Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I mean, everyone I saw in the scenes after Superman died who was meant to look sad looked really sad, so. Can't argue with results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Well it took almost all day but I finally finished it. Hated the aspect ratio , but really loved the movie. Its just more coherent than Whedon's garbage. Definitely a tonally different movie. Probably one of the better director's cuts out ther with how many change are made in this.

I was hoping you'd come around Holls.

I consume a LOT of old loving media, so I never even noticed the aspect ratio. I do feel for the people that it bugs though.

This is a movie that, if you really do give it a shot, it will reward you.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If this ever gets an imax release I am immediately getting tickets

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
The HBO Max app on my Sony TV is making this unwatchable, the brightness & color tone keeps changing every few seconds during dark scenes. Anyone else experiencing this? Doesn't happen in other streaming apps, and I've gone thru all the obvious settings.

I miss movie theaters. :( Maybe I'll just wait til this gets an IMAX release.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

smoobles posted:

The HBO Max app on my Sony TV is making this unwatchable, the brightness & color tone keeps changing every few seconds during dark scenes. Anyone else experiencing this? Doesn't happen in other streaming apps, and I've gone thru all the obvious settings.

I miss movie theaters. :( Maybe I'll just wait til this gets an IMAX release.

Would they really have played a four hour movie in the theaters?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The Snyder cut is now homelander approved

https://twitter.com/antonystarr/status/1372700265472782341?s=19

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUPhCj8TTQI

This was probably my favorite track out of the whole bunch. Such a good goddamn score in this.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Finished the film.

It made me feel so many different emotions with the story. While there were some flaws (not even a mention of the Flash's origin?) and some segments dragged on, it was still very entertaining.

Junkie XL had a great soundtrack for this.

Now I'm just sad that we might not get to see where the story goes - this was supposed to be the starting point of a trilogy?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

With an intermission, yes.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Just finally saw it.

Some individual things without much spoilers:

Stopped noticing it was 4:3 literally minutes in. I can imagine depending on certain TVs it would be a nightmare but I’m on a 43 inch and I just...forgot about it until I saw posts here.

The film makes so so so much more sense now. The cyborg parts in particular are far more meaningful and well, heartfelt.

Wonder Woman is far more hideously aggressive which fits her comic book persona a lot more. And are much more kinetically impressive horribly violent.

Batman is still a bit useless in a fight but nowhere near as useless as the original.

The music is much better and has a lot of wonderful callbacks but still isn’t anywhere near as good as the zimmer OSTs, which is a shame.

This sets up Flashpoint (and the now defunct sequels) extremely well.

Aquaman is done dirtiest in this - there isn’t that much to him here.

It’s so much more violent.

And I can’t believe I’m saying this...I am fully on board with the revised Leto interpretation of the Joker.

Lastly Amy Adams is an incredibly good actor and she really should’ve had more to do in this. Lois Lane should be a more important character and I’m disappointed she wasn’t used other than as a plot device. Same goes for Martha Kent. Really felt that was too strange.

Honestly for someone who watched the whedon version the best parts are where I thought it would be the same but it turned out differently.

:edit: I watched it on NowTV in the UK and it was far better quality than I expected but at maybe three or four points it was as if the power just cut out to the TV. It went black for a second and then continued on. Did anyone else have this?

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 19, 2021

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I just watched the Diana intro fight of the WC. And it feels like a fast forwarded highlights video. Holy hell, i'll take the slowmo over this.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I mildly disliked MoS and haaaated BvS and originally found Whedon's JL to be mediocre, but fine enough.

The new Snyder cut is absolutely great, I can't believe it. I loved almost everything about it aside from a few things (I think some of the final epilogue scenes were stretching the fan-service boundary into self-indulgent cringe territory). In fact, I scrubbed through some of the Whedon version on my computer and didn't realize that almost every line was different (and WAY worse). It's extremely bad in comparison.

I never thought I'd be a believer in the "release the Synder cut" prophecy, but those crazy cultists were right all along.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 19, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Asteroid Alert posted:

(not even a mention of the Flash's origin?)

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. The very first scene we get with him is his origin. It's a complete mini-narrative that sets up who he is, how his powers work, and what he's like. We didn't need an explanation of how he came in contact with the Speed Force for the first time or whatever.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There was a plan to include an intermission, and it was shot in IMAX so surely somebody in the chain of command of this $70 million dollar remake had a plan to release it in theaters.

I'm super bummed out because I love movies too much to watch this in a bad format, and HBO Max has such a terrible app compared to Netflix or Amazon's. My wife and I just can't enjoy this, had to turn it off after 10 minutes.

The HBO Max app was terrible for Wonder Woman 1984 too, but I had hoped they'd put more work into it in the last 3 months. Oh well.

I can see why Chris Nolan was so pissed off at WB's decision, most TVs make movies look like garbage, and HBO in particular has a poo poo app.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

ungulateman posted:

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. The very first scene we get with him is his origin. It's a complete mini-narrative that sets up who he is, how his powers work, and what he's like. We didn't need an explanation of how he came in contact with the Speed Force for the first time or whatever.

Tbf I’ve never been a comic reader but have read a lot about them and still have no idea how the flash (or any flashes) got their power. I don’t think it’s very important but maybe a hint to it would be nice

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
lol so the kal-el NO line is in both cuts, but the whedon cut is a way worse take and/or reshoot

what on earth was whedon doing?!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Aidan_702 posted:

Tbf I’ve never been a comic reader but have read a lot about them and still have no idea how the flash (or any flashes) got their power. I don’t think it’s very important but maybe a hint to it would be nice

They do hint at it, he was struck by lightning, which is destructive by nature.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Horizon Burning posted:

lol so the kal-el NO line is in both cuts, but the whedon cut is a way worse take and/or reshoot

what on earth was whedon doing?!

