Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HaB posted:

For me - it has always felt like the same vibe as when little girls play with dolls and make them date or make them kiss.

"let's put Joker with Hifumi this time - they'd be SO cute together!"

This is similar to how I approach it. Really even though the protagonists are silent, I tend to see them as their own characters anyway. When I pick someone for a Persona protagonist to date, it's not me I'm thinking about, it's that character. They might not have much characterization, but there's usually at least some, whether through their physical mannerisms or what dialog options are available, that kind of thing.

It's sort of like... rather than seeing Joker as me, I see "my version of Joker," if that makes sense. I usually feel like that with any silent JRPG protagonists. They're intended for the player to identify with them, but they're not complete self-inserts the way a totally customizable character would be, either.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've only paired up characters in persona for the mechanical benefits, none of the dynamics ever really did it for me (and there are several for whom it would be a significant downside - futaba, for example)

still think that idiot trackstar bf would have been a smash hit though

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The high school social aspect is nice because there is a "with your current maturity level what would you have done different" aspect to it.

The characters in the games also seem far more mature than most normal high-schoolers so that helps. Or at least, far more mature than I and my friends were...

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Actually there was an interesting poll from when P5 came out that showed most players are in fact adults
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/deng...2030%20and%2039

I wouldn't be surprised if those numbers were completely accurate but at the same time it's also possible certain demographics are more likely to fill out a Dengeki Playstation web poll, which could skew the results. I don't think it would skew them enough that 20-29 would no longer be the largest category, but it's worth keeping in mind.

As much as I like the series now it did feel better playing P3P and P4G back when I was in high school, even though I think P5 is the better game, so that probably means something. I'm not sure what, though.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Harrow posted:

This has kind of an amusing side effect in Strikers.

There's a scene where you can go on a date with one of the girls, or, as is usually an option, go with The Boys instead. If you take one of the Phantom Thief girls, the game sorta treats it like a first date, which can be a little annoying if you wanted to carry over your romance choices from the previous game. If you go with The Boys instead, Ryuji laments that none of you have girlfriends, and one of your dialogue options lets you imply that Joker does have a girlfriend and hasn't told Ryuji yet. So weirdly, the best way to pretend to carry over whatever romance choice you made in P5 is to not take whoever Joker's dating on a date and take your bros instead :v:

That's slightly annoying but it's about what I expect. There's several points in P4G where having a girlfriend should come up but it doesn't. "Wanna peek into the womens bathing area?" 1: No, and gently caress you for asking, 2: I'm dating one of them so holy poo poo no.

Unrelated, but Makoto made my choice of P5 date very easy with her awakening scene. She almost interrupts her Persona to slam the "give me magical powers" button and stomps a hole in the floor instead of almost falling to her knees. I appreciate someone who has figured out that something supernatural is going on and extremely wants in.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suppose I don't really know what it would be like to play one of the social sim Persona games while I'm in high school myself. Persona 3 came out when I was already in college, so I never really had that experience.

I find Persona 5 to be a really comfortable experience to play overall--something about stepping into its world is really relaxing to me--even though I was in my 30s already when it came out initially, so I never really had that high school connection at all.

Brandfarlig posted:

That's slightly annoying but it's about what I expect. There's several points in P4G where having a girlfriend should come up but it doesn't. "Wanna peek into the womens bathing area?" 1: No, and gently caress you for asking, 2: I'm dating one of them so holy poo poo no.

Unrelated, but Makoto made my choice of P5 date very easy with her awakening scene. She almost interrupts her Persona to slam the "give me magical powers" button and stomps a hole in the floor instead of almost falling to her knees. I appreciate someone who has figured out that something supernatural is going on and extremely wants in.

I keep wishing that the spin-offs would let you import romance choices, if only for a couple of changed lines or one scene. Like in Strikers, they could've had a scene early on where you can tell Ryuji or someone who you're dating, and then if you take that character on a date later, that scene could change to reflect that you're already in a relationship. It's an unvoiced scene, anyway, so having a couple of alternate lines would be a pretty small change.

