Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought bronze was much ductile than iron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought bronze was much ductile than iron?

I think the term I should have used is malleability. Bronze has a tendency to work harden when cold and shatters easily. It has to be annealed constantly when being formed to keep it from cracking. Iron is much better in that regard.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Iron is also much better when fighting leprechauns, fairies, and the like.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Question about the homeless in the ancient world. My understanding is that for a long, long time, walled cities were the exclusive residence of the citizenry and elite. How was homelessness handled, were they alllowed to remain within the walls or cast out with the general populace? Think like Athens during Pericles.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't know about Athens but I read that in Rome, before the grain dole, homeless people wither moved into the countryside looking for opportunities or died fast. So there wasn't a large homeless population within the city limits.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

CrypticFox posted:

There is an excellent book about Ptolemaic and Roman Alexandria called Alexandria Rediscovered. Its a British Museum publication with lots of big pictures, so it is a little bit pricey, but a lot of the images are pretty spectacular. It's not particularly focused on the Late Republican era, but it certainly discusses that time period.

I poked around a bit more for anything else that could more directly answer your question, but there doesn't seem to much in English about that subject. Finding stuff on cities outside of Rome and its vicinity, Egypt, and maybe Jerusalem/Judea from that time period will be difficult, since there is a major lack of written sources coming out of other places in the Roman world in the late republic. There is probably some archaeological stuff out there about this topic, but a lot of that will not be in English.

Thank you! This seems like a good starting point, given that my ulterior motive is to run a role-playing game set in a fictional second-string city, in a fictionalized Roman imperial holding. The roman stuff is partly set dressing but I think to have it work as set dressing it needs a lot of the functional components.

Deteriorata posted:

Iron is less dense than bronze, so you get the same protection for less weight or more protection for the same weight.

While iron is less dense, I'm not sure it's strong enough for the rest of this statement to hold true. I spent some time looking into this and the hardness and tensile strength numbers I saw for different bronzes were pretty impressive.

I don't know the chemical composition for bronze armour, so it might have been mixed with a significant quantity of lead or something, which I know was done in medieval ewers and things, but the stats I saw for phosphor bronze showed it to be something like 1.5 times as good in tension and only like 1/6th denser, and equally hard.

Deteriorata posted:

I think the term I should have used is malleability. Bronze has a tendency to work harden when cold and shatters easily. It has to be annealed constantly when being formed to keep it from cracking. Iron is much better in that regard.

This is something I was curious about. I work with wrought iron most days, and its easy working properties are part of why even in the modern day a lot of blacksmiths have a stash of it somewhere in the shop. If bronze is tricky to forge it would be a less desirable candidate for armour, since getting to the necessary thinness of plate is not something easily done by casting.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

What did the black sea greeks do for a living?

They also trade slaves, and raid for slaves

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Thank you! This seems like a good starting point, given that my ulterior motive is to run a role-playing game set in a fictional second-string city, in a fictionalized Roman imperial holding. The roman stuff is partly set dressing but I think to have it work as set dressing it needs a lot of the functional components.

If that's what you are looking for, I'd also recommend looking into Pompeii. Due to the city's unique level of preservation, we have a fantastic amount of information on what life was like in Pompeii in the 70s AD. In fact a lot of our knowledge of urban social life in the Roman world comes from Pompeii, and the not the city of Rome. There are many things that are preserved in Pompeii and nowhere else that shine light on daily life in Roman cities, like street graffiti, advertisements for gladiator games, brothel wall paintings, and restaurant decorations. I didn't mention it initially, since you won't find much specifically about Republican era Pompeii, but culturally and socially, things didn't shift that dramatically in Italy between the end of the Republic and the destruction of Pompeii. If you want to know what life was like in a second-string city in the Roman world, Pompeii is the best resource we have.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mycomancy posted:

Iron is also much better when fighting leprechauns, fairies, and the like.

Why is that, anyway? Where did this folk tale weakness to iron come from, as well as silver for vampires and werewolves?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Fuschia tude posted:

Why is that, anyway? Where did this folk tale weakness to iron come from, as well as silver for vampires and werewolves?

folk tales were advertisements for iron

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You could never get enough iron the stuff sells itself. Don't need any extra marketing when it cuts your food, chops your trees, and kills your enemies.

