Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think you'll find the S65 actually has a V12 that breaks every 5 feet. :colbert:

It took me half way through that post to realize this is the BMW thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
What color are you going to buy?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

What color are you going to buy?

Sao Paulo Yellow with Yas Marina full interior.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nice. That's a pretty spicy combo. When do they think it'll arrive? (I assume that requires a special order)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They're the press colors for the M4, so it's a readily available combo... but I specifically want the AWD model, which won't be orderable until July for a September delivery :sigh:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Sounds suspiciously like an attempt to delay doing a burnout :jail:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Sounds suspiciously like an attempt to delay doing a burnout :jail:

I did a burnout on the test drive because the sales guy wanted to see how it sounded :colbert:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I hope you sprung for the M Exhaust MP3 Package

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

"Just cut off two cylinders, Hans. Boss says this one only needs to be a V8."

"Ok, I'll cut up the cam shafts too after I slice the block."

"Come on freundlich, you have to work smarter, not harder. Take the long block and just run it through the band saw, and then put it in the car."

You know, even back in the dark days of the early aughts, engineers had access to computers and even designed engines on them! It's amazing what humanity accomplished before instructional YouTube videos.

But seriously, come the gently caress on. The S85 was inspired by BMW Sauber's Formula 1 V10. The S65 was an attempt to leverage an already built engine design to make the M3 competitive on horsepower numbers.

Both engines share
  1. Bore X Stroke
  2. Compression Ratio
  3. Head design (double vanos)
  4. Horsepower/torque per liter
  5. Oiling problems

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Gotta say it's pretty ironic that the people who have garbage taste in BMWs don't actually know jack poo poo about them

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
They made less than 2000 Z4 M Coupes. Does that mean I once owned a bespoke car?

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

They made less than 2000 Z4 M Coupes. Does that mean I once owned a bespoke car?

Maybe the car but definitely not the engine.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

kronix posted:

Maybe the car but definitely not the engine.
Yeah it was the S54 which was basically mass produced. It didn't have anything fancy like a plaque signed by its builder on the engine cover...

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

kronix posted:

You know, even back in the dark days of the early aughts, engineers had access to computers and even designed engines on them! It's amazing what humanity accomplished before instructional YouTube videos.

But seriously, come the gently caress on. The S85 was inspired by BMW Sauber's Formula 1 V10. The S65 was an attempt to leverage an already built engine design to make the M3 competitive on horsepower numbers.

Both engines share
  1. Bore X Stroke
  2. Compression Ratio
  3. Head design (double vanos)
  4. Horsepower/torque per liter
  5. Oiling problems

That doesn’t change anything about my point. The E9x M3 got an engine that no other car had. That is seriously cool. Does it have problems? Of course. In my case, I found one that already had the rod bearings done and I was given the parts for the throttle actuators when those go.

The S54 and S50 were special in their own right and don’t lose luster (in my view) for being used in the Z3 and Z4. 100hp/L was impressive in the early 2000s.

Sure, the new cars are fast and if you like what they’re offering, awesome. But my point is that it seems like the M3 is losing its specialness. The engine is shared with a CUV, they switched to an automatic instead of DCT, and I’ll just say the grill design isn’t my cup of tea.

Is it fast? Sure. Does it feel special? Not to me...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Have you driven one? Because it feels more special to drive than either the C63 or the RS5. And just because the looks aren't your cup of tea, doesn't mean it's less special - if anything, looks wise it's one of the most obviously set apart from the non-m models ever. The exterior is entirely different and the interior can be spec'd to look absolutely insane. The only thing I can say about it that doesn't feel as "special" as I'd want is the sound but it's really hard to be objective about that when I drove a V12 Aston immediately before and after.

Edit: and it's disingenuous to claim the S58 isn't special because it's used in a crossover - it's used in the X3M and X4M, which, like it or not are true M cars. Even Ferrari is making an SUV now.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 19, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the good news is that if you think older cars are better you can buy an older car and if you think newer cars are better you can buy the new one

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
but how does that cater to the 'wanting an old car but new for the price of an old car that they'll totally buy in 2 years off lease' buyer?

probably wouldn't get any sales because 'mud brown' isn't an optional color

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can just say goon, its shorter

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jymmybob posted:

but how does that cater to the 'wanting an old car but new for the price of an old car that they'll totally buy in 2 years off lease' buyer?

probably wouldn't get any sales because 'mud brown' isn't an optional color

Please don't doxx me.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Have you driven one? Because it feels more special to drive than either the C63 or the RS5. And just because the looks aren't your cup of tea, doesn't mean it's less special - if anything, looks wise it's one of the most obviously set apart from the non-m models ever. The exterior is entirely different and the interior can be spec'd to look absolutely insane. The only thing I can say about it that doesn't feel as "special" as I'd want is the sound but it's really hard to be objective about that when I drove a V12 Aston immediately before and after.

