Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

binge crotching posted:

I feel like they should make it so that they have to take at least one corp specific one, but the other two can be a mix of regular and corp specific.
I think Spiritualists should have a bunch of Religion civics they have to pick one of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vengarr posted:

Missile spam was insanely broken in earlier versions of the game, so not expanding them is likely a deliberate choice. The AI couldn’t or wouldn’t lean into PD ships hard enough to counter you.

Boo, I'm trying to play as show accurate Expanse Mars and so just kinetic weapons, and railguns, gauss cannons and missiles/torps fit perfectly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
One thing I really miss about the very beginning of the game was how the various methods of interstellar propulsion and focusing on a specific weapons system and propulsion techs actually made other cultures seem alien (I also miss playing gate civilizations, gently caress yo chokepoints). I mean, I get why they dropped it and there's nothing stopping me from narratively gimping myself by limiting my weapons loadout by personal RP, but I do miss it.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You can shoot the pillars in the key systems.

That absolutely would not have occurred to me. Thanks!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

twistedmentat posted:

Boo, I'm trying to play as show accurate Expanse Mars and so just kinetic weapons, and railguns, gauss cannons and missiles/torps fit perfectly.

Protomolecule is literal magic and explains every other Stellaris technology.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One thing I really miss about the very beginning of the game was how the various methods of interstellar propulsion and focusing on a specific weapons system and propulsion techs actually made other cultures seem alien (I also miss playing gate civilizations, gently caress yo chokepoints). I mean, I get why they dropped it and there's nothing stopping me from narratively gimping myself by limiting my weapons loadout by personal RP, but I do miss it.

One of my favorite space strategy games was Sword of the Stars (the first one, I never played the second one). In that game, there were like six or seven races and they all had unique interstellar propulsion mechanics, and that was what made them interesting to me. There was a race that had no FTL at all, just slowboating between stars and building gates. There was a race that used the star network thing we have in Stellaris now. There was a race that drilled their own star network lanes. There was a race that could move wherever they want at a slower pace. There was a race that could move faster in large groups. Anyway, this excited me about the first release of Stellaris, I liked that aspect and I liked it in Stellaris.

What we have now might be good for your average RTS game to encourage chokepoints or whatever, but it detracts from the uniqueness of each race IMO. I wish instead of giving up on this concept they'd tried to balance it and get the AI to comprehend it, such that it could exist in the game and provide compelling gameplay.

E: Also I could give two shits about this "become the crisis" crap. I'm giddy as hell that they are finally adding espionage...and I kind of wish the entire DLC was dedicated to espionage. It sounds like in their pre-release QA testing they've watered down the espionage mechanics they talked about in the dev diaries, so I'm a little concerned there. Has there been any mention of espionage-related origins or civics? I really want some races to just have a natural sneakiness.

Arsonide fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 21, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Arsonide posted:

One of my favorite space strategy games was Sword of the Stars (the first one, I never played the second one). In that game, there were like six or seven races and they all had unique interstellar propulsion mechanics, and that was what made them interesting to me. There was a race that had no FTL at all, just slowboating between stars and building gates. There was a race that used the star network thing we have in Stellaris now. There was a race that drilled their own star network lanes. There was a race that could move wherever they want at a slower pace. There was a race that could move faster in large groups. Anyway, this excited me about the first release of Stellaris, I liked that aspect and I liked it in Stellaris.

I liked - was it the space dolphins? They moved in a long series of tiny teleportations, stuttering across the stars.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Just reinstalled this after many years away, and I just got my rear end kicked me some extremely bullshit Awakened Fallen Empire AI. I had enough fleets strength to go toe-to-toe with them, and a bunch of gateways constructed to give me some more maneuverability, but I was not prepared for literally 50 2k power mini fleets spreading all over my territory and taking out my outposts. I couldn't catch up with enough of them, and they never bothered actually fighting me or defending anything. I have no idea how I'll ever be able to chase down their tiny fleets, even if I took out most of their 100k power titan fleets. What a wet fart of a way to hit the endgame.

Is there anything I can do to corral them and actually have them engage me? Or do I just need to take their starbases so they can't keep replacing their in fleets?

edit: also, is a fallen empire awakening one of the endgame crises? Or will the Tyranids or Protoss eventually invade as well?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Deuce posted:

Protomolecule is literal magic and explains every other Stellaris technology.

