Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just thought it might be neat to add the original ad campaign concept for Frozen 2 had to be very, very very hastily reworked because Disney was using a white power symbol without really realizing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Barudak posted:

Just thought it might be neat to add the original ad campaign concept for Frozen 2 had to be very, very very hastily reworked because Disney was using a white power symbol without really realizing it.

Elsa?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/wandavision-director-says-popular-fan-theories-were-correct-until-last-minute-changes

quote:

With WandaVision concluded after a nine-episode run on Disney+, director Matt Shakman opened up about two popular fan theories with Kevin Smith.

Appearing on the latest episode of Smith’s FatMan Beyond podcast with co-host Marc Bernardin, Shakman revealed how COVID-19 impacted the production of the show and said that two fan theories in particular were addressed until they were changed last-minute. He explained that not only was the show originally set to run for 10 episodes, but some deleted scenes confirmed or denied what fans had already suspected.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/wandavision-alternate-endings-covid-delay-doctor-strange-interview/

It's in one of these, I can't find the exact article, but it's mentioned that they were following social media and made changes in response. As mentioned, they were still working on the finale two weeks before its final release.

I don't personally care about wandavision or any marvel property, but if you're filming and editing while engaging in social media, it's a different model than say the Netflix dump-at-once approach where if the audience had issues it's to a baked-in product.

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 11, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The guy who is writing a show about a magic talking television cannot himself disobey his own magic talking television. How ironic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

changing the story because people guess the twists weakens it - The big DC Monarch storyline Armageddon 2001 suffered heavily because fans pretty much figured out who the original Monarch was - and it got leaked (Captain Atom) and the writers changing it to another character entirely, despite that the new reveal completely contradicts the build up.

Unfortunately leaks happen and it's a shame.

However, too many writers seem to treat the audience figuring out the twist as a weakness in their writing and something that shouldn't happen - when they should be happy the audience is digging into and paying enough attention to their work to puzzle out the answer during an initial view. A good twist can be figured out by the observant in the first view, and obvious to everyone on a second viewing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't get why creators feel the need to do that. If people are guessing what's gonna happen it just means you've set things up in a way that naturally leads to certain conclusions supported by the text. Which would seem to indicate good storytelling?

Everything in a narrative doesn't have to be a "gotcha" surprise.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
That article makes it sound like they had some ideas to do things that people speculated but they changed a while ago (before shooting and long before air) because of Covid.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Pretty sure I remember Game of Thrones ending with such a wet fart because they didn't want their audience guessing what would happen, and they got Thanos'd out of the cultural zeitgeist real fast

Megera fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 11, 2021

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zero One posted:

That article makes it sound like they had some ideas to do things that people speculated but they changed a while ago (before shooting and long before air) because of Covid.

I'll try to keep an eye out for the original one I saw, but admittedly in was an excerpt being referenced with respect to this. I'm not saying it was a 180 flip, but that their social media engagement lead to edits specifically in response to that feedback.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Megera posted:

Pretty sure I remember Game of Thrones ending with such a wet fart because they misinterpreted what "subverting expectations" meant, and they got Thanos'd out of the cultural zeitgeist real fast

It had been going downhill since they ran out of book.

It turns out that GRRM had all the good ideas and the showrunners didnt.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah no there was no midway change to WandaVision. It's just one of those telephone games that got blown up 'cuz people on the internet like to feel smarter than writers.

Which, granted, is often true. :sweatdrop: But still.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Last Jedi was a pretty big case of 'subverting expectations' turning out so badly they spent pretty much the entirety of the next movie that had a plot walking every single point back.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Barudak posted:

What?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

They were using the vegvisir heavily. It's been co-opted like many Norse symbols.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Disney / Dreamworks: "I know, let's do some movies set in a fun Norse/Viking paradigm"

(five seconds later,)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

From everything I got to see on my work for that film it was a total mess. The elements theme, water memory thing all stuff from various failed attempts at making the movie that got squished into a functional but uninspiring final film. The Vegvisir too, was just another example of the thing not coming together. I wouldn't be surprised if they had last minute tweaks removing it.