The Whedon also had a much lamer looking version of the bit where Superman is seem as a tiny guy hovering in the distance. Instead of just using the existing shot of that, they made a shot that looks similar but crappier. I have no idea what was going through Whedon's head

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just finished it in two chunks

The good:
nice bonus character moments like Alfred does the tea cause he does it best and Bruce and Diana being awkward.

Gore! Wonder woman jumping off justice's sword to go splatter nonces. She's at least as badass as the mall scene from 84.

Steppenwolfs big CGI minion face getting all teary eyed

Cyborgs backstory hit me right in the feels

The bad:
darkseid doesn't have a single scrap of personality and I really dislike his look

Some of the worst lines are still in here. "we're a small group of reactionary terrorists"

Cyborgs dad dying horribly to make the box hot, I just prefer the whedon cut here.

Martha and LL having a heart to heart as one of the only scenes with multiple women and then secretly Martha is a terrible looking mastian manhunter drat this might be worse than the thirsty scene

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Dang, you guys have me pretty excited to see a thing I totally forgot about up until about 15 minutes ago!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
does Diana's lasso compel honesty or literal truth-telling

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Isn't the Whedon cut of Steppenwolf taking the box that he just vworps in and takes the box off the car where it landed and vworps out again, entirely offscreen?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"from my point of view, the jedi are evil!"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Communist Thoughts posted:

The bad:

Martha and LL having a heart to heart as one of the only scenes with multiple women...

yeah. film needed like an island full of women or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

2house2fly posted:

Isn't the Whedon cut of Steppenwolf taking the box that he just vworps in and takes the box off the car where it landed and vworps out again, entirely offscreen?

Yep

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As far as I can tell it’s honesty. If you have the wrong information, you’ll tell that, rather than what factually true.

In the beginning the terrorist lad says “she’s too late” which is what any normal person would believe.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Lmao yeah it just smashes a car, and he come gets it.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

ungulateman posted:

I was just left wondering how he got his powers. I am not well-versed with DC outside of Bats and Supes, so I was left scratching my head. The others, those were easily understandable.

I loved his introductory scene, mind you.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah. film needed like an island full of women or something.

I know it’s somewhat facetious questions but that’s a facetious answer. There really weren’t a lot of women in the film who’s lines of dialogue weren’t “OOUUAAGGG”. Was genuinely annoyed that the scene between Martha and Lois wasn’t actually between them

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: wrong snyder-thread

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Asteroid Alert posted:

I was just left wondering how he got his powers. I am not well-versed with DC outside of Bats and Supes, so I was left scratching my head. The others, those were easily understandable.

I loved his introductory scene, mind you.
Cyborg was the only character to really get an origin story because all the other justice members have solo movies planned or already released. Flash technically still has a planned solo movie.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I think it's fair that some people might be confused about the origins of a few characters. Everyone knows the Trinity at this point, but if you're just kind of casually into comics, I can definitely see people being a bit confused about Flash, Aquaman, Lanterns, etc. I mean, until the Snyderverse hit, lots of people still thought Aquaman was a joke character whose only ability was talking to fish.

I didn't really know much about Flash until the show got me into reading comics, tbh. I'm guessing a lot of people who don't know him would have no clue why his intro scene with the car wreck is important or who the girl was.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 19, 2021

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Can a comic nerd person please tell me what happens with Flash at the end? How did he survive the initial blast?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Rabelais D posted:

Can a comic nerd person please tell me what happens with Flash at the end? How did he survive the initial blast?

Flash has super-speed healing, as well. Basically, the blast wave was coming at him by the time he healed and he was able to start running at the speed of light before it hit. The big glowy thing he was running towards was the essence of the Speed Force and, by extension, the ability to travel through time.

In the larger comics world, this leads to Barry digging himself into bigger and bigger holes because it turns out messing with time has consequences.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

All flash related questions can be answered by “going fast”

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Steppenwolf legitimately looked exactly like one of my cats at several points

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

well why not posted:

Missed opportunity for Snyder to have Flash's suit made out of "goes fast"

e: realtalk loved Flash in this. Like goddamn Snyder gets him. He's always been one of the most ridiculously overpowered characters in DC, and with that comes some great stories

I loved the "gorilla sign language" nod

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 19, 2021

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Axel Serenity posted:

Flash has super-speed healing, as well. Basically, the blast wave was coming at him by the time he healed and he was able to start running at the speed of light before it hit. The big glowy thing he was running towards was the essence of the Speed Force and, by extension, the ability to travel through time.

In the larger comics world, this leads to Barry digging himself into bigger and bigger holes because it turns out messing with time has consequences.

Cool, thanks. But he isn't running at the start, the blast goes kind of past him while he is still standing still? Or is he just standing "still" but actually going super fast? I didn't know about the super healing thing, he was hobbling along for a long time in the tunnel it seemed.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

well why not posted:

And The Flash is by far the most powerful member of the League and broken. Only limited by his own stupidity. Could instantly defeat Superman by simply taking his speed away and making him a statue ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The decision to make Steppenwolf have puppy dog eyes was perfect. He was a monster but he was shaped by the toxic relationship he had with Darkseid, who didn't have puppy dog eyes.