Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cars: nooo you can't overtake 100m of stationary traffic waiting at a light

Cyclists: haha chain go clickkkkk

Seriously if you're in a euro city that's making even a little effort to be cycle friendly, get a cheap bike, it's goddamn life changing.

Also tryhard commuter cyclists belting along at 15mph on pavements is bad bad bad do not go on the pavement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Volmarias posted:

I actually did get yelled at by a cop on foot once for it, but it was 20 years ago and I don't think they would have chased me or anything.

:shrug:

There's one cop around who gives people tickets for riding their bike across intersections if they push the button. Just stupid.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I ride in a city with loads of bike lanes, otherwise I ride on the road, as that's the law. One the footpath a bike is a menace to pedestrians in the same way that a car is a menace to bikes on the road, so it's not really fair of me to prioritise my safety over that of others when it was my choice to ride.

I just didn't ride at all when I lived in a city with crap cycling infrastructure though, that poo poo is suicidal.

The assholes in huge dual cab utes who are furious that I have to ride on the road for one single block between bike lanes and actively try to kill me? I lust for their deaths. Chill the gently caress out we're all just trying to go to work.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
admin portal has password requirements:

1) must be greater than one character in length
2) that's it

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

SniperWoreConverse posted:

admin portal has password requirements:

1) must be greater than one character in length
2) that's it

My favourite is when there's a maximum character limit, and then all further requirements just make it easier to brute force

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Currently debating on whether to put in my two weeks this week or next due to several factors. Waiting to hear back from a job I interviewed for which said they'd call last Friday but didn't, and also need to call my employee insurance co.oany to see if my coverage would end immediately nd id have to go on cobra or if it would last to the end of the month.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Splode posted:

My favourite is when there's a maximum character limit, and then all further requirements just make it easier to brute force

I haven't even thought of that before and now the whole concept just became incredibly hilarious.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Our new inventory/customer software and implementation has been a flaming sack of poo poo from day one. My current favorite thing is that it can't handle 2 customers having the same name even if they have different account numbers. So now we have John Smith, John Lnot actual middle initial Smith, John(space)(space)Smith, and other variations. Oh and the search is so poo poo that if I put in John Smith it won't show me the others. So better hope you know the account number or whatever random variation that guy gets. How is sorting customers and searching not a solved issue in 2021?

Of course none of this clusterfuck is the fault of my boss's son who chose the software in secret without input from sales or production staff who actually work there full-time and were able to spot a poo poo ton of problems in the first 10 min of our "training". Nope it's all our fault for not being on board and "throwing wrenches" in the process.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Atticus_1354 posted:

Our new inventory/customer software and implementation has been a flaming sack of poo poo from day one. My current favorite thing is that it can't handle 2 customers having the same name even if they have different account numbers. So now we have John Smith, John Lnot actual middle initial Smith, John(space)(space)Smith, and other variations. Oh and the search is so poo poo that if I put in John Smith it won't show me the others. So better hope you know the account number or whatever random variation that guy gets. How is sorting customers and searching not a solved issue in 2021?

Of course none of this clusterfuck is the fault of my boss's son who chose the software in secret without input from sales or production staff who actually work there full-time and were able to spot a poo poo ton of problems in the first 10 min of our "training". Nope it's all our fault for not being on board and "throwing wrenches" in the process.

:staredog:

Babby's First Taebls

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Splode posted:

Had a password with rules that said:

Must be 8 characters long
Must include 2 numbers
Cannot include special characters
May not contain any English words

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
aaaaaa11 seems pretty good to me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

aaaaaa11 seems pretty good to me

Abcdef12 was enough people's passwords in the system that people could login into almost anyones account as long as I knew their name.

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra

wooger posted:

Tell us about how you thoroughly sanitise the laptop before leaving the bathroom and having it touch other things, or your hands touch other things after touching it.
I think you're entirely missing the forest (I can poo poo) for the trees (during meetings).