No reason why it's not just regular mythmaking, the stuff keeps away not only regular physical enemies, but also the magical enemies that make your peasant life miserable.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

20 Blunts posted:

folk tales were advertisements for iron

Big Iron is trying to keep the peasants down by forci g them to keep iron nails in their pocket which don't even keep away the Fair Folk! Wake up sheeple! For more information look at the message I scratched into Seamus's house.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I would bet that a lot of the mythical properties of iron weapons come from storytellers presenting the idea that granddad's old iron sword is better than our newfangled steel one. It's the rarity that is getting invoked, much like how expensive silver weapons were associated with similar mythical powers.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Kaal posted:

I would bet that a lot of the mythical properties of iron weapons come from storytellers presenting the idea that granddad's old iron sword is better than our newfangled steel one. It's the rarity that is getting invoked, much like how expensive silver weapons were associated with similar mythical powers.

Because theres always some goofy exception somewhere, I can't say "never", but iron swords aren't something that have a noticeable history. Iron is too soft and not flexible enough to make a sword that's good for more than one blow.

Additionally, smelted iron and hardened steel show up in the archaeological record at basically the same time because the earliest furnaces produce both during a smelt, so there's really no time when one metal would be "newfangled" unless you want to consider meteoric iron which is exceedingly rare.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasn’t it Pure Iron not just some degraded iron for making weapons? Like it took effort to refine and get the impurities out so by that effort it made it “special”.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Iron and Steel are fundamentally the same thing, it's all Iron, with different quantities of Carbon in it, as part of the manufacturing process as the iron oxide precursor material is reduced of its oxygen. And that iron originally got that oxygen because planet Earth is an oxidizing environment. It's just what we call Iron is either the stuff with way too much carbon in it, or the stuff with too little carbon.

Steel is the perfect goldilocks version of Iron, just the right amount of carbon, which makes it physically superior to the other forms of iron.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Iron is representative of technology and the ownership humanity is now exerting over the wild places.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The Lone Badger posted:

Iron is representative of technology and the ownership humanity is now exerting over the wild places.

and vampires and werewolves were connected with the moon and night, and silver was moon's metal

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

Imagine never knowing any other light source than astral objects and open fire, and then seeing a red hot blade glow for the first time. Blacksmiths were feared and venerated and are huge in mythology: https://workingtheflame.com/mythical-blacksmiths/

Metals seem so amazing and impossible if you mostly know about wood and rocks, and a typical mythological construct is to use cunning and a magic bullet to kill an otherwise impervious monster.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

I would guess that it originated before iron smelting was known and the only source of it was meteorites. It was considered a magical, heaven-sent miracle.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Wasn’t it Pure Iron not just some degraded iron for making weapons? Like it took effort to refine and get the impurities out so by that effort it made it “special”.

All wrought iron goes through a refining process, though the level of refining varied depending on intended use, so puddled iron (in use in later periods) was cleaner than a piece that had just come out of a bloom smelt, to look at the extreme ends of the scale. Pure iron is just as soft as wrought iron but less prone to work hardening, which for practical purposes makes it even easier to plastically deform. It would be very poor material for edged weapons or tools.

Interestingly, this impression that purified iron is used for steel is something you see in historical sources. Vanoccio Biringuccio in his treatise De la Pirotechnia, for example, describes steel as a purified form of iron, and I reckon this idea is much older than the 16th century. They just didn't understand the chemistry at the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don Gato posted:

Big Iron is trying to keep the peasants down by forci g them to keep iron nails in their pocket which don't even keep away the Fair Folk! Wake up sheeple! For more information look at the message I scratched into Seamus's house.

Please listen to this documentary to learn more about Big Iron. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzICMIu5zFY

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Please listen to this documentary to learn more about Big Iron. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzICMIu5zFY

There's also this documentary about that documentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUPjArxfGLo

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

All the basic instruments of economics are way older than people realize. Check out hammurabi's code for instance.

100] . . . interest for the money, as much as he has received, he shall give a note therefor, and on the day, when they settle, pay to the merchant.

[101] If there are no mercantile arrangements in the place whither he went, he shall leave the entire amount of money which he received with the broker to give to the merchant.

[102] If a merchant entrust money to an agent (broker) for some investment, and the broker suffer a loss in the place to which he goes, he shall make good the capital to the merchant.

[103] If, while on the journey, an enemy take away from him anything that he had, the broker shall swear by God and be free of obligation.

[104] If a merchant give an agent corn, wool, oil, or any other goods to transport, the agent shall give a receipt for the amount, and compensate the merchant therefor. Then he shall obtain a receipt form the merchant for the money that he gives the merchant.

