Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It crusts real nice, but without the butteriness of butter, meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It crusts real nice, but without the butteriness of butter, meh.

butter and mayo

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

refried beans on the other hand... hubba hubba

Bet

hawowanlawow posted:

I've been known to put both refried beans and baked beans on hotdogs

Not at the same time, yet....

Well a hot dog is a different story than just in between two flatass pieces of bread. I can get behind them beans on a hot dog

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not a fan of the mayo method either but some people swear by it. It does caramelize real good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

HookedOnChthonics posted:

why would you assume it's nasty? it's just substituting a different cooking fat, like how you can sub in 65g of blood for an egg in most baking applications

really i guess what im asking is Make your own Mayo Challenge 2: elise the great tribute edition when

Wut

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I tried it, it wasn't nearly as impressive as people make it out to be

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://nordicfoodlab.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/2013-9-blood-and-egg/

quote:

Animal blood has a long culinary history throughout Europe, though recently has become neglected. We are interested in (re)valorising the despised and forgotten, so we had to look deeper into what blood is, how it should be handled, and what to use it for. Its coagulating properties led us to focus on blood as an egg-substitute in sweet products, since egg intolerance is one of the major food allergies affecting children in Europe.

In fact, eggs and blood show similar protein compositions, particularly with the albumin that gives both their coagulant properties. Based on these similarities, a substitution ratio of 65g of blood for one egg (approx. 58g), or 43g of blood for one egg white (approx. 33g) can be used in the kitchen. Using this method, we have developed recipes for sourdough-blood pancakes, blood ice cream, blood meringues, and ‘chocolate’ blood sponge cake.

A further benefit of blood is its ability to prevent anaemia – the most common micronutrient deficiency worldwide – due to the high bioavailability of its haeme-iron.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6LVTgw2fVs

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Oh, haha, yes.

Animal blood.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Literally yes, if you can't eat eggs then blood is probably one of the best functional substitutes.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

My partner was proud of this:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is that supposed to be lohikeitto?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Polyseme posted:

if that's chicken and dumplings that just happened to have the dumplings disintegrate, I'll take it

man I would kill for a big bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings right now

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is chowda

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Code Jockey posted:

if that's chicken and dumplings that just happened to have the dumplings disintegrate, I'll take it

It's leftover Vegan Chick'n & Dumplings with Oyster Mushrooms & Green Beans, and Cottage Cheese. Before the derail restarts, it's from Purple Carrot, and it's just soup with dumplings.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

why would you assume it's nasty? it's just substituting a different cooking fat, like how you can sub in 65g of blood for an egg in most baking applications

really i guess what im asking is Make your own Mayo Challenge 2: elise the great tribute edition when

If you can make mayo from eggs... and you can substitute blood for eggs... does that mean you can make a grilled cheese with a nice crunchy blood crust?

I almost, almost want to attempt this just to see what monstrous culinary atrocity results.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Polyseme posted:

It's leftover Vegan Chick'n & Dumplings with Oyster Mushrooms & Green Beans, and Cottage Cheese. Before the derail restarts, it's from Purple Carrot, and it's just soup with dumplings.

I looked this place up since I've never heard of them, they have... mixed reviews at best.

You know how long onions last? I've left them on the counter for months, this place is apparently over $20 a meal for a meal kit. Lots of complaints of spoiled food and no customer service.

Here's a positive review, mmmm, a bunch of chopped peppers, what a hearty and delicious vegan meal!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Fuckin' lol at that last one. 2 bell peppers, a jalapeńo, a bulb of garlic and some cherry tomatoes. $5 at Safeway.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If you are willing to pay $72 for a.box of vegetables you deserve to get scammed.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Elviscat posted:

I looked this place up since I've never heard of them, they have... mixed reviews at best.

That, I believe. But we've never had any of that happen, so we get our box a month instead of eating out. Also, yeah, they have a bunch of "recipes" that are either: Put the premade ingredients on the bread; or Chop the vegetables, you're done. Also, we compost or recycle all of the packaging. I'm not sure it lives up to ethical veganism, but it's as close as I've seen... given that I live in the suburbs and use a service like this.

