Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

What is he not taking into account? I mostly watch the HDR analysis from the channel for videogames but that stuff seems like solid as advice and is pretty highly regarded from what I've seen.

His focus is all all about peak brightness and if it doesn't reach an arbitrary level, it's labeled fake HDR. But it's not that simple.

rec709 says peak white is 100 CD/m2 though SDR screens can get as bright as 400 CD/m2.

So, this guy is looking at scenes in the Mandalorian and seeing peak values in some scenes as 200 CD/m2. Hark, he says, that's well within the range of SDR displays. Fake HDR! Fake HDR!

Yeah, but it's not valid to master something in rec709 to display at 200 CD/m2 on a calibrated display. Also, keep in mind that's peak WHITE, when you start looking at specific colors the peak gets even lower for SDR.

Ok, but surely that's just a semantic difference right? If an SDR display is perfectly capably of showing 200CD/m2, can't we get the same HDR image buy using an SDR mastered one and cranking up the brightness of the SDR display (and let's face it, everyone has their brightness higher than mastered levels anyways)? See, fake HDR.

Well...no. That's ignoring the R part of HDR. Range. See, if something is mastered with 100CD/m2 being peak white, everything under that peak has to fit in, well, under that peak. But if the thing was mastered with 200CD/m2 being peak white, then there's a whole lot more headroom under that peak for subtle variation. Detail in the shadows that may have been crushed in with black to allow enough range under the peak to distinguish other detail can actually be shown because there's more available range to show it.

This is simplistic to the point of not being all that accurate, but the following is a good illustrative point. Say SDR has a range of 1-100. Anything less than 1 blends in with black and anything you want to see without being clipped has to be a value in that range. Then you have Mad Max Fury Road that has a range of 1-10000! You have 10x the range to work with, amazing (even though 90% of that range can't be displayed on consumer TVs.)

Then you have the Mandalorian. 1-200. The peak is within the technical capabilities of SDR displays (though not when mastered and displayed correctly) but there's double the range of the SDR master. So, you have a scene where you hit your peak nits with, say, a blaster bolt. You have double the variations in brightness to display other scene detail in the HDR version vs the SDR version.

So, yeah, that's why it's a flawed analysis. It is perfectly valid to say that the Mandalorian isn't taxing the capabilities of Dolby Vision or some higher end displays and wish for it to have more pop. It's really not valid to cherry pick frames and use their peak values and say "An SDR display is capable of this level of brightness, so there's not point in it being HDR so it must be fake." Peak brightness isn't the final word in whether or not something is HDR.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

True, I did forget about AppleTV. But, aren't they missing a couple of the services or have they got all of the major ones now? I had an old Apple TV that I got free from Directv Now but I distinctly remember that not all apps were available at the time.
Apple TV 3 (pre-4K) has pretty much nothing, because it didn't have an App Store. I think the usual ones are mostly covered now, but you can always look up your faves and see if there is a tvOS version. The Crunchyroll app kinda sucks, because it loses your login session every day or something, but I think it's universally awful.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

EL BROMANCE posted:

What are you looking for app wise? The Apple TV apps tend to be excellent. The only drawback to the device is Plex doesn’t have access to things like bitstreaming audio or atmos.

The mainstream ones are HBO Max/YouTube/Disney+/Amazon Prime/Paramount, and Discovery+.

But the biggest ones would be Kodi and Smart YouTube and I'm fairly certain you can't get those on iOS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’ll have all those top line ones you mentioned. The others can be sideloaded and personally isn’t worth the effort IMO.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bull3964 posted:

So, yeah, that's why it's a flawed analysis. It is perfectly valid to say that the Mandalorian isn't taxing the capabilities of Dolby Vision or some higher end displays and wish for it to have more pop. It's really not valid to cherry pick frames and use their peak values and say "An SDR display is capable of this level of brightness, so there's not point in it being HDR so it must be fake." Peak brightness isn't the final word in whether or not something is HDR.

That's an interesting take on that account's whole thing and I am certainly a layman when it comes to this stuff, but the problem with Mandalorian season 1 isn't that it isn't taxing the capabilities of Dolby Vision, it's that it looks like poo poo. I've really only been reading up on this HDR stuff for the last couple of weeks and you can find tons of posts online where people complain that HDR things are too dark when what they really mean is that they don't like how dark it is, but the Mandalorian looks like you're watching it with a Walmart bag stretched over your eyes. I don't know what they did with it, but it definitely seems to be capital W Wrong.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks completely fine on my C6 from a Shield TV.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

bull3964 posted:

Looks completely fine on my C6 from a Shield TV.

