Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gobbeldygook posted:

Ostensibly, they want to own it for themselves (see the guy a few pages back reminiscing about how much he wants to own one of Musk's tweets), but it's really just speculative turtles all the way down.

This makes no sense, though. Unless twitter somehow starts selling tweets.

Or NBA gives a percentage to idiot boy whenever that sick dunk gets rebroadcast. It's just utter stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I mean you could in principle do it through public/private key encryption. That would allow you to prove that you hold the private key used in the original tweet or asset.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Waltzing Along posted:

This makes no sense, though. Unless twitter somehow starts selling tweets.

Or NBA gives a percentage to idiot boy whenever that sick dunk gets rebroadcast. It's just utter stupidity.
NFTs for art theoretically allow any sales of that particular digital item to be tracked and the artist given a percentage of the sale

NFTs for highlights is just basketball cards but digital (and the NBA/TopShot gets a cut of every transaction since they're the 'artist')

Yes, they're dumb, but it's the same kind of dumb as baseball cards or paintings or any other collectible

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
My point is twitter doesn't sell tweets. I'm pretty sure they own all the tweets. Holy poo poo is that a dumb statement. And on a second level, the account holder also has some control over the tweets. You can't have some third party show up and say "we are now the rightsholder of that tweet."

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
the tweets they're blockchaining are basically trading cards

gotta collect the whole @Fart set

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

wyoak posted:

NFTs for art theoretically allow any sales of that particular digital item to be tracked and the artist given a percentage of the sale

NFTs for highlights is just basketball cards but digital (and the NBA/TopShot gets a cut of every transaction since they're the 'artist')

Yes, they're dumb, but it's the same kind of dumb as baseball cards or paintings or any other collectible

Have we actually seen the contracts from the "legitimate" NFT sales? Did they actually convey the copyrights on the works? Because even if they did sell the copyright, that would have been distinct from selling the title to a number on the blockchain.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Have we actually seen the contracts from the "legitimate" NFT sales? Did they actually convey the copyrights on the works? Because even if they did sell the copyright, that would have been distinct from selling the title to a number on the blockchain.
yeah i mean you have to trust whoever is issuing the NFT (which is ironic for obv reasons), it's why TopShot is probably the most 'legit' since it has the backing of the NBA

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a feeling this is good for BTC.

Good in that this should lead to a ton of lawsuits and destroy a lot of the good will towards crypto.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Where is the $ in this? With BTC there is the potential to use the BTC to buy something. It's just potential, but it could theoretically happen.
But with BTC that potential (edit: for its use as a currency) was always bullshit. As a practical matter it is not actually going to happen, not on a broad enough scale for it to matter. NFTs just drop the pretense of being anything other than digital pogs.

edit:

wyoak posted:

How exactly do NFTs accomplish this? They don't actually restrict the duplication of a digital item, they only restrict duplication of an arbitrary token that merely points to or describes a digital item. They don't actually track ownership rights or copyright, as all of that exists in a messy real-world legal system outside of the blockchain.

Part of the grift is that people promoting NFTs as a concept act as if this is how it would work, and few people jumping on the concept have looked at it deeply enough to realize this is not how it works

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 11, 2021

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Digital poo poo has extra value when you cant flex in person, only online.

When society reverts, NFTs will plummet.

You really think you gona impress some chick with some animated bullshit on your phone lol

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Blotto_Otter posted:

What an incredible journalistic failure this headline is. A whole lotta 50 and 60 year olds are gonna see this headline and (not unreasonably!) assume that "buying LeBron highlights" means buying rights to highlights rather than electronic pogs with the description of a Lebron highlight stamped on it and nothing else, why would anyone assume that, it cannot possibly be that dumb, I must be explaining it wrong

Also that "money" that was spent to buy the NFTs was just ETH that these people had sitting around in piles. It has a theoretical $USD value but needs to be converted to realize that value. I don't know what ETH trading is like but BTC is as shallow as a puddle so I'd expect large scale cashing out to crash the price of ETH as well.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Waltzing Along posted:

My point is twitter doesn't sell tweets. I'm pretty sure they own all the tweets. Holy poo poo is that a dumb statement. And on a second level, the account holder also has some control over the tweets. You can't have some third party show up and say "we are now the rightsholder of that tweet."