The games are never going to canonize or de-canonize any romances no matter what, but it'd be neat to be able to carry over the one real choice you get to make, y'know?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 12, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Harrow posted:

I suppose I don't really know what it would be like to play one of the social sim Persona games while I'm in high school myself. Persona 3 came out when I was already in college, so I never really had that experience.

I find Persona 5 to be a really comfortable experience to play overall--something about stepping into its world is really relaxing to me--even though I was in my 30s already when it came out initially, so I never really had that high school connection at all.

I keep wishing that the spin-offs would let you import romance choices, if only for a couple of changed lines or one scene. Like in Strikers, they could've had a scene early on where you can tell Ryuji or someone who you're dating, and then if you take that character on a date later, that scene could change to reflect that you're already in a relationship. It's an unvoiced scene, anyway, so having a couple of alternate lines would be a pretty small change.

The games are never going to canonize or de-canonize any romances no matter what, but it'd be neat to be able to carry over the one real choice you get to make, y'know?

Yeah, that'd be nice. Almost surprising that they don't do that since there's not a lack of effort put into Persona games.

Edit: yeah both 4 and 5 are extremely comfortable. The music does a a lot of heavy lifting in making the most mundane things enjoyable. I'm surprised at how well having vocals in the usual bgm works in 4. That could easily be annoying but I never found it to be anything close.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 12, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Harrow posted:

At the very least anything about Persona 3 after the original heavily implies that it has to be Yukari, Aigis or Elizabeth and nobody else whose canon. Persona 4 Golden (and later stuff) makes Marie a pretty clear most likely canon option, especially Ultimax.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 12, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deltasquid posted:

I know that's part of their appeal/idea behind a mute character, yes, but I have a lot of trouble understanding people who do. Characters always have their own design that differs from the player, as well as inferred character traits, even if they aren't explicited. If anything blank slate characters are just boring (Byleth in FE:3H comes to mind) or have sufficient panache and character like Joker that their body language and mannerisms make them stand out sufficiently.

Likewise, I can't treat my dnd characters or characters in Western RPGs as self-inserts. I see them as distinct characters, and I get input on how their story goes but they're not me...

For me it's just because the P3-4-5 characters are such non-entities.

Harrow posted:

So many olds in this thread.

I was in elementary when P3 came out :v:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 12, 2021

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

At the very least anything about Persona 3 heavily implies that it has to be Yukari, Aigis or Elizabeth and nobody else whose canon. Persona 4 Golden (and later stuff) makes Marie a pretty clear most likely canon option, especially Ultimax.

The vibe I got from Persona 3 is that, at the very least, Yukari, Aigis, and Elizabeth all fell in love with the protagonist, but it's up to the player whether their character reciprocated or not. (Of course that's all muddied by the fact that you can't take a platonic route in any female social links but y'know.)

I haven't played P4A Ultimax so I'm curious if it's like that or if there are indications that the now-voiced Yu reciprocates Marie's feelings in that game.

Yu Narukami is an interesting case anyway. Atlus wasn't afraid to make a strongly-defined canon version of the Persona 4 protagonist, in a way they never really did with Persona 3 or 5. Persona 3 and 5's Dancing games keep their protagonists silent, unlike Persona 4 Dancing, and Strikers plays out more like a normal Persona game in its story scenes so Joker is again silent with dialog choices. Yu Narukami's almost closer to the Persona 2 protagonists at this point, since both of them have also had fully-written non-silent-protagonist versions of them in the games (Maya in IS and Tatsuya in EP).

That's probably why disagreements over the P4 protagonist's canon name are much less common than with 3 and 5's protagonists. Minato Arisato or Makoto Yuki? Akira Kurusu or Ren Amamiya? If you make a post on Reddit and use any of those names, you will start an argument.

Acerbatus posted:

So many olds in this thread.

I was in elementary when P3 came out :v:

Picture of me right now after mousing over that spoiler: :rip:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 12, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ren is a better name than Akira, they should use that despite Amamiya being a somewhat unwieldy surname.

P3-kun is Makoto because it's funny that there's like four people in this series all named Makoto.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The canon name debate is interesting because the answer, as far as Atlus is concerned, is always the name that's used in the anime. Minato Arisato, Souji Seta, and Akira Kurusu are the manga names for the protagonists, and the manga always tend to start coming out pretty quickly after the games, so those are also always the first "canon" names people are exposed to.

