Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

i can't imagine being Lauren Cohen having to return to TWD and they're like "okay cool so we're gonna give you a ninja and have you be a complete deus ex machina just so nobody important dies cause we're trying to wrap up this plot fast"

i bet she let out the longest, most resigned sigh in the history of the human race

If they paid her what she wanted, fine whatever. Departures and so on have basically left her the biggest star on the show other than Norman Reedus going into season 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's about time Morgan got a weapon upgrade from the wooden stick he'd been using.

Oh and a new-found reason to live, that was good too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The gently caress how is he not dead

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

As someone who has checked out of the last couple of seasons (tried the first 15 minutes of World Beyond and couldn't manage it) after the time snip has there been any discussion by characters on the age of the walkers?

There aren't that many survivors to be dying off, so I'd assume most of the walkers are like a decade old at this point and worn to poo poo?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

As someone who has checked out of the last couple of seasons (tried the first 15 minutes of World Beyond and couldn't manage it) after the time snip has there been any discussion by characters on the age of the walkers?

There aren't that many survivors to be dying off, so I'd assume most of the walkers are like a decade old at this point and worn to poo poo?

Yes, a lot of the empties are very decayed. Many are skeletal, without any flesh on face and other parts, and are so old they seem to be less of a threat. Can be pushed away/knocked down and easily outrun.
In Ep 2 the kids walk past one old empty so decomposed it's been turned into a beehive.

edit: because the series is called...World Bee-yond LOL.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 13, 2020

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm watching it now on Prime just because it exists and laughing at how terrible it is. Those kids are useless. Nina from The Americans is there though so that's a silver lining.

I finally gave up on the main show, after telling myself I'd see it through to the bitter end. Even I have a limit for terrible tv shows, it seems.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lmao I'm glad they are continuing their idea of "Everyone gets dumber to create suspense"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc8oKPnikW8

this is some scooby doo poo poo like just loving kill them with the gate closed to begin with

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

lmao I'm glad they are continuing their idea of "Everyone gets dumber to create suspense"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc8oKPnikW8

this is some scooby doo poo poo like just loving kill them with the gate closed to begin with

Sorry but the old, "these people are stupid" criticism isn't valid anymore.

I've observed Americans people all over the world during a global pandemic being outsmarted by an undead (not living) microorganism; and this show captures the "everyone gets dumber" reality quite well. If anything, the people on these shows are much smarter than a lot of IRL elected leaders and the populations that vote for them.

All that's missing so far is a Karen yelling, "These undead won't affect me, now where's the manager of this outpost I've got complaints"

EDIT

Actually, "where's the manager of this outpost I've got complaints" pretty much sums up Madison's character arc on FWTD.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 13, 2020

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Just had a comfy thought I wanted to share with you guys. You remember back when at the height of this show's hubris there was an hour long talk show following each episode hosted by that dipshit Chris Hardwick? Is that still going?
You remember when the guest would usually be whoever just died in the episode?

Remember when they killed off Tyrone, then in a pathetic show to try to give the character any gravity or meaning, he referred to the random home depot hammer that Tyrone carried around as "being like thor's hammer"? gently caress that was hilarious in how awkward it was

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

Binary Logic posted:

I've observed Americans people all over the world during a global pandemic being outsmarted by an undead (not living) microorganism; and this show captures the "everyone gets dumber" reality quite well. If anything, the people on these shows are much smarter than a lot of IRL elected leaders and the populations that vote for them.

All that's missing so far is a Karen yelling, "These undead won't affect me, now where's the manager of this outpost I've got complaints"

EDIT

Actually, "where's the manager of this outpost I've got complaints" pretty much sums up Madison's character arc on FWTD.

The best part about this is that any Walking Dead prequel stuff has effectively been rendered moot, unless it features scenes of rabidly right-wing chuds and karens insisting that it is their constitutional right to get bitten by zombies. Complete with a fat orange idiot President who gets bitten but then insists it's no worse than the flu, all while his medical team scurries around trying to hide the signs that he's starting to decay.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Whoa now, if you want that kinda thing you'll have to read World War Z.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the only smart thing TWD ever did was not killing off Negan

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Give them time...

I've now watched the first three Beyond episodes. First was decent enough, nice world building. The second, not great, reliance on inexperienced actors started grating. Third episode though, time to abandon ship.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

EDIT

People not wanting to quarantine themselves to stop a deadly plague and screaming "my freedom" was always one of the dumbest plotlines in TV.

Then it happened in reality.

:sigh:

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Oct 20, 2020

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Finally watched finale (after skipping like 10 episodes) and its literally the best way to watch. We were like wheres Michone? oh she had a whole filler episode, thank christ wr missed that. wheres alpha? holy poo poo negan beheaded her? (we paused and watched the scene, took 5 minutes).

I think this is how ill enjoy walking dead from now on. I'll give the new season a few episodes to see who the new people are. If its some BIG BAD society BUT THIS TIME ITS DIFFERENT then meh, I'll wait till mid season finale.