Musically, too, they knew there were issues. I am sure Disney destroyed any and all evidence of how they approached writing the films music.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't know why people like "Into the Unknown" when "Show Yourself" is also in the film. :colbert:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BrianWilly posted:

I don't know why people like "Into the Unknown" when "Show Yourself" is also in the film. :colbert:
I think that song is absolutely incredible and I must be in the super minority because I liked Frozen 2 more than the original.

I think I just really liked the whole self-discovery angle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BrianWilly posted:

It's because it was marketed as the next "Let It Go", that's the entire reason.

The "All Is Found" reprise in the middle of "Show Yourself" is definitely the best musical moment in the movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I posted about this Bakshi-rear end rotoscoped animated movie a while back and it has it's first trailer ahead of its release at SXSW. Looks like fun for the whole family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfnmbooEJaw

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I posted about this Bakshi-rear end rotoscoped animated movie a while back and it has it's first trailer ahead of its release at SXSW. Looks like fun for the whole family

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfnmbooEJaw
LOL that now when I see clean, digitally colored rotoscoping, all I think of is Joel Haver's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY3y6zNTiLs

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

BrianWilly posted:

I personally don't like Show Yourself nearly as much as Into the Unknown. Specifically I really love the part of the song where she's like "You're not a voice, you're just a ringing in my ear. And if I heard, which I don't! I'm spoken for I fear" cause there's this awesome low like... violin or whatever in the background and I love the little animation she does when she says "which I don't!"

edit: Although visually Show Yourself is obviously better, Elsa's hair down look is :discourse:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I find it hilarious that both of Elsa's epiphanies are her letting her hair down, because as of the first movie it's already down from it's initial style, so she just lets it MORE down. Frozen 3, she'll just whip the whole thing off her head revealing it's a toupee and throw it into the wind. It's gonna end up like Battlefield: Bad company - "Anna! She's running away again! And she runs like a dork!"

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Megera posted:

Pretty sure I remember Game of Thrones ending with such a wet fart because they didn't want their audience guessing what would happen, and they got Thanos'd out of the cultural zeitgeist real fast
i speedran all eight seasons of got about a month after the wet fart had gone public, so got the full experience in the space of about three days, and it is genuinely hilarious how fast it was completely and deliberately forgotten by everybody. although it was annoying because i wanted to point out to everyone how racist it was (i never saw a lot of people doing that during the hype, which bothers me deeply in retrospect) but by then nobody wanted to talk about it

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the other thing that bothers me deeply in retrospect is that we now own eight dvds of got, with a resale value of nothing

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

BioEnchanted posted:

I find it hilarious that both of Elsa's epiphanies are her letting her hair down, because as of the first movie it's already down from it's initial style, so she just lets it MORE down. Frozen 3, she'll just whip the whole thing off her head revealing it's a toupee and throw it into the wind. It's gonna end up like Battlefield: Bad company - "Anna! She's running away again! And she runs like a dork!"
i was blessed to be working big box retail in the christmas period when frozen 2 was released, and we were selling life-size disembodied mannequin heads with elsa's face and stylable hair

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Zero One posted:

It had been going downhill since they ran out of book.

It turns out that GRRM had all the good ideas and the showrunners didnt.

Yeah, there was some big aftermath articles for GoT that revealed the showrunners didn't even have a basic clue of how to run a production - including not having a writer's room - they split up the scripts and worked separately until it's time to piece it together, letting the actors take the reign of their characters' writing "Because they didn't understand the characters". Now this is a big difference from going 'This is the part where Robin Williams goes off' and doesn't work when everyone is doing it.

A lot of people were justifiably angry that two completely idiotic men got to drive a popular series down for ten years while talented women and minorities got passed over.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

perepelki posted:

i speedran all eight seasons of got about a month after the wet fart had gone public, so got the full experience in the space of about three days, and it is genuinely hilarious how fast it was completely and deliberately forgotten by everybody. although it was annoying because i wanted to point out to everyone how racist it was (i never saw a lot of people doing that during the hype, which bothers me deeply in retrospect) but by then nobody wanted to talk about it

It’s fun to notice how things like hair/water/fire/tumbling objects are treated in 3D animation where there is always weird plot contrivances to show and not show simulation heavy animation. Like every 3D movie will have a scene with ten trillion rendered blades of grass but then make sure after you have seen it and know they can everyone goes and stands on a rock on a dirt path. Or go the other way and make sure every scene has moving water somewhere in it to show off the fancy water rendering they bought.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, there was some big aftermath articles for GoT that revealed the showrunners didn't even have a basic clue of how to run a production - including not having a writer's room - they split up the scripts and worked separately until it's time to piece it together, letting the actors take the reign of their characters' writing "Because they didn't understand the characters". Now this is a big difference from going 'This is the part where Robin Williams goes off' and doesn't work when everyone is doing it.

