Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Yeah I'm not a fan of the consumable stuff in Tangledeep. The healing flask was a great compromise between the usual consumable hoarding and stuff like ToME's infinite use infusions, but then you had a billion different food items.
Apparently the sequel will instead have you enter a dungeon with a set "loadout" of consumables which refresh each time you start a new area which sounds way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tonfa posted:

My Tangledeep experience was getting overwhelmed by the myriad different types of food consumables combined with 0 natural regen meaning

You have the recharging health flask. Consumables are more for the tough fights.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just fyi tangledeep has a daily/weekly challenge mode and many of the challenge conditions make the game fundamentally better. "regenerate health out of combat" for both the player and monsters is almost always included as a modifier for example. there is no time limit on how long you can keep a save with a particular set of challenge conditions, you just won't submit to the leaderboard if you finish after the challenge is over, and you can do multiple runs on that file.

for example, this is the most interesting set of modifiers i've ever found and 80% of the time when i start up tangledeep i use this file.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Your don't need to select daily/weekly challenges to use those conditions, you can use them in normal games.

See what I said about them being too hidden?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Your don't need to select daily/weekly challenges to use those conditions, you can use them in normal games.

See what I said about them being too hidden?

whaaaat

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Yeah dude.

My complete tangledeep run I used most of those but the one that really made the game click was regen out of combat. It took the whole food cognitive load problem out of the game and made it way better.

Also adventure mode is almost required if you really want to engage with all the sub systems. My end run was something like 40 hours after doing the new game +++ or whatever the end was.

Also the newish journeys/stories stuff was a lot of fun.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

And also where? I bounced off Tangledeep hard, but those mods would probably make me give it another shot.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Duderclese posted:

And also where? I bounced off Tangledeep hard, but those mods would probably make me give it another shot.

I think it’s when you are picking your bonus traits there is a link at the bottom with some options

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In the 'feats' page, in the bottom part:

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

In the 'feats' page, in the bottom part:

Was this always there, or did it get added later?

I personally never had trouble with the resources not regenerating but I did have huge anxiety over food in DCSS, and I'm not sure how that makes any sense. Maybe it's that in Tangledeep I accrued resources faster than I used them so I just never worried about popping a tent to heal, but DCSS had rotting and weight limits so it was harder to accumulate an ever-expanding food stockpile. Tangledeep thankfully has no weight limits, so the only real decision on resource usage is "Is my usage outpacing my inflow?" The are no spiky mechanics like with food in DCSS where you might have to budget for not having access over a section of the game.

I think the majority of people who tried the game disliked the non-regenerating resources but I kind of liked it? I certainly ended up using more consumables than I do in other games, and it successfully broke my "might need it later" barrier.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Was this always there, or did it get added later?

I think it was always there. At least since I started to play, which was a few months after release.
IMO, it's two things bad together. One, it's kind of hidden as explained. And two, it's a 'make up your own custom difficulty setting' thing, which is very nice but it shouldn't replace a easy/normal/hard modes. I say this because I know some people that dislike having to use something like this, they want something clear, easy and definitive.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i think non-regenerating resources is fine, but i'm not sure the rest of the design of tangledeep supports that dynamic enough for it to work without making some people anxious. like, the endlessly respawning monsters combined with non-endless resources means that there is the potential for you to be in a walking dead state if you fight random monsters too much. even if the odds of that are slim, some players will subconsciously realize it's possible and feel overwhelmed by it

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
i find tangledeep to be an incredible rpg and a sort of frustrating roguelike, very happy for the options to make it the game i like

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Oh wow, I'm gonna try that list. Knocking outthe constant worry that I'm eating too much/not enough might make it click.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Been enjoying CoQ. Didn't expect sonnets. I can pretty easily get through the Joppa quests now, but got blown up by goatfolk a few times after leaving that area. Guessing I should avoid them until I'm higher level.