I do not recommend ordering from them, but most of their recipes are freely(?) available, and only occasionally involve difficult-to-source materials, provided you have an international supermarket around. So just do that instead.

edit: I will continue to post every time it goes wrong. Wait, is "the whole box is trash" AFP under the food trends bit?

Polyseme has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Mar 13, 2021

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Polyseme posted:

It's leftover Vegan Chick'n & Dumplings with Oyster Mushrooms & Green Beans,

Okay yeah I'm down w-

quote:

and Cottage Cheese.

and that's a pass

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fizzymercury posted:

I made the ground beef brownies. DO NOT make the beefy brownies. It's the texture, you see. The texture is. Wow. It's really something. You ever eat a very dry meatloaf and it's a little granular and sometimes you get an unsettling crunch in a bite? It's that granular crunch, but with a chewy brownie all around it so the beef really has something to cling to. And it tastes a bit like beef tallow smells while you render it.

Anyway don't do what I did and ruin your roommate's whole day. Didn't tell him there was beef in the brownies. He's not okay. Never steal food from someone that will drink mercury.

Please do not have done this

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's real easy to screw up food logistics, especially if you're a small startup trying to service the whole country at once.

And then they pretty much have to sell themselves as some kind of premium product with bespoke recipes in order to deal with the higher costs compared to grocery chains. You're just never going to get the same advantages of scale.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

spankmeister posted:

If you are willing to pay $72 for a.box of vegetables you deserve to get scammed.

:capitalism:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Code Jockey posted:

Polyseme posted:

Paladinus posted:

Is that supposed to be lohikeitto?

It's veggie stew with cottage cheese you food/face blind goons.

e;
Clarified in posts i scrolled past.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Mar 13, 2021

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Code Jockey posted:

Okay yeah I'm down w-

and that's a pass

Exactly

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Dip…cheese…in my coffee‽⸘‽⸘
Be creative!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I had a dream there was cheese in my coffee
Cheese in my coffee and...

you probably think this post is about you

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Meal kit subscriptions are real bad yo.

I got a couple boxes from Hello Fresh back in 2017 because the first one was free and I forgot to cancel the next couple. The sheer amount of packaging was unconscionable. Sure the tiny jar of ketchup, or airline bottle of balsamic were cute, but I don't need individually wrapped hamburger buns, or jalapenos.

At least none of it was rotten and they did a good job keeping it cold, even if the gel packs were big enough to fill up my freezer if I even wanted to reuse them

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Butterfly Valley posted:

We have a lot of brown, sure, but an extensive array of beautiful desserts and roast dinners to balance that out.

Something only a delusional Englishman irrevocably mad from a lifetime of food depravity could possibly say.

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

I loved blood pancakes with some lingonberries as a kid. I have always disliked most meat products, but blood pancakes rock.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

OwlFancier posted:

Literally yes, if you can't eat eggs then blood is probably one of the best functional substitutes.
how do i make poached bloods

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FFT posted:

how do i make poached bloods

Unironically you could probably mix it with a thickener and then drizzle it into boiling water off a spoon and it would form little boiled blood nuggets, you can do that with batter to make doughy blobs to go in soups too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Doll House Ghost posted:

I loved blood pancakes with some lingonberries as a kid. I have always disliked most meat products, but blood pancakes rock.

The secret ingredient ... is blood.

Eww, blood!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah obviously it's possible to make blood dumplings and the claim was blood as an egg substitute in baking specifically

Anyway I can't go into too much detail but I need to figure out how to make bloods sunny-side-up before sunset

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

It's veggie stew with cottage cheese you food/face blind goons.
Because this is a normal thing normal people eat on a regular basis. Certainly it should be immediately recognizable.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Blood? Blood. Crimson, copper-smelling blood. His blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. And bits of sick.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

Blood? Blood. Crimson, copper-smelling blood. His blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. And bits of sick.

Authors that use subtext are cowards.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I appreciate the ketchup bottle leaning at the same angle