Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Planet X posted:

I am looking for a new wheelset for my Wolverine which is red with lots of chrome (basket and fenders) so looking for a classic looking wheelset. Lots are out of stock, so I have to wait.

How are the Velo Orange wheelsets? Or am I better off asking in the touring thread on this kind of thing? Local shop can get a Ritchey Logic wheelset through QBP but I didn't know if folks here had suggestions. Trying to keep it at or around $500. 700c / disc

I can't vouch for VO, but you can get Velocity Blunt SS in polished silver, it looks great. I have a pair that I really like, and it's a good width for what the Wolverine can handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Test rode a new Trek 520, really loving it! The paint is so much better in person too.

Since group set supply is poo poo right now, a complete build waitlist is all the way out to in mid 2023.
Frame + fork is May this year. That’s fine because I wanted to build it up anyways.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 21, 2021

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

DevCore posted:

Test rode a new Trek 520, really loving it! The paint is so much better in person too.

Since group set supply is poo poo right now, a complete build waitlist it all the way out to in mid 2023.
Frame + fork is May this year. That’s fine because I wanted to build it up anyways.

I have a 520 for touring, it absolutely owns. What colour did you get?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DevCore posted:

Since group set supply is poo poo right now, a complete build waitlist it all the way out to in mid 2023.

holy poo poo

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

sat on my keys! posted:

I have a 520 for touring, it absolutely owns. What colour did you get?

Was going to put down for the Diablo Red. Absolutely owns in the daylight.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Biggus Duckus posted:

I can't vouch for VO, but you can get Velocity Blunt SS in polished silver, it looks great. I have a pair that I really like, and it's a good width for what the Wolverine can handle.

I personally strongly recommend against the velocity blunt SS for touring. The rim has a low load limit and they loving mean it. I've had four fail, I'm sick of warrantying them and am switching over to DT's for my commuter.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

DevCore posted:

Was going to put down for the Diablo Red. Absolutely owns in the daylight.

Hell yeah. I have that same one and it looks dope as hell.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

spf3million posted:

I rode 100km today and my right shifter stopped shifting into the 3 or 4 fastest gears halfway through. Got home and fortunately it was just the shifter cable that spontaneously self combusted and nothing wrong with the shifter itself. I had to dig a dozen tiny shards of cable out of the shifter mechanism. Unfortunately the cable was internally routed and the ptfe sheath I had access to had too big of an OD to fit through the hole in the down tube. Had to fish that fucker out of the tiniest slit under the BB with a bent poker tool. Talk about satisfying though once I got it!

All said and done, great bike day.

congrats on the metric ton, those are Good Days.

I also lost access to most of my cassette a few weeks ago. It became a game of riding with what the bike would give me, and not stressing out about it too much.

The problem was the same as yours, but at the other end of the bike:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Apr 7, 2003

I just found out that the weird metal lump on a cable by my handlebars is a barrel for adjusting the front derailleur.

Wish I'd have known that a year ago when I was loving with the high / low limit screws to get onto the big ring.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

meltie posted:

I also lost access to most of my cassette a few weeks ago. It became a game of riding with what the bike would give me, and not stressing out about it too much.

is this shimano first-gen 11-speed (9000, 8000, 7000 series)? They're known to shred the end of cables like that. I don't know if they fixed it in the current gen

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Clark Nova posted:

is this shimano first-gen 11-speed (9000, 8000, 7000 series)? They're known to shred the end of cables like that. I don't know if they fixed it in the current gen

Yeah, 11-speed 105 - well spotted and thank you - I did not know that!

(I blamed it on the Jagwire that the PO used)

Apr 7, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Is 7000-series first-gen 11 speed? I thought the 7-series 105s were the current generation.

Apr 7, 2003

Seeing people in this thread talk about waiting years for groupset components makes me paranoid as gently caress about maintaining our bikes.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Is 7000-series first-gen 11 speed? I thought the 7-series 105s were the current generation.

oops, you're right, I meant the 5800, 6800 etc. generation. I think it's caused by the shifter mechanism having a super tight bend right at the end of the cable

Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, my 7000-series 105 groupsets have been utterly bulletproof and a pleasure to ride. I've thought about buying up to dura-ace or ultegra once parts wear out but that poo poo's utterly wasted on me and my aluminum-frame bikes.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Clark Nova posted:

i've recently found out that steel cable has a minimum working bend radius of 40x its diameter.

"You can get away with 20x but it reduces the life greatly"

That was in Tim Hunkin's new video, The Secret Life of Components - Chains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZN0PBBzEHw

(steel cable bit starts at 44:25 but the whole video is great)

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 22, 2021

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Yeah, my 7000-series 105 groupsets have been utterly bulletproof and a pleasure to ride. I've thought about buying up to dura-ace or ultegra once parts wear out but that poo poo's utterly wasted on me and my aluminum-frame bikes.

same

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Shimano has not fixed the problem with STI munching cables.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone ridden in the Allegheny National Forest? Looks like tons of dirt roads, pretty steep stuff. Trying to figure out tire choice and there isn’t a ton of info available.