Honesty im hoping its a "everyone gets integrated in to this new society and they're fish outta water and some peel off to go adventuring and others just live".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Wait, So How Did ‘Fear The Walking Dead’ Get Good Again?

Good article after the first episode of the season - and the second ep was even better.

edit: forgot to do KOTW

Do the Strand:

If I ever have the opportunity to exit an RV, got to remember to do it like that, zombie apocalypse or not.

Last week Morgan got a weapon upgrade, this time it was Alicia's turn. Nice to see her back in action headshotting z's like a pro.

But Kill Of The Week goes to Strand, giving Sanjay the deserter a "hero's death" he deserved. After stabbing him in the leg, Strand literally kicks Sanjay in the rear end LOL.

And this is the kind of leadership quality Virginia has been looking for so we might end up seeing Strand with an army tearing poo poo up?!
Colman Domingo turned his performance up to 11 this ep and I'm here for it.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 20, 2020

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

how does this garbage still exist

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This ep was almost all relationships and no zombies. I don't even have a KOTW! Gonna need an Alicia-heavy episode soon for some good zombie skewering.

And even without the z's, this was one of the best FTWD episodes since Madison's departure.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Another excellent episode this week, continuing to feature a few characters while pushing the story forward.
KOTW: Alicia's back with a double shot.

...and Morgan bats cleanup.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
She just smoked those two fools easily, why is she standing frozen in horror at one extra chump?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

You remind of one of those Japanese soldiers who were still fighting WW2 in the 70's.

Umbra
Jul 9, 2003
Sweet Sassy Molassy.

Narzack posted:

She just smoked those two fools easily, why is she standing frozen in horror at one extra chump?

She's like, "Who is that cool axe guy, whoooooaaaaaa!"

This season is good though. The characters actions, mostly make sense! (which is a low bar, but hey walking dead)
Conflict between the main cast is also believable, rather that characters doing 180's so they can have a new plot line.

No more til 2021 though, I think.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fear is still so loving stupid, jfc

Sure let's feel sentimental and bad for the guy that kidnapped one of us, locked us in his house, then trapped us inside by summoning his dumbass zombie creations. Yeah that makes so much sense

Oh we need a plot point for Morgan, uhh he was injured so he couldn't leave! Yeah, let's none of us writers even do the bare minimum of a Google search to understand how a bullet being left in a wound would work, but let's just say his wound smells, uh, and that he can get surgeried up by someone who would not be able to do this, which we would know again with doing the bare minimum research

I guess they're staying consistent with their shaping reality to conform with their ideas and having no logical consistency whatsoever

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Form 1053-B

Reason For Covid-19 Test: No symptoms but within past 7 days was member of a zombie horde.

Oh, that Negan! The sadistic, casually cruel anti-hero we never knew we needed?!

i stopped watching awhile ago, back when negan was in prison, and i'm kind of curious as to how it ends up like that

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

CODChimera posted:

i stopped watching awhile ago, back when negan was in prison, and i'm kind of curious as to how it ends up like that

Carol lets him out and he plays fake traitor.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm like super an idiot so still watching the show just because I really like the first couple seasons. Carol's character was so cool and now it's being destroyed. Daryl suddenly has a fling they're super implying now that he's heterosexual but supposedly no he's not really or something..
Smh
Carol and he had chemistry but now they don't. I'm watching out of just total morbid curiosity what in the world are they going to do- what pathetic way are they going to end it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spinz posted:

I'm like super an idiot so still watching the show just because I really like the first couple seasons. Carol's character was so cool and now it's being destroyed. Daryl suddenly has a fling they're super implying now that he's heterosexual but supposedly no he's not really or something..
Smh
Carol and he had chemistry but now they don't. I'm watching out of just total morbid curiosity what in the world are they going to do- what pathetic way are they going to end it?

I mean it looks like they're doing the commonwealth poo poo with the stormtroopers and that trailer showing a cake but that arc in the books was ENTIRELY about Rick, Carl, and Michonne and well....

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bobjr posted:

Carol lets him out and he plays fake traitor.

Negan is now a massive problem for the writers. You have the biggest, baddest, toughest villain the show ever had...and he's now a good guy. But he can also turn on his full ruthless swagger whenever he wants.

So...when the New Big Bad that terrorized Maggie and her friends on her Unseen Spinoff shows up...are we supposed to be in awe of him? Can't they just wind Negan up and point him thataway, so he can laugh in the guy's face same way he would have when he ran The Saviors, then wreck him? When Robert Patrick showed up, the way they had sold his appearance I thought he was going to be the leader of the New Enemy and he was just loving with Gabriel and Aaron. And the whole time I thought "drat, Negan would not be bothered at all by this guy. He would be quipping and then just shoot him." Or he would have ended up taking over. By extension, pretty much every scene would be better with Negan in it.

It's kind of an issue anytime a really bad guy does a face turn but can still go dark when they want. Barnabas Collins on Dark Shadows was good for this: he was an evil vampire who was cruel and ruthless and sadistic at times, turned good, but now and again he could go full dark. Like this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-gGnDmSOsw&t=223s

Pure menace... and he's the hero, savior of his family and the town. Thing is, he remembered that the bad guy here was a mook he was capable of being badder than. So you cheer him the gently caress on.

The writers have to either kill Negan or nerf him. I'm reminded of Star Trek Discovery, with Empress Georgiou in the last season. She was way overpowered and out of place--so she had to go. Even a temporary nerfing can work, like with Al Swearingen on Deadwood. He spent several episodes laid up with fight injuries and kidney stones which allowed Hearst to get a foothold in the town.

My money is on Negan not making it to S11.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Astroman posted:

Negan is now a massive problem for the writers.

I stopped watching this show shortly after Negan killed Glenn and Abraham, so I've missed 4 or 5 years of episodes, but I'm seeing the ads and with Maggie back in the show and I would think that she would be trying to kill Negan every chance she gets. What is the short version of the history of events that has both these characters currently co-existing in the show?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Listerine posted:

I stopped watching this show shortly after Negan killed Glenn and Abraham, so I've missed 4 or 5 years of episodes, but I'm seeing the ads and with Maggie back in the show and I would think that she would be trying to kill Negan every chance she gets. What is the short version of the history of events that has both these characters currently co-existing in the show?

Unknown because Maggie's thoughts on the matter haven't really been explored. Someone says "You can't kill him we offered his freedom in exchange for helping us against a bigger threat" and she acquiesced to that, but she also kinda implied she's looking for a way to kill him without making everyone mad by the end of her return episode

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Listerine posted:

Saviors and the gang fought, ended in all out war, the good guys won. Negan is almost killed by Rick but kept alive and imprisoned forever to see the error of his ways. Years later a worse enemy shows up, poo poo gets bad real quick, and Carol in a last ditched effort cooks up a plan with Negan to free him so he can infiltrate the enemy and kill the leader from within. Negan does his "is he actually doing the thing or not" for a while but ultimately comes through AND comes back. So everyone kinda knows he's poo poo but they also acknowledge he did a good thing. However, this is where the show diverges because Negan is being active within the community in some extent. In the comics, Negan does come through against the whispers but is ultimately exiled from the community. He's allowed to live nearby (and within the community's safety/patrols) but he's very much still persona non grata to almost everyone to the very end). The show has kinda dropped this by developing his relationship with certain characters that keep him tethered to the group and now that Maggie is back it's all coming to a head.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I can't believe this is still going on, I'm kinda tempted to binge it, stopped around the time the trash people did something. Or was that Fear? god these shows were bad

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CODChimera posted:

I can't believe this is still going on, I'm kinda tempted to binge it, stopped around the time the trash people did something. Or was that Fear? god these shows were bad

The scenes where Negan gets his groove (and jacket and bat) back and swaggers into the Whisperer camp cracking jokes and mocking them with no fear are worth it. You need that whole background of how bad he was, how he seemed to treat everything like a joke, and how poo poo-scared the main characters were of the Whisperers to get that payoff.

Negan is a bit like Q, a trickster, and also seems to realize he's in a tv show while everyone else is emoting and fighting to survive.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Usually the first episodes after a break have something exciting going on to make you think it's going to be good again but these have just been incredibly boring.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For like the last 4 seasons you can watch the season premiere, the mid season finale, midseason premiere, and season finale (and any episode directly tied to these if they’re 2 parters) and get immediately caught up because everything else is filler trash.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

i watched the first ep after the break(i think?) and it was maggie, daryl, connie, then two random rear end people maggie brought with, one cosplaying as some lame ninja, just walking through the same looking forest for the entire ep

i fell asleep and woke up to some roided out army dude and then maggie going "OH NO THE REAPERS" before the army guy literally blew himself up and i just turned it off. i really didn't think it could make appreciably leaps in Awfulness, but hoooooooly gently caress

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Johnny Truant posted:

i watched the first ep after the break(i think?) and it was maggie, daryl, connie, then two random rear end people maggie brought with, one cosplaying as some lame ninja, just walking through the same looking forest for the entire ep

i fell asleep and woke up to some roided out army dude and then maggie going "OH NO THE REAPERS" before the army guy literally blew himself up and i just turned it off. i really didn't think it could make appreciably leaps in Awfulness, but hoooooooly gently caress

The whole time they were talking about "The Reapers" then when she confronts him she's like "What do you call yourselves?!" These people love making up cool nicknames for the out groups.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I can't believe that entire episode was set inside a train carriage. And it looks like we're not going to get any resolution this season about who these armoured people are. This is all so slow.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

This is all so slow.
Well, we've been on the same thread for 4 seasons now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I seriously can't imagine Lauren Cohen having to slink back to this trash after her own slow bombed, like, that's gotta be demoralizing as gently caress