Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I might be a little crazy, but I'm pretty sure there was a small musical sting used a couple times in the episode that was a reference to Quackshot?

https://disneynow.com/shows/ducktales-disney-channel/season-03/episode-22-the-last-adventure/vdka22464554
~26:03 here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All this talk about family makes me want a Fast and the Furious crossover.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
DuckTales S3 on Disney+ on 4/30 according to https://film.avclub.com/the-ewok-movies-tartakovskys-clone-wars-and-part-of-t-1846488625 .

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:tviv:

That was a finale alright.

I don't remember when exactly, but during a Ducktales discussion on these forums years ago I expressed the opinion (spoilers for the end of the finale) that if forced to choose between his fortune and his family, Scrooge would choose 100% family with some performative moaning while doing so.
I was wrong:
there was zero moaning.

Honestly I should have seen the way (end of finale) Louie fast talked the Papyrus because that's the theme the shows extols all the time. But the comedic timing between Bradford going "that's dumb" and the Papyrus going "yup, checks out" was :discourse: and a great moment where evil being incapable of comprehending good caused its downfall.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The pacing of the finale was kind of funky I suspect because the writers had to cram in a few more episodes of content than planned in plus some stuff that would have been explored next season. I’d love to see a 2 hour version of this where certain scenes had a bit more room to breathe and some aspects could be explored a bit more in depth.

That said it’s an impressive ending considering how much ground they had to cover and I really enjoyed it. This show deserved way more seasons than we got damnit! :negative:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I can't believe how many sacred cows they were willing and got authorization to slaughter.

The triplets having different personalities?
Della Duck existing on screen? (those three panels at the end of Life and Times don't count and you know it)
(massive loving end of finale spoiler) A DAUGHTER?

That's probably what made the show great. The creators weren't inmates running the asylum; they certainly enjoyed the source material but, and this is important, they also truly believed they could create something that could stand face to face with the giants of the past. Standing on their shoulders perhaps, but not imitating them.
They believed that they could create something on par with Barks and don Rosa, and bless Scrooge's bagpipes they delivered.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically Quack Pack did the whole “triplets have different personalities” thing first but not as well. But yeah, this series was one of if not the best thing to come out of this particular universe in a long time (even surpassing the 1987 original in my opinion).

Hopefully this incarnation of the characters won’t just get swept under the rug after this and wind up popping up in other things. Not sure what to make of the upcoming Darkwing Duck show though since it’s apparently being handled by a completely different team.

Did you link the wrong thing? I see nothing about Ducktales in that article

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 17, 2021

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I'm so happy my earlier prediction of Les Canes Terribles came true and now can only think of Scrooge as Big Boss which means Goldie has to be The Boss.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, it’s weird that Goldie of all people didn’t get any lines in this episode. You’d think with her connection to Scrooge she’d have been more important than just a small cameo.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Larryb posted:

Did you link the wrong thing? I see nothing about Ducktales in that article

https://decider.com/2021/03/16/new-on-disney-plus-april-2021/ isn't what I was looking at before, but same thing!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, it’s weird that Goldie of all people didn’t get any lines in this episode. You’d think with her connection to Scrooge she’d have been more important than just a small cameo.

What would you have had her say and whose lines/time would you have cut to allow her to say it?

On some kinder, better world, Season Three ends with the Duck extended family finding (or perhaps simply finding out out about) May and June during the party/raid on Funso's Fun Zone . Then Season Four does a deep dive into Webby the way the previous seasons focused on one of the triplets. Maybe then there would have been more breathing room for Goldie and other characters that might have felt slighted due to the rushed, packed-full finale.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I'm so happy my earlier prediction of Les Canes Terribles came true and now can only think of Scrooge as Big Boss which means Goldie has to be The Boss.

"Guy with bomb-induced brain injury thinks he's the main character, founds successful international conglomerate." Glomgold is Venom SnakeDuck.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 17, 2021

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Angones posted on his Tumblr that they went into "wrap up mode" as soon as they got a season 3 order, which means that nothing was really "crammed in" to the finale. This was how they decided to pace it out from the start.

The same post also said that a hypothetical fourth season would explore "a new status quo" and do a different storyarc for the Duck family.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Omobono posted:

The triplets having different personalities?