Protomolcule is an event in the game too.

I wonder what mod caused my homeworld to turn into a volcanic wasteland early in the game.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Infinite Karma posted:

Just reinstalled this after many years away, and I just got my rear end kicked me some extremely bullshit Awakened Fallen Empire AI. I had enough fleets strength to go toe-to-toe with them, and a bunch of gateways constructed to give me some more maneuverability, but I was not prepared for literally 50 2k power mini fleets spreading all over my territory and taking out my outposts. I couldn't catch up with enough of them, and they never bothered actually fighting me or defending anything. I have no idea how I'll ever be able to chase down their tiny fleets, even if I took out most of their 100k power titan fleets. What a wet fart of a way to hit the endgame.

Is there anything I can do to corral them and actually have them engage me? Or do I just need to take their starbases so they can't keep replacing their in fleets?

How did they get into your territory in the first place? I don't have any advice about how to deal with so many small fleets, but the general idea is to prevent this by forcing enemy fleets to go through a few well-defended choke points at your borders. Or maybe internal choke points, if a war has resulted in messy borders with a few systems that aren't really crucial to you.

I don't know how useful that information is, since I prefer map layouts that are better suited to setting up defensible border systems: 0.25 wormhole density and 0.75 hyperlane density -- but the general principle still applies.

Infinite Karma posted:

edit: also, is a fallen empire awakening one of the endgame crises? Or will the Tyranids or Protoss eventually invade as well?

Not a crisis -- fallen empire awakening is a normal thing that happens during the endgame.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Lysidas posted:

How did they get into your territory in the first place? I don't have any advice about how to deal with so many small fleets, but the general idea is to prevent this by forcing enemy fleets to go through a few well-defended choke points at your borders. Or maybe internal choke points, if a war has resulted in messy borders with a few systems that aren't really crucial to you.

I don't know how useful that information is, since I prefer map layouts that are better suited to setting up defensible border systems: 0.25 wormhole density and 0.75 hyperlane density -- but the general principle still applies.

Not a crisis -- fallen empire awakening is a normal thing that happens during the endgame.

There were like 6 ways into my territory, and they had about 500k in fleet strength, no amount of surrounding them ahead of time was feasible. I just used whatever the defaults were as far as hyperlanes and wormholes.

I guess I'll have to build some badass citadels with lots of guns at some choke points in the interrim. I'm not sure I'll be able to, this game could be a lost cause.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arsonide posted:

What we have now might be good for your average RTS game to encourage chokepoints or whatever, but it detracts from the uniqueness of each race IMO. I wish instead of giving up on this concept they'd tried to balance it and get the AI to comprehend it, such that it could exist in the game and provide compelling gameplay.

E: Also I could give two shits about this "become the crisis" crap. I'm giddy as hell that they are finally adding espionage...and I kind of wish the entire DLC was dedicated to espionage. It sounds like in their pre-release QA testing they've watered down the espionage mechanics they talked about in the dev diaries, so I'm a little concerned there. Has there been any mention of espionage-related origins or civics? I really want some races to just have a natural sneakiness.
The multiple drive types worked in SotS1 for a bunch of interlocking reasons, and the big one was because they were part of a package deal. Tarka Warp didn't have to be exactly as good as Human Nodespace because they had the rest of the faction to pay around with aswell. Have an old effortpost I did about Hivers:

Splicer posted:

Hivers have slowboat ftl that's replaced by jumpgates when they get a toehold. This means by the time a fleet gets to an enemy planet it's going to be a few upgrade cycles behind. To compensate, hivers are heavy on missiles and kinetic weapons, which have a large amount of passive upgrades available, meaning you can somewhat tech up en route. Since the initial force cares most about surviving the initial gate drop to jump in the main fleet they also have the tankiest ships. The missiles also come in here, since their opponents need to balance enough PD to avoid being salvoed to death at long range and having enough weapons to destroy the gate in time when you get there. The gate deploys at the edge of unfriendly systems, protecting it from planetary defences and increasing survivability, and so hivers have the fastest straight-line in-combat movement and the longest range weapons to get shooting at the planet faster (missiles again).

