Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hoop Dreams posted:

The amazon scene reminds me a lot of Immortals (2011) also starring Henry Cavill and directed by Tarsem Singh, a class mate of Zack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvc-eDdEw8

You're drat right it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Its Chocolate posted:

the buff ladies who swing the hammers and hold the door :shittypop:

The door has also been held open in your mind, you'll now come out of this enjoying the movie

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bongo Bill posted:

I think it'll be fine to go in unprepared. The idiosyncratic, heterodox interpretations of Batman and Superman from the previous films are pretty much resolved within them, so it's a noticeably more traditional group of Superfriends in this one.

Yeah, I think I had my wife up to speed in like 30 seconds or less.

:j: "Who's that guy in the water?"
:v: "Lex Luthor, he made the monster they just showed killing Superman."
:j: "What's the weird robot thing there with him?"
:v: "They kind of haven't told us yet."
:j: "OK"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Its Chocolate posted:

oh my god he just swung a group of horses and riders around like it was a bag of oranges. this rules

:hellyeah:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Its Chocolate posted:

I'm watching a torrent of this and it's so Epic lol. it starts with Superman's yelp echoing around the whole world in slow mo, including this terrible composite shot of Zuckerberg

Yeah, that part of the sequence definitely wasn't this long when we were first working on it. Originally it was just the first shot that opens the movie, and the wide shot that travels over the bay. The Lois/Batman/Diana cutaways seem to be new additions, and I'm guessing the Luthor shots are as well.

It's likely that since this movie is coming out 5 years after BvS instead of 1 like it was originally scheduled for, those shots were added to remind people who may have forgotten who was all there to see Superman's death, or in Luthor's case, didn't watch the Ultimate Edition.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Lex should watch the Ultimate Edition

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm glad that "we're a small group of reactionary terrorists" was a Snyder line, because its hands down the funniest bit in the entire movie. I have no idea why we needed anti-modern-world nihilists fighting an ancient greek goddess - it felt like one of those moments that was trying really hard to be about something but not actually saying anything coherent. But that line owned!

Also, I think I suck at movies, because I did not get the symbolism with black suit Superman. Like, he's hearing his father twice over, remembering who he is and how he's supposed to be an icon. And then he turns his back on the classic outfit and goes suddenly emo. Even though he's happy and chill now.

I have no idea what either of those scenes were trying to say.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm glad that "we're a small group of reactionary terrorists" was a Snyder line, because its hands down the funniest bit in the entire movie. I have no idea why we needed anti-modern-world nihilists fighting an ancient greek goddess - it felt like one of those moments that was trying really hard to be about something but not actually saying anything coherent. But that line owned!

Also, I think I suck at movies, because I did not get the symbolism with black suit Superman. Like, he's hearing his father twice over, remembering who he is and how he's supposed to be an icon. And then he turns his back on the classic outfit and goes suddenly emo. Even though he's happy and chill now.

You don't suck at movies, I'm still trying to parse what that suit means when it's combined with that scene and I think the intent is a) fundamentally, in the comics after Superman died he came back with that style of suit (and I think that's the most important thing to Snyder, the homage to the history of the character) and b) it's supposed to show that he's fundamentally changed as a character from the guy we saw in Man of Steel and BvS.

The thing is, it's not a sinister look at all (except for in a couple of those red eye shots), it just looks more Kryptonian and exotic. The actual reason for it in the comic was "it looks cool" but they later retconned that to be that it also helps him absorb more solar energy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think part of the symbolism is that black is the color that Kryptonians wore. I think part of the planned arc for Justice League 2 was that since his resurrection he's feeling more like Kal-El the Space Paragon than like Clark Kent the Dude From Earth, and he's got to reconnect to his humanity in order to find the right balance needed to be a proper Superman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm sad that we'll never get a Man of Steel 2 where he starts out wearing the black suit and reverts back to the red-and-blue at the end.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Strom Cuzewon posted:

On Krypton everyone wore black suits. he's identifying more with his Kryptonian heritage. In Snyder's original movie arc the idea was that Clark Kent was "dead" so he was only Kal-El now. His arc over the movies was rediscovering the Clark Kent aspect of himself.

