Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Got to the finale in Yakuza 5. Is this motherfucker seriously trying to bribe Akiyama?

e: anyway, the best thing in this game was when I tried to pick up a baseball bat in a fight as Shinada and he paused for a couple of seconds and just refused. My man respects the equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Irony.or.Death posted:

I think I broadly agree with both of you, just...it feels like a stretch to call that the plot when it's all stuff we learn in the opening taxi ride. It's a fine premise. The individual segments contain some interesting beats that don't have any apparent connection to that opening premise so I was certainly curious about how it was all going to come together in the finale. But then it turns out the answer is terribly, in a way that makes no sense even by series standards. Reminder: the "villain" wanted to make sure Saejima was out of the way, and his approach to this starts with breaking Saejima out of prison and culminates with persuading Saejima to have a fist fight with Majima. I'm as happy as the next guy that Saejima punched a bear out along the way, but that's just breathtaking. We are left with some good vignettes inside of a really bad story.

I may still be really mad about the mis- and under-use of Majima.
Yakuza 5 finale stuff-
Kurosawa doesn’t want Saejima out of the way, he wants him in Tokyo to kill Katsuya, and when that fails he pits him against Majima instead. His whole scheme is decapitating the Tojo and the Omi simultaneously by manipulating all their top brass to kill each other, so his people can take control.

I don’t mind the stupidly convoluted villain schemes in Yakuza 5, but I really dislike the part where the heroes figure it all out in advance and... go along with it anyway, because :shrug:

Also, I think I’m the only person in the world who likes the Mandatory Final Boss Twist in Y5 just because I love it when the hero and the villain have similar motives. Gotta help your kid follow their dreams!

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Novasol posted:

A lot of the combat dialogue in general is amazing. Zhao as fortune teller is great just because he goes out of his way to try to sound spooky in the same way a Scooby Doo villain would. "Lightning's gonna oooooowwwwwwnnnn your rear end!" :allears:

Also, every single interaction with Essence of Titillating Claws is solid gold, from Nanba's "I could die happy now..." to Saeko's "Who's got the honk-honk now, boy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_8uod01VTI

Yardbomb posted:

The potential for friendly fire is worth it to hear the drunk lines.

Adachi: WHAAAHDYOOUUWAAANNNT

Yeah cannot overstate how awesome the dub work is. Just great work and effort put into the voice work.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Irony.or.Death posted:

It's pretty much just the lady who runs New Serena as far as I can remember

The one with literally no name? :v:

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

"Mama" is a perfectly respectable name!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inferior posted:

Also, I think I’m the only person in the world who likes the Mandatory Final Boss Twist in Y5 just because I love it when the hero and the villain have similar motives. Gotta help your kid follow their dreams!
i mean there's nothing wrong with the twist conceptually but they completely failed to deliver on the actual character writing to sell it. Aizawa has no character. all of him that we see in kiryu's chapter is apparently a completely fake front that he puts on for unexplained reasons, and the five minute conversation that he has before his boss fight contains only the barest hints of a motivation for him to do any of the poo poo that happens in the game. by making him the final boss like that they not only have a final boss with little emotional connection to any of the rest of the story, they also demolished his earlier character and left an empty hole in the story in its place!

they should've just had kurosawa's son be a yet-unseen guy introduced in the final chapter. it's not much better but at least you can leave aizawa as a character that makes sense this way.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the struggles of life is the final boss of y5.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Beat Yakuza 5. That really fell apart at the end, wow!

Tempted to move right on to 6, but afraid of burning out. But I want to get to Like a Dragon so bad! I can practically taste it!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

From what i've played of Y6 so far it doesn't seem to be going in that direction since it seems like they are gonna focus hardcore on Kiryu. It being the "final" game and all for him :v:

I'm not a big fan of the literal playing with the baby minigame but it was only the one section of it...so far!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, that minigame doesn't come up a lot.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man if you think that's bad wait until you play as the baby. haruto's heat actions barely do any damage at all!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

man if you think that's bad wait until you play as the baby. haruto's heat actions barely do any damage at all!

Would prefer baby fight man to doing more idol dancing and handshaking.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Oh, I really liked the songs and talk show segments. There could have been more songs, but I think I was so sick of street fights at that point that I was also happy just to be able to run around Sotenbori freely.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Also all of the dance battle tracks were really good! Haruka's gameplay was great, definitely wish she was allowed more personality than "polite" though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNRYeeFQLs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Also all of the dance battle tracks were really good! Haruka's gameplay was great, definitely wish she was allowed more personality than "polite" though

Yeah they really sanded off all the cool rough edges she had when she was 8 in the first game.

