet paper for the office and it turns out it was crappy single ply. Whoops.
Organic alternatives such as seashells and rocks are also available at minimal cost

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Xlorp posted:

Organic alternatives such as seashells and rocks are also available at minimal cost

Imagine not knowing how to use the three seashells.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Trump administration?

Jurisdiction:
( ) State
( ) Federal

Type of crime:
( ) Work related
( ) Personal

Email pardon request to supervisor?
( ) Yes
( ) No

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Outrail posted:

I bought a bunch of toilet paper for the office and it turns out it was crappy single ply. Whoops.

Out of all the awful, atrocious, borderline illegal, malicious, thoughtless, idiotic, and downright monstrous things documented in this thread, this is by far the worst.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Time_pants posted:

Out of all the awful, atrocious, borderline illegal, malicious, thoughtless, idiotic, and downright monstrous things documented in this thread, this is by far the worst.

Afraid you'll be getting in touch with your inner self if you use some one-ply?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Time_pants posted:

I buy 1-ply for home use.
Serious, though: isn't 1-ply office standard? Never been in any workplace it wasn't what was provided.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

1 ply just means take 14 squares and fold them up before you wipe

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

1 ply is false economy in an office. People just use 2-3 times as much. People who buy it for home use are often the type to shower in their clothes to save money on the associated costs of doing laundry.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tarkus posted:

1 ply is false economy in an office. People just use 2-3 times as much. People who buy it for home use are often the type to shower in their clothes to save money on the associated costs of doing laundry.

my dad tried pulling this bullshit and got instantly shut down by my mom. he also would wake up, turn the tv on, and then leave and get pissed if it wasn't on when he got back. because turning it off and on would just make it more likely to break.

whatever the gently caress happened to the thing in a couple years he had left it on so long that it shifted away from red and that tv was noticeably pumping out ultraviolet, you could hold stuff up to it and it worked like a blacklight. Only once it got to the point where you literally could not detect any red did he buy a new one, and he got pissed at the cheapo quality of the old they just don't make em like they used to :bahgawd:

a ton of dumbass boomer poo poo happened all the time in the office too, with printers and poo poo like that.

My boss would never ever do any kind of calculations for pricing just kinda take what we paid and double them, poo poo like that.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
So, I am contracted by a time-share company to do security for a local company, up till recently we were four people having to provide 24/7 coverage, so we all basically work different amounts of 12 hours shifts that end up with someone being always here. Now, one guy got sick which means his shifts had to be picked up by the rest of us which sucks a lot as I am the only non-old, closeby living and also capable of doing both day and nightshift working guy out of this group, so let's just say the last few weeks have been hell. I could go into more details and I imagine it would be enough content for this thread already but oh no, there is some bigger issue right now.

You see, my company has hired a sub-contractor to send people over as needed to take some of the pressure off of us. Of course communication on how and what has been kinda crap, especially from this other contractor and it has turned into quite a shitshow. Normally, anyone new would need to do about two days of supervised shifts before we let them at it alone. Usually one shift that they get to watch us do the work and we explain all the important parts and various details, then one where they sit in the big chair and we are mostly there to give advice as necessary and see how they do. How it has gone so far with the sub-contractor:

One guy showed up for introduction to dayshift, left near the end and did not come back. One actually did both day and nightshift and except for being a bit awkward went perfectly alright. Another guy came for a single nightshift and was actually decent enough that he knew the route for doing the rounds by himself halfway through the shift already so we figured he would be fine. There was one red flag as the last one mentioned he was scheduled for doing dayshift work already despite not being introduced to it. Ended up asking my boss, who talked with their boss and they got reassured that the sub-contractor is aware and taking it into consideration, so at the time I figured that one or two of those shifts were together with us.

Then the first proper workday for the sub-contractor came. First dayshift went fine, the guy who got trained in both showed up and I heard no complaints from anyone about that yet. Yesterday, two days after that dayshift was nightshift and I figured either of the two who got trained in it would work it. Except, as I found out coming to work this morning, someone entirely new showed up who had not even been here before, and in fact a coworker of mine had to drive over here on a half hour commute on his day off to tell him what he was actually supposed to do. Already I heard about doors being left open to offices, other stuff that we have to do during the shift forgotten about and we got really lucky nothing broke as who knows where he even checked during his rounds.

So, basically the sub-contractor seems to give no shits about who to send, my coworkers are starting to get pretty annoyed and the people at the actual company we do the security work at are already talking rumors about the utter shitshow this is turning into. No info from my boss yet and to be honest I would love to not care and watch the chaos unfold if this wasn't all directly related to whether or not I would go back to working like 60 hours per week :v: Oh well, this weekend is two dayshifts in a row for them so I am sure having a potentially completely new person walking around the factory floor completely alone is not gonna be a issue at all, safety and otherwise.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why do you give a poo poo?