I know it's more of a parody of what the show did, but one of my favourite Don Rosa gag strips is the one where Scrooge realizes Donald actually can tell the triplets apart. Of course Scrooge tries to monetize this and it goes very badly, but the funniest part is how absolutely indignant the triplets get every time someone suggests they're identical.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Everyone posted:

What would you have had her say and whose lines/time would you have cut to allow her to say it?

On some kinder, better world, Season Three ends with the Duck extended family finding (or perhaps simply finding out out about) May and June during the party/raid on Funso's Fun Zone . Then Season Four does a deep dive into Webby the way the previous seasons focused on one of the triplets. Maybe then there would have been more breathing room for Goldie and other characters that might have felt slighted due to the rushed, packed-full finale.

The child thief character who appears in a total of one other episode? BOYD who is in a total of two other episodes? That one duck from the underwater base? There's a whole lot of characters who have far less significance to the McDucks that got actual screentime.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SirSamVimes posted:

That one duck from the underwater base?

I wish Cousin Fethry showed up more.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

I wish Cousin Fethry showed up more.

He shows up all the time! (In the European comics. :v: )

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Libluini posted:

He shows up all the time! (In the European comics. :v: )

Paperoga stories are always a treat here in Italy.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just realized how closely the ottoman empire ending paralleled the actual ending of the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I just realized, they never followed up on the whole Jim Starling/Negaduck plot they set up in season 2.

And the upcoming Darkwing Duck reboot (assuming that’s even still happening) is being handled by a completely different team so there’s a chance they just won’t use any of the material Ducktales set up for them and just start fresh with their own continuity.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Larryb posted:

I just realized, they never followed up on the whole Jim Starling/Negaduck plot they set up in season 2.

And the upcoming Darkwing Duck reboot (assuming that’s even still happening) is being handled by a completely different team so there’s a chance they just won’t use any of the material Ducktales set up for them and just start fresh with their own continuity.

A damned shame. After Ducktales Disney should have just let Agones go hog wild with Disney afternoon reboots.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

He was originally planned to make a reappearance in the Darkwing special, but it had to be cut for time. That was also after all the whole court case and accusations between Jim Cummings and his ex-wife happened, so I wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in his not coming back.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fractalairduct posted:

He was originally planned to make a reappearance in the Darkwing special, but it had to be cut for time. That was also after all the whole court case and accusations between Jim Cummings and his ex-wife happened, so I wouldn't be surprised if that played a role in his not coming back.

That happened before he showed up in the Negaduck appearance, and also turned up to be pretty much nothing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

Between Taurus Bulba, unmasking FOWL, the Gosalynn plot AND the cameos from the other members of the Fearsome Five, it was already overstuffed to begin with without shoving Negaduck in there too. I think they wanted to get around to Negaduck in a hypothetical Season 4, but Jim Cummings' divorce drama and Disney swinging the axe on Season 3 precluded that from happening.

MonsterEnvy posted:

That happened before he showed up in the Negaduck appearance, and also turned up to be pretty much nothing.

Season 3 was still in production (and already cancelled, beyond public knowledge) while that was boiling over and coming to its end, if I recall correctly, so by the time all the facts were laid out it was too late to change anything. Who knows, maybe they'll wrap things up in This Duckburg Life, but I doubt it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 20, 2021

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So uh, Scrooge is Big Boss and Webby is Solid Snake eh? Is Goldie Eva? Glomgold is Skullface obviously. Over the top theatrical villain who is just pathetic and kinda dumb.

Beaks is Hot Coldman actually. Stole technology to get into the glory and prestige.

gently caress I am spending too much time on Metal Gear Duck.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bunnyofdoom posted:

So uh, Scrooge is Big Boss and Webby is Solid Snake eh? Is Goldie Eva? Glomgold is Skullface obviously. Over the top theatrical villain who is just pathetic and kinda dumb.
Glomgold is Venom Snake. He's brainwashed himself into being basically a new person, all in an attempt to take Scrooge's place.