Then the anime comes out and uses a different name, and then that anime name is always the one that's used in spin-off games. Makoto Yuki and Ren Amamiya are the names Atlus uses now, including in the Dancing games, so those are about as close to canon as you're gonna get. Plenty of internet fans get attached to the manga names, though, and so you end up with a lot of arguments over what to call each character and it is all very silly.

Robbie Daymond and Xander Mobus's in-character cover of "You're Nothing Without Me" makes a pretty good gag out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmZKvvMbEw

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 12, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rip Boy With Earring.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess they could have started with P3 or 4 and moved into the second demo by 5 but still.

That’s me. P3 and P4 came out when I was in middle school but P5 took so long to come out I was already a college senior. I imagine it describes a lot of people cause it was a whopping eight years between releases

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Charlie tunoku is canon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

P3 protagonist's canon name is Roger, I don't make the rules

(it's the name Atlus USA used for him in an old P3 trailer)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like souji seta for the p4 protag just cause 'yu' is a bit more generic of a name than souji. same with makoto versus minato.

that said my favorite name for the p3 protag is actually the one the play uses for him, sakuya, cause it means 'new moon'. fits with the p3 vibe/moon theming.

and i like 'ren amamiya' just because the spelling of amamiya they use has the character for 'palace' in it, which is really cute

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Endorph posted:

and i like 'ren amamiya' just because the spelling of amamiya they use has the character for 'palace' in it, which is really cute

Also Amamiya sounds like Mamma Mia and you can sing his name to Bohemian Rhapsody

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Charlie tunoku is canon

:hmmyes:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In vanilla P5, I named the protagonist Akira Kuzunoha, because Akira seemed like as good a given name for him as any and Kuzunoha was just a fun nod to the other SMT series protagonist with a talking cat friend.

For Royal, I went with Ren Amamiya, partially because I tend to go for canon names anyway, and partially because my girlfriend had just gotten done platinuming Persona 5 Dancing and by that point that was just cemented as his name in her head.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

In vanilla P5, I named the protagonist Akira Kuzunoha

eyyyyy, same

i still stick with "akira kurusu" as my mental default for him, though, just sounds like a better fit

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

Picture of me right now after mousing over that spoiler: :rip:
Man, I'm about as old as you. I had already been out of high school for a few years when P3 came out, and was in my mid-30s by the time P5 came out.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Akira Akiyama, to get the added alliteration appeal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Oxxidation posted:

i've only paired up characters in persona for the mechanical benefits, none of the dynamics ever really did it for me (and there are several for whom it would be a significant downside - futaba, for example)

still think that idiot trackstar bf would have been a smash hit though

Which idiot trackstar, because you have Kazuichi (P3), Mamoru (P3), Daisuke (P4 and he's soccer, but he wears a tracksuit 22/7), and Ryuji (former trackstar). Also they're all idiots.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ok here is a take.

Persona 5/R Palace and battle music is loving incredible and I love it.

But I think I enjoy the “daytime” JPOP music in Persona 4 more than Persona 5’s “tokyo daylight”

https://youtu.be/Y9CDfMhq6dM

To my wife’s annoyance, she has more than once caught me humming along your affection, your affection, your affeeeeccctttiiioooonnnn

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Solaris 2.0 posted:

https://youtu.be/Y9CDfMhq6dM

To my wife’s annoyance, she has more than once caught me humming along your affection, your affection, your affeeeeccctttiiioooonnnn
We gotta promise
Bouquet
What they flipped
Both
Day after day-ay-ay-ay
We gotta prom
It was throw some
In the stream of cheese
They still pick off the past
(You make me sorry)
Into the new pass
(Day after day-ay-ay-ay)
(You make me sorry)
Into the new pass
(Day after day-ay-ay-ay)

YOUR DAY SHOW
YOUR DAY SHOW
TAKE IT FROM COFFEEEEEE

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I

tried

hard

But where did we go wrong?

I hated Way of Life for the longest time because of the beginning but it really grew on me. I think the only daily life song in p5 I particularly like is Beneath the Mask, but I liked most of P4's.