What a shame.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably a byproduct of needing to write the other kids at the orphanage.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The most important Yakuza video has already been made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPwzUdVQz6k

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Which game was it that allowed you to play as Date? From what I remember he was slow and hard to control, and couldn't take a hit to save his life, but he had this badass counter-move.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

Beat Yakuza 5. That really fell apart at the end, wow!

Tempted to move right on to 6, but afraid of burning out. But I want to get to Like a Dragon so bad! I can practically taste it!

6 is shorter in general, but also depends on how much time you sink into the side stuff.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The most important Yakuza video has already been made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPwzUdVQz6k

if it was the ultimate version, they would have used kiryu's kiwami version with the photo of pocket circuit fighter instead :colbert:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

J.A.B.C. posted:

Which game was it that allowed you to play as Date? From what I remember he was slow and hard to control, and couldn't take a hit to save his life, but he had this badass counter-move.

i dont think you've ever been able to play as Date unless it was in Dead Souls, that being the only one i've yet to play?

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
You never play as Date. He's a companion in Dead Souls, which means he just kinda hangs around with a gun and takes useless shots every two minutes.
Are you thinking of Tanimura, maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

AI: The Somnium Files

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I wanna say theres a climax battle where you play as Date? Maybe?

I like that even yakuza fans don't touch the climax battles

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

instant battle or climax battle? which do you prefer?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wolfsheim posted:

I wanna say theres a climax battle where you play as Date? Maybe?

I like that even yakuza fans don't touch the climax battles

I did. I hate them and they suck, but they were a requirement for platinum back in the day. Now they're not! And life is better.

My favorite climax battle moment is that Kiwami 1 doesn't have Jingu in any of its boss-oriented climax battles. They knew no one liked that fight.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I play the climax battles too. Some of them are fun, but I mostly like the boss rushes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah there's a climax battle in Kiwami where you play as Date. He's not very good at fighting and just makes you appreciate how much of an asskicker, well, literally any other playable character is.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I've only done the climax battles once, for 4, and only because doing all the climax battles gives you an infinite heat item you can take back into the game.

Nothing quite like getting the trophy for beating the game on Legend by bringing in infinite heat and a gun that never runs out of ammo.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Crappy Jack posted:

I've only done the climax battles once, for 4, and only because doing all the climax battles gives you an infinite heat item you can take back into the game.

Nothing quite like getting the trophy for beating the game on Legend by bringing in infinite heat and a gun that never runs out of ammo.

This is extremely cool and every Yakuza game should have a cheat item to break some of the bullshit difficult encounters.

In YK2 I somehow didn't touch those club bouncer missions (does that club ever come up again after YK2?) until after the ending when you can buy the infinite ammo gun and lightsaber and just steamrolled every encounter and it was pretty good times

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Crappy Jack posted:

I cannot beat that final one for the plat medal on 4. It stinks it's a 20 minute gauntlet and I run out at the end

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I still think about Nanba looking at a photo of the homeless camp's chief and crooning of his love... maybe once a week.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

mastershakeman posted:

I cannot beat that final one for the plat medal on 4. It stinks it's a 20 minute gauntlet and I run out at the end

I had a hard time with that too. I wasted a lot of time with Tanimura and struggled with a few of Kiryu's. I managed to get a lucky tiger drop in at the end with 3 seconds to spare.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man just hearing the battle music reminded me how much I liked this game poo poo

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Xarbala posted:

Yeah there's a climax battle in Kiwami where you play as Date. He's not very good at fighting and just makes you appreciate how much of an asskicker, well, literally any other playable character is.

I found it, I think.

https://youtu.be/zVY_wXoMbY8

Oh god the poor man...

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Covid must have hit RGG hard eh? No news at all on the next game right?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

all the characters are smokers and are isolating pretty hard as a result

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
nagoshi entered a new cocoon phase perhaps when he awakens as a winged mobster with hdr led veneers he can decide on his inspired direction for the next entry in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm about 10 hours into LAD and it is shaping up extremely well.
The story of 0 picked up pace much quicker, but I think the fact that this is at once much dryer in tone but even sillier than before, I'm having an awful lot of fun with it. the tonal whiplash is really the best thing about these games.

The pokemon reference sequence was extremely good.