Let the idiot contractors gently caress up by sending new people for shifts they were supposed to send trained people for.

Just be sure to point out to management how the contractor hosed up when they do.

And don't agree to do back to back shifts etc. Use an excuse like "prior personal commitments.".

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pekinduck posted:

I think it is fairly standard now, but my previous employer had a policy that you couldn't be fired for missing time to attend rehab programs, whether court ordered or voluntary. The number of severe alcoholics and opioid addicts that worked there and swore they didn't have a problem suggested the "court ordered" part was made use of more than the "voluntary."

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Tarkus posted:

People who buy it for home use are often the type to shower in their clothes to save money on the associated costs of doing laundry.

Nah (for me at least), it's just what Aldi carries & a given package lasts a little longer in my experience than any of the fancy stuff, for paying less. I can see your point though.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

THE DUMBSHIT MY WORK DID WAS CHANGE THE INTERNET SETTINGS AND NOW I CAN'T GET TO MY FAVORITE INTERNET WEBSITE SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SniperWoreConverse posted:

my dad tried pulling this bullshit and got instantly shut down by my mom. he also would wake up, turn the tv on, and then leave and get pissed if it wasn't on when he got back. because turning it off and on would just make it more likely to break.

whatever the gently caress happened to the thing in a couple years he had left it on so long that it shifted away from red and that tv was noticeably pumping out ultraviolet, you could hold stuff up to it and it worked like a blacklight. Only once it got to the point where you literally could not detect any red did he buy a new one, and he got pissed at the cheapo quality of the old they just don't make em like they used to :bahgawd:

a ton of dumbass boomer poo poo happened all the time in the office too, with printers and poo poo like that.

My boss would never ever do any kind of calculations for pricing just kinda take what we paid and double them, poo poo like that.

Lol wow. We had a Mr. Dink neighbor who was vaguely an artist (inherited multiple apt buildings in Seattle) and totally indifferent to wasting money. They’d run their hot tub 24/7/365 just in case someone wanted to use it, even if they were away for weeks at their beach house. Also the only person I know who hired a “dog whisperer” (it didn’t work.)

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Why do you give a poo poo?

Let the idiot contractors gently caress up by sending new people for shifts they were supposed to send trained people for.

Just be sure to point out to management how the contractor hosed up when they do.

And don't agree to do back to back shifts etc. Use an excuse like "prior personal commitments.".

Think my biggest issue is that I am just the type of person to care, even if I have been trying to tell myself that I should just sit back and enjoy the fireworks so to speak. Does not help that the scheduling and such is an actual problem I "have" to worry about as normally the coworker who is sick is the one who schedules how we work and with him gone I am now the guy who has to do it as the only one who can work with computers well enough :v: Technically speaking I could also just throw my hands up in the air and say I couldn't do it, but then the task of scheduling would go to our boss, and part of why we do it ourselves is so we can talk internally who needs time off during certain days and such.

The biggest issue is just that we always need someone here and so far the work culture has been extremely "we need to make it work out somehow" (and until one guy got sick for two months, it was usually doable even with some issues here and there), in fact when I was hired this was something I was explicitly told about.

Anyway, more dumb poo poo at work: The company I work at never paying for stuff, and only last minute if needed. Pretty sure they have debt to several companies and part of the reason why equipment are not getting repaired or replaced that have been broken for years by now. In fact, even our tool which was supposed to keep track of where we went during our rounds broke so this company could literally not tell if I had spent a weekend shift just dicking around and watching youtube (Not that I would ever abuse that knowledge :v:)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
One place I worked had little RFID stickers on the walls for the security staff to swipe on their rounds. The first time they put them up they didn't tell anyone else in the building about this new system and so the next day the cleaners went round the building peeling all the strange stickers off the walls and chucking them in with the rest of the rubbish.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Batterypowered7 posted:

Afraid you'll be getting in touch with your inner self if you use some one-ply?

Yes... :(

:)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also the only person I know who hired a “dog whisperer” (it didn’t work.)

A quick side tangent from the main thread topic - this is a complicated one. There's a lot of "pet whisperer" bunk science out there that clouds the field, but legit professionals can be very helpful & useful. Absolutely requires commitment on the owner's end to make things work, though. The shelter I work with is a Jackson Galaxy Cat Pawsitive Program participant, and working with the instructor that came out seriously helped several of our guys come out of their shells and find homes they never would have otherwise. But that took commitment on shelter staff's part to keep that sort of training and understanding going. If we'd just had someone show up, do it once, and then not give a poo poo about keeping it up, never would have worked.

Sorry, I know it's a tangent - just worth the insight that not everything along those lines is BS.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

goatface posted:

One place I worked had little RFID stickers on the walls for the security staff to swipe on their rounds. The first time they put them up they didn't tell anyone else in the building about this new system and so the next day the cleaners went round the building peeling all the strange stickers off the walls and chucking them in with the rest of the rubbish.