Heartbeat, Heartbreak is my favorite I think.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The best daily life song is Sun from P3P.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The P5 daily music is very good but lacks the "wait what were those lyrics" charm from P3 and P4.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

WrightOfWay posted:

The best daily life song is Sun from P3P.

I can only remember the first 15 seconds of this song.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The best regular day-to-day music is from P3, but it's Changing Seasons. :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Time... Old dry leaves go by... Lone air comes quietly...

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Lotus Aura posted:

The best regular day-to-day music is from P3, but it's Changing Seasons. :colbert:

i'm all about Want to be Close

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

YggiDee posted:

Time... Old dry leaves go by... Lone air comes quietly...

This pops in my head more often then I’d care to admit...

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It was really cool in the last part of P3 when the town, school and dorm themes all changed to different somber music. Memories of the City was a really cool track and in general all of it made that part of the story work well atmospherically. The cosmetic shifts in the overworld towards the end of P4 and P5 both seemed pretty lame compared to it. Especially with P5 just changing everything to the generic "suspicious things are going on" track that you have already heard 100 times in the game.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Item Getter posted:

It was really cool in the last part of P3 when the town, school and dorm themes all changed to different somber music. Memories of the City was a really cool track and in general all of it made that part of the story work well atmospherically. The cosmetic shifts in the overworld towards the end of P4 and P5 both seemed pretty lame compared to it. Especially with P5 just changing everything to the generic "suspicious things are going on" track that you have already heard 100 times in the game.

P5R I think does this really well for the third semester stuff.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally got around to finishing P5 (vanilla) today. Setting up remote play on my laptop really helped a lot with getting the hours in. I really enjoyed it a lot, P4G was great and I'm enjoying what I've played of P3FES but P5 really knocks it out of the park on style and does some really nice stuff with the confidant bonuses that tie both sides of the game together. Definitely my favorite Persona/SMT game.

Now I can go on to P5D, PQ2 and P5S without fear of spoilers and one day, perhaps when they release it on other formats I'll play P5R because I found it hard enough to get 100+ hours in the first time. :sweatdrop:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Item Getter posted:

Snowflakes in the winter of P4G is an A+ overworld song, though.

RillAkBea posted:

I finally got around to finishing P5 (vanilla) today. Setting up remote play on my laptop really helped a lot with getting the hours in. I really enjoyed it a lot, P4G was great and I'm enjoying what I've played of P3FES but P5 really knocks it out of the park on style and does some really nice stuff with the confidant bonuses that tie both sides of the game together. Definitely my favorite Persona/SMT game.

Now I can go on to P5D, PQ2 and P5S without fear of spoilers and one day, perhaps when they release it on other formats I'll play P5R because I found it hard enough to get 100+ hours in the first time. :sweatdrop:

Congrats! I have my own opinions of PQ2 and P5S but I won't let that colour your opinions going in. Enjoy the ride.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Update: I just got back from Hawaii in the game and the hour straight without saving was the wrong move to start at 2am, especially on DST Eve

I definitely thought that this thread’s love for Makoto was dumb because she’s a cop/narc for the first two arcs of the game and thought it would be really easy to ignore romance to get that achievement but it’s going to be very hard to reject her after a long walk on a Hawaiian beach at sunset. Most of the other romance options range from “I think they work better as friends” (Ann) to “this seems inappropriate” (Ohya, Chihaya, Takumi) to “this is wildly inappropriate” (Kawakami, Futaba).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Update: I just got back from Hawaii in the game and the hour straight without saving was the wrong move to start at 2am, especially on DST Eve

I definitely thought that this thread’s love for Makoto was dumb because she’s a cop/narc for the first two arcs of the game and thought it would be really easy to ignore romance to get that achievement but it’s going to be very hard to reject her after a long walk on a Hawaiian beach at sunset. Most of the other romance options range from “I think they work better as friends” (Ann) to “this seems inappropriate” (Ohya, Chihaya, Takumi) to “this is wildly inappropriate” (Kawakami, Futaba).

Makoto won me over very early on when she stalks MC with an unconvincing magazine act. :3:

(I chose Futaba though because her and MC are going to take over LeBlanc when Sojiro retires. :colbert:)