The jump gate network makes it really easy to deploy hiver defensive fleets quickly, but many of the strengths that mitigate the downside of their offense also mitigate the upsides of their defence: PD hard counters missiles, the large mass of their tankiness gives them poor maneuverability, and their straight line speed is not useful defensively (the gate spawns adjacent to friendly planets). They also have some of the worst research speeds, meaning the ships they're defending with will progressively get worse than recently built enemy ships.

At about the point in the game where these disadvantages outweigh the benefits of gates the hivers finally get their top tier gate tech: slingshotting fleets adjacent to enemy systems. They're underteched, but can deploy their most recent ship designs almost instantly. They're hard-counterable, but appear too fast to counter. Their gates are fragile, but they don't need end to end deployment any more. It switches from their faction attributes complementing their FTL type to their FTL type complementing their faction attributes.
So how SotS1 made the multiple FTL types work is pretty much in direct opposition to the Stellaris build your own empire model. You could maybe get a similar effect by going back to the "pick an FTL type and a weapon type" thing, but have those two choices generate a mostly fixed tech tree instead of the current card system, but having them be a thing you just free pick between in isolation, Stellaris sadly doesn't have the levers to handle that.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 21, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wish it was clearer why your pops were unhappy. 1% crime shouldn't be causing 15 pops to be unhappy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

twistedmentat posted:

I wish it was clearer why your pops were unhappy. 1% crime shouldn't be causing 15 pops to be unhappy.
Hiver (lol autocorrect, hover)over the pop it will tell you exactly why they are unhappy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Splicer posted:

Hiver (lol autocorrect, hover)over the pop it will tell you exactly why they are unhappy.

On which screen?

Okay, now a giant skull enemy appeared and is now rampaging through my empire. It must be that LEX mod that i installed. Its barely 75 years into the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Infinite Karma posted:

There were like 6 ways into my territory, and they had about 500k in fleet strength, no amount of surrounding them ahead of time was feasible. I just used whatever the defaults were as far as hyperlanes and wormholes.

I guess I'll have to build some badass citadels with lots of guns at some choke points in the interrim. I'm not sure I'll be able to, this game could be a lost cause.

Don't you have gates and jump drives? Normally by end game, I can just keep 2-3 fleets on jump duty to clean up smaller fleets while the rest keep together to smash enemy main fleets. Also alternatively, as wars against Awakened Empires are like total wars, just siege and occupy their planets. This should destroy their empire and make any fleets left disappear.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Jump Drives can teleport you like that? No wonder they seemed lovely I just thought they were a faster cooldown warp drive with how the game works now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Infinite Karma posted:

You don't want static defenses, you want fleets. Choke points are a sword that cuts both ways. Wherever they are now, figure out where the next choke point is, get your fleets there, then start sweeping them back. If they're sending dinky 2k target practice at you, build 5k and go hunting. You've got a star map; use it.

Choke points are really key strategy and this is a good time to learn that lesson. You should have had your main fleets parked at stations at each entry point into your territory. Once you get Gateways, you can build one in each fleet system, and that way you keep a deterrent everywhere while being able to concentrate your forces if someone decides to start some poo poo.

Infinite Karma posted:

Jump Drives can teleport you like that? No wonder they seemed lovely I just thought they were a faster cooldown warp drive with how the game works now.
There'll be a dotted line circle surrounding any Jump Drive-equipped ship. That's your jump radius. Jump drives let you travel based on physical space rather than hyperlanes, so if you've got to get to some system that's close but has a 10-system detour to get there because that's how the lanes shook out, you can just jump over. That said, while jump drive is on cooldown your fleet power is severely lessened, so you don't want to jump right into danger unless you can take that hit.

Gateways treat any other friendly Gateway as though they occupy the same point in space. They teleport you.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 21, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Gateways treat any other friendly Gateway as though they occupy the same point in space. They teleport you.

This even works with gateways from allied space nations. E.g. if you're in trouble and one or more of your allies in a war has extensive gate networks of their own, they'll suddenly move fleets through they gates and out of yours, flooding your space with lots of fleets. Having allies can be a good way to clean up enemy tiny fleet spam, too!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Don't forget about wormholes, the AI can and will exploit them if they have the chance.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Don't forget about wormholes, the AI can and will exploit them if they have the chance.
That's where you want your static defenses. loving wormholes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CapnAndy posted:

That's where you want your static defenses. loving wormholes.
The lack of being able to turn off wormholes means I usually set gateways to 2.5x or so and wormholes to .5. loving wormholes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

2x wormholes 3x gateways forever

ships move too slow for me to not want a lot of connectivity to other parts of the galaxy. the unclosable nature of wormholes is also something you can exploit, not just the AI

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

CapnAndy posted:

You don't want static defenses, you want fleets. Choke points are a sword that cuts both ways. Wherever they are now, figure out where the next choke point is, get your fleets there, then start sweeping them back. If they're sending dinky 2k target practice at you, build 5k and go hunting. You've got a star map; use it.