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Splode posted:

For some of the systems I work on they give me a choice of several passwords made up of randomised characters. I have to pick one of them.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

DrunkMidget posted:

I think you're entirely missing the forest (I can poo poo) for the trees (during meetings).

but why mix business and pleasure

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Because there's something rebellious about opening the gates to hell and releasing all of your epicurean sins while some fuckin jackass is presenting the quarterly numbers on the 2398174th powerpoint deck of the day

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The password requirements for one of our systems is so restrictive that I am having a hard time coming up with new ones.
Not only do we have to change it every 30 days but your new one cannot be within X characters of similarity to ANY of your old ones, on top of seven other qualifiers.

Some people that have been here a long time are using generators that make a string too complex to remember, so they write it on a post-it and stick it to the monitor like it's the first hour of Deus Ex.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Inzombiac posted:

The password requirements for one of our systems is so restrictive that I am having a hard time coming up with new ones.
Not only do we have to change it every 30 days but your new one cannot be within X characters of similarity to ANY of your old ones, on top of seven other qualifiers.

Some people that have been here a long time are using generators that make a string too complex to remember, so they write it on a post-it and stick it to the monitor like it's the first hour of Deus Ex.

My mom's friend had a boarder living with her who was so paranoid about internet stuff that he generated massive long passwords like that (for the wi-fi) but yes, he'd absolutely leave the post-it somewhere in plain sight.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Inzombiac posted:

To force people into two factor authentication in my old job you had to set up two passwords. One was 26 characters long with required capitalization, special characters and numbers to be used when you forgot your badge at home. The other one was the normal eight characters with numbers and symbols.

The problems came in when for many of us the 26 character password became our only way to log into the system when the company launched 2FA before getting the badge reader keyboards to everyone. It was basically standard that every monitor had a post it note with the user's password for the next month or so while we waited on our new keyboards.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Lazyfire posted:

To force people into two factor authentication in my old job you had to set up two passwords. One was 26 characters long with required capitalization, special characters and numbers to be used when you forgot your badge at home. The other one was the normal eight characters with numbers and symbols.

The problems came in when for many of us the 26 character password became our only way to log into the system when the company launched 2FA before getting the badge reader keyboards to everyone. It was basically standard that every monitor had a post it note with the user's password for the next month or so while we waited on our new keyboards.

Goddamn. Our system is card-only so you can't work at all without it plugged in. The monthly password reset I'm talking about is for a no-longer-supported method of logging on.
So not only is it a pain in the rear end to make a new password, it happens very frequently and it's not something we're allowed to use anymore.

But if you forget to make a new password? Oh boy, your boss is gonna hear about it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I was listening to a podcast about the LinkedIn hack and part of it had tons of passwords released. The host noted a massive number were “123456” or “linkedin.”

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Volmarias posted:

:staredog:

Babby's First Taebls

If one index is good, more indexes are better. Better make them unique because...I can’t figure out how to finish this sentence.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I was listening to a podcast about the LinkedIn hack and part of it had tons of passwords released. The host noted a massive number were “123456” or “linkedin.”

When was the LI hack? Is that from years ago, or somewhat new?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

happyhippy posted:

No Meetings Fridays.
Just means 'Permanent Three Day Weekends' for upper managers.

Yep, my specific group within my company started doing that a month ago. Surprise us artist grunts weren’t really able to get away with that because we have deadlines to meet and if it weren’t for having a very benevolent manager and producer we wouldn’t be able to take advantage of it, but we’re logging “downtime” to use in the future if we miss a no meeting Friday. I’ve got like four days of “down time” to play with when we see the end of a few projects.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If one index is good, more indexes are better. Better make them unique because...I can’t figure out how to finish this sentence.

"Works in test with the three people I placed into the table, and come on, how likely is it that you get multiple people with the same name anyway?"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To be fair to monitor post it notes JC Denton is probably not going to be visiting your office any time soon so it's not the worst amount of physical security you could expect.

It feels like we collectively lose our poo poo as a society about passwords every once in a while. My current policy is at defcon 5: 15 character alphanumeric caps and symbols, plus occasional 2FA.

Being contract based the policy is also to follow this on client systems whenever possible which lord I try but sometimes I need to log in to industrial hand helds that have hard keyboards not especially meant for typing. So I can either spend 5 minutes logging in or set my password to Butts321 for that period.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Kinda surprised larger companies haven't gone for biometric passwords.