Something like this:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/13684226

Apr 7, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Anyone ridden in the Allegheny National Forest? Looks like tons of dirt roads, pretty steep stuff. Trying to figure out tire choice and there isn’t a ton of info available.

Something like this:
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/13684226

Do not stop there for anything, that region of Pennsylvania is full of utterly insane xenophobic people.

Ride your bike and get the gently caress out

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
The worst is 9-speed Ultegra with the cables coming out the side, they always eat the heads and it's a chore to get all the little bits out of the mechanism, because it's not like it broke off in the highest gear.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do not stop there for anything, that region of Pennsylvania is full of utterly insane xenophobic people.

Ride your bike and get the gently caress out

I’m going to camp among the hill people out there. Maybe I’ll die?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

meltie posted:

Yep, mine looked almost identical.

Shimano Ultegra 11 speed, ST-R8020 shifters.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Seeing people in this thread talk about waiting years for groupset components makes me paranoid as gently caress about maintaining our bikes.

the earth is littered with bike components; the JIT chain for new ones is the only part that's disrupted. it may keep you off a specific bike, but it won't keep you off bikes in general

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well my kmc chain only had 1700ish miles on it and looked ok with a straight edge measurement but I went ahead and bought a new one and it was definitely pretty stretched when I hung it next to the new one.

new chain sounds great and runs smooth, hope this one will last longer, otherwise I'm done with this brand

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

Shimano has not fixed the problem with STI munching cables.

False.

They fixed it with ultegra di2.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
When I go awhile without riding my di2 road bike I forget. I did new cable and housing, chain, cassette on my cx bike and have been mostly been riding that, thinking "yeah, nice, this is good!" Then I got out for a road ride the other day and realized that it's not even close. Also I had to shift into the little ring on a hill which was strange coming from zwift with it's adjustable trainer difficulty.

Oh, and I bought a new gold kmc for the road bike expecting mine to be worn but nope, still good. like 1200 outside miles since i put it on last year plus another "2500" on zwift over the winter. the one i had on my hardtail went a long time too.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Garmin Rally RK100, RK200, RS100, RS200, XC100, XC200

RK = KeO
RS = SPD-SL
XC = SPD
100/200 = Single/Dual

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:perfect:

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I'm always looking for new ways to have my bike fail on me. Added a fresh one to the list. :toot:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

oops, you're right, I meant the 5800, 6800 etc. generation. I think it's caused by the shifter mechanism having a super tight bend right at the end of the cable

I have 105 5800 on my bike and as ashamed as I am to say this, I'm still running the original cables from 2017. Maybe I should replace them, but I have no shifting issues.

Also, drat Good Dog. What crank is that? Looks like it was just the extractor bolt though.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Ok just test rode a Midnight Special and pretty great but HOLY poo poo, the frame + fork is $685 and the complete is $2099 😰 how does a 1x11 groupset + wheel set run an extra $1400

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DevCore posted:

Ok just test rode a Midnight Special and pretty great but HOLY poo poo, the frame + fork is $685 and the complete is $2099 😰 how does a 1x11 groupset + wheel set run an extra $1400

Go price out the same components individually and you'll see. Don't forget all the other parts that make up a complete bike, like bars & tape, stem, cables, tires, seat post, saddle, and the other little random bits plus the labor of putting it together.

Complete bikes are cheaper than piecemeal 99% of the time. You don't do a ground-up build from a bare frame to save money.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 22, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Good Dog posted:

I'm always looking for new ways to have my bike fail on me. Added a fresh one to the list. :toot:

Did the crank bolts just fail? Looks like it slid right off.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm looking at grabbing a set of bibs and have a fit question. I'm on the cusp of L and XL, I'm assuming it's a better idea to go with the smaller size?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

highme posted:

I'm looking at grabbing a set of bibs and have a fit question. I'm on the cusp of L and XL, I'm assuming it's a better idea to go with the smaller size?

Yes unless you're 9 feet tall.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you on the borderline according to the size chart for what you're looking at buying? might be worth checking reviews to see if the product is actually sized properly to the size charts.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm on the cusp of their specified sizing. They're from Cadence who's no longer producing stuff, but they have a few pairs of the Adventure Bibs left. I'm 6' with a 32-34" waist depending on how long I've been in quarantine. L are for 5'10" to 6' 32-34" waist and XL is 6'-6'2" with 34-36" waist.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Guinness posted:

Go price out the same components individually and you'll see. Don't forget all the other parts that make up a complete bike, like bars & tape, stem, cables, tires, seat post, saddle, and the other little random bits plus the labor of putting it together.

Complete bikes are cheaper than piecemeal 99% of the time. You don't do a ground-up build from a bare frame to save money.

Oh totally, the Trek went from $750 f+f to $1400 complete. The 3x price tag had me :captainpop:ing, especially for a steel frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

highme posted:

I'm on the cusp of their specified sizing. They're from Cadence who's no longer producing stuff, but they have a few pairs of the Adventure Bibs left. I'm 6' with a 32-34" waist depending on how long I've been in quarantine. L are for 5'10" to 6' 32-34" waist and XL is 6'-6'2" with 34-36" waist.

sounds like large it's the way to go. I always ignore the height portion on the charts because my height would put me in xxxl or some poo poo. waist and chest are good enough for me