Remember that this is a registry scam and there's nothing stopping a duplicate registry from popping up and re-minting the exact same items as NFTs. So you could own all the Elon Musk tweets on TweetNFT.com but then if you want to maintain your digital supremacy you're going to have to re-buy them all on NFT-Tweet.com and BazingaNFT.com

It's like buying someone a star. You get a fancy certificate and some stellar coordinates but the different star registries aren't talking to each other so you can re-buy the same star as many times as there are star registries. And at the end of it all you have are a bunch of certificates and a smaller bank account.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ChristiesInc/status/1370027970560106497

good for him

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/withfnd/status/1369098514773381120?s=21
“The meme economy” :negative:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What the gently caress are they selling?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I now hate memes, well done.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So NFTs are kind of like those eBay scam listings for just pictures of GPUs but you only get a link to the listing with the picture of the GPU and not even a hardcopy of the picture.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
who pays 69 million for a nft?
i'm so confused.

i'm guessing that is 69 million in funny money but that could still be cashed out for $20 bucks or so.

people are so stupid.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Waltzing Along posted:

i'm so confused.

i'm guessing that is 69 million in funny money but that could still be cashed out for $20 bucks or so.

people are so stupid.
Justin Sun bought it for $60 million in Eth + $9 million in cash. He is very smart.

https://twitter.com/justinsuntron/status/1355714958474919947?s=20

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Countdown until this hits the mainstream media and my co-workers start asking me how they can buy NFTs

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Gobbeldygook posted:

Justin Sun bought it for $60 million in Eth + $9 million in cash. He is very smart.

https://twitter.com/justinsuntron/status/1355714958474919947?s=20

I wish I had millions of dollars to waste on pogs

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hillary 2020 posted:

Countdown until this hits the mainstream media and my co-workers start asking me how they can buy NFTs

My techy school has already started muttering about the idea of requiring it as part of assessment

Not buying 'em, minting 'em

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

i'm so confused.

people are so stupid.

Maybe these people are hoping they can use these things to cash out of crypto.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

aware of dog posted:

If it brings attention to your name, your company and the coins you selling then is it a waste?

This guy is deeply invested in getting people to think that they have a bright future if they buy cryptocurrency.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
here's some "fun" homework: find the actual ethereum transaction that created the artwork worth $69 million

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Hillary 2020 posted:

Given how it's already hitting mainstream media and the mainstream media is perpetrating journalistic disasters in covering it, probably early next week.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1370032924205199370
Hold up, there, Times, what exactly was sold?

NYT posted:

After a flurry of more than 180 bids in the final hour, a JPG file made by Mike Winkelmann, the digital artist known as Beeple, was sold on Thursday by Christie’s in an online auction for $69.3 million with fees.
So, a "JPG file" was sold? As in the copyright to the source artwork? Or just a copy of a jpeg? What's this I heard about "NFTs"?

NYT posted:

Beeple’s collaged JPG was made, or “minted,” in February as a “nonfungible token,” or NFT. A secure network of computer systems that records the sale on a digital ledger, known as a blockchain, gives buyers proof of authenticity and ownership. Most pay with the Ethereum cryptocurrency. “Everydays” was the first purely digital NFT sold by Christie’s, and it offered to accept payment in Ethereum, another first for the 255-year-old auction house.
Wait, so now it's a NFT? I thought it was a "JPG file"? Hang on a second, you didn't happen to assign this to a reporter that doesn't know the difference between a jpeg and a NFT, did you?

