Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, work is kicking my butt this week. We just had one of largest customers place an insane order, double their pre covid order levels. They want lots of this stuff and it means basically unlimited overtime and I am here for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

tangy yet delightful posted:

I liked (well as much as one can like taxes) using Turbotax over the last 10 or so years. This year I'm having the CPA we use for the business also do our personal return but I'm assuming turbotax is still decent.
Turbotax is decent from all I've heard, and Mrs. Slidebite uses it too, but Intuit (the mother company) spends millions lobbying both the US and Canadian governments to NOT pursue super easy or even automatic tax filling for the masses and try to keep it at least somewhat complicated, if intimidating to most because its their big cash cow. May want to consider alternatives due to that alone. Planetmoney did a short look into it a while back:
https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2019/04/03/709656642/episode-760-tax-hero

T-Square posted:

I just started Yellowstone over the weekend and am already halfway through season 2, it’s been a while since a show really sucked me in like this one. Recommend it if any of y’all have Peacock!
Funny you mention that. Dad, when he became bed/chair bound, started watching it and got totally into it. Even laying in the hospital bed hardly keeping his eyes open and couldn't move, he'd fire up the tablet with his bit of strength and motor control and watch it. So yeah, I need to watch that for sure.

He passed away last night at 02h15 :(

We have already been mourning him for the last month or so, so this will allow us, especially Mom, start to move forward.

Also:

gently caress CANCER

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Sorry slidebite. :glomp:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Condolences, slidebite.

gently caress cancer.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Condolences, slidebite.

gently caress cancer.

Condolences. Seriously, gently caress cancer.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slidebite posted:

We have already been mourning him for the last month or so, so this will allow us, especially Mom, start to move forward.

Also:

gently caress CANCER

This is the part I’ve been struggling with, I feel like I’ve mourned a half a dozen separate times and at this point I know it’s coming and I’m just ready for it to happen so I can start the process of moving on and healing, and that makes me feel like an absolute garbage human being.

I’m sorry to hear that, but I hope he’s in a better place and at peace now. My sincere condolences to you and Mrs. Slidebite, and the street goes both ways, feel free to PM me if you need to.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

gently caress CANCER

Amen. Condolences, it's a lovely way to go; slowly.

My mom goes in for chemo today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks guys. It's appreciated. We're doing OK.

Just don't feel like doing much today.. Would like to sit around and play Doom or MSFS. Work is busier than hell so that's not an option. It'll just make Friday twice as bad.

In addition to gently caress cancer, if you still do it, quit smoking.

Please.

Stepdad was a pack a day smoker for 30+ years but stopped completely around 5-7 years ago. Lung cancer still got him. I smoked pretty heavily for about 7-8 years (20 years ago) and can only hope I didn't do irreparable damage myself. Don't think it's too late.

sharkytm posted:

My mom goes in for chemo today.
Good luck to your mom. I'm sure you know this, but not all cancers are a death sentence, not by a long shot. We're miles above where we were only a few years ago with some cancers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

He passed away last night at 02h15 :(

Also:

gently caress CANCER

I'm so sorry Slidebite, gently caress CANCER.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That's terrible, slidebite, condolences.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sorry Slidebite.

T-Square posted:

This is the part I’ve been struggling with, I feel like I’ve mourned a half a dozen separate times and at this point I know it’s coming and I’m just ready for it to happen so I can start the process of moving on and healing, and that makes me feel like an absolute garbage human being.

And no, you don't need to feel like a garbage human being because mourning is different for everyone and nobody can tell you you're doing it wrong. Being with someone with an illness with no recovery is exactly like you say, one long mourning process. Please don't feel bad about how you're dealing with it, you are absolutely not a bad person.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slidebite posted:

gently caress CANCER
gently caress Cancer :glomp:

T-Square posted:

You're not a garbage human being, you've stuck with her through all of this and having someone to deal with stuff like this with helps way more than you can imagine. :glomp:

~26 hours after first Moderna shot, arm hurts but headache is mostly gone. Didn't sleep for poo poo last night and during an earlier nap, mostly due to arm pain if I move. Have more range of motion now so the arm isn't completely useless.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm a few minutes shy of 26 hours after my 2nd Moderna shot. I can't lift my left arm much at all. It was a little less sore from the first one for a good 2 weeks, but I had full range of motion within a day or two. Body aches are so, so much worse than they were with the first shot.