Tried Cogmind, but the text ended up being too tiny for my horrible eyes to read comfortably (even after turning up the font size all the way). Too bad, cause the game seems interesting.

Wondering what other roguelikes I should try. I think what I appreciate most about CoQ is that it has a lot of humorous/bizarre descriptions and dialogue. Any other games like that?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
IVAN :unsmigghh: that's a joke please don't play IVAN looking for worldbuilding detail

Serious answer: there's nothing quite like CoQ out there, to my knowledge. Not many roguelikes go out of their way to make everything examinable, with evocative prose and everything - most just provide dry gameplay stats and maybe a concise description. And don't even get me started on dialogue; ToME4 has a shitload of that stuff, but it all reads like the lyrics from one of those power metal ballad-songs where somebody recites prose for ten minutes with occasional bursts of guitar work scattered in.

e: although I will admit that the Brotherhood of Alchemists guys have some pretty funny dialogue. Agrimley cracks me up every time.

e2: oh! I know! If you're at all interested in comedic writing, check out Dungeonmans. It's all exceedingly silly and tongue-in-cheek, but the whole game oozes charm, self-effacing though it might be. Every skill or item has its own goofy description, and the bosses and NPCs have some quite funny lines that lampshade the roguelike genre and fantasy media as a whole.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 18, 2021

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Agreed, Qud and Dungeonmans tone is very different but there is a whole shitload of real craft in dungeonmans writing.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I'm making a roguelike.

What do you guys hate about the genre, and what do you like? Please assume Turn-Based only.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Serious answer: there's nothing quite like CoQ out there, to my knowledge. Not many roguelikes go out of their way to make everything examinable, with evocative prose and everything - most just provide dry gameplay stats and maybe a concise description.

Shadow of the Wyrm tries for this, but I don't have enough experience with it to say if it succeeds all the way through. I just definitely got that evocative Qud vibe from it even though it's less complete and more traditionally "fantasy" than Qud is.

Dude should definitely play Dungeonmans though (but basically everyone should).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What do you guys hate about the genre

Inventory management

quote:

and what do you like?

Meaningful decisions

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sometimes the game just gives you the win

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What do you guys hate about the genre, and what do you like?

I dislike it when games start me out with an incomplete tool set or withhold quality of life features. I like it when games reward you for mastering the systems and not for how much hours I sink into the game. I also love the randomization of rougelikes and I think getting screwed by RNG is fun as hell, the idea of me trying my hardest and playing focused only to get screwed over by random chance just makes me feel like I want to slam my foot on the throttle and see what lightningbolts the god of RNG can throw at me and if I can still take them.

What I would like to see is a game that can take a limited pallet of environs and tools and still give it enough variety to make it compelling. Sort of like how there is always the "sewer level" and the "level that takes place in the guts of a huge creature", I think devs spread themselves too thin in creating assets and playstyles for each "level", and if they focused on one thing and honed it to a fierce edge that'd be dope as all hell.

As a kid I couldn't get ahold of a lot of videogames so I'd end up downloading tons of demos and I'd replay the first level over and over again. It would be cool to take the concept of "this is the first level" but make it stretch to infinity, procedurally generated from how distant you get from the starting point and not how many stairs you've climbed. But idk how much of that you can implement in a turn-based roguelike.

Sorry for the wall, I just have always loved this genre and haven't really talked about it that much.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

jasoneatspizza posted:

Been enjoying CoQ. Didn't expect sonnets. I can pretty easily get through the Joppa quests now, but got blown up by goatfolk a few times after leaving that area. Guessing I should avoid them until I'm higher level.

Tried Cogmind, but the text ended up being too tiny for my horrible eyes to read comfortably (even after turning up the font size all the way). Too bad, cause the game seems interesting.