NYT posted:

Another Beeple piece, “Crossroad” — a 10-second video NFT showing animated pedestrians walking past a giant, naked likeness of Donald J. Trump, collapsed on the ground and covered in graffiti — sold for $6.6 million in Ether on Nifty Gateway.... NFTs have also become a medium of choice for new performance artists.
Wait, so now NFTs are videos and an artistic "medium"? Y'all actually got Trump nude-a-likes on the blockchain now, or is that just a glorified hyperlink to some video hosting site? Do any of y'all have an ounce of curiosity about any aspect of this topic besides the big dollar signs?

(Click through the link if you want more confusing paragraphs about Kings of Leon NFTs with no explanation of what that means or how that works for users/consumers, I guess)

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 11, 2021

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Which goon avatar could fetch the most money s an NFT?

How many dollars is a NFT goatse worth on the exchange?

So many questions only the free market can answer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Its Happening! posted:

Which goon avatar could fetch the most money s an NFT?

How many dollars is a NFT goatse worth on the exchange?

So many questions only the free market can answer.

someone please put hello.jpg on the buttchain

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
when buying a NFT, nothing more changes than a tiny part of the NFT metadata which says "address X owns this", the metadata is all in the open, and the actual artwork too

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

aware of dog posted:

maybe if you had bought buttcoin

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

What the gently caress is a beeple. There's no end to this nonsense.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/Valuables/status/1370156582181335041?s=19
Now's your chance to own a simulacra of a historic tweet!

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Rexxed posted:

if you have seen weird 3d renders with naked trump or robot trump or whatever, thats beeple

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Rexxed posted:

Sir I would like to buy this "beeple" for 100 million $funbux.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
NFTs might be the most dumbass thing the internet has ever conceived, so naturally it's going to become a ridiculous bubble absorbing hundreds of billions of capital and I'm going to ride those loving coattails all the way to the bank before it pops. I can't believe how much money I've made in the last 3 days just flipping leveraged NFT coins on Binance. One NFT token rose by over 200% in 6 hours for fucks sake. Yes, I'm an idiot, I'm making money off of idiots, it's just idiots the whole way down. 2021 owns.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Kind of disappointed that Kings of Leon are bitcoin scammers

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

So NFTs are literally just the "I've got a bridge to sell you" scam + blockchain?

It's beanie babies but now everyone can make them out of everything even things they don't own yay!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nightwisher posted:

NFTs might be the most dumbass thing the internet has ever conceived, so naturally it's going to become a ridiculous bubble absorbing hundreds of billions of capital and I'm going to ride those loving coattails all the way to the bank before it pops. I can't believe how much money I've made in the last 3 days just flipping leveraged NFT coins on Binance. One NFT token rose by over 200% in 6 hours for fucks sake. Yes, I'm an idiot, I'm making money off of idiots, it's just idiots the whole way down. 2021 owns.

let me know when you turn bullshit internet pogs into something you can actually buy food/housing with

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
NFT is a certificate of ownership and authenticity, that's it.

To help understand how it actually works (from reddit):

quote:

So here’s the actual contract according to Christie’s auction page. https://etherscan.io/address/0x2a46f2ffd99e19a89476e2f62270e0a35bbf0756#readContract

You input the NFT ID (40913) in the tokenIdToDigitalMediaRelease field and it gives you a media ID, then you input that media ID in getDigitalMedia and it gives you the IPFS hash of the JSON storing the NFT's information. In our case: QmPAg1mjxcEQPPtqsLoEcauVedaeMH81WXDPvPx3VC5zUz

Then you go to an IPFS proxy and enter it as a suffix, like: https://gateway.pinata.cloud/ipfs/QmPAg1mjxcEQPPtqsLoEcauVedaeMH81WXDPvPx3VC5zUz

then you can see the full sized image:

https://ipfsgateway.makersplace.com/ipfs/QmXkxpwAHCtDXbbZHUwqtFucG1RMS6T87vi1CdvadfL7qA

Warning: over 300 MB file.

And yes it was paid for in Ethereum, not "cash", as Christies specified Ether payments only. (auction page = https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/beeple-first-5000-days/beeple-b-1981-1/112924 )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Oh, it's a sailboat.