Fever just smacked me pretty good in the past hour or so (~102), that'll be fun when I go to pick up the Matrix (they temp check everyone before you can go in, and apparently I was already at 99.7 when I dropped it off). May have to just pick it up tomorrow. I'm not in any rush, the thing gets driven so little that it only gets one oil change a year (Mobil 1 high mileage with a Toyota filter), and Brokeback is here. 96k miles in nearly 17 years should tell a lot about how seldom it gets used. I don't think I could even handle the clutch right now anyway, body aches have gotten so much worse through the day.

e: welp, dealer just called and confirmed something I've been suspecting, it needs LCA bushings, the alignment is hosed 5 ways from Sunday. I need to order a window regulator for a friend's car anyway, looks like it's time to throw money at Rockauto. :homebrew:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 11, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

STR posted:

I'm a few minutes shy of 26 hours after my 2nd Moderna shot. I can't lift my left arm much at all. It was a little less sore from the first one for a good 2 weeks, but I had full range of motion within a day or two. Body aches are so, so much worse than they were with the first shot.

I got my second dose of Pfizer about an hour ago. So far so good, will update later. I took tomorrow off of work for unrelated reasons, but I might spend it in bed.

poo poo, I'm sorry slidebite. I hope y'all are able to move forward gracefully.

Re taxes, I decided to hire a CPA this year in lieu of paying Intuit again. Significant chunks of my income are going to start coming from stock now that I've been at my new job for more than a year, so I want a professional to sort that out.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Sorry Slidebite. :(

Regarding Dad-back: Yeah, it sucks a lot early on. poo poo, I pulled something before he arrived getting the carseat set up in my car. I also feel like the first year was a lot of being sore due to pulled muscles from hauling him and his carseat around. Sitting in weird spots and ways probably didn't help. After a while, it's like my core caught up and I didn't feel beat up all the time. Of course, he started daycare so I was just sick all the time instead!

Now we get to find out how much core I retained, because #2 will be here midyear. :ohdear:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

T-Square posted:

When my mom was sick she used to say "I'm so cold" all the time and it used to annoy me so much. I don't know why since it was such a little thing and I did feel bad that she felt cold all the time but I would think just put on a sweater or something. I felt like such a piece of poo poo for thinking that and now I'd cut my arm off to hear her say that just one more time. I always wonder what I'll be thinking about last right before my own lights go out and I hope it's some beautiful moment from my life but it will probably be that lovely feeling I get when I think about how I got annoyed at my sick mom

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Condolences slidebite.

gently caress cancer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We've lost a few to cancer, gently caress that loving poo poo.

Condolences slidebite.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tangy yet delightful posted:

I liked (well as much as one can like taxes) using Turbotax over the last 10 or so years. This year I'm having the CPA we use for the business also do our personal return but I'm assuming turbotax is still decent.

Wife was initially using H&R Block. Switching to TurboTax dropped the bill $500 or so, so that's something, So much for my stimulus...
I can't even create an account to look at tax things on the IRS website, because "A condition has been identified that is preventing your access to IRS online services. You will not be able to use this service. Please click "Continue" to view alternatives."
Alternatives are:
-You can request an Account Transcript. Please note that each Account Transcript only covers a single tax year, and may not show the most recent penalties, interest, changes or pending actions.
-If you're a business, or an individual who filed a form other than 1040, you can obtain a transcript by submitting Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

Well, thanks! Al;so thanks for the very vague "reason" why I can't do this, and/or how to fix it. I *think* it's because we had to lock down our filings when someone else tried to file as us some years ago, but, as noted, that was some years ago, and I don't remember details.