Choke points are really key strategy and this is a good time to learn that lesson. You should have had your main fleets parked at stations at each entry point into your territory. Once you get Gateways, you can build one in each fleet system, and that way you keep a deterrent everywhere while being able to concentrate your forces if someone decides to start some poo poo.
There'll be a dotted line circle surrounding any Jump Drive-equipped ship. That's your jump radius. Jump drives let you travel based on physical space rather than hyperlanes, so if you've got to get to some system that's close but has a 10-system detour to get there because that's how the lanes shook out, you can just jump over. That said, while jump drive is on cooldown your fleet power is severely lessened, so you don't want to jump right into danger unless you can take that hit.

To clarify, I was on offense. I'm playing the evil machine army out to purge the galaxy of sentient life, and the fallen empire had more "I win" points because of the stupid tech boosts, so I was gonna lose if I didn't take them out. As soon as I declared war, every single one of their fleets left their home space and scattered all over the place, and my fleets weren't big enough to beat them if I split up. By the time I realized that I had to do a different strategy than even the other fallen empires I took out, it was too late. It might just be unwinnable at this point, it'll take too long to rebuild and refit, unless they just never build more fleets and the ones I wiped out were a one time thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

Megacorp Civics really could use a touchup. There's maybe, 3 good ones and the rest are meh.

I'm really hoping that the limited building slots will mean being a syndicate is less rear end against AIs who make all their worlds a police state.

E: And maybe the espionage stuff will let me blow up police stations

Leal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 21, 2021

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Infinite Karma posted:

To clarify, I was on offense. I'm playing the evil machine army out to purge the galaxy of sentient life, and the fallen empire had more "I win" points because of the stupid tech boosts, so I was gonna lose if I didn't take them out. As soon as I declared war, every single one of their fleets left their home space and scattered all over the place, and my fleets weren't big enough to beat them if I split up. By the time I realized that I had to do a different strategy than even the other fallen empires I took out, it was too late. It might just be unwinnable at this point, it'll take too long to rebuild and refit, unless they just never build more fleets and the ones I wiped out were a one time thing.

Awakened Empires do get a giant pile of fleets as soon as they awaken, so if you blew up most of those, they need to rebuild just like you.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Guilli's Planet Modifiers and Features was just update with tons of improvements and fixes :3
*shameless self plug*

Patch notes

I also launched/forwarded a Stellaris Mod Tag Overhaul Proposal for stellaris ;3. It includes a way to filter out-of-date mods Hopefully devs have some time for it.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

I can never understand why people want fundamentally different travel mechanics for different races in space games. They all exist in the same fictional universe. They all follow the same fictional rules. Now somewhy each and every race had a blindspot to different 90% of the laws of the universe and understanding of 10% that all others missed? That is such BS I could never RP around that. It is the kind of 'magic' that is understandable in a fantasy setting but not sci-fi.

Thank god the lock-in to specific different travel methods was removed. I would actually love for the game to support warp/slowboating as well - but so that it is supported for all races. If a player wanted to gimp themselves to only that travel method, they could... and RP a race who never discovered starlines. The laws of physics however are the same for everyone.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Sci-fi and fantasy have massive overlaps

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The trouble with having three travel methods was that it made the tactical map a goddamn mess from square one. Like, defense stations were essentially useless because you couldn't count on enemies coming from any given place at any given time. Hyperlanes was the best movement system for interesting gameplay. We kept the wormhole travel in the form of actual wormholes and gateways which both make the space terrain more interesting. It was a very good change.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SirTagz posted:

I can never understand why people want fundamentally different travel mechanics for different races in space games. They all exist in the same fictional universe. They all follow the same fictional rules. Now somewhy each and every race had a blindspot to different 90% of the laws of the universe and understanding of 10% that all others missed? That is such BS I could never RP around that. It is the kind of 'magic' that is understandable in a fantasy setting but not sci-fi.