Also, in the comics he wears a black suit after he returns from the dead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm glad that "we're a small group of reactionary terrorists" was a Snyder line, because its hands down the funniest bit in the entire movie.

It's practically a Monty Python line. Dude could have been John Cleese

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can confirm that the black suit does indeed look cool

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
listening to junkie xl's jl soundtrack right now, and i can feel it purify my soul.

gently caress danny elfman's half-assed poo poo lmao

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Equeen posted:

listening to junkie xl's jl soundtrack right now, and i can feel it purify my soul.

gently caress danny elfman's half-assed poo poo lmao

[Ancient Lamentation Music intensifies]

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

Hoop Dreams posted:

The amazon scene reminds me a lot of Immortals (2011) also starring Henry Cavill and directed by Tarsem Singh, a class mate of Zack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvc-eDdEw8

Hell, they ought to give him the reins on a DC movie. I'd be there with bells on.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Neurolimal posted:

[Ancient Lamentation Music intensifies]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkLJebAqUTw&t=120s

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Immortals is 100% worth a watch. Has some pretty incredible sequences.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Plenty of comic book panels are rectangular (in either orientation) so I don't buy this at ALL

While comic panels do come in every shape and size, the comic book itself is standard sized 9x16, designed more vertical than horizontal. I can think of only a few comics which reformatted for the “widescreen” 16x9 format (300, x-force #4, etc)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ruddiger posted:

While comic panels do come in every shape and size, the comic book itself is standard sized 9x16, designed more vertical than horizontal. I can think of only a few comics which reformatted for the “widescreen” 16x9 format (300, x-force #4, etc)

one of Grant Morrison's X-Men annuals was a good one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

feedmyleg posted:

Immortals is 100% worth a watch. Has some pretty incredible sequences.

The Fall is Tarsem's best movie imo. And it's really loving good. Lee Pace :allears:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Whatever happened to him, anyways? Did he stop making movies?

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 19, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Neurolimal posted:

Yes, but Armond White specifically is just a notorious film troll

Although he writes for a terrible outlet, I find his film reviews worth reading for the entertaining curmudgeon opinion rather than cringe lib platitudes.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Whatever happened to gim, anyways? Did he stop making movies?

It looks like he's been working on commercials the past few years, but he also did a shortlived Wizard of Oz series for NBC in 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Immortals is what happened to him.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
the rippling spike armor design the main bad guy has is cool

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
he's goan back to his yewniverse

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Robot Style posted:

It looks like he's been working on commercials the past few years, but he also did a shortlived Wizard of Oz series for NBC in 2017

Which was surprisingly good!

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
"He will see my worth again?" have we got some Hordak pathos going on here?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Mantis42 posted:

Eiko Ishioka his long time art director died a few years ago, and she was credited for a big part of what made his movies interesting.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Aside from just being a straight reference to when Superman wore black for a while after the Death of Superman arc in the comics, his appearance in the black suit is aligned with Jor-El's voiceover about him being a son of Krypton -- he is going to be repelling the invasion not only both an Earthling and a Kryptonian. Or, more in line with the themes of the film, acknowledging that he is who he is because of the love of Jonathan and Martha and of Jor-El and Lara.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 19, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Its Chocolate posted:

*scene immediately cuts to Bruce Wayne using a disposable razor*

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just finished it. Had to watch it in two sittings.

The movie's good. Not my favorite Snyder film but good, aside from the awkwardness of the epilogue.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Manu_V/status/1372997707804073986?s=20

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Its Chocolate posted:

On top of everything else, Darkseid's court is literally the most toxic family environment that ever existed.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

the black of humanity? has Snyder been playing Dark Souls?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Flash is Donatello
Aquaman is Michaelangelo
Cyborg is Rafael
Wonder Woman is Leonardo
Batman is Splinter

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Flash is Donatello
Aquaman is Michaelangelo
Cyborg is Rafael
Wonder Woman is Leonardo
Batman is Splinter

Superman is April O'Neil

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
so is the bad guy's name Steppenwolf or Darkseid or are those both names for the same guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Its Chocolate posted:

so is the bad guy's name Steppenwolf or Darkseid or are those both names for the same guy?

Two names for two different dudes.