Are you able to actually get Dolby Vision from the Shield? I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that over my Chromecast Ultra Disney+ triggers the Dolby Vision icon on my TCL but then if I go into the picture settings it only gives me the SDR settings, which I assumed meant it wasn't actually displaying in HDR but consequently looked fine. When I tried it on the built-in Roku app it gave me the Dolby Vision settings, but looked really bad (the whole thing looks very washed out and gray). Not sure what exactly is going on but the image I pegged as SDR from the Chromecast looks much better, and this has not been my experience on this TV with any other HDR-capable app.

Sorry for the barrage of posts, it was just triggering my desire to tinker with stuff when I get a new TV so I've been curious if other people have had the same issues with Disney in particular.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

RichterIX posted:

Are you able to actually get Dolby Vision from the Shield?

Yeah, I watch tons of stuff with DV with the ShieldTV. It works great.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The whole idea of Dolby Vision is that you don’t have to mess with any settings. DV is metadata that tells your TV what to do. My Sony x900h won’t let me change anything while playing DV content, my TCL 6 series lets me make minimal changes, but not enough to screw up the picture.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheWevel posted:

The whole idea of Dolby Vision is that you don’t have to mess with any settings. DV is metadata that tells your TV what to do. My Sony x900h won’t let me change anything while playing DV content, my TCL 6 series lets me make minimal changes, but not enough to screw up the picture.

Yeah, this is how I noticed that it wasn't actually displaying in HDR over my Chromecast Ultra in spite of the Dolby Vision icon popping up-- my TV shows me the SDR settings instead of the truncated DV settings.

Posting in here made me mess around with it more, I think the issue might actually be my internet speeds. My wifi speed test results are right on the 25mps line that Disney+ recommends, so whatever method the app uses to determine what options you get for video quality is topping out at 1080p.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
HDR isn’t resolution exclusive. 1080p HDR is totally a thing.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheWevel posted:

HDR isn’t resolution exclusive. 1080p HDR is totally a thing.

I could be mistaken but I think I don't think this is the case with Disney+ in particular.

Edit: actually I mean this vice versa, I'm not sure if Disney+ will do 1080p HDR but it won't do 4k without HDR based on me spending my Sunday evening googling around

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I don't know what the deal is with your TV, but I watched all of Mando in DV and both seasons look great.

And yes, the whole thing with D+ shows being "fake HDR" is a bunch of BS. The truth of the matter is there's a decent number of DP's out there that just don't like HDR, and when color grading they just want the HDR to be as close as possible to the SDR.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know what the deal is with your TV, but I watched all of Mando in DV and both seasons look great.

And yes, the whole thing with D+ shows being "fake HDR" is a bunch of BS. The truth of the matter is there's a decent number of DP's out there that just don't like HDR, and when color grading they just want the HDR to be as close as possible to the SDR.

Works correctly (ignoring my issues with how it looks which may or may not just end up being a matter of opinion) on the built-in Roku app, it's just casting from my phone over the Chromecast Ultra that seems to cause issues. It seems like it's something in the Disney+ Android app that causes it not to detect that my setup is capable of 4k HDR.

Either way, sorry again for the post flurry, it's just my last setup quibble after spending the week getting my living room set up how I wanted it, ultimately I can just use the TV's app when I want to use Disney+, my wife and I just tend toward using the Chromecast out of convenience.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony XBR49X950H/A +$100 gift card at B&H - $900 shipped

Sony XBR55A8H (OLED) +$170 gift card at B&H - $1698 shipped

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm finally looking to buy my first 4K TV. Hoping to spend less than $1000 and mostly just planning on using it for PS5 games and general TV/movie streaming.

I'm looking at the 55" TCL 6-series: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0885F5GMP/?coliid=I2XIR49KMEAKSM&colid=2KTXV0M3B2P7X&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anything to know about that? I think TCL is recommended pretty often here, but I figured I'd ask if there are any concerns/better options before I buy.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4QiAA4lk0Q

LG G1 unboxing from Digital Trends.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Harrow posted:

I'm finally looking to buy my first 4K TV. Hoping to spend less than $1000 and mostly just planning on using it for PS5 games and general TV/movie streaming.

I'm looking at the 55" TCL 6-series: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0885F5GMP/?coliid=I2XIR49KMEAKSM&colid=2KTXV0M3B2P7X&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anything to know about that? I think TCL is recommended pretty often here, but I figured I'd ask if there are any concerns/better options before I buy.

I think you can get an equivalent-sized Sony for the same price.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Wonder if it’ll be worth getting over the CX? Haven’t been able to watch it yet — will this year’s offerings have true HDMI 2.1 support for 4K 120hz without the color compromise?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
G1 has the brighter panel so yes. Except for the price

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

tehinternet posted:

Wonder if it’ll be worth getting over the CX? Haven’t been able to watch it yet — will this year’s offerings have true HDMI 2.1 support for 4K 120hz without the color compromise?