It also doesn't help that I get unreasonably angry whenever I have to deal with anything related to taxes. The IRS is so needlessly obtuse. It's almost like their job is to steal as much money from me as possible without explanation...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

slidebite posted:

Just don't feel like doing much today.. Would like to sit around and play Doom or MSFS. Work is busier than hell so that's not an option. It'll just make Friday twice as bad.

Please.

That's exactly what I'm struggling with my pops now. He's doing chemo for lung cancer and still smoking. I finally made an appointment FOR him since he wouldn't to see his normal doctor and got him on wellbutrin and a refill of chantix to start trying to curb his smoking again. He's doing much better but still smokes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

gently caress CANCER

Yeah, with you there.

STR posted:

e: welp, dealer just called and confirmed something I've been suspecting, it needs LCA bushings, the alignment is hosed 5 ways from Sunday. I need to order a window regulator for a friend's car anyway, looks like it's time to throw money at Rockauto. :homebrew:

If you were still somewhat local, I'd offer my garage and tools. Unfortunately, you're just a bit out of range...
I'd do the control arms, so you don't need a press. At least on our Kia, it wasn't a whole lot more expensive than just the bushings, surprisingly.

edit:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

re tax software although Free Tax USA sounds like some sort of Cato-adjacent PAC it is actually good, free, and not affiliated with Intuit. you do have to pay 13 bucks to file state, though.

There's also a tax thread in BFC that is generally useful.

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Somehow we made $10K more this year, which offset the withholding adjustments my wife made to her W2, we think. Speaking of, have you *seen* how they do the W2 now? You can't just follow a little checklist and then say # withholdings. No, they expect you to know how much you will make next year, with this over-complicated calculation - which specifically said that we should only make the withholding adjustment on ONE of our W2s. Thanks for that. Also, we're getting charged $10 for not withholding enough taxes. gently caress. You. IRS.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 11, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah definitely ordering complete LCAs, I have no interest in pressing bushings in/out. They just sent me a video (?!?!) of everything they found, the RF LCA bushing is totally detached. LF is still attached, but lots of cracks in it (and obviously they're suggesting replacing both). LCAs aren't too hard to do; it's also a rust free car that spent half of its life in the desert, the rest here, with some automatic rustproofing starting (they're suggesting an oil pan gasket and timing cover reseal). It's barely damp, so not exactly something I'm worried about. They missed the power steering leak, but it's barely seeping (I have a junkyard reservoir and return hose... somewhere).

The only surprises they found was the timing cover leak and a dirty cabin filter... I uh, didn't know it had one. :downsgun: It's been changed before, but not in a very long time. Tires are all between 4/32 and 5/32, so it'll need those soon. Rear drum shoes are original and still have a lot of life left, fronts had 8mm left (so probably a year or so). Oh, they also wound up replacing the engine computer; it'd been inspected before and didn't fall into the serial # range, but apparently that got expanded over the years, so it got that too. Amazed that they had one on the shelf, but it's a pretty large dealer.

I have a garage, jackstands, and a cordless impact, so aside from the neighbors above my garage going "WTF IS THAT NOISE" when I break out the impact, it should be pretty easy to do the LCAs. The car looks essentially new on the bottom once you get past the oil pan. I sent you the video on FB, not too bad for a 2005.

e: just checked Rockauto, none of the LCAs include ball joints. :argh: So $40 per LCA, $15 per ball joint (or $25 per bushing). Why can't they just sell them with the ball joints already installed :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 11, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Somehow we made $10K more this year, which offset the withholding adjustments my wife made to her W2, we think. Speaking of, have you *seen* how they do the W2 now? You can't just follow a little checklist and then say # withholdings. No, they expect you to know how much you will make next year, with this over-complicated calculation - which specifically said that we should only make the withholding adjustment on ONE of our W2s. Thanks for that. Also, we're getting charged $10 for not withholding enough taxes. gently caress. You. IRS.

the new W-4 is significantly better in most cases but with variable income it is more difficult.

the important thing is not how much is withheld or not, it's what your total tax burden is. all withholding does is adjust when you pay taxes. If you're paying penalties you significantly under withheld. It's definitely complicated and frustrating but I doubt you're actually getting ripped off.