(spoiler for Metal Gear Solid 5 and Ducktales both)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Robot Hobo posted:

(spoiler for Metal Gear Solid 5 and Ducktales both)

A rare sentence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Watching the finale, will catch up on the thread later, but I totally called Bradford being an older, villainous take on Huey, being a Junior Woodchuck being just icing on the cake.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Confession time: Part of me half expected Bradford to straight up win by changing the world to be more mundane like our own (all his minions would have been affected by this which would eliminate FOWL in the process). Scrooge would have been okay with it because nobody died and "family is the ultimate adventure" or whatnot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also, on Bradford's backstory... he's basically a self-aware Rusty Venture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nameless Pete posted:

Webby is Solid Snake to Scrooge's Big Boss.

Also, late and probably beaten, but it's absolutely more X-23 to Wolverine.

Also, on an earlier poster: They kinda DID follow up on Don Karnage surviving with a part of the Stone of What-Was, it seems implied he basically used it as his bargaining chip to get into FOWL, given it was apparently key to creating May and June.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 22, 2021

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

readingatwork posted:

Confession time: Part of me half expected Bradford to straight up win by changing the world to be more mundane like our own (all his minions would have been affected by this which would eliminate FOWL in the process). Scrooge would have been okay with it because nobody died and "family is the ultimate adventure" or whatnot.
You thought the bad guy in the Disney cartoon was actually going to defeat Santa Claus?

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 22, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Quite interesting what they did with Bradford- staying true to himself to the very end, for better or worse. I think I was right in that he's a reflection of Huey's worst impulses and attempt to bend the world into a shape that makes sense to him rather than accepting it for what it is. Also seems ironic that his offered deal to Scrooge, to have a quiet, peaceful life with his family so long as he never does anything adventurous again, is probably doing him a huge favour as far as Bradford is concerned, given his backstory of being dragged along on adventures he didn't enjoy and wasn't any good at. Come to think of it, strikes me as something that comes up with Donald, who is one character who actively avoids adventure and Bradford would theoretically sympathise with... but I suppose that just goes to show how far gone Bradford is when it's Donald who's first on the chopping block after his own minions. And if anything, his ultimate fate being turned into Magica's pet- maybe a replacement for her own long-lost brother- seems downright merciful, given he had nowhere left to go and no allies left having thoroughly betrayed FOWL and Scrooge. He begged for mercy, and he got probably the best he could hope for given the circumstances.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Losing sentience feels like a relief in a world gone mad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Anyone got the last "Awww phooey"? And who said it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh no the Sunchaser!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Oh no the Cloudslayer!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Finally got a chance to sit down and watch the final episode, I loved it.

I like how Bradford's plan is "I'm going to catalogue dangerous mystical artifacts so they can be studied in a safe place" which sounds super reasonable and in fact genuinely heroic, and then you learn that the rest of the plan includes "-and also I'm going to murder anyone in the world I deem too dangerous. This includes people who only use their powers for good. Like, you know Santa Claus? I'm going to straight up execute that jolly bastard. Oh, and I'm going to murder a bunch of kids too." Really good example of a person coming up with good idea, and then taking it way too far to the point of super villainy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The climax isn't subtle about Bradford having descended into cartoon supervillainy despite constantly denying it. Black Heron outright dying with a smile on her beak because she succeeded in what she'd been doing for over half a century- turning Bradford into the supervillain she thought he always had the potential to be. The entire history of FOWL is implied to have been a back and forth between the two of them, but while Bradford may have succeeded in gaining power, Black Heron ultimately influenced his way of thinking and acting- and him disposing of her is the kind of thing she approves of.

Actually, it puts a lot of Black Heron's activities in a new light, considering. Deliberately bungling the rescue by showing up in a FOWL-branded helicopter basically pushed Bradford into giving up the charade and accelerating his plans...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, late and probably beaten, but it's absolutely more X-23 to Wolverine.

Also, on an earlier poster: They kinda DID follow up on Don Karnage surviving with a part of the Stone of What-Was, it seems implied he basically used it as his bargaining chip to get into FOWL, given it was apparently key to creating May and June.

The problem with that is Laura is a doubled-X clone of Logan (who's XY), which is why she's female. Of course, in ducks, like in other birds, the MALE is homomorphic for the sex chromosome and the female is heteromorphic! So where did her W chromosome come from? Wait.. W for Webby?