Wondering what other roguelikes I should try. I think what I appreciate most about CoQ is that it has a lot of humorous/bizarre descriptions and dialogue. Any other games like that?
Depending on your definition of roguelike: How do you feel about the idea of firing a gun that shoots other guns that shoot bullets at bullets carrying guns that shoot bullets that shoot other bullets? If your answer is “confused but intrigued” then check out Enter the Gungeon.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

pumpinglemma posted:

Depending on your definition of roguelike: How do you feel about the idea of firing a gun that shoots other guns that shoot bullets at bullets carrying guns that shoot bullets that shoot other bullets? If your answer is “confused but intrigued” then check out Enter the Gungeon.

If we're recommending twinstick roguelites as games similar to CoQ than I think the proper recommendation here would be Monolith. It's at least more thematically similar, although a lot of it's world building is either in the bestiary, or just through the visual storytelling of the enemies and environments themselves, like how many apparent practical uses there are for ghosts.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm making a roguelike.

What do you guys hate about the genre,
permadeath

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

and what do you like? Please assume Turn-Based only.
metaprogression

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stunt_enby posted:

permadeath

metaprogression

:3:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG posted:

As a kid I couldn't get ahold of a lot of videogames so I'd end up downloading tons of demos and I'd replay the first level over and over again. It would be cool to take the concept of "this is the first level" but make it stretch to infinity, procedurally generated from how distant you get from the starting point and not how many stairs you've climbed. But idk how much of that you can implement in a turn-based roguelike.

Sorry for the wall, I just have always loved this genre and haven't really talked about it that much.
Mordor is not a roguelike but I spent a long time with the shareware version of it.

There should be more mordorlikes.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Stunt_enby posted:

permadeath

metaprogression

I cast you out, demon! Begone!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm making a roguelike.

What do you guys hate about the genre, and what do you like? Please assume Turn-Based only.

Non-Optional Permadeath.

Mecha. I want more mecha roguelikes. Give me giant robots.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm making a roguelike.

likes: transparent character creation and leveling system, tiles, small maps or autoexplorable big maps, meaningful choice between risk and reward

dislike: bloated inventory, alt-tabbing to wiki all the time

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Bad inventory for me. Either give me a super limited slot based inventory with meaningful decisions about what to keep and what to leave behind, or let me carry literally everything and give me a good way to sort it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Support for HJKLYUBN, preferably without my having to rebind anything
Auto explore or very interesting manual exploration
An extremely easy way to tell when I get a better thing than the thing I currently wear/wield

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Mordor is not a roguelike but I spent a long time with the shareware version of it.

Oh man, that's the first person one where you explore a dungeon that refreshes every so often? I remember loving that too.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

One wish I had for ADOM was that the Infinite Dungeon was more of a true variety dungeon. It's just a basic zero-features dungeon that goes on forever and has no permanent floors. My idea is that it'd instead be made up of chunks from EVERY possible dungeon in the rest of the game. Have super fast floors, fire floors, chaos floors, ice floors; put all the work that went into the other dungeons (most of which no player ever sees or bothers with) into making weird random dungeons to gently caress around in.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Exanima would be the ultimate roguelike. With how the combat works, having random dungeons/enemies/weapons would be amazing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There are two types of roguelikes: those where removing permadeath ruins the game, and those where supporting permadeath ruins the game.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

doctorfrog posted:

Support for HJKLYUBN, preferably without my having to rebind anything

This would also #1 on my list because then at least I can try out the game comfortably.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Harminoff posted:

Exanima would be the ultimate roguelike. With how the combat works, having random dungeons/enemies/weapons would be amazing.
HELL yes

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I really liked that concept, but the game felt like a janky bag of beta at all times

I think the basic idea of plumbing the depths of one mega dungeon is really compelling though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

CRAYON posted:

This would also #1 on my list because then at least I can try out the game comfortably.

If a roguelike doesn't have HJKLYUBN support, at least as a selectable option, I just bounce on it nowadays. I cannot be assed to thoughtfully remap the entire control scheme for a game I haven't experienced.