A lot of people were justifiably angry that two completely idiotic men got to drive a popular series down for ten years while talented women and minorities got passed over.

"themes are for eighth grade book reports"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I would bet money moana exists because someone upgraded a fluid simulation package then said “oh, we can do good looking waves now... oh! And lava!” Then worked backwards from that to figure out what story would have waves and lava

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Was Moana Pixar?

Because every Pixar film is "what's the new cool thing here"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It was WDAS

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Moana exists because Musker and Clements said let’s make a good movie and so they made it, it’s good :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I would bet money moana exists because someone upgraded a fluid simulation package then said “oh, we can do good looking waves now... oh! And lava!” Then worked backwards from that to figure out what story would have waves and lava

Super Mario Sunshine: The Movie

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hedrigall posted:

Moana exists because Musker and Clements said let’s make a good movie and so they made it, it’s good :colbert:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My partner runs the character effects department at a feature studio and it’s more like storyboard artists board a bunch of stuff and then you get presented with a list of what is necessary for the film, then RnD works for a year to come up with the solution, in production a lot of exciting new problems occur because every department is working simultaneously, and eventually you get the film done and hopefully the tech will continue to be developed, but if the next film requires something different most will probably sit on the shelf gathering dust.

I’m an animator so I’ve seen situations where a studio invests hugely into real time rendering and does shows in Unreal Engine. Then has to do a couple shows in a traditional rendering pipeline because the clients request something that can’t yet be done in Unreal, and most of the Unreal team leaves for other studios. Then you finally get a new Unreal project and have to scrounge around to rebuild the dang team from scratch.

Of course bidding is another issue. Shots can change drastically depending on when a producer had the guts to say “we will lose money on this so we need to reduce scope.” This happens more often in tv than in vfx, in the latter studios willl just work everyone 75 hour weeks for 6 months to achieve the impossible because if they lose Disney as a client they’re finished.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The guy who did "Romeo and Juliet Sealed With a Kiss" is a bigger visionary than Clements and Musker because he can work outside of a system. Prove me wrong!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I mean I know this is a trap but, she's definitely not covering the show itself (that would be a totally different, much longer video series). My fascination with the production was always centered around Faust's departure and what her original ideas for worldbuilding entailed, and where the story was supposed to go, before they forced her to sign off on Equestria Girls and she told them to suck her dick. The whole rest of the show was the rest of the writers doing flailing archaeology on her and Rudish's development notes, and it slowly but inevitably lost the irresistible cohesion and sense of epic mystery and magic it had started out with. It remained very good and very funny, but it was definitely different.

Also it seemed like it kept getting renewed unexpectedly, so over and over again they had to scrape together a new set of second-string writers after the previous season's staff had tied up their storylines with big climactic battles and status-quo-changing season finales, and figure out a new and BIGGER direction to go that somehow wasn't just retreading what they'd already done. Frankly the "fandom shoutout" episode near the end felt like them saying "please please let us stop" like Krusty in his 346th consecutive broadcast hour

I had no idea that was what made her decide to leave. Good to know.

Robindaybird posted:

And while I knew that the showrunners of Got were idiots about it I didn't realize it was this bad.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I had no idea that was what made her decide to leave. Good to know.

And while I knew that the showrunners of Got were idiots about it I didn't realize it was this bad.

there's a lot more, like not realizing you shouldn't put a real baby on a block of ice and downplaying the fantasy elements because they didn't want to make 'that kind of show'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Acebuckeye13 posted:

"Creators overreact to people guessing twists on the internet" has happened before, but it's usually a season-to-season thing (like in Westworld IIRC)
What twists could a tv show based on a 50 year old movie possibly have