Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ID may be bad but it's entertainingly bad at least. Which is better than several Trek movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Eh. It's really tedious. Like, every action scene is about twice as long as it needs to be. By about the fifth minute of scrambling around punching Klingons when Khan shows up, I was already fatigued, then it just kept going.

The finale being like ten solid minutes of Spock punching Khan in the face gets to the point of absurdity.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
When Nemesis ripped off Wrath of Khan it at least had the decency to change the nouns

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

infernal machines posted:

Eh. It's really tedious. Like, every action scene is about twice as long as it needs to be. By about the fifth minute of scrambling around punching Klingons when Khan shows up, I was already fatigued, then it just kept going.

The finale being like ten solid minutes of Spock punching Khan in the face gets to the point of absurdity.

"We need Khan's blood!!", McCoy furiously screams while gazing over 72 other genetically-enhanced people in his immediate vicinity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, khan's blood was undoubtedly the most rich and delicious.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The, "my name is Kkkkkkkhannnnnnn" reveal was cringe inducing. Cumberbatch is a good actor, but not in that trainwreck.

Also 2 minute warp from Klingon space to Earth?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I for one, support the space goatse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Blistex posted:

The, "my name is Kkkkkkkhannnnnnn" reveal was cringe inducing. Cumberbatch is a good actor, but not in that trainwreck.

Also 2 minute warp from Klingon space to Earth?
It doesn't work because nobody in the film he's revealing that to has literally any idea who that's supposed to be.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Khan is also not a particularly unusual name. Well, it is for a very white guy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crusader posted:

there was a startrek.com article last year that argued the delta shape was the fleetwide logo during TOS, it was intended, and it works if you ignore one episode that errored after the “use the delta for other crews” mandate went down - omega glory I think

Sounds insufferable.

So Starships had the delta, Command had the flower, Merchant Marine had the butt, and outposts had the wierd fish, and then you can fanwank the early starships we saw with their own insignia as being on special missions or task groups or something that has their own insignia.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 21, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MikeJF posted:

Sounds insufferable.

So Starships had the delta, Command had the flower, Merchant Marine had the butt, and outposts had the wierd fish, and then you can fanwank the early starships we saw with their own insignia as being on special missions or task groups or something that has their own insignia.
TOS didn't have replicators so you were stuck with whatever was in stores and it could be months or years before you could swap out. I assume shirts with butts on them are what happens when someone tries to pull rank on a supply officer.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZlRt05RY9Y

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Sounds insufferable.

All that and he misspells "craven."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Splicer posted:

I assume shirts with butts on them are what happens when someone tries to pull rank on a supply officer.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah he looks like someone who's say "Don't you know who I am?!?" to the wrong guy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DebonaireD posted:

All that and he misspells "craven."

His secretary misspelled craven :eng101:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

this guy's spacesuit from The Outrageous Okona was loving awesome:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Greybeard in the back there makes me wonder what character Marc Maron would play on Trek.

e: Also, if you told me that was Paul/Leto Atreides from a canceled 90's miniseries I would believe you

Pondex fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 21, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Pondex posted:

Greybeard in the back there makes me wonder what character Marc Maron would play on Trek.

e: Also, if you told me that was Paul/Leto Atreides from a canceled 90's miniseries I would believe you

It's not actually star trek, its Paul and Leto from a cancelled Dune miniseries that was going to air in the 90s

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

His secretary misspelled craven :eng101:

And she sure as gently caress isn't going to retype that whole thing for one typo.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the poor son of a bitch ended up carving "I'm sorry!" into his arm over it

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Infidel Castro posted:

And she sure as gently caress isn't going to retype that whole thing for one typo.

:corsair:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

What does getting high have to do with fixing typos?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Velour uniform looks very cozy.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

alexandriao posted:

It's not actually star trek, its Paul and Leto from a cancelled Dune miniseries that was going to air in the 90s

Oh poo poo. Truth is really stranger than fiction.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

alexandriao posted:

picturing Star Trek where some episodes have the conceit that the Enterprise can't go into warp because Geordi is out of space drugs

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Thats discovery tho, those shrooms man.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

picturing Star Trek where some episodes have the conceit that the Enterprise can't go into warp because Geordi is out of space drugs

https://i.imgur.com/Gyhfw99.mp4

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Collateral posted:

Thats discovery tho, those shrooms man.

Discovery is best when it’s trippy shroom trek. Do that more, Disco.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Did that ship always have a spinning saucer section? I don't remember that from the few episodes I tried to watch.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
It does. "Needlessly things are spinning" is a common thing in that show. There's some "basic landing pods" in one episode that have constantly rotating gyros and lights on them for whatever reason. So many stuff in Discovery is overengineered to such a degree that it reminds of those Dahir Insaat videos.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Did that ship always have a spinning saucer section? I don't remember that from the few episodes I tried to watch.

Yeah, it spins whenever they spore jump. It's not the entire saucer, it's just a plate on top and bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOs_bPKmAQo

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 22, 2021

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fishstick posted:

It does. "Needlessly things are spinning" is a common thing in that show. There's some "basic landing pods" in one episode that have constantly rotating gyros and lights on them for whatever reason. So many stuff in Discovery is overengineered to such a degree that it reminds of those Dahir Insaat videos.
They only used those pods the one time too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

They only used those pods the one time too

Despite having a complex dedicated launch mechanism reminiscent of carnival rides just for them.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So I'm on s5e16 "Ethics" in TNG, the one where Worf wants to kill himself because he's been paralyzed in an accident. They clearly wanted this to be a deep moral/ethical dilemma episode, but it's hilarious how blase everyone except Riker and Crusher are about the whole thing: "Welp, it's the Klingon way, cripples just have to kill themselves. :shrug:" When it's already been established multiple times in the course of the series that asking Worf for guidance about 'the Klingon way' is like asking Forest Whitaker's character in 'Ghost Dog: Way of the Sumarai' about 'the Japanese way'. Hell, Picard is actively arguing in favor of him killing himself and against treatment.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

kill me before my parents and/or brother(s) find out

then kill yourself, alexander. for honor

- morf

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ghost Dog would gently caress Worf up

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Imagined posted:

So I'm on s5e16 "Ethics" in TNG, the one where Worf wants to kill himself because he's been paralyzed in an accident. They clearly wanted this to be a deep moral/ethical dilemma episode, but it's hilarious how blase everyone except Riker and Crusher are about the whole thing: "Welp, it's the Klingon way, cripples just have to kill themselves. :shrug:" When it's already been established multiple times in the course of the series that asking Worf for guidance about 'the Klingon way' is like asking Forest Whitaker's character in 'Ghost Dog: Way of the Sumarai' about 'the Japanese way'. Hell, Picard is actively arguing in favor of him killing himself and against treatment.

Picard has the right stance regarding weebs and saw an opening.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So if TNG was made nowadays, would Worf’s quarters contain various Klingon cartoon character dakimakuras in various states of crunchiness? This would of course be an improvement to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

Discovery is best when it’s trippy shroom trek. Do that more, Disco.

I would love to take a poll of people who say stuff like this about the show and find out how few of them have ever actually used drugs recreationally (exploring mommy's medicine cabinet when you were a preteen doesn't count)

E: to clarify, this show is about as much a trippy acid-fueled adventure as a 13-year-old who brings a bag of crushed oregano to his school is a drug dealer

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 22, 2021