Agree that the tax code is pretty hosed and in a normal country you don't really have to deal with this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Really, most of my rage isn't from "having to pay taxes"; it's from "having to expend significant effort dicking around paying taxes."
We all have to pay taxes unless you're rich, but why do you have to make it so difficult to do so?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Computer speaker chat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...T&ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are on sale and they're supposed to be really good if anyone is still looking.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Really, most of my rage isn't from "having to pay taxes"; it's from "having to expend significant effort dicking around paying taxes."
We all have to pay taxes unless you're rich, but why do you have to make it so difficult to do so?

the complexity is a necessary feature to hide the fact that the wealthy have enormous opportunities to minimize their tax burdens

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

mariooncrack posted:

Computer speaker chat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...T&ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are on sale and they're supposed to be really good if anyone is still looking.

These are the ones I bought a year ago, they work pretty well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0151K2AB0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

the complexity is a necessary feature to hide the fact that the wealthy have enormous opportunities to minimize their tax burdens

The complexity is also a good way to get people even more averse to actually paying taxes.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Please.

Stepdad was a pack a day smoker for 30+ years but stopped completely around 5-7 years ago. Lung cancer still got him. I smoked pretty heavily for about 7-8 years (20 years ago) and can only hope I didn't do irreparable damage myself. Don't think it's too late.

Good luck to your mom. I'm sure you know this, but not all cancers are a death sentence, not by a long shot. We're miles above where we were only a few years ago with some cancers.

:hug:

I hear you. You stopped early, you've avoided most of the damage. The biggest thing is just loving stopping.

And yeah, it's crazy. This past Halloween was 5 years since her re-diagnosis. She's doing OK, all things considered. 3 brain tumors, all of which were one-shot killed with stereotactic radiation, 2 liver tumors, one of which isn't really growing, one in her lung that they cooked early on with the Gamma Knife, and one on her adrenal gland that seems to be very slow-growing. 10 years ago, she'd have been dead in a few years. It's just lovely watching her slowly decline. Every brain radiation dose chips something away from the statue of determination and ability that was my mother. It's like watching wind erosion, only with a person. Daily, you don't see much change, but once in a while, there's a storm and stuff just gets worn away or falls off. Adding to the shittiness is COVID, she lost a loving year of beating cancer being stuck in her house. No book club, no knitting, no lunches with friends.

Thanks for sharing, BTW. It's good to have people to share this poo poo with.

Alarbus posted:

Now we get to find out how much core I retained, because #2 will be here midyear. :ohdear:
You poor bastard. I've heard it's easier the second time.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Sorry for your loss - Been thru that with pretty much my entire immediate family - never gets easier, just becomes more bearable.

-

Glad I could contribute to the thread title!

I'm not fin'a post about the car in question until its actually arives and is secured in my driveway, I still can't believe it - its really the rarest car I'll ever own - however I've said this a few times before but this time I have really never actually seen a photo of another one, and when the car was offered to me, I didn't actually believe the guy that sold it to me. There are no photos of one online, so for what thats worth...

Taxes - I really don't want to deal with it, but because we had a baby last year there may be some more money in it for us - I don't have too much info to pour over so at least thats helpful.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, I knew that.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The complexity is also a good way to get people even more averse to actually paying taxes.

Possibly, but as someone else stated previously, it's also a good way to drive people to pay more money for software or a tax professional (that shouldn't be necessary).

I'm mainly just yelling at clouds, I know. Not being a rich person, I'm basically powerless.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got the Matrix back. I was previously told the ECU recall had been handled before (supposedly the dealer at that point decided "it doesn't fall within the serial # range"), but it was still showing as an open recall. Sure enough, it got a new one. The service writer told me they're not even bothering to open them up to look for cracks anymore, they just replace them if the recall is still open.