Edit: and it's disingenuous to claim the S58 isn't special because it's used in a crossover - it's used in the X3M and X4M, which, like it or not are true M cars. Even Ferrari is making an SUV now.

Let me say I agree with your purchasing decision and am sure you’re going to enjoy the new M3 a lot. I think you put your finger on it, which is that the most distinctive feature of the new M3 is its styling - i.e. it is most important to BMW that M3 buyers are able to show off that they bought one and not a lesser 3-series, even if it is polarizingly ugly vs. the regular. Ultimately the new M3 is a product marketing, not engineering-driven car

So the BMW that made this decision to invest in styling and not a one-off engine etc is different from “heyday” engineering-driven BMW and that is sad, not that it isn’t already obvious that marketing has long since taken over the company. They will no doubt continue to make good cars here and there, but those will be the flickers of a dying ember that will end in the banning of internal combustion (let’s forget the i cars for a sec). Welp that’s my depressing take

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 19, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't wrap my head around the idea that you consider the S55 to be a one-off but not the S58. Both are only used in M cars; the S58 just happens to come in an M car with a lift from the factory. Both engines share a platform with the "regular" inline 6 used in the lower models, and both engines are 3L twin turbo DOHC straight 6.

I would be willing to bet that if the new M3 and M4 had the old grille, you'd magically consider them special somehow, even though they'd be the exact same car.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 19, 2021

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think you should post a burn out in your new M3.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

I can't wrap my head around the idea that you consider the S55 to be a one-off but not the S58. Both are only used in M cars; the S58 just happens to come in an M car with a lift from the factory. Both engines share a platform with the "regular" inline 6 used in the lower models, and both engines are 3L twin turbo DOHC straight 6.

I’m really saying that neither the S55 or the S58 are one-off, that the engineering-led distinctiveness of the M3 peaked with the E92 and is slowly ebbing

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

I think you should post a burn out in your new M3.

I think you should tell BMW to make them faster so I can.

got off on a technicality posted:

I’m really saying that neither the S55 or the S58 are one-off, that the engineering-led distinctiveness of the M3 peaked with the E92 and is slowly ebbing

I guess this makes more sense. I'd rather have the 6 than the 8 though. To me, an inline 6 is a BMW engine and I can get a V8 anywhere (for the time being). 6 engines just sound better to me, but I'm biased.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uhh the regular 3 series has the gross grille too, doesn’t it?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

I would be willing to bet that if the new M3 and M4 had the old grille, you'd magically consider them special somehow, even though they'd be the exact same car.
Quite possible - whether we like it or not the grille has dominated the conversation. That is unquestionably a triumph of marketing. Engineers could never do this

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It does not. The 4 has a worse grille because it's surrounded by chrome but the 3 still has the smaller kidneys.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Data Graham posted:

The regular G80 has a more modest grille

efb

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

got off on a technicality posted:

Ultimately the new M3 is a product marketing, not engineering-driven car

It's amazing to me how many people don't realize that every M3 sedan has had the nose from the coupe.

FWIW, BMW has always been a marketing driven company.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ya i was going to say the only engineering driven car company I can think of is pre-Fiat Lancia and uhhh you can kinda see how well that poo poo worked out

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Oh boy, y'all are gonna love the exhaust of the X8

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh boy, y'all are gonna love the exhaust of the X8

What the hell is going on with that? I've seen the spy shots of a car with the entire exhaust covered up in a very strange way.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Double, twinbarreled, vertical, like on that m3 spy photo from december perhaps?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kronix posted:

It's amazing to me how many people don't realize that every M3 sedan has had the nose from the coupe.
Oh drat I didn’t realize the regular 430 and 440 get the horrendous nose as well

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm kind of annoyed about it because I'd maybe consider leasing a new 440 Grancoupe if not for the nose. Not that that isn't an embarrassing car anyway but hey!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Mud brown would go well with the pig nose actually.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

or piggy pink? oink

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Pink interior obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ahhh, snow's gone, Z4M time