[105] If the agent is careless, and does not take a receipt for the money which he gave the merchant, he can not consider the unreceipted money as his own.

[106] If the agent accept money from the merchant, but have a quarrel with the merchant (denying the receipt), then shall the merchant swear before God and witnesses that he has given this money to the agent, and the agent shall pay him three times the sum.

[107] If the merchant cheat the agent, in that as the latter has returned to him all that had been given him, but the merchant denies the receipt of what had been returned to him, then shall this agent convict the merchant before God and the judges, and if he still deny receiving what the agent had given him shall pay six times the sum to the agent.

There was a Sumerian king who limited interest rates (20% for loans in silver, 25% for loans in grain) and also put a cap on how long you could force a delinquent debtor and his family into debt slavery (3 years). Another king put a stop to certain business practices as well; he specifically forbade using thugs to beat someone until they agreed to sell to you, which indicates that that may have been a problem at some point.

Also debt and farming go together like manure and flies. There's a continual cycle of "poor farmer borrows from rich farmer and promises to pay back after the harvest -> harvest is bad -> poor farmer has land seized and is now homeless and desperate" that plays out in many societies.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One of the conflicts of the orders in Rome had as one of the central demands of the plebes a complete ban on debt that used the enslavement of the debtor as collateral

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

One of the conflicts of the orders in Rome had as one of the central demands of the plebes a complete ban on debt that used the enslavement of the debtor as collateral

Yeah, but they still could seize your land and send you into poverty while buying cheap Gaulish slaves to do the work.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Imagine being a wise and smart entrepreneur who ended up oppressed by BIG KING for saying that forcing people to buy from you by beating them up is somehow "unfair and immoral".

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ChaseSP posted:

Imagine being a wise and smart entrepreneur who ended up oppressed by BIG KING for saying that forcing people to buy from you by beating them up is somehow "unfair and immoral".

But enough about Silicon Valley management practices.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Babylonian Shopkeeper DESTROYS Hammurabi with Facts and Reason

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ChaseSP posted:

I feel like this is why the king and the commoners often ended up sort of on the same side in a lot of historical situations: They had a common enemy in the loving nobility.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jazerus posted:

Babylonian Shopkeeper DESTROYS Hammurabi with Facts and Reason

Sequel video: Hammurabi KILLS Shopkeeper with Soldiers and Weapons

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
/\LoL

Deteriorata posted:

Iron is less dense than bronze, so you get the same protection for less weight or more protection for the same weight. It's also more ductile, so it will take a blow and deform whereas bronze will tend to break. Thus you have better protection from repeated blows in battle.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This is something I was curious about. I work with wrought iron most days, and its easy working properties are part of why even in the modern day a lot of blacksmiths have a stash of it somewhere in the shop. If bronze is tricky to forge it would be a less desirable candidate for armour, since getting to the necessary thinness of plate is not something easily done by casting.

The article fishfood posted said Phillip's iron armour was iirc 5mm thick, twice as thick as comparable bronze armours, due to manufacturing difficulties.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

ChaseSP posted:

I want to know more about Sumerian protection rackets.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kassad posted:

Hey, that's a pretty nice ziggurat you have there. It's be a SHAME if something happened to defile it...

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nessus posted:

I feel like this is why the king and the commoners often ended up sort of on the same side in a lot of historical situations: They had a common enemy in the loving nobility.

A noble wouldn't be caught dead "keeping a shop" or "engaging in commerce" or "trading"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fuschia tude posted:

A noble wouldn't be caught dead "keeping a shop" or "engaging in commerce" or "trading"

depends on the era and country

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The fall of civilizations pod on Sumeria is good if you haven’t already heard it

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kassad posted:

quote:

The... administrators no longer plunder the orchards of the poor. When a high quality rear end is born to a shublugal, and his foreman says to him, "I want to buy it from you"; whether he lets him buy it from him and says to him "Pay me the price I want!," or whether he does not let him buy it from him, the foreman must not strike at him in anger.
When the house of an aristocrat adjoins the house of a shublugal, and the aristocrat says to him, "I want to buy it from you"; whether he lets him buy it from him, having said to him, "Pay me the price I want! My house is a large container—fill it with barley for me!," or whether he does not let him buy it from him, that aristocrat must not strike at him in anger.

From the recovered tablets.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sullat posted:

From the recovered tablets.

I'm hopping mad irl right now

E: I have no peace but I cannot strike a shublugal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Silver is a very effective antiseptic. Also smiths was almost considered magicians (there's lot of mythological smiths).