Pretty impressed with the dealer - they sent me a video detailing the issues they found, I let the service advisor know that I was aware of most of them and I'm fine tackling all of it myself (except the timing cover leak, that's just going to get ignored since it's barely weeping, and probably an engine-out job anyway), so they didn't even bother writing up a quote for any repairs. My only gripe is they drove me home, but didn't pick me back up - but when you're getting $1200 of recall work done (at 0.9 hours of labor, poor tech spent at least that much time doing the "multi-point inspection with video"), you can't get everything for free (Uber ride was only $12 + tip).

Several people at the dealer told me they hadn't seen a Matrix roll into the shop in years - and never had a 1st generation in their shop (this dealer has only been open 6 or 7 years). Porter commented that it was like sitting in a time capsule when he brought it up front, between the crank windows, lowish miles, and interior being in excellent shape. Pretty sure the car is almost as old as him.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 11, 2021

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I just use TurboTax, I’m a huge fan of the website Mint since before Intuit bought them so I’m ok giving them a little cash in spite of them being assholes. Taxes already filed because we are applying for preschools and some of them wanted this year’s taxes for financial aid consideration. Our 2020 income is pretty low since I was unemployed/SAHD. The charter business is starting to pick up again already this year though, if we all get our 5G injections we might have a semi-decent summer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you should not use TurboTax because Intuit spends a poo poo ton of money on lobbying to keep the tax code complex and reduce availability of free IRS provided services

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sorry slidebite. I hope the healing for all of you comes quickly.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Small Mod note -

Just as a bit of idea we're starting to experiment with is a Community Showcase - show off for a week (? maybe longer?) every now and then a thread that shows off just how good some of the projects and threads that we have in AI.

This week - The Spyder's tales and photodumps of rotary insanity

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562990

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Small Mod note -

Just as a bit of idea we're starting to experiment with is a Community Showcase - show off for a week (? maybe longer?) every now and then a thread that shows off just how good some of the projects and threads that we have in AI.

This week - The Spyder's tales and photodumps of rotary insanity

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3562990

Love the idea. Opens up the forums for people who don't scroll around much.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

slidebite :glomp: I’m so sorry you are going through something like that this year of all years.

For tax I use HR Taxcut. My dad buys it and I just do my taxes there. It’s pretty easy, put in my income from W-2, interest income(lol), charitable contributions, property tax stuff. Answer the questions of ‘do you have kids still? Did you have insurance?’

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Taxchat: I've done turbotax for the past 5 years I've lived in the US. This year though I had to get a guy to do them since Silicon Valley Liquidity Stuff happened, which was amazingly smooth - just send a bunch of stuff to him and he got everything wrapped up and we got a chunk of change back due to withholdings, getting married et c. Got our money back like 3 days after we filed.

... or so I thought, because apparently my employer goofed and didn't book the stock sale correctly on my W-2 and now they have to be re-done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've been using HR Block for like 5-6+ years because paying $30 a year or whatever it is to have some easy to use software that keeps electronic records of all my taxes in one place seemed pretty attractive.
Besides having to figure out how the gently caress to free file every year takes a minimum of 10 hours every goddamn time so gently caress it. I'll eat $3/hr.

I will say that all tax software is absolute dogshit if you have any sort of complicated tax filings. At that point you really need to be a tax master, have "a guy" or just loving use paper forms/workbooks from the IRS website because trying to figure out how to manipulate their poo poo simple wizard checkbox approach to present you with exactly the right form is a giant loving pain in the rear end.

Also, don't believe any of their "tax protection doublecheck guarantee" bullshit. I have mock filed WILDLY different and outright wrong returns from year to year just out of curiosity and it doesn't give a gently caress if I claim standard deduction and collect $4000 one year and then suddenly owe $80k in taxes for no reason the next. You can literally put in that you collected $100000000 in untaxed tips but only made $20000 that year and it thinks that's totally okay.

On the flip side, if you need a real tax professional, HR Block does a real good job of presenting you many stages of poo poo to pay for (that totally doesn't help) before finally sending you to an actual real person that will squeeze every last dime out of your return and then charge you just about the equivalent of what you would have saved.