What I'm hearing is you could replace the stickers with dummies, and scan one long line of rfdi chips without leaving the break room

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

What I'm hearing is you could replace the stickers with dummies, and scan one long line of rfdi chips without leaving the break room
Correct way to use these, adding to their disposable nature, is to put them in new spots every day/week to avoid both them wandering into the security shack as well as training your guys that rounds means laser focusing on scanning 5 things in specific previously known places and gently caress all else.

E. Although security proof of work systems with barcodes or RFID are overpriced and overly complicated compared to just clipping laminated cards of various sizes with text on them "this is a terrorist. Normal staff do not touch. Security please apprehend this terrorist"

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 11, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How hard is it to have a 'security' cell phone with a gps tracker on it? Avenza is free and is granular enough to show movement from room to room. Talk about over complicating things

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

hmmm ok so this is "normal"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
the other go-two would be make someone call all the competitors (DON"T LET OUR NUMBER GET ON CALLER ID) and ask what their prices were for stuff, and then average it out.

Also that doubling thing, i'm pretty sure some of the people we sold to would do that as well so lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

An old coworker of mine was an alcoholic and maybe a pill-popper.
She crashed her car in a neighboring state and used her phone call to tell us she would be "sick" for at least three days. Our policy was that you had to call every day unless you had a doctor's note that specified a timespan.

My boss couldn't get a hold of her, obviously, and when she returned she looked more haggard than normal. We checked the arrest records of the town we knew her parents lived (because she never shut up about them) and YEP there was her mugshot.

Still didn't get fired, somehow, and I will never get over it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Outrail posted:

How hard is it to have a 'security' cell phone with a gps tracker on it? Avenza is free and is granular enough to show movement from room to room. Talk about over complicating things

I think if you need to have actual real serious legal proof for real that person x was in room y at time z then it is not going to be particularly cheap to do it with gps, depending on some things.

It was years back but the systems they use involve using gps and cellular triangulation, and even then there would be weird velocity distortions and poo poo that meant there was a certain amount of uncertainty at all times. Being in certain kinds of buildings would drastically reduce accuracy and could even mean total lost signal if they went underground or something.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I think if you need to have actual real serious legal proof for real that person x was in room y at time z then it is not going to be particularly cheap to do it with gps, depending on some things.

It was years back but the systems they use involve using gps and cellular triangulation, and even then there would be weird velocity distortions and poo poo that meant there was a certain amount of uncertainty at all times. Being in certain kinds of buildings would drastically reduce accuracy and could even mean total lost signal if they went underground or something.

I work with data where we do this with vehicles on site and you absolutely see all sorts of weird stuff.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just had an interview with a company in LA county, which is under a mask mandate as in 'you are not allowed to choose whether to wear a mask at work, you must' and within 2 minutes of getting there shared space with ten people, all maskless, was offered water from a communal water cooler, and someone tried to shake my hand. i asked the lady i was supposed to interview with if they were not following Covid protocol and she said 'oh we're not forcing anyone to wear a mask or anything'.

i said i felt extremely unsafe, and bailed. im pretty pissed that they put me at risk like that

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

Do you want hackers with video game esque line of sight maps because this is how we get hackers with line of sight maps.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

boar guy posted:

just had an interview with a company in LA county, which is under a mask mandate as in 'you are not allowed to choose whether to wear a mask at work, you must' and within 2 minutes of getting there shared space with ten people, all maskless, was offered water from a communal water cooler, and someone tried to shake my hand. i asked the lady i was supposed to interview with if they were not following Covid protocol and she said 'oh we're not forcing anyone to wear a mask or anything'.

i said i felt extremely unsafe, and bailed. im pretty pissed that they put me at risk like that

Hey it's on you if you don't want to sacrifice your life for a company that probably won't care about you. The rest of us, are fine with it.

*puts ventilator back in*

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

zedprime posted:

Do you want hackers with video game esque line of sight maps because this is how we get hackers with line of sight maps.

There's a business plan, sell gps tracker apps to security firms, HUD headsets to cat burglars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Inzombiac posted:

An old coworker of mine was an alcoholic and maybe a pill-popper.
She crashed her car in a neighboring state and used her phone call to tell us she would be "sick" for at least three days. Our policy was that you had to call every day unless you had a doctor's note that specified a timespan.

My boss couldn't get a hold of her, obviously, and when she returned she looked more haggard than normal. We checked the arrest records of the town we knew her parents lived (because she never shut up about them) and YEP there was her mugshot.

Still didn't get fired, somehow, and I will never get over it.

Yikes. We had someone in an adjacent dept get arrested for a warrant in the parking lot. He was released soon after and simply never came back despite still having a job, with zero outreach to anyone. After a month they shrugged and terminated him. He was a good worker, and could have requested time off to get things in order and they would have assisted. Instead now he has no income/insurance on top of whatever else is going on.