Of course your fingerprints are not company property

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zarin posted:

When was the LI hack? Is that from years ago, or somewhat new?

2012, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_LinkedIn_hack

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

My current 2FA requires a short password and an approval of a push notification from your cell phone, which is about as close to a biometric login as you'll see. I hate the "insert card" systems with a passion. Some of them require that the card sit in the system to keep the computer unlocked, so walking away without your badge and leaving the computer unlocked at the same time is pretty easy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

Biometrics might be capable of technically high entropy but it's a question with a definite answer, and the answer doesn't change. That's probably fine for random employees but would be inappropriate for anyone with access to actually privileged data or systems.

Unless we are talking like brain activity scans during something like a baseline test from Bladerunner to add a bit of dynamicism.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

My tactic is that I just make sure all my work is wrong and stupid so hackers don’t get anything of value when they hack me.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Noblesse Obliged posted:

My tactic is that I just make sure all my work is wrong and stupid so hackers don’t get anything of value when they hack me.

Same but my whole company and everything we do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Outrail posted:

Current law does not yet allow for corporate revocation of fingerprints.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

Current law does not yet allow for corporate revocation of fingerprints.

Good thing corps are so diligent when it comes to matters of the law.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

If someone wants to break into our office, disable the alarm, find the sticky note under my keyboard with my password, then log into my pc and start deleting relevant information from our department drive (we have backups) they can be my guest

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

titty_baby_ posted:

If someone wants to break into our office, disable the alarm, find the sticky note under my keyboard with my password, then log into my pc and start deleting relevant information from our department drive (we have backups) they can be my guest

Usually the bigger concern is that someone will take your ID and password if they have it and either sell it to a competitor/foreign entity or use it to access data they shouldn't have. Anytime I wanted to I could have gone over to someone's computer and sent files directly to a foreign national in my old job because of easily visible passwords and/or because people never locked their computers. The chances for it are incredibly small, but I did once watch a supervisor use someone's unlocked computer to send a resignation letter for the employee to the president as a way to teach them a lesson about locking their computer. For some reason the supervisor was upset to learn not everyone thought that was funny or a good idea.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

zedprime posted:

Biometrics might be capable of technically high entropy but it's a question with a definite answer, and the answer doesn't change.

That's the big problem. A few years back a UK security company, whoops, left their database of millions of fingerprints and facial data exposed to the internet. (and left it exposed for a week after discovery because they hung up on people trying to let them know.)

Perhaps the victims could get the company to pay for that mafia-style fingerprint changing surgery. :v:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The data we have stored ranges from "publicly available" to "could be embarassing". Theres no trade secrets, no financial stuff, nothing that could be used against us.

My former coworker here has a roommate who works for another org which has a department like mine but much more legitimate and on a larger scale. They posted a job thats essentially my position and I guess no one qualified has applied. I told former coworker I was interested, and he told his roommate, who told the org, and they've been asking about me and have reached out thru the grapevine to get my email. Im an ideal candidate since I wouldn't need any sort of training, and the pay is a little better with similar benefits.

However, they're over an hours drive away. They have a van pool from my town and they may do a 4-10s kind of schedule, or a partial work from home schedule, but I just can't bring myself to spend 2 hours a day commuting. Their sampling project is much larger then ours and involves delivery to a lab even further away. Im really torn over this.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

titty_baby_ posted:

The data we have stored ranges from "publicly available" to "could be embarassing". Theres no trade secrets, no financial stuff, nothing that could be used against us.

My former coworker here has a roommate who works for another org which has a department like mine but much more legitimate and on a larger scale. They posted a job thats essentially my position and I guess no one qualified has applied. I told former coworker I was interested, and he told his roommate, who told the org, and they've been asking about me and have reached out thru the grapevine to get my email. Im an ideal candidate since I wouldn't need any sort of training, and the pay is a little better with similar benefits.

However, they're over an hours drive away. They have a van pool from my town and they may do a 4-10s kind of schedule, or a partial work from home schedule, but I just can't bring myself to spend 2 hours a day commuting. Their sampling project is much larger then ours and involves delivery to a lab even further away. Im really torn over this.

the commute won't be as bad as you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

boar guy posted:

the commute won't be as bad as you think

W R O N G
R
O
N