Thank god the lock-in to specific different travel methods was removed. I would actually love for the game to support warp/slowboating as well - but so that it is supported for all races. If a player wanted to gimp themselves to only that travel method, they could... and RP a race who never discovered starlines. The laws of physics however are the same for everyone.

IRL scientist checking in: For RP reasons, I think it's completely reasonable for different races in a galaxy-spanning space game to develop different methods of traveling between stars. The laws can be the same throughout the universe (although irl it's looking likely that this isn't even the case), but that doesn't mean that everyone has developed the same models for those laws, nor does everyone have to have equal ability or inclination when it comes to taking advantage of those models

Think of how Rome didn't invent sushi despite having plenty of rice and fish

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

QuarkJets posted:

The laws can be the same throughout the universe (although irl it's looking likely that this isn't even the case),

wait, what

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SirTagz posted:

I don't see problems with that. Take flying, for example: While most people won't realize this, it wasn't just a slow march towards the modern jet plane, as e.g. Zeppelins have a completely different set of abilities, but if sufficiently advanced, not necessarily "worse".

The first Zeppelins for example could easily reach heights no plane could, and were effectively invincible. (They also couldn't hit for poo poo because of this, as it was still WWI, but planes around that time weren't much better.) This is something you could point to to argue why someone could look at the same laws of physics and decide a huge, slow-moving target could be a better choice for what they want then the planes we settled on.

And of course if you're a species living on a planet with a lower amount of fossil fuel then ours has, maybe keeping planes fueled is seem as extravagant nonsense, since you can just slap a cheap ion engine on a Zeppelin to move it around?

It's easy to see how there could be several different approaches to FTL (if FTL were possible) and different species settling on different means depending on their preferences. It has nothing to do with a species "deciding to ignore 90% of their laws of physics".

Edit:

To take a more space-like example, think of how many different sublight concepts we have to propel spacecraft. Wikipedia has an extensive list

Many of those couldn't really be put into a "tech tree" as more or less advanced. They all have their own benefits and drawbacks.

(And of course if a certain type of FTL does have more benefits then drawbacks, nothing would stop an alien species from going "hey, that would work a lot better than our crap" when encountering alien life who tried something different. )

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I think the in-universe explanation for each SOTS race using its own drives is that each best aligns with its own psychology and so each views all the other designs as inferior. Certainly, I can totally see Future Humans going, "Is ours the fastest? Yes? Then gently caress all the other drives."

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Aethernet posted:

I think the in-universe explanation for each SOTS race using its own drives is that each best aligns with its own psychology and so each views all the other designs as inferior. Certainly, I can totally see Future Humans going, "Is ours the fastest? Yes? Then gently caress all the other drives."

Why not use FTL drives AND stargates?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Deuce posted:

Why not use FTL drives AND stargates?

In the SOTS universe the Hivers burned down Paris, and the French will never permit Humanity to touch filthy bug technology.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Getting back into this yet again after, idk., a year or so? What's the current must-have mods? (getting guilli's modifiers ofc)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Spanish Matlock posted:

The trouble with having three travel methods was that it made the tactical map a goddamn mess from square one. Like, defense stations were essentially useless because you couldn't count on enemies coming from any given place at any given time. Hyperlanes was the best movement system for interesting gameplay. We kept the wormhole travel in the form of actual wormholes and gateways which both make the space terrain more interesting. It was a very good change.
Defensive stations are still effectively worthless.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

IRL scientist checking in: For RP reasons, I think it's completely reasonable for different races in a galaxy-spanning space game to develop different methods of traveling between stars. The laws can be the same throughout the universe (although irl it's looking likely that this isn't even the case), but that doesn't mean that everyone has developed the same models for those laws, nor does everyone have to have equal ability or inclination when it comes to taking advantage of those models

Think of how Rome didn't invent sushi despite having plenty of rice and fish

Sure. I buy it that the first thing they invent may be different. But once you learn of other ways to travel, remaining locked into the same solution does not make sense. I take it you can buy sushi in Italy these days, right?

And no country has a significant zeppelin bomber fleet?

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SirTagz posted:

The laws of physics (to our current understanding) say developing FTL is synonymous with developing time travel so you're either slowboating everywhere in your game or you're playing a time travel game or you're ditching the laws of physics and just making something fun. Looking for "realism" is a fool's errand.