I mean, if you're debating this over the CX you're also debating this over the C1 and I haven't seen a comparison yet. If you're flush with cash and you want a brighter OLED then maybe.

I've also seen nothing with regards to the chipset issue so that is a consideration. Which really shouldn't influence buying an OLED TV anyway.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 18, 2021

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

When are the C1s supposed to be available? It’s time for an upgrade from my 2010 panny plasma

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Apparently if you use their "Payboo" store card, you can also get your sales tax refunded as an instant credit. I did a bunch of reading on this to figure out what the catch was, and looks like none assuming you pay it off immediately and live in one of the states that is eligible.

Right now trying to figure out if I pull the trigger with that or pay the extra ~$100 from the tax to get it from Best Buy to have the ability to any-reason return it if needed.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

tehinternet posted:

I read somewhere they still have the 40Gbps limit in this year’s models.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Evis posted:

I read somewhere they still have the 40Gbps limit in this year’s models.

I... I just want full HDMI 2.1 support, 4K 120hz with no color fuckery

Is that too much to ask

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Give it time. Even receivers are having issues with all of that.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Also remember that for the CX at least (and I'm assuming the C1), the screen itself can't display 4k/120hz/12bit HDR. 40Gbps supports the hardest you can drive the screen, so even if there is eventually 4k/120hz/12bit HDR content, the C9 still won't be able to display it, despite supporting that extra bandwidth.

It's very much a theoretical mountain out of a molehill in my opinion. Of course I also haven't bought in to OLED yet, so I might have a different opinion when it's my actual dollars on the line.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

FilthyImp posted:

G1 has the brighter panel so yes.

The brightness upgrade is, seemingly, not that substantial:

quote:

Brightness on a white HDR window covering 10% of an otherwise black image measures around 778 nits in the Standard preset, around 767 nits in the Cinema Home preset, and around 760 nits each for the Cinema and Filmmaker Mode presets. The Vivid mode does get to a pretty impressive 872 nits, but the overall aggression this preset is way too strong to deliver a natural, engaging picture.

The 77GX from 2020, by comparison, produced 754 nits in Vivid mode, 744 nits in standard, 741 nits in Cinema Home, plus 683 nits in both Cinema and Filmmaker Mode presets.

From here https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2021/03/18/lg-oled65g1-oled-tv-review-walk-on-the-bright-side/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

77" CX $3,300+$400 Visa GC+1 year extended warranty for burn-in

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

This is really tempting

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After finally unpacking from my move 9-months ago, I’m going to wall mount a TV in my bedroom. I’ve got a 12yo 46” Samsung LCD that weighs a million pounds sitting on my bedroom floor doing nothing and a spare ATV 4K.

Debating getting rid of the TV and getting a newer 4K to replace it. But since it’s a bedroom TV that will be watched sparingly, just looking for a decent cheap one. Should I be looking for TCL? Budget would be $500 optimally but it’s not a hard limit since I don’t want to throw junk up there. 55” would do just fine. Would probably only need 2 HDMI ports. I’ll be AirPlaying sound to a pair of Sonos One SLs, so I don’t need an ARC port. Although maybe one would be nice if I can find a Sonos Beam on a deep holiday discount at some point. Don’t care about any smart TV stuff since I’ll use my ATV to play everything.

I see that TCL 6-series link above and it looks pretty solid.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Had a lot of fun today trying to get ARC to behave how I want. Can't seem to get the LG CX's remote to change my Denon's volume. Then, I don't know what I changed but the remote also now doesn't control my amazon firestick anymore. :/ (CEC is turned on, on both the Denon, TV, and firestick)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I have the same setup except an older model. I use the fire stick remote for everything. I don’t touch the denon remote at all.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't know where my Denon remote is.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

GreenNight posted:

I have the same setup except an older model. I use the fire stick remote for everything. I don’t touch the denon remote at all.

Is the firestick in a 2nd HDMI port on the TV or plugged into a HDMI port on the AVR?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Plugged into the receiver. The only thing I have plugged into my TV is the receiver. I hit the power button on the fire stick remote and it turns on the tv, then the receiver and sometimes the ps5 too.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Got it working! Denon, Firestick, and Freesat all controlled by the remote. I had to set auto-detect off.

Let me repeat that. I had to set auto detect off, for it to automatically detect them.

Thanks, LG!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

LG uses Bluetooth or something fit their remotes so it’s hard to get it to play nice with other devices.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
That's a bummer; my Hisense remote can also pair with Bluetooth, and it works with the TV apps, Chromecast function, and even my PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Anyone have a Sonos Arc? Looking at different soundboard and it seems to get high praise even though it's expensive.

